Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

No, this is when you gently caress with him and pull out some poo poo like "Man, I dunno, there's something really muddying the highs after you did that", bonus points for pointing out reduced clarity in the strings if it's a classical piece. Extra bonus points if you can pull off something about the strings when no strings are present in the music and he still buys it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Great thread, just read all of it. I never knew about audiophile power cables until this thread. I found this picture of one of those garden hose power cables, which is connected via a standard extension cable, then into a regular-ish power outlet, which has a normal thin cable going to a socket... what exactly do they think this magic cable can do after the current has passed through all the standard wires? Not to mention the tiny wire in their household fuse and standard power cabling in their home.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Pilsner posted:

Great thread, just read all of it. I never knew about audiophile power cables until this thread. I found this picture of one of those garden hose power cables, which is connected via a standard extension cable, then into a regular-ish power outlet, which has a normal thin cable going to a socket... what exactly do they think this magic cable can do after the current has passed through all the standard wires? Not to mention the tiny wire in their household fuse and standard power cabling in their home.

"Thinking" rarely has anything to do with these sorts of questions.

A better word would be "rationalize".

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Go big or go home:

It's a 100 amp power cable for a Yacht.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
My absolute favorite thing about these products aren't the analog ones; you can always reach for an impossibly clean signal with analog equipment, so it's easy for people with more money than sense to fall for it. Analog is spooky to these people.

It's the digital stuff that really blows my mind. HDMI cables that claim to enhance contrast and color depth, or USB cables that somehow modify the data stream for clearer treble.

There's an exploitation here that goes beyond regular audiophile bullshit.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

BANME.sh posted:

Do us a favor and try to explain to them how digital transports function. Then tell us whether it's exploitation or just a continuation of their bullshitting.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BANME.sh posted:

My absolute favorite thing about these products aren't the analog ones; you can always reach for an impossibly clean signal with analog equipment, so it's easy for people with more money than sense to fall for it. Analog is spooky to these people.

It's the digital stuff that really blows my mind. HDMI cables that claim to enhance contrast and color depth, or USB cables that somehow modify the data stream for clearer treble.

Are you kidding? Digital scares the poo poo out of these people. It's not an audiophile thing, it's a human thing. Do you know how many times a day I have to tell people at work that they won't see a speed increase spending 5 figures going from GbE over copper to GbE over fiber?

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

Are you kidding? Digital scares the poo poo out of these people. It's not an audiophile thing, it's a human thing. Do you know how many times a day I have to tell people at work that they won't see a speed increase spending 5 figures going from GbE over copper to GbE over fiber?

You obviously don't have a good handle on the encapsulation technology and how important it is when pushing pure quality audio at 1.5 Mbps. Ethernet is known for stomping out all the upper/lower vibrant RGB hue saturation and is basically a plebeian data link layer to be honest, sorry. Fibre channel frames have 5 bits left over to be turned on and off via the users preference, these include adjustable high muddyness levels, two soundstage settings (The Met, MSG), Hawking Black Hole (on/off), plus two more experimental settings we only share with customers. WinAmp jitter is basically a thing of the past on this tech.

This puts all the fluffers out of work, but progress is progress.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Herv posted:

plus two more experimental settings we only share with customers.

I know one of them is stage placement!
When enabled you can close your eyes and tell exactly where everyone was standing during the recording session.

I was thinking it would have been great to have done this thread 100% tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic (with a title to match). Would have been hilarious to see random goons posting in here and losing their poo poo thinking we were serious and spending more on cables and magic crystals than the posters at AI were on new cars.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Blistex posted:

I know one of them is stage placement!
When enabled you can close your eyes and tell exactly where everyone was standing during the recording session.

I was thinking it would have been great to have done this thread 100% tongue-in-cheek/sarcastic (with a title to match). Would have been hilarious to see random goons posting in here and losing their poo poo thinking we were serious and spending more on cables and magic crystals than the posters at AI were on new cars.

The best part of the stage placement test is switching from mono to stereo and back when you change cables (don't really change cables, just switch mono/stereo).

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Just thinking about this, and I can't fathom the lack of cognitive dissonance these people have.

Unless they are using a battery backup or something, how could this possibly make any difference in their minds? It's like taking tap water from your town water supply, and running it through a section of gold pipe directly before your kitchen tap. All you've done is take the exact same thing (water/electricity) and run it through something very expensive, that in no way affects the quality of it.

Hell that picture is like the same analogy, but at some point in time your water has been filtered through a used gym sock (the APC taskbar).

:psyduck: I can understand the whole expensive speaker cable "thing", as proper shielding can make a difference when analyzing the signal using very sensitive scientific equipment, but this will in no way help the "cleanliness" of the electricity, unless those last 6' from your taskbar to the stereo happen to pass under a transmission tower. I think this might rank higher on the bullshit scale with me than Magic Crystals, as the very obvious is staring you right in the face with these cables.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Well friend, that's not an issue because they first run it through their $3000 A/C conditioner (not pictured) to clean the electricity first.

It's like you don't know anything.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blistex posted:

All you've done is take the exact same thing (water/electricity) and run it through something very expensive
To these people, this is the part that matters

quote:

, that in no way affects the quality of it.
This is the part that doesn't.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
I know I am just giving somebody out there an idea, but I am surprised I haven't heard of audiophile products that change the ratio of gases in the room to attain better sound propagation through the air. Or at the very least, an air conditioner marketed towards audiophiles. Because as we all know, colder air is better at cleaning up muddy bass. Soon we should see listening rooms built inside walk-in freezers.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

BANME.sh posted:

I know I am just giving somebody out there an idea, but I am surprised I haven't heard of audiophile products that change the ratio of gases in the room to attain better sound propagation through the air. Or at the very least, an air conditioner marketed towards audiophiles. Because as we all know, colder air is better at cleaning up muddy bass. Soon we should see listening rooms built inside walk-in freezers.

The colder room will also improve thermal noise, and I'd bet those air molecules moving about creates noise too.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

longview posted:

The colder room will also improve thermal noise, and I'd bet those air molecules moving about creates noise too.

:monocle: it's all so simple

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Khablam posted:

Well friend, that's not an issue because they first run it through their $3000 A/C conditioner (not pictured) to clean the electricity first.

It's like you don't know anything.

I totally get you, (not autistic).

My other problem is that they are powering their stereo as follows.

Battery bank/AC conditioner -> $50 Surge Protector -> $2000+ cable -> Stereo

You'd think just from their "more money = better" philosophy, they wouldn't let that stand, as everyone knows, anything under $2k is going to dirty the power going to your stereo and ruin the sound. It's both glaringly obvious, and not an expensive component. You'd think at least one of those would get to all the audiophiles.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Maybe they think Expensive Cables do something to 'clean up' signals (somehow) instead of just preserving signal?

BANME.sh posted:

For the purest listening experience you need to chill your listening lounge to -40 and replace the air with pure hydrogen gas.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
While we're at it why not replace that dreaded fleshy "ear" segment of the transmission chain with something that doesn't degrade over the years of use and aging and instead uses a load of buzzwords from a 1970s sci fi show.

Also the ear nerve.

And obviously the brain attached to it, who knows what kinds of messy distortions are introduced in there.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 4, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
How about funnels that hook onto each ear so that you are getting 'reference' sound into your ear canal, that otherwise might be distorted by different ear shapes and sizes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
The non-repeatability and inconsistencies in the human body cause variance in sound vibration propagation.

The holy way to get truly "pure" sound is to have a completely sealed off, unoccupied listening space. (Further, you should consider having the space be a vacuum, to prevent distortion from convection eddies in the air.)

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

By the way, I wonder how audiophiles handle the 300-hour burn-in periods that they claim some speakers, devices and cables have. Do they come home with their new equipment, put it on together, put on a piece of music on loop, then run out of their listening room with their fingers in their ears and not return until a month later? Or do they begin listening right away, and apologize to themselves for listening to what is sub-optimal, not burned-in?

I wouldn't be surprised that they count the hours the equipment has been on, then when the day comes that they've hit the mark, they put on a CD and go "ahhh yes... THIS is what it's supposed to sound like!".

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
You can buy burn-in equipment that sends various signals through the audio equipment. I don't know if they have any that claim to speed up the process or not.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Any science wizards care to explain if there is any difference between a brand new cable that has never been used, a cable that has had 1 second of sound played through it, and a cable with 300 hours of sound played through it. Is there some manner of subtle change to it at the molecular, atomic, or even sub-atomic level? Any at all?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Blistex posted:

Any science wizards care to explain if there is any difference between a brand new cable that has never been used, a cable that has had 1 second of sound played through it, and a cable with 300 hours of sound played through it. Is there some manner of subtle change to it at the molecular, atomic, or even sub-atomic level? Any at all?

Only if you're an audiophile. If anything, a conductor would degrade infinitesimally over time due to normal aging and such.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Blistex posted:

No.

Just, no.

Honestly, if I could come up with a decent pseudo-scientific answer I'd be running my own massive online scam audiophile website already.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Blistex posted:

I totally get you, (not autistic).

My other problem is that they are powering their stereo as follows.

Battery bank/AC conditioner -> $50 Surge Protector -> $2000+ cable -> Stereo

You'd think just from their "more money = better" philosophy, they wouldn't let that stand, as everyone knows, anything under $2k is going to dirty the power going to your stereo and ruin the sound. It's both glaringly obvious, and not an expensive component. You'd think at least one of those would get to all the audiophiles.

Sure, there are those who replace one component that isn't the bottleneck and claim wonderous results, but more pitiable are the ones who will replace every component in the chain.
$1000 surge protectors are a thing.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Socket Ryanist posted:

Have audiophiles given a justification for why they still use unbalanced connections between components? You'd think if they're so concerned with audio quality they'd use one of the most universally agreed-upon techniques for cutting out noise.

More then a few high end components use balanced connections. To be totally fair balanced connections only quash common-mode noise so if you don't have a lot of that there probably won't be a huge difference either way.

Also balanced connections require conversion inside the components so unbalanced is technically a simpler signal path. I guess that could be your audiophile hook for unbalanced connections.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Blistex posted:

It's more that things like speakers actually do have a burn in period, and stupid people make the "logical" leap that if speakers need to burn in, the rest of their audio equipment does too.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Pilsner posted:

By the way, I wonder how audiophiles handle the 300-hour burn-in periods that they claim some speakers, devices and cables have. Do they come home with their new equipment, put it on together, put on a piece of music on loop, then run out of their listening room with their fingers in their ears and not return until a month later? Or do they begin listening right away, and apologize to themselves for listening to what is sub-optimal, not burned-in?

I wouldn't be surprised that they count the hours the equipment has been on, then when the day comes that they've hit the mark, they put on a CD and go "ahhh yes... THIS is what it's supposed to sound like!".

I burned my Magnepans in by just selecting a 100 song list every once and a while and letting it play out while I went upstairs/out to do other stuff.

Most people just put a CD on repeat for a week.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tweeters break in within seconds. Woofers within minutes.

I guess if you have brand new speakers, re running your calibration stuff after a couple days of use wouldn't hurt.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I liked the description i stumbled on when looking for explanations of "burn-in" that "Nothing" changes in the cable "but something changes in the space between the L and R".

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I'm gonna start a trepanning service for audiophiles.

"Worried about your non-standard ears degrading the pure audio quality you've achieved with your sound system? No more! Now you can absorb sound directly in to your brain!"

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Even if you build the perfect listening room the imperfect shape of your head and body would still distort the sound. To combat this, cover your body in egg cartons.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Khablam posted:

Sure, there are those who replace one component that isn't the bottleneck and claim wonderous results, but more pitiable are the ones who will replace every component in the chain.
$1000 surge protectors are a thing.

I got a Monster surge protector. I think they are around 100-200 dollars. But it came FREE with a TV purchase I made back in '03. It has different labels for different equipment per socket, I ignore the gently caress out of those labels since they don't seem to do jack poo poo. I really don't understand some of this crazy audiophile poo poo.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I really don't understand some of this crazy audiophile poo poo.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

don't (...) do jack poo poo. crazy (...) poo poo.
Sounds like you understand it perfectly well. :)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
well there you go.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

longview posted:

Even if you build the perfect listening room the imperfect shape of your head and body would still distort the sound. To combat this, cover your body in egg cartons.

You might be on to something. I'm seeing some kind of helmet that compensates for the shape of the individual audiophile's head.

When you make it, I only want 10%.

Patch
Jan 13, 2008

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I got a Monster surge protector. I think they are around 100-200 dollars. But it came FREE with a TV purchase I made back in '03. It has different labels for different equipment per socket, I ignore the gently caress out of those labels since they don't seem to do jack poo poo. I really don't understand some of this crazy audiophile poo poo.

Not to defend Monster or their prices, but those labels are just for convenience. If you want to unplug a specific component for some reason, you just look at the label rather than tracing the cords back to the equipment to see which cable goes to what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.

Mister Kingdom posted:

You might be on to something. I'm seeing some kind of helmet that compensates for the shape of the individual audiophile's head.

When you make it, I only want 10%.

Real audiophiles just style their hair into big pyramidal spikes.