Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I'd hope their tactic is to reveal stuff like that after pledges start to flag a bit. That said did they ever give much concrete detail during their first kickstarter?

The entire pitch for Broken Age was "Tim Schafer Adventure Game". Which, I think, was understandable and reasonable given the initial scope was an iPhone game and a documentary covering how it was made from concept to release.

GhostBoy posted:

Soliciting community feedback based on that seems like it is just going to turn into a lot of "like X, but different" bullshit suggestions, understandable only to those who played the other games.

Basically I think it's weird they don't have at least a somewhat firmer grasp of their own game, before they start asking the community for feedback, giving only other games as reference. Heck, a few example of possible gameplay scenarios would go miles. Backers may be good for adjusting the course of a game or feature, but I maintain they, like any committee, suck at designing from scratch.

If it's anything like Broken Age then "community feedback" could really be summarized as "community brainstorming". DF ask a question then get lots of ideas in response which are then filtered by people who actually know what they're doing.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is it me, or is Massive Chalice not doing nearly as well as the other big game kickstarters?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is it me, or is Massive Chalice not doing nearly as well as the other big game kickstarters?

I'm certainly not interested until they give us some more information. "Tim Schafer is making an adventure game" was all I needed to hear last time, but "Double Fine is making a strategy game" doesn't sound nearly as appealing. I haven't actually enjoyed any of their games except Psychonauts and Costume Quest.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Comrade Flynn posted:

Most other big game Kickstarters which have got large funding have called back to a previous type of game [Adventure games, cRPGs, Wing Commander]. For a brand new IP by a relatively unknown name (how many people know who Brad Muir is?) in a genre with a comparatively smaller following it's doing pretty well, I think.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Comrade Flynn posted:

That's the thing, it really isn't a "big game" kickstarter. It isn't Tim Schafer helming it, it's just "a game by some dudes at DoubleFine." It's doing fine in terms of the bigger games, once you ignore the Tim Schafer / Al Lowe / etc name-driven ones.

You'll probably see more of these, as kickstarter-funded studios grow to multiple team size, and the b-team group will always fund lower. Though seemingly, they still got more than enough push to make their min goal, which is the important part for keeping the studio alive.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

It's doing fine, as long as you don't compare it to the three "Hey guys, you liked Black Isle RPGs, right?" and the "Hey, Tim Schafer/Ragnar Tornquist will make another LucasArts-style adventure game" kickstarters.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

KuroKisei posted:

With the success of the Oculus Rift Kickstarter the and Virtuix's Omni (the omnidirectional treadmill) who are starting a Kickstarter in a few days; it looks there is another new gadget trying to capitalise on the immersion train. :toot:

ARAIG (As Real As It Gets)

It looks like a vest with a heap of vibrating sensors and muscle stimulators. I'm pretty sure that this isn't a new concept (except for the multiple sensors that would need to be specifically accounted for by the game developer), but how well do these things actually work?? Sure the thing sits great on the guy in the demo, but how well would fit the average goon? Also, who the gently caress sticks a big cylindrical subwoofer on the back like that?

Edit: Looks like my two questions are actually answered in the FAQ.

it has to work exactly like this or no buy :colbert:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The soundtrack for the Kickstarted Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded has been revealed. They somehow managed to get Austin Wintory (the guy who was Grammy nominated for the Journey soundtrack) to make the soundtrack, and from what I've briefly heard, it's pretty good!
You can listen to it (and buy it) from Austin Wintory's Bandcamp. Or, if you've pledged 25 bucks or more, you'll get a download link (at some point).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Comrade Flynn posted:

From talking to people I think there's a decent amount of people really dislking that they're basically entirely banking on "Guys guys...it's DoubleFine!" and have zero solid information to go off.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Tatum Girlparts posted:

From talking to people I think there's a decent amount of people really dislking that they're basically entirely banking on "Guys guys...it's DoubleFine!" and have zero solid information to go off.
Yeah I backed it for $20, but the fact that's it been several days and we still don't have a sizable update explaining the game some more isn't very good on DF's part.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Accordion Man posted:

Yeah I backed it for $20, but the fact that's it been several days and we still don't have a sizable update explaining the game some more isn't very good on DF's part.

If they've not given me anything more concrete by the end of the week, I'm probably going to pull my pledge. Whether or not it's true, it just makes it look like they have no actual plans and are completely unprepared.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I basically backed Massive Chalice based on "roguelike tactical" but we'll see how that goes. It's definitely my biggest straight up gamble on kickstarter so far, and for that they got the minimum pledge to make the game.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

CottonWolf posted:

If they've not given me anything more concrete by the end of the week, I'm probably going to pull my pledge. Whether or not it's true, it just makes it look like they have no actual plans and are completely unprepared.
I suspect they were expecting to quickly meet the initial funding target then get more specific with stretch goals. I guess we'll see when it breaks $725k tonight or tomorrow.

Stefandepefan
Oct 10, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

That's not a bad idea. I backed it for $50, but except for the funny video the lack of updates make me a doubtful. I still imagine it being a Crusader Kings meets Final Fantasy Tactics which keeps me hopeful, but some screens, stretch goals or additional info would be great though.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm not backing Massive Chalice because while I think the idea is sweet, "Hey guys we want to make Crusader Kings vs Final Fantasy Tactics give us money!!!" is a terrible pitch.

And if you're not going to show me anything, and you have no track record for games like this, at least tell me why I should give you my money now instead of a year or two down the line when I'll have an idea what I'll actually be getting.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

grrarg posted:

I suspect they were expecting to quickly meet the initial funding target then get more specific with stretch goals. I guess we'll see when it breaks $725k tonight or tomorrow.

They mentioned there's be an update with more details Monday, ie today.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

The other big difference between them and say, Torment is that InXile and Obsidian spent a lot of time talking with one another, examining what made their individual kickstarters successful and attempting to give each subsequent one the best possible chance to get people's attention. That's also why InXile did the Uservoice polling earlier on - they wanted to be as sure as possible it was going to take off when it launched.

So that meant they had reward tiers based around the things that people wanted to buy (plus addons), stretch goals based around what made their game special (i.e: new writers), steady flows of information and a ton of initial detail. To the point where InXile had to wrestle with the character limit multiple times over the course of Torment's funding period. Massive Chalice has a good video, but almost nothing beyond that to draw people in. It's a bare-bones pitch that's only made so much money based on the strength of it's company name. That's not to say it's a bad idea, but if it weren't Double Fine pitching this I can't see it having done nearly as well so far.

It is still technically early days, but they're still more likely to end up with a Shadowrun Returns budget than something like Project Eternity.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
The Stomping Land really looks great, but seriously, does Kickstarter not natively accept PayPal?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

DancingPenguin posted:

The Stomping Land really looks great, but seriously, does Kickstarter not natively accept PayPal?

They take Amazon payments, maybe that takes paypal.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Heran Bago posted:

They take Amazon payments, maybe that takes paypal.
Nope. Amazon Payments requires a credit card.

This is why so many kickstarters put up a Paypal link after they're funded. You can't safely do that before hitting your goal (since until then, no money is guaranteed), but after, you throw up Paypal for the people who don't have credit cards.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Shalinor posted:

Nope. Amazon Payments requires a credit card.

Well seems like the Kickstarters have some sense then.
Problem for me right now has nothing to do with credit cards though, more that I would prefer to use my PayPal funds before my card.

Really weird that Kickstarter does not accept PayPal though, it is such a common payment method! :argh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Because it both competes with the Amazon payment system and Paypal itself is a loving terrible company that needs to get regulated into the loving ground.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Pyradox posted:

That's not to say it's a bad idea, but if it weren't Double Fine pitching this I can't see it having done nearly as well so far.

I agree that the Massive Chalice pitch is currently a bit lackluster (I'm waiting to back it, myself), but you could make this statement about any developer that's generally well-liked and it would still be a true statement. Project Eternity, Torment, and Godus all would have done measurably worse if the people making them didn't have recognizable names. That's just how this whole thing works.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Welp Massive Chalice hit the goal without doing another update. Hopefully they'll release more information today.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Not giving any details is smart if you're big enough, people will far prefer what they hope the project to be to what it actually is after all.

Not a very respectable way of raising money though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Omni Kickstarter has launched

If you get in super quick you can get it for $250, but you have to assemble it yourself.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Infinitum posted:

If you get in super quick you can get it for $250, but you have to assemble it yourself.

That's pretty cool. That said, it looks like running is really uncomfortable since you have to take small steps, and the restriction on torso movement means you're basically running in tiny steps with your back almost completely straight up. Walking seems fine though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Not giving any details is smart if you're big enough, people will far prefer what they hope the project to be to what it actually is after all.

Not a very respectable way of raising money though.

I just think game kickstarters should be forced to have some kind of gameplay video before they can launch their campaign. Even if you're a studio like Double Fine, even if freaking Nintendo was doing a kickstarter it should still be a rule that you have to have a gameplay video ready. Anyone can come up with a game idea

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Macaluso posted:

I just think game kickstarters should be forced to have some kind of gameplay video before they can launch their campaign. Even if you're a studio like Double Fine, even if freaking Nintendo was doing a kickstarter it should still be a rule that you have to have a gameplay video ready. Anyone can come up with a game idea

Heck, if Tinykeep could do it you'd think almost anyone could.

I don't know if there needs to be a specific rule but it seems like the market is trending that way anyway.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Macaluso posted:

I think you have to start with the question "what does a demo gameplay video show"?

- Technology
- Sound design
- Art design
- Mechanics

For backing A.N. Other unknown developer with an idea they are all real risks, with a "known" developer like Obsidian or Double Fine the risks of the first three are low enough to be non-existent other than for sound/art in a subjective "I don't like the aesthetic" way. I'm just not too sure in this case what critical additional knowledge a gameplay video would provide. But that's me.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Going back to the ARAIG, I asked them if they had any developers on board yet and this was the response I got.

KuroKisei posted:

Have any developers expressed an interest in this product or begun implementing support for it? Are there any specific existing or future titles that have confirmed ARAIG support?

ARAIG posted:

Hi KuroKisei,

We have always believed that it should be the community driving the industry rather than the industry driving the community. With this in mind we went on Kickstarter to let the community show the developers that this is the next level of gaming.

ARAIG will work on a fundamental level with all games on any console platform as they already provide haptic feedback and sound. This not only gives the community a base use for ARAIG but gives developers the initial framework to begin building upon to differentiate themselves.

Overall we want the community to prove that this is what they want and in turn that will show developers that there is a need. By showing them there is a need there will be less risk and a reason to develop for ARAIG. It also allows indie developers to have a new differentiating factor to help them compete with AAA studios and we do know of several indie developers who look forward to using ARAIG.

I hope that answers your questions. If you have anymore please let us know.

Sincerely,
The ARAIG Team

None of that was really comforting for my hopes for the product. Assuming indie developers will support an obscure feedback suit in order to compete with AAA titles and a business model that involves getting the customers to adopt the product and THEN have developers support it?? Yeah...

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I bet there'll be one guy who ends up with an Oculus Rift, a Hydra, an ARAIG, and an Omni who will be having the time of their life.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Infinitum posted:

I bet there'll be one guy who ends up with an Oculus Rift, a Hydra, an ARAIG, and an Omni who will be having the time of their life.

Add an Emotive Epoc for Force powers. I think you've got room for it with a Rift on.

KuroKisei
Feb 17, 2004
conformist
Then all he needs is a game to support everything!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

KuroKisei posted:

Then all he needs is a game to support everything!

By the time you get everything strapped on, turned on and calibrated, you're ready to quit anyway. Putting everything on is the game!

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Infinitum posted:

All while playing the latest hit titles on their OUYA!

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Infinitum posted:

Looking at the "How it works" section, it looks like a nub on the shoe has to go into one of the grooves on the Omni? If I'm understanding that right, that means you can't just place your foot wherever--you have to make sure it's aligned with one of the grooves? That sounds kind of awful.

It looks like there are a lot of grooves, but all the same, foot placement is going to be tricky.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

grrarg posted:

Welp Massive Chalice hit the goal without doing another update. Hopefully they'll release more information today.

Yep. From the comments:

Double Fine posted:

Woah! We just woke and it looks like we made it past the goal in the night! AMAZING! Thank you all for your support and trust! It's incredibly humbling! We'll have an update today! :D!

It just remains to see how much information they're willing to give.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

waffle posted:

Looking at the "How it works" section, it looks like a nub on the shoe has to go into one of the grooves on the Omni? If I'm understanding that right, that means you can't just place your foot wherever--you have to make sure it's aligned with one of the grooves? That sounds kind of awful.

As far as I understand it, there is a spring loaded pin that is sticking out. When you step down, it gets pressed in, except when it's over the slot, then it pops out and locks into the slot. The slots are sloped so the pin can guide the foot into the slot more naturally.

I don't know why they're manufacturing whole shoes instead of just making some kind of slip over. I have wide feet and there's no way they'll be making shoes for me, even if I wanted one. Something that slips over your regular shoes would allow them to produce way fewer sizes vs. all the common ones.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Here's that Massive Chalice update people were waiting for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD9d7tgR0Yk

Brad, I like you, I really do. But you're making it hard for me to give you money here.

I see what they're going for, but I think that trying to make a virtue of the looseness of the idea they're pitching is a risky move and I'd go as far as to say that the whole 'no stretch goals' thing is a bad idea. What's worse is that I'm sympathetic to the reasoning behind it. If I'm funding a game because I like the concept, I don't want to tie the hands of the creators, but I have a horrible feeling that without tangible goals they'll just end up getting less money overall.