Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Yeah, oddly enough dex made me a whole lot more tense and actually gave me sleep problems (whereas on Adderall I have an easier than normal time deciding to go to sleep or take a nap or whatever, I think someone here described it once as "being able to better focus on falling asleep). The dosage was also extremely uneven, waxing and waning from "too little effect" to "whoaaaa poo poo no I'm stoned". I also generally appreciate that Adderall is a bit more of a "physical" stimulant since it really helps with stuff like getting out of bed and being less lazy in general. But it's a mixed bag when it comes to the perseveration issue - I'm less likely to space out and lose track of time, but at the same time I'm more likely to obsess over whatever I'm doing and overvalue its importance (e.g. looking for good deals on a replacement space heater when I've got an assignment due the next day).

Good point on the exercise though, I really should get back into that. As well as mindfulness and all that jazz. I've noticed that I've got a pretty awful tendency to just fall out of long-term habits, like I set up a pattern of regular exercise and I do it for weeks, and then some week or two a bunch of stuff comes up and I can't, and then I've forgotten all about it :doh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.
My new therapist seemed great aside from this one thing she said that keeps bothering me. I mentioned that I have catastrophic reactions to adderall, and she said I probably don't have ADHD then. I don't think that's true at all. That's just a myth, right? That people with ADHD react differently than "normal" people to stimulants. I feel pretty drat ADHD, and ritalin is a miracle drug for me. I'm pretty sure that not all drugs work for all people, even in ADHD.

Cumshot in the Dark
Oct 20, 2005

This is how we roll

Fluorescent posted:

My new therapist seemed great aside from this one thing she said that keeps bothering me. I mentioned that I have catastrophic reactions to adderall, and she said I probably don't have ADHD then. I don't think that's true at all. That's just a myth, right? That people with ADHD react differently than "normal" people to stimulants. I feel pretty drat ADHD, and ritalin is a miracle drug for me. I'm pretty sure that not all drugs work for all people, even in ADHD.
I honestly don't know if that is a myth or not. There may be a kernel of truth to it, but IMO it's largely overstated.
I get horrible side effects from Ritalin but pretty minor ones from amphetamine based medication. Just because one flavor of stimulant drives you nuts doesn't mean you don't have ADHD. The efficacy and side effects of meds in general can vary absolutely wildly from person to person, and even moreso with psychoactive medication.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Fluorescent posted:

When I asked my therapist if I could have ADHD she said, go get tested. You have all the symptoms, whether or not you respond to the meds is the determining factor. I think it has much more to do with the technical classification under DSM IV in their mind- but you should ask them specifically what THEY meant.

If someone gave me my Medco manufacturer Ritalin and that was my only reference- I'd be in the same boat because the manufacturer that Target uses works great. Which is sad pharmaceutically speaking.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Oh my God, I'm so mad.
I showed up for my Pdoc appointment today so relieved I could maybe get on an antidepressant, and they loving lost my appointment or never wrote it down or some bullshit. I was so mad I started crying on the spot. I'm new at my job so it would look loving bad if I had time off for an appointment twice in the same month so I couldn't even reschedule. I'm desperate to try Wellbutrin, but everything seems so hopeless unless I discover a Pdoc who's open on the weekend. In the meantime, seeing as I only have a few days of Adderall left, I guess I'm gonna have to start downing Strattera powder in shots of gin. gently caress my Pdoc and their lovely front desk staff. Oh I'm so mad.

Can a gp prescribe Wellbutrin? As far as I know it's not a controlled substance.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I posted in the psychiatric thread in Goon Doctor about two months ago because I didn't know this thread existed. I listed my symptoms and wondered if I have inattentive ADHD. Well, I finally saw a psychiatrist yesterday (my GP referred me but I had almost given up after waiting two months to hear back). After talking a lot she confirmed that yes, I absolutely have ADHD, along with a good bit of anxiety and depression (the depression was no secret, my GP prescribed Celexa a while back and it's working quite well). She even seemed kinda :stare: at just how screwed up and dysfunctional my life has been over the past couple years due to going untreated.

So I'm sitting here about to take my first 5mg dose of Ritalin. I've been so giddy with nervous excitement that I almost feel like I'm on a stimulant already. I know it won't be a miracle cure but I'm so goddamned tired of being this way, of struggling all the time and never making any progress, of having a billion things on my to-do list that never get done, hearing my mother's exasperated sighs when I tell her no, I still haven't gotten around to doing X, y, or z... of laying in bed at night wondering why I got absolutely nothing done during the day, and ruminating on the hundreds of days that have passed me by, all of my wasted potential...

Blah blah blah. Time to take the pill and I hope to God it actually makes a difference.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Xibanya posted:

Can a gp prescribe Wellbutrin? As far as I know it's not a controlled substance.

A GP can prescribe it. They may not feel comfortable in doing so, as it may a specialty they don't feel comfortable with, but they can definitely prescribe it. It's not a controlled substance.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Qu Appelle posted:

A GP can prescribe it. They may not feel comfortable in doing so, as it may a specialty they don't feel comfortable with, but they can definitely prescribe it. It's not a controlled substance.

GPs in my experience tend to hand out anti depressants like candy. I would just ask your GP.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

Blah blah blah. Time to take the pill and I hope to God it actually makes a difference.

Well, tell us what happened. I'm hoping I can get my psychiatrist to come off of some next appointment.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

I posted in the psychiatric thread in Goon Doctor about two months ago because I didn't know this thread existed. I listed my symptoms and wondered if I have inattentive ADHD. Well, I finally saw a psychiatrist yesterday (my GP referred me but I had almost given up after waiting two months to hear back). After talking a lot she confirmed that yes, I absolutely have ADHD, along with a good bit of anxiety and depression (the depression was no secret, my GP prescribed Celexa a while back and it's working quite well). She even seemed kinda :stare: at just how screwed up and dysfunctional my life has been over the past couple years due to going untreated.

So I'm sitting here about to take my first 5mg dose of Ritalin. I've been so giddy with nervous excitement that I almost feel like I'm on a stimulant already. I know it won't be a miracle cure but I'm so goddamned tired of being this way, of struggling all the time and never making any progress, of having a billion things on my to-do list that never get done, hearing my mother's exasperated sighs when I tell her no, I still haven't gotten around to doing X, y, or z... of laying in bed at night wondering why I got absolutely nothing done during the day, and ruminating on the hundreds of days that have passed me by, all of my wasted potential...

If it does, remember it is going to be temporary. Use your time to build good habits.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I took the first dose at 10:30AM and it began to kick in about 30 minutes later. I started feeling really calm and clear-headed, more present in the moment and slightly euphoric. Also a bit antsy and strung-out for the first hour or so, but that passed.

I did random stuff around the house, cleaned, played with the baby, etc. Felt very motivated to do things. I didn't want to sit down, no urge to check the internet, etc. No trace of laziness whatsoever.

I felt like I engaged with my daughter better, I actually WANTED to hang out with her rather than just putting up with her or half-assing it while thinking about other stuff. I picked up random clutter as I passed it by like it was no big deal, whereas normally I'm like, "Hm, I should clean that up sometime in the future when I have time".

Felt a bit scattered in the sense that I wanted to do literally EVERYTHING but knew I couldn't do it all, I have to wait for the proper time and place. Didn't really feel overwhelmed though, just eager. I did have rushing thoughts here and there, but it seemed like easy to shut them off when I got sick of them.

Then I did some work that I had been procrastinating on for a few days, and although I still had NO desire to do it and it felt like a chore, it was very easy to just suck it up and do it anyway.

Around 1:30 I started feeling sleepy and getting a bit of a headache. I took the second dose at 2PM and spent the rest of the afternoon working productively.

Now it's 5:30 and I'm about to head to the gym. Wondering how it's going to affect my workout and if my heart will explode. I still have motivation to get more stuff done tonight but I'm not sure how it'll go after working out and the "crash" which will probably happen soon.

Overall I'm very pleased! I didn't really feel high or anything, but I certainly had a productive day and my attitude towards work/chores has been very positive, so I know it's working. Time will tell if the dosage is right or not. I'm a bit worried I won't be able to fall asleep tonight.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Stumbled on a very good article on the effects of exercise on ADHD-

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/riding-my-ritalin?page=0,0

Some paragraphs I found particularly interesting-

quote:

"And it's not just any exercise. Some activities are better brain boosters, and cycling is one of the best. ... Cycling, swimming and running are tops. At the bottom are soccer, hockey and baseball. The best sports demanded constant physical exertion and a suite of technical movements that engaged brain functions dealing with balance, timing, error correction, decision-making and focus."

"During the years when Ritalin prescriptions spread through the nation's classrooms, school districts across America were cutting back on physical education programs and coming under increasing pressure to boost standardized test scores. From 1991 to 1995 the very era when ADHD diagnoses were sky-rocketing the percentage of high school students enrolled in daily PE classes dropped from 42 percent to 25 percent. For money-strapped school districts, cutting PE became an easy way to save money and devote more time and resources to "teaching to the test." Given that history, the question posed by the former Olympic medalist seems disturbingly germane. Did we put a generation of potential Tour de France riders on Ritalin instead of giving them bikes?"

"Adam Leibovitz took Ritalin through his early teens. ... He especially disliked what Ritalin users call "robot mode," during which they feel emotionally flatlined. I'd take it during the week, go off it on weekends, and then back on again on Monday," Adam recalls. "On Monday I'd be droned out, kind of a zombie. I had no character, no personality. I hated that."

"He was taking Ritalin on weekdays, but when he trained hard on weekends there seemed to be a carryover effect. On Mondays his mind was calm even before he popped a Ritalin. "I'd experiment with it," he says. "When I was off the meds and rode a lot, I'd feel great. I could concentrate. When I'd take rest weeks I'd be bouncing off the walls."
"He doesn't know how the cycling clears his head, allows him to focus. All he knows is that it works. "Riding," he says, "is my Ritalin."

"What is really going on inside Adam Leibovitz's brain?

It probably isn't the endorphins, which mainly affect pain suppression and mood elevation. Researchers now understand that the clearing effect more likely has to do with a different, but similarly mysterious, process centered in the basal ganglia, a part of the brain that plays an important role in movement, coordination, attention and learning. The most accepted theory about ADHD is that it's largely caused by a deficit of neurotransmitters, which relay signals to and from the basal ganglia. Ritalin works by boosting the concentration of two neurotransmitters in particular: dopamine and norepinephrine. Adam's rigorous race training most likely caused his body to produce the same effect."

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Things I have learned in the last three days:

Do not take Adderall after 3 PM if you want to get to bed before 2 AM.

When you take a larger than usual dose, you will have a rebound the next day such that it is stupid hard to want to do anything. Also, that appetite suppression will wear off and you will want to eat an entire cow.

On the upside, I got a lot done yesterday and I've lost five pounds this week. So... that's... good?

I see why folks want to take this stuff daily. The come down is a bitch.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I haven't noticed any affect on my appetite with Ritalin so far. Yesterday I was ravenously hungry and ate a lot. Same for today so far.

I'm a bit disappointed because although the pills are working, it doesn't seem to last very long. I took 5mg at 8AM and by 10:30 my mind started racing with thoughts again and I feel pretty unfocused now. I'm gonna take my second pill at noon. I will definitely have to talk about extended release at my next appointment... maybe that'll work better.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I was talking to my manager about his experience with it and he said he actually gained weight from adderall, but in a healthy manner. Before his prescription he said he used to get so distracted with his job that he literally forgot to eat. He's also on a pretty intensive weight training regimen though so I'm sure that contributes.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Ana Lucia Cortez posted:

I haven't noticed any affect on my appetite with Ritalin so far. Yesterday I was ravenously hungry and ate a lot. Same for today so far.

I'm a bit disappointed because although the pills are working, it doesn't seem to last very long. I took 5mg at 8AM and by 10:30 my mind started racing with thoughts again and I feel pretty unfocused now. I'm gonna take my second pill at noon. I will definitely have to talk about extended release at my next appointment... maybe that'll work better.

Yeah definitely ask about Concerta (Ritalin ER, etc). I started out on it plus IR Ritalin as a booster, then lapsed on the Concerta for a while and just did Ritalin (got written a massive script, thanks doc!), and it was a rough ride and wasn't nearly as effective as the all-day smoothness of the Concerta. Like, I'd be totally ON for like three hours and then crash and then take it again and be ON, and then crash harder, especially if I hadn't eaten (I'd forget to eat even before taking :catdrugs:, but now it's slightly worse). And in general it didn't work nearly as well because I was super inconsistent about it. I'd take 10mg on top of the Concerta in the afternoon, which works great, but then the 10 didn't work by itself at all, so I tried 20 (with doc's permission), and it worked, but got jerked around by the ups and downs.

Also, trip report on Mallinckrodt generic Concerta: Biggest difference is less consistency. Sometimes it feels just like the real deal, sometimes it hits me like a train, and sometimes I wonder if I actually remembered to take it. Afternoon Ritalin continues to be super helpful, especially with the less consistent nature of this generic. I want my Watson Concerta back :qq:

PS: Was out buying tea the other day, mentioned to the kid at the shop that teas with too much caffeine didn't play nice with my meds, and then he was like, "I wonder if we take the same meds..." And it turns out he's on Adderall for narcolepsy and bipolar. I know that Adderall is a designated treatment for narcolepsy, but I hadn't really heard of it working for bipolar. But he said that the popular conception of bipolar is not all that accurate, and went on to describe it, in addition to the longer manic/depressive arcs, as emotional processes in overdrive, emotional states fluctuating more quickly and with more range than in normal people (which seemed kind of similar to overactive/short-circuiting thought cycles in ADHD), and that stimulants calmed that whole process down for him. Also recommended yerba mate for clearheadedness. I'll probably be back to pick some up.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I've heard of Adderall being used for other conditions like anxiety and depression, though not bipolar - I'm surprised about that since most docs wouldn't risk a stimulant on someone who can become manic (Edit: it's probably because of the narcolepsy - there's very few treatment options for it and AFAIK almost all of them are stimulants). The thing is with amphetamines is that they're sort of generalists, increasing dopamine, serotonin, and norephrenine (though in somewhat different proportions depending on if it's Adderall or Dexedrine). That can help with a bunch of stuff, but depends on the individual whether things get brought up to a good level or any of these go overboard, which is why things get a little weird where e.g. in some people it increases anxiety and in others it decreases it. That said, it has a very mild side effect profile compared to the vast majority of psych meds - if it wasn't for the legal issues and the stigma of stimulants (I'm not even saying addiction potential (only in some people), because many doctors have no issue with throwing around benzos willy-nilly), I think it would be a more common treatment attempt for conditions outside of ADHD. It definitely helped me with some anxiety and depression that I didn't even know I had until I felt the difference.

I still try to not take it on days when I'm not doing a whole ton, to both stave off tolerance (and I find it's more effective even after 1 day off) and to work on not being dependent on medication to be productive (in the off chance it stops working, but also to try to build better habits overall). Now that I've got a bit of a summer break, it's the first time in a long time that I've been off for more than 2 days in a row, and I was not prepared for how much my sleep went to poo poo. Not that it got worse, just that it instantly reverted to how it was before: staying up until 7-8am, can't be arsed to get out of bed until it's past 4 in the afternoon. I'm trying to fix it without going back on the meds just yet, but I'm surprised how hard it is to get out of bed without that morning dose that just automatically makes me awake and aware; or how hard it is to keep track of what time it is in the evening / stop loving around on the computer and go to bed. Though to be fair, I wasn't being super responsible on the sleep front even on the meds - I could still stay up until 4am knowing that I'd have no trouble being up and functional at 7-8, which is not healthy. But the meds themselves never keep me up (well, not Adderall, the local Dex did), if anything I get the easiest and most restful sleep/naps.

Definitely sympathize with the whole "I can eat EVERYTHING" feeling, too, though it's only for the first day for me. That's just going from regular dose to no dose though, I'm pretty big on staying on as low of a dose as possible that has a decent effect, and trying behavioral solutions before increasing it when things aren't working out. It's not that I'm one of those anti-meds people, just that my poo poo's so hosed up that I'll do anything to avoid the eventually possibility of getting tolerant while still stuck in even half of my old ways.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 29, 2013

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Oh hey look - if you're on generic Methylphenidate ER 10 or 20 mg, there's a shortage because of the lack of 'active ingredient' :drugnerd: . Why, yes. I need that in my life right now.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm314741.htm#methylphenidater

Also, talked to a pharmacist about the manufacturers for the generics - apparently, the 10 and 20 mg doses of methylphenidate ER is technically generic Ritalin SR, and Watson doesn't make those. They do make generic methylphenidate ER in 18 and 36 mg doses, because *that* is generic Concerta, which Watson does make. :psyduck: I don't even know anymore. So far, I seem to be holding down well with the 10 mg dose of :catdrugs: + a decaf / split shot Americano in the afternoon. But if I do need a boost in a dose, now I know to look at the 18 mg instead of just doubling up to 20 mg. which might be A Thing if I can't get the 10 mg.

Also - how long does generic Concerta 18 mg last in the system? Because I'm finding that the generic Ritalin SR only lasts for 5-6 hours or so. Which is not very effective for an 8 hour day. I may try to switch on that basis alone.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 30, 2013

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Supposedly 12 hours, but normally I metabolize in 9 hours.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

Supposedly 12 hours, but normally I metabolize in 9 hours.

Ok, sweet. Perfect. So then, my second question is: is it normal for the Ritalin SR to only last 6 hours or so? Or am I metabolizing it particularly quickly?

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

It /seems/ like I get 2 hours out of it max, but it probably lasts about 5 or 6.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

TheBigBad posted:

It /seems/ like I get 2 hours out of it max, but it probably lasts about 5 or 6.

Right - thank you! I haven't filled this month's prescription, and the pharmacy by my work has the Watson Concerta in 18 mg. time to call the doc.

Call put in, and lets see what he says. Goad it's just not me having this med poop out quickly.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 30, 2013

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

Qu Appelle posted:

Also, talked to a pharmacist about the manufacturers for the generics - apparently, the 10 and 20 mg doses of methylphenidate ER is technically generic Ritalin SR, and Watson doesn't make those. They do make generic methylphenidate ER in 18 and 36 mg doses, because *that* is generic Concerta, which Watson does make. :psyduck: I don't even know anymore. So far, I seem to be holding down well with the 10 mg dose of :catdrugs: + a decaf / split shot Americano in the afternoon. But if I do need a boost in a dose, now I know to look at the 18 mg instead of just doubling up to 20 mg. which might be A Thing if I can't get the 10 mg.

Also - how long does generic Concerta 18 mg last in the system? Because I'm finding that the generic Ritalin SR only lasts for 5-6 hours or so. Which is not very effective for an 8 hour day. I may try to switch on that basis alone.
The Watson generic is literally actual Concerta - the pills will say ALZA on them (the manufacturer of brand Concerta). All Watson does is repackage brand Concerta. The Mallinckrodt stuff I have is a totally different make, and I definitely don't like it as much. I will have to shop around more next time.

As for the 18mg Concerta, if it's Watson/brand Concerta, it should last all day if 18mg is sufficient for you (even if it's not, it'll probably still keep you awake if you take it too late in the day - after 11:30 or so for me). I started off on 18mg, and the first few days were amazing, and then it just wasn't enough so it was a matter of it just not being effective rather than the effects wearing off too quickly.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

I find that the 10 mg of Ritalin SR is still effective, even after taking it for months now - but it just poops out after hour 6 or so. So then I'm getting a coffee* at 5 pm, which means I don't get to sleep until midnight-1 am. Which just isn't good. I tried not having the coffee, but then nothing gets done.

I'm hoping the 18 mg generic Concerta lasts more than 6 hours, so I can cut out the coffee.

* I should add that I've tried things like tea, white tea, green tea, etc. and the same thing happens - it keeps me up.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 30, 2013

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Giving Pristiq + Concerta a try. Wish me luck.

Ana Lucia Cortez
Mar 22, 2008

I may have jumped the gun RE: Ritalin wearing off too fast. Yesterday I ended up having energy and motivation all day long up until 8PM or so, from just two 5mg pills taken at 8AM and noon. I don't know if that was a fluke or what. One thing I'm wondering about is the dosage strength. How do I know that 5mg is enough? I've been very productive and goal-oriented over the last few days, I almost feel like a totally different person. But my mind still races with thoughts much of the time. To what extent is racing thoughts considered "normal"?

Like at any given time my mind will be racing with thoughts like: "Okay laundry's done. Great! I can't forget to take those old clothes to the Salvation Army. Should I put them in a box or a garbage bag? Oh, we need garbage bags, we're almost out. I don't think we should put the trash on the patio anymore, it should go in the garage. We should definitely clean out the garage too. I should write that down. I really want to buy that fancy notebook I saw in the store the other day. Was it $20? I'll have to budget for that. Hm maybe I should check the budget!" (all thoughts coming in rapid-fire as I'm doing stuff)

It's not AS bad as it was before, especially since now I just have racing thoughts about being productive mostly. Before meds my thoughts were less practical and more day-dreamy and speculative.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

deptstoremook posted:

Hello all, I posted a couple years ago asking if I should go on Adderall for my ADD (not ADHD). So I'm looking for some advice. Warning, small personal issues dump.

I was tested in college for ADD, and even though I think those test results were compromised because of my active drug addiction (opiates), I definitely went for a reason. I never got prescribed Adderall or whatever, and the past few years have been devoted to me getting off drugs and dealing with a bunch of other poo poo in my life. But enough of that, I'm here to talk about my ADD. Through college and until recently I've been able to mask a lot of the issues I face because (a) I'm smart, and (b) I can work fast even if I'm neglectful, procrastinating, and distracted 90% of the time. However, I'm now trying to balance a focus-intensive job (I'm a grant writer) and focus-intensive personal work (I'm a creative writer and preparing to apply for an MFA), I'm finding that my ADD symptoms, nascent before, masked by my drug use, are really coming to the fore. I find myself (I think) self-medicating with caffeine and nicotine, now. I'm also 3.5 years sober so any of these attention issues which I might have attributed to drugs or my home life are obviously not related to that.

:words:

I have appointments with my therapist and my internist on the 29th, during which times I plan to discuss these issues and (hopefully) get a Rx for strattera.

Thanks for all the advice and thoughts last page. I met with my therapist. Even though she's generally anti-meds, we talked about Strattera and she thought it could certainly help. So I wrote my doctor, and she phoned in an Rx for Strattera (40mg once per day) which I started this morning. I already have a kind of strange fatigue/distance and slight muscle "rubberiness" feeling from it. Does this match others' experiences or am I just freaking myself out about it?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Got the go ahead to switch to generic Concerta 18 mg; I pick up the prescriptions tomorrow. And the pharmacy by work has the treasured Watson brand of the generic :toot: .

Here's hoping it lasts longer than 6 hours. Also, it's such a relief to switch prescriptions because of an inconvenience, and not a serious crippling side effect.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
I'm REALLY trying not to freak myself out or talk myself out of the Strattera, but I'm finding the side effects are difficult to deal with, mainly the fatigue. This is my fourth day. About an hour or two after taking my dose, I feel whenever I close my eyes I could fall asleep or doze off, and I'm having these episodes of just "spacing out" (something I never did before). The fatigue is bad, I don't have hyperactive ADHD (I've just been calling it regular ADD?) so it's not like I had boundless energy to start, quite the opposite in fact. Also some constipation, chills, and feeling very warm. Appetite suppression is a beneficial side effect for me so I'll set that one aside.

When the side effects wear off in the evening, I'm right back in "ADD land," talking about 10 nothings at once, fidgeting, and not really doing anything productive. Will these side effects fade with time? How long does Strattera take to start working? Right now it's just negative. My doc has talked about increasing the dose (and I see people on 80-120mg on the internet), and I'm worried these negative effects will get worse.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

When I took the Strattera, I felt weird and spacey the first few days. I didn't get especially fatigued, though, that I remember. Those side effects wore off for me after a week or so. A friend of mine also felt the massive fatigue, but it also went away for her. With her, though, her doctor made her stop drinking coffee, so she was going through caffeine withdrawal at the same time. I believe that she's still on it, and now it's working fine for her.

(I eventually went off of it because it made my depression a lot worse.)

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

deptstoremook posted:

Will these side effects fade with time? How long does Strattera take to start working?
Yes. Up to six weeks but I noticed positive stuff around two weeks I think.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

I started on 5mg twice a day of "Amphetamine Salts" today and felt better than normal. Clearer thoughts and didn't feel tired.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I got put on Lexapro yesterday, but I'm holding off on starting it until Saturday, as I'm tripping on shrooms this Friday. While I'm happy to be addressing my anxiety, my Pdoc stopped all ADHD treatment and said we could start again once we see how much my anxiety causes distraction. I feel even more freaked out now. How can I go a month with no help? I'm hyper and impulsive too, after all! Now I feel more freaked out than ever. Then again, I haven't started the chill pill yet, so who knows.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Anyone else get a sharpened sense of smell off of the amphetamines? I smoke a pack and a half a day and was quite happy not being able to smell anything at all, but now :barf:

Fluorescent
Jun 5, 2011

재미있는 한국어.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Anyone else get a sharpened sense of smell off of the amphetamines? I smoke a pack and a half a day and was quite happy not being able to smell anything at all, but now :barf:

Not exactly, but I do get other weird sensory things. Ritalin and adderall give me an unbearable gag reflex and sense of taste. Everything tastes noxious.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Easy fix. Stop smoking.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Unless you think I'm gagging on the cigarette smell of my clothes (I don't, I can only smell incense on my clothes), I don't understand how quitting smoking will decrease my sense of smell. It does the opposite, from what I understand.

Amphetamine salts working well, it seems. Lethargy is gone, and my thoughts are more clear and quieter. I still have foggy cognition, but at least I don't have repeating thoughts and constant flashes of images and sounds.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

:eng101: Yes, actually, there is a bit of evidence pointing to amphetamines possibly increasing the sense of smell. And since smell is actually most of what we use to taste things (try eating something with your nose pinched - this is also why food is less appealing when sick with a stuffy nose), that would mean it increases the sense of taste as well. Potential physical explanations aside, just the effect of being more focused can heighten senses, too, if it makes you pay more attention to what you are smelling/eating.

I find I'm a bit more picky about food on Adderall (amphetamine salts). Mostly from having less appetite to start with, maybe partially for the above reasons, though it's usually just textures (e.g. a gristly/fatty piece of meat or the kinds of orange skins that never get chewed up) that gross me out.

Edit: Actually, I remember early on while taking it, I couldn't handle walking into a Pho place that I usually frequent because of an incredibly overbearing smell of various simmered and raw meats. I haven't had anything like that happen recently, though, so maybe you'll get more tolerant with time. It sent my heart rate through the roof whenever I would exercise the first week or two, too, but that toned down with time to where it's maybe a bit higher than without, but not a problem.

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 6, 2013

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Goddamn posted:

I find I'm a bit more picky about food on Adderall (amphetamine salts). Mostly from having less appetite to start with, maybe partially for the above reasons, though it's usually just textures (e.g. a gristly/fatty piece of meat or the kinds of orange skins that never get chewed up) that gross me out.

Urgh, the worst for me is that I've been learning to cook with all this newfound energy and the problem is that I can't stop eating myself back into obesity. It just all tastes so good, and whatever I wanted to save for lunch the next day gets gobbled up quicker than you can snap your fingers or get the dishes cleaned. Off adderall I'll just bored eat whatever is around without even noticing what it tastes like. Just can't win with adhd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Urgh, the worst for me is that I've been learning to cook with all this newfound energy and the problem is that I can't stop eating myself back into obesity. It just all tastes so good, and whatever I wanted to save for lunch the next day gets gobbled up quicker than you can snap your fingers or get the dishes cleaned. Off adderall I'll just bored eat whatever is around without even noticing what it tastes like. Just can't win with adhd!

I had the exact same thing happen to me on Adderall, to the point where I gained some 20 lbs in 6 months, and my doctor was *completely* mystified. "Normally people....lose weight on Adderall..." "But everything tastes WONDERFUL, especially the really sweet and salty and spicy foods!". This came after a few months of Dexedrine, which worked like a charm on the ADHD, but gave me massive heartburn, and I lost my appetite to the point of feeling faint, because I was eating so little - and what I did eat tasted like bland dirt.

On Ritalin, it's mellowed out, both with appetite and weight. I still have cravings, but overall I'm eating less, and I can recognize when I'm eating out of boredom rather than hunger at work. In fact, I lost a few pounds because I've been walking and exercising more. Plus, healthy things taste really good now; last night's dinner was low fat chicken sausage, and a whole zucchini sliced thin, then sauteed in habanero infused olive oil.

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 6, 2013