Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh *poo poo* yes, Kevin Conroy IS back this season: http://www.awn.com/news/television/venture-bros-returns-season-5

"In season five, The Venture Bros. welcomes the guest voice talent of Aziz Ansari, Paget Brewster, Wyatt Cenac, Kevin Conroy, Bill Hader, John Hodgman, Gillian Jacobs, Kate McKinnon, Tim Meadows, J.K. Simmons, and Brendon Small."

John Hodgman but no Seth Green. Guess we're only getting half of the Hale brothers. This should be fun. Or he could be voicing an entirely different character haha. Also hope we see more of Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

door Door door posted:

John Hodgman but no Seth Green. Guess we're only getting half of the Hale brothers.

Well, after murdering their father, it was inevitable that one would turn on the other...

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

knife super power posted:

Also, am I the only one that thought Jonas Jr. was kind of a dick in this episode? He's just sitting on his rear end calling Rusty to ask, "Hey, you got that shield ready yet?"

The shield that he paid him start-up money for a year earlier? Frankly, it was kind of generous of him to kick Rusty's rear end into action 3 months before the deadline.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
HankCo t-shirt ordered!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
It sure is weird to see Dr. Venture actually succeed with a project, and this time they managed to get two done...the shield AND the antidote for the mutations caused by testing the shield.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

knife super power posted:

Professor Impossible is voiced by Bill Hader now. Also, am I the only one that thought Jonas Jr. was kind of a dick in this episode? He's just sitting on his rear end calling Rusty to ask, "Hey, you got that shield ready yet?"

Well... Rusty reveals (when Billy asks about funding) that he blew through the advance money for the project over a year before... in the meantime JJ's been building the station and doing whatever else. Not that JJ's not an rear end, but I don't think Doc V wins points for ignoring the entire project until the very last moment.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Poque posted:

It sure is weird to see Dr. Venture actually succeed with a project, and this time they managed to get two done...the shield AND the antidote for the mutations caused by testing the shield.

Rusty will no doubt hog all the credit but you can thank the radiation-enhanced super-brains of the hapless interns for the former and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch + Dr. Formerly A Giant loving Beetle for the latter.

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!

GD_American posted:

HankCo t-shirt ordered!

HankCo is a must have, but I feel a little underwhelmed by the Palaemon shirt for whatever reason. Oh well. I wasn't expecting to get 2 shirts from this episode, so I'm not going to complain.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Cool, so now we know Sgt. Hatred's full real name. Courtney Haine.

Sounds like the front woman for an all-girl grunge band.

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo, why was I able to watch this on adultswim.com from Canada?!? Is it not region-specific anymore?

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 4, 2013

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
AS put it up on Youtubes, duder.

I guess old media has embraced new media.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

GD_American posted:

HankCo t-shirt ordered!

I was disappointed it's a white tee. Those have pretty short lifespans. The shirt Hank wears in this episode is blue, so... ?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
White and Billy really are the best. They're digging in the wrong place!

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

axleblaze posted:

It makes me sad that everyone's pointing out Aziz, but I don't think anyone else noticed that Tommy the main green suit guy was Wyatt Cenac.

"Don't cry for me! Tell my story!"

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Phone posted:

AS put it up on Youtubes, duder.

I guess old media has embraced new media.

Pretty sure it was region locked last season.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So here's my theory from this episode.

• Trianna meets The Master, who tells her to leave the compound because Dean's got garbage genetics.
  • Dean, now probably over Trianna, starts looking at other girls, including the one in that colony.
  • This puts Dean into the contact with the other genetically altered people, and puts him where they get the curiflies (or whatever they were called).
  • The curiflies cure the genetic problems the students had, but also inject Dean I believe.

• Did this actually cure Dean of the problems he would have being cloned?
  • Did the master know this was going to happen (since he could tell Dean's future), and sent Trianna away so that Dean would be in the right place for the cure?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

PostNouveau posted:

Aziz Ansari did really well. It makes me wish they could afford to pay for some other voice actors.

I really loved this line by him:

"Let it be the skill of muturra! The blade that shines like the mooooooooon, I DOMINATE that!"

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

IUG posted:

• Trianna meets The Master, who tells her to leave the compound because Dean's got garbage genetics.
  • Dean, now probably over Trianna, starts looking at other girls, including the one in that colony.
  • This puts Dean into the contact with the other genetically altered people, and puts him where they get the curiflies (or whatever they were called).
  • The curiflies cure the genetic problems the students had, but also inject Dean I believe.

• Did the master know this was going to happen (since he could tell Dean's future), and sent Trianna away so that Dean would be in the right place for the cure?

I think the Trianna boat has sailed for Dean. I dont think any of the cure-a-flies or what ever they are called bit Dean. Also I don't think the Master was showing Dean's real future, he was just being an rear end to get Trianna to go on with her life.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

IUG posted:

Or the Master could just have been loving with Triana's head to get her to leave. That's always a possibility.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ben told Dean that his genes looked pretty fine in the Halloween episode, just that he's probably gonna go bald eventually and is gonna need glasses.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
And now I will wonder if Dean kept his memories of the cloning, that green stuff seems to have been quite potent. And the creators will probably stay ambiguous about that!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Jerkface posted:

"Let it be the skill of muturra! The blade that shines like the mooooooooon, I DOMINATE that!"

At first I was a little annoyed at Aziz because he has a very distinctive voice and it was very jarring to hear it in Venture Bros, but that line made it totally worth it.

door Door door fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 4, 2013

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

IUG posted:

Let it go.

There is no master plan to have Trianna and Dean marry at the end of season 12. They lived in the same compound for a few years, now she's having her life and he's having his.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

door Door door posted:

At first I was a little annoyed at Aziz because he has a very distinctive voice and it was very jarring to hear it in Venture Bros, but that line made it totally worth it.

Martin and Thalia totally made this episode and I'm a little disappointed that they porbably won't be coming back.

"Martin.... I feel that something untoward has happened... ah-whaaaaaaaat was it?"

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
One of the best jokes of this episode was that the Monarch and 21 were both huge Game of Thrones fans and watched it all the time together.

The first episode of GoT didn't air until 5 months after Operation P.R.O.M., which this episode picks up right after.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Venture Brothers takes place in the same time period as Archer.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

One of the best jokes of this episode was that the Monarch and 21 were both huge Game of Thrones fans and watched it all the time together.

The first episode of GoT didn't air until 5 months after Operation P.R.O.M., which this episode picks up right after.

Don't be insufferable about this.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

GD_American posted:

There is no master plan to have Trianna and Dean marry at the end of season 12. They lived in the same compound for a few years, now she's having her life and he's having his.
I'm not sure his/her point was about Triana and Dean getting together. More that the Master has some sort of interest in Dean.

But yeah, that post was overthinking it I think. Ben said that Dean, at least this version of him, is a 'miracle' and that the biggest genetic problem he will get from his weird origin is a sight degradation.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I don't even care about them as a pair or whatever. My point was would those cure-butterflys fix his genes, and then did The Master know. Because that would be cool foreshadowing if so. But then I forgot that Ben said he had good genes except for vision in the Halloween special.

I just powered through season 4 before this started, and remembered The Master saying he had terrible genes, and then the cure butterflies were there to fix bad genes. And the only reason why he was there when the butterflies attacked was because he was chasing a new girl, more or less. I don't give a gently caress about romance parings in a show.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So is Palaemon a reference to anything? Because it's going right over my head if it is.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My friend just gave me all his shirt club v.1 shirts because they were too big. Now I know a large is perfect and I signed up for shirt club v.2. I'm not going to need shirts for years.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I really hope a large fits me...a large is most other t-shirts fits me, but I've found one or two manufacturers where a medium is better, and a large is a little too big.

But they said they're American Apparel, yeah? They run smaller, so a large should be ok.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I liked when Gary came to the realization that Rusty and the Monarch are basically the same level of sociopath. If anything, the Monarch is more laudable because he's got a woman who loves him who doesn't have to be paid to do so, and he actually has a *reason* to be a dick since he's a card-carrying supervillain.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

I really hope a large fits me...a large is most other t-shirts fits me, but I've found one or two manufacturers where a medium is better, and a large is a little too big.

But they said they're American Apparel, yeah? They run smaller, so a large should be ok.

I wear a medium in snug fitting tee shirts from j crew and banana republic, whereas a medium from old navy is too big. After washing the American apparel larges, they fit like banana republic mediums.

E: this is for the last round of shirts

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So is Palaemon a reference to anything? Because it's going right over my head if it is.

I thought it was a Palaeo joke.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ensign_Ricky posted:

A minor Greek god:

"Palaemon (Παλαίμων), originally named Melicertes, was a minor, young sea god, son of Ino (Leucothea). He was deified by the gods when his mother threw herself from atop a cliff with Palaemon in her arms, arguably to escape insanity or to escape Athanas, King of Thebes at the time, and his father was driven to a murderous rage after Hera pushed him to it.

Being a minor god, not as much was written about Palaemon, but he was a child in need of help. After his father was turned into a murderer by Hera, whose wrath his parents had incurred by fostering Palaemon, Palaemon's mother took with her him and jumped off a cliff to escape away from all the madness on Earth. By doing this the duo became a sea god and goddess, receiving their new names of Palaemon and Leukothea; they help distressed sailors on voyages.

In Greco-Roman views, Palaemon is viewed as a dolphin riding boy, or a child with a triton tail."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Install Gentoo posted:

A minor Greek god:

"Palaemon (Παλαίμων), originally named Melicertes, was a minor, young sea god, son of Ino (Leucothea). He was deified by the gods when his mother threw herself from atop a cliff with Palaemon in her arms, arguably to escape insanity or to escape Athanas, King of Thebes at the time, and his father was driven to a murderous rage after Hera pushed him to it.

Being a minor god, not as much was written about Palaemon, but he was a child in need of help. After his father was turned into a murderer by Hera, whose wrath his parents had incurred by fostering Palaemon, Palaemon's mother took with her him and jumped off a cliff to escape away from all the madness on Earth. By doing this the duo became a sea god and goddess, receiving their new names of Palaemon and Leukothea; they help distressed sailors on voyages.

In Greco-Roman views, Palaemon is viewed as a dolphin riding boy, or a child with a triton tail."

The name fits with helping the crew of the new Gargantua not get bombarded by space debris. Cool stuff.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Install Gentoo posted:

Hot dolphin!

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Poque posted:

Minus the whole giving a few hundred college students horrific mutations leading them into murder and the mass canabalism thing.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Action Tortoise posted:

Season 4's premiere took me a couple of viewings to really understand what happened. The narrative structure was experimental like Memento, which was cool to see in an animated show but the pacing was so hectic. I liked that 5's premiere took its time to show what happened to everyone and even seamlessly transitioned from one character's situation to another's in the same scene. Also, 4's finale made it seem like most of the cast was going through really drastic changes but 5's premiere made those changes look more like a lateral movement in characterization than actual progression.

I think it's two steps forward, one step back. 21 realizes he isn't a villain or a henchman, but then finds himself the sole member of Sphinx. Brock is back to doing real spy work with all his spy buddies, but Molotov and Monstroso are still out there. I like that they're really making the characters work for this growth; it makes all their little triumphs feel more special.

And the return of the science music and the filmstrip music made me so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
IN reply to whether Dean will remember being a clone, I don't see why he wouldn't. It would cheapen the Halloween episode significantly if he forgot it, and I don't think Doc and Jackson would do that. It seems like it would just wipe their memory of everything that just happened and they might all think it was just a dream or hallucination that they became a mutant super race for the past few months.

Also, when I rewatched the Halloween episode, it suddenly made sense why Doc was so adamant that Dermott use the doorbell instead of wandering in. Though it does make him more of an rear end: now he knows Dermott is his kid, so he's distancing the guy even further from his family, even though there's not much reason to.

Onwards, to the rest of Season 5!!!!