Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
:stare: Spoony goes off on a two hour rant about After Earth.

Say what you will, this dude is entertaining when he's off the cuff.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Jesto posted:

And now with After Earth he's wasn't even listed as the director in any of the trailers. He's likely going to kill Jaden Smith's film career as well and end up on Will Smith's shitlist. He's gone from being "The guy with all the twists" to "The guy with the reverse Midas touch where everything turns to crap" and with any lucky he'll never find work in Hollywood again. :dance:

Man, I was wondering why that movie was so poorly received despite the Smiths being pretty talented.

I really doubt he'll stop getting work, though. TLA was a $150 million project that barely managed to make a return via overseas box office sales, and someone thought it was a good idea to put him on the helm of yet another Summer blockbuster. Directors are like CEOs; you can be the absolute worst but never stop being put in charge of things.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Jesto posted:

He's likely going to kill Jaden Smith's film career

Hahahaha. That's rich. Nepotism goes a long way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jesto posted:

He's gone from being "The guy with all the twists" to "The guy with the reverse Midas touch where everything turns to crap" and with any lucky he'll never find work in Hollywood again. :dance:

There's only one response.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Benne posted:

Doug's schizophrenic reaction between "The Great Divide" and "The Storm" may be the highlight of the whole experiment. :allears:

The Great Divide was pretty ho-hum but it at least showed what kind of problem solver Aang was and brought two warring peoples together. It at least had some of that character building.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bad Wolf posted:

I can recommend watching the crossover review a bunch of the Channel Awesome team did on the Last Airbender movie. This one, as well as the previous year's Dragonball movie review, are two of my favorite ones on the site.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/yrt/specials/30277-the-last-airbender
Man look at all those guys in that video and to think about what happened last year :smith: Unless I am mistaken of course didn't Rollo and Y Ruler of Time had a falling out with Lordkat?

These reviews also gave us the infamous Strawberry video.
http://www.lordkat.com/strawberry-video.html

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 4, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

miscellaneous14 posted:

Man, I was wondering why that movie was so poorly received despite the Smiths being pretty talented.

I really doubt he'll stop getting work, though. TLA was a $150 million project that barely managed to make a return via overseas box office sales, and someone thought it was a good idea to put him on the helm of yet another Summer blockbuster. Directors are like CEOs; you can be the absolute worst but never stop being put in charge of things.

Will Smith and him are apparently good friends. That's how he got this project.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mokinokaro posted:

Will Smith and him are apparently good friends. That's how he got this project.

That and he was the only director left to actually risk their career on a terrible actor to lead the film (This is about Jayden Smith).

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Jimbot posted:

The Great Divide was pretty ho-hum but it at least showed what kind of problem solver Aang was and brought two warring peoples together. It at least had some of that character building.

There are only two episodes of that show that I ever skip on rewatches. "The Great Divide" and "The Painted Lady." Because nothing of value happens. Even "Avatar Day" provided a crucial moment in the Zuko arc and some badly needed backstory on how other Avatars in the past solved problems. Even "Appa's Lost Days" was a fantastic character spotlight episode (and that's saying something when the character is a non-speaking Bison.) Even "The Beach" gave us the only look at a group of characters "off the job" and showed aspects of them that set up their final character arcs.

"The Great Divide" just...contributes so little and requires getting through so much forced moral crap (though they do get some props for ultimately flipping the moral the bird at the last second) that it's almost impossible to watch. To their credit, they took a beautiful shot at it in The Ember Island Players - at least they got the problem with it immediately.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
God, "The Painted Lady" is unwatchable. Who the hell let the Captain Planet writers do an episode?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I couldn't help but notice that "The Painted Lady" was another one called out like "The Great Divide" was in "The Ember Island Players." Somehow I feel like they needed a filler episode and couldn't come up with an idea that week.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I didn't mind "The Painted Lady", however "The Swamp" however was something I couldn't stand. That new-age spiritual nonsense about Time was insufferable and didn't make any sense.

Edit: The whole point is that it'll be interesting in seeing Doug's reaction to a lot of these episodes. May are coveted and others are disliked a whole lot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

New Cinema Snob
http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/06/04/my-baby-is-black.aspx
:stare:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Jimbot posted:

I didn't mind "The Painted Lady", however "The Swamp" however was something I couldn't stand. That new-age spiritual nonsense about Time was insufferable and didn't make any sense.

...I just liked the Foggy Swamp Tribe. Also, the callback Mr. "Death is an Illusion" got in Season 3 was worth it.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

So much is indicated just by the title.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Nostalgia Critic: Are Video Games Art?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Maremidon posted:

So much is indicated just by the title.
It was kind of opposite from what I was expecting, it actually anti-racist

brendaneph
Apr 14, 2003
Spoony does a review rant for After Earth that is 10 minutes longer than the actual movie.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Didn't watch because I don't see him in any way qualified to talk about this. Anyone, please inform me if it somehow manages to be worth watching anyway, tia.

(That's why it would be nice if the human RSS thing could be accompanied by at least a few comments by the way)

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

Comrade Question posted:

Didn't watch because I don't see him in any way qualified to talk about this. Anyone, please inform me if it somehow manages to be worth watching anyway, tia.

(That's why it would be nice if the human RSS thing could be accompanied by at least a few comments by the way)

His position is basically: Let's rephrase the question as "are video games high art?" If they aren't now, they're bound to be.

Also, the last games he's played to completion are New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Metroid Prime 2. And his most referenced games during the video are The Sims, World of Warcraft, and Bioshock Infinite.

He shows that he's thought a lot about the issue but his position still never progresses out of the kiddie pool.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Dinosaur Satan posted:

His position is basically: Let's rephrase the question as "are video games high art?" If they aren't now, they're bound to be.

Also, the last games he's played to completion are New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Metroid Prime 2. And his most referenced games during the video are The Sims, World of Warcraft, and Bioshock Infinite.

He shows that he's thought a lot about the issue but his position still never progresses out of the kiddie pool.
Just curious what would he bring up or talk about that would progress out of the kiddie pool? Then again I think judging by Doug's audience it was pretty insightful and doesn't probably need to go deeper. I think Oancitizen also did a video on "Are Video Games Art?" a while back.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
New Needs More Gay: Game of Thrones

http://chezapocalypse.com/episodes/game-of-thrones-needs-more-gay/

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009

Comrade Question posted:

Boy, sound more stuck up why don't you.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dinosaur Satan posted:

It's impossible to leave the kiddie pool when you're talking about 'are games art'.

Dinosaur Satan
Oct 27, 2005

Helen, I'll love you always.

achillesforever6 posted:

Just curious what would he bring up or talk about that would progress out of the kiddie pool? Then again I think judging by Doug's audience it was pretty insightful and doesn't probably need to go deeper. I think Oancitizen also did a video on "Are Video Games Art?" a while back.

The main problem is he never explores the titular question. He could discuss the issue of classification, the art of disparate elements that make up a game vs the the art of a game as a whole, must art be presented or can it exist independent of display, and Conceptualism. When he talks about the possibility of video games being high art, he doesn't talk about what sort of criteria would qualify a game as high art. After all, a video game is not a film, so the same parameters that would qualify a film, like cinematography, story, and score, may not apply. I know some people think a game like Crusader Kings 2, where you have a sandbox and create your own story, is as close as games get. Other people think a game like Bioshock Infinite that mirrors a film's elements is the way forward. Still others think finely tuned gameplay like you'd find in Tetris makes a game glorious. Oancitizen sticks his toe in when he talks about Shopenhauer's definition of art vs Dewey's, but I'd love to see a more detailed analysis.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Dinosaur Satan posted:

The main problem is he never explores the titular question. He could discuss the issue of classification, the art of disparate elements that make up a game vs the the art of a game as a whole, must art be presented or can it exist independent of display, and Conceptualism. When he talks about the possibility of video games being high art, he doesn't talk about what sort of criteria would qualify a game as high art. After all, a video game is not a film, so the same parameters that would qualify a film, like cinematography, story, and score, may not apply. I know some people think a game like Crusader Kings 2, where you have a sandbox and create your own story, is as close as games get. Other people think a game like Bioshock Infinite that mirrors a film's elements is the way forward. Still others think finely tuned gameplay like you'd find in Tetris makes a game glorious. Oancitizen sticks his toe in when he talks about Shopenhauer's definition of art vs Dewey's, but I'd love to see a more detailed analysis.

I'm really not sure you are going to get that if you are looking at it from people who make a living talking about how lovely The Room is while making dick jokes.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Comrade Question posted:

...did you seriously just TL;DR a video that's ten minutes long?

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Rebochan posted:

...did you seriously just TL;DR a video that's ten minutes long?

I asked if the video was worth watching since I had reasonable doubts and you provided no info beyond a link. Neither unreasonable nor hard to grasp.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Comrade Question posted:

I asked if the video was worth watching since I had reasonable doubts and you provided no info beyond a link. Neither unreasonable nor hard to grasp.

In the time it took you to wait for a summary, you could've watched the video and then went to Egypt to get a hotdog.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Maremidon posted:

I'm really not sure you are going to get that if you are looking at it from people who make a living talking about how lovely The Room is while making dick jokes.
Yeah but these editorials Doug has been doing aren't really revolving around dick jokes and are more about answering the question in hand. I find them somewhat insightful and appreciate that it shows that Doug isn't just a guy who screams and swears all the time.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

That...was the most pointless episode ever. I generally really like Needs More Gay, but here..basically all Rantasmo said was "Yeah, Game of Thrones...people who don't like fantasy like it. And there are gay people in it. And they do gay stuff." I still have very little idea of what the show is actually about, who the gay characters are, what function they perform in the story, why it's good to have queer visibility in shows like this, whether they're good portrayals....am I asking too much? I am, after all, someone who spent 30 minutes talking about a TV show which I don't really think has that wide an audience range, (Bomb Girls) and a reasonable chunk of that was talking about why they have one of the best lesbian characters I've seen. Still, I suppose he only took 4 minutes to say nothing.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Infamous Sphere posted:

That...was the most pointless episode ever. I generally really like Needs More Gay, but here..basically all Rantasmo said was "Yeah, Game of Thrones...people who don't like fantasy like it. And there are gay people in it. And they do gay stuff." I still have very little idea of what the show is actually about, who the gay characters are, what function they perform in the story, why it's good to have queer visibility in shows like this, whether they're good portrayals....am I asking too much? I am, after all, someone who spent 30 minutes talking about a TV show which I don't really think has that wide an audience range, (Bomb Girls) and a reasonable chunk of that was talking about why they have one of the best lesbian characters I've seen. Still, I suppose he only took 4 minutes to say nothing.

I don't know if Rantazmo's incredibly short videos are a self restriction or not but if they are he really needs stop it. I mean there's being concise and then there's "HEYGUYSHERE'GAGAYTHINGOKAYBYE." All these short videos do is make it seem like he has literally nothing insightful to say on the subject, which I know he does because he's said insightful things before.

On the other hand, he may actually be going for something like "Tropes vs. Women" where everything is intentionally dumbed down and is essentially babby's first primer on gay culture; his target audience being non-gays who are only dimly aware of these individuals known as "homosexuals". I mean, one of his episodes was on what Twinks and Bears were for chrissakes.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 6, 2013

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

dijon du jour posted:

I don't know if Rantazmo's incredibly short videos are a self restriction or not but if they are he really needs stop it. I mean there's being concise and then there's "HEYGUYSHERE'GAGAYTHINGOKAYBYE." All these short videos do is make it seem like he has literally nothing insightful to say on the subject, which I know he does because he's said insightful things before.

On the other hand, he may actually be going for something like "Tropes vs. Women" where everything is intentionally dumbed down and is essentially babby's first primer on gay culture; his target audience being non-gays who are only dimly aware of these individuals known as "homosexuals". I mean, one of his episodes was on what Twinks and Bears were for chrissakes.

Rantasmo is always going to be more popular than me purely because he's accessible, and concise (there are probably a variety of other factors, but these two have to weigh fairly heavily.) I liked his fight club and action movie analysis, because he actually presented a theory, and went into a reasonable amount of detail about it - but many of his episodes are just like "look at this thing! It has gay characters in it! They're not perfect, but they're good!" For me, I prefer to go into things in a lot more detail - how they are as cinema, how they were received by the world in general, how the LGBT characters are represented, etc. Significant levels of analysis. I do tend to do a little bit of a short explanation on what I'm talking about, and what significance it has in the world, so I think my episodes are fairly accessible. About the only pre-requisite is that you know what terms like "LGBT" and "Queer" and "Transgender" mean, nothing more insanely insular or specific than that..but many people just aren't willing to watch a 25 minute commentary and analysis on something they haven't heard of.

The Game of Thrones episode was especially odd, because it didn't really seem to work for any demographic. It had very little to offer for people who didn't know anything about Game of Thrones, since he didn't really explain much about the show, or what significance the characters had, let alone who they were. It also had very little insight for people who were Game of Thrones fans, since he didn't really say much. All it really was was an acknowledgement that Rantasmo had watched the show, and that there were gay characters in it. I think he should at least stretch the videos out to 7 minutes, if it means that he'll provide more insight or opinion.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Half In The Bag talks about Hangover Part III and After Earth

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-hangover-part-iii-and-after-earth/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Benne posted:

Half In The Bag talks about Hangover Part III and After Earth

http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-the-hangover-part-iii-and-after-earth/

I love their absurd set ups for reviews.

cubs2084
Feb 2, 2009
Blip had decided this week I need Real Housewives of New Jersey commercials before every video. Annoying? Sure. Solution? Hit the mute button for 30 seconds. Bam. Person I'm watching gets their 27 cents or whatever from my view, and I don't have to listen to that crap. Frankly it seems like MORE effort to get an ad blocker for the thing.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
I can't leave a video on fullscreen without the midroll ad glitching out and leaving the screen blank.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

cubs2084 posted:

Blip had decided this week I need Real Housewives of New Jersey commercials before every video.

Yup, same here >_< I also had one video glitch out on the volume controls during the midroll ad...forcing me to reload the video and watch the ad again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

cubs2084 posted:

Bam. Person I'm watching gets their 27 cents or whatever from my view,

Ha ! If only it were anywhere near that much.

• Locked thread