Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

DolphinCop posted:

Maybe he'll join Pyjamas so all my favorite EU players end up on the same team :allears:

I really hope this as well and, honestly, if he is joining another EU LCS team then it seems most probable to me since EG already have Krepo and nRated apparently is Fnatic's shotcaller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

mushi posted:

I'm sure a lot of people saw this on reddit already, but HotshotGG, WildTurtle, and a few other high elo competitive/professional dudes queue-sniped Team Siren on their first crack at ranked 5's and obliterated them. Like, it wasn't even close, Siren got 0 towers down and basically 10 minutes into the game the pros were screwing around doing those dives that you do when you know the other team has no chance of coming back. WildTurtle was jungling Lee Sin and was like 15/2/5 or something.

It's a good reminder that those who actually play at the highest level are seriously much better than any of us can probably really appreciate. The discrepancy between a top 5% player and a top 1% player is big, and the difference between a top 1% solo queue player and a professional is probably just as large.

But then again if all these ladies were carried into platium/diamond, they probably aren't even close in general.
Forgive me for not just letting the Siren attention train die, but you can watch that game here. Siren were actually ahead on kills at one point early in the game. Still, it is no worse of a beating than Korea gave any other team in the all star games. Does that mean the top 1% are really that far behind the top .0001%?
http://www.twitch.tv/tsm_theoddone/c/2380158

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

mushi posted:

I'm sure a lot of people saw this on reddit already, but HotshotGG, WildTurtle, and a few other high elo competitive/professional dudes queue-sniped Team Siren on their first crack at ranked 5's and obliterated them. Like, it wasn't even close, Siren got 0 towers down and basically 10 minutes into the game the pros were screwing around doing those dives that you do when you know the other team has no chance of coming back. WildTurtle was jungling Lee Sin and was like 15/2/5 or something.

It's a good reminder that those who actually play at the highest level are seriously much better than any of us can probably really appreciate. The discrepancy between a top 5% player and a top 1% player is big, and the difference between a top 1% solo queue player and a professional is probably just as large.

But then again if all these ladies were carried into platium/diamond, they probably aren't even close in general.

But like 20-36 in kills, and stayed even for a decent amount of laning. Most of them looked plat or diamond IMO, just not LCS.

BrainToad
Dec 31, 2008

Schiavona posted:

GG was the only Russian team in the EU LCS, right? Is his English good enough to seamlessly fit into a new team (assuming an EU one wanted to pick him up)?

Russia has an up and coming scene according to Riot. They are taking LCS there in their second week and there is going to be a mini-tournament to decide who gets to fight for Russia's spot as the "other" region in Worlds.

http://euw.lolesports.com/season3/split1/articles/lcs-heads-moscow

So he could possibly join up with one of those teams.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Ninkobei posted:

Forgive me for not just letting the Siren attention train die, but you can watch that game here. Siren were actually ahead on kills at one point early in the game. Still, it is no worse of a beating than Korea gave any other team in the all star games. Does that mean the top 1% are really that far behind the top .0001%?
http://www.twitch.tv/tsm_theoddone/c/2380158

How is the team they're playing an LCS team? Wild turtle doesn't jungle. It's one LCS guy in his lane and a bunch of other random diamond 1/challenger people.

Really you just have to look at their solo queue record to see they're not competitive, teams who intend to join the LCS don't usually get stuck in Gold. Not like there's elo hell in ranked 5s.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

HiggsBoson81 posted:

How is the team they're playing an LCS team? Wild turtle doesn't jungle. It's one LCS guy in his lane and a bunch of other random diamond 1/challenger people.

Really you just have to look at their solo queue record to see they're not competitive, teams who intend to join the LCS don't usually get stuck in Gold. Not like there's elo hell in ranked 5s.

Erm, I don't remember saying that they were playing against an LCS team :iiam: But putting any semi-newly created team up against a bunch of players that play professionally isn't exactly a fair match. I don't think they are a good team in any way shape or form but its difficult to call them bad for losing to experienced professionals.

semicolonsrock
Aug 26, 2009

chugga chugga chugga

Ninkobei posted:

Erm, I don't remember saying that they were playing against an LCS team :iiam: But putting any semi-newly created team up against a bunch of players that play professionally isn't exactly a fair match. I don't think they are a good team in any way shape or form but its difficult to call them bad for losing to experienced professionals.

This. I wouldn't infer too much. Give them some time and see how they do in the challenger circuit. They might at least be mid tier for amateur teams. And it's not like winning the LCS is their marketing shtick so it's not a huge deal.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!

Ninkobei posted:

Losing to experienced professionals doing intentionally bad things. :pwn:

Edit: three of the people they went against are not professionals, even. Just random solo queue D1s. (People that actually earned it)

Koguma fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 6, 2013

spacebrospiff
May 2, 2013

I like oddone's sassy commentary.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The saddest part of Team Siren is the constant reminder from comments that the majority of gamers buy into that mens rights bullshit or are obliviously misogynistic. Although given how popular racist, homophobic, or sexual violence terms still are among pro gamers on their streams this shouldn't really be a surprise.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

The saddest part of Team Siren is the constant reminder from comments that the majority of gamers buy into that mens rights bullshit or are obliviously misogynistic. Although given how popular racist, homophobic, or sexual violence terms still are among pro gamers on their streams this shouldn't really be a surprise.

I'm not sure if it's still there, but when I checked the goofy Team Siren video on Youtube, the top comment was somebody mansplaining about how Team Siren was doing more to set back women's rights in LoL than "us men" had ever done. There's no self-awareness here. It's dead. They killed it. And then they shouted in allchat about how self-awareness was gay and they raped it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Other than being a team of 5 girls there's not much else to talk about. Unfortunately at least half their team was carried by LCS or Solo All-Star players to their current elo, and without those people carrying them as a team I don't really see them making it out of Platinum. People like SivHD or Choleraninja are really fun to watch in an entertaining way, but they'll never make it out of Platinum either (Actually I don't even think either of them have made it out of gold before)

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Jonny Angel posted:

I'm not sure if it's still there, but when I checked the goofy Team Siren video on Youtube, the top comment was somebody mansplaining about how Team Siren was doing more to set back women's rights in LoL than "us men" had ever done. There's no self-awareness here. It's dead. They killed it. And then they shouted in allchat about how self-awareness was gay and they raped it.

My favorites are the ones complaining that it is sexist to keep men from joining.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Hafu did an interesting AMA the other day where she went into girl gamers and the possibility of female pro teams. She went into a lot of detail with her own experiences and it was a really good perspective with some insights.

It starts at around 12 hours 16 minutes for those who are interested.

Edit: Actually it's really hard to find the interesting bits, the AMA was kinda long and there's no underlying theme to it. There's another interesting bit around 11 hours 42 minutes.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 6, 2013

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

Hafu did an interesting AMA the other day where she went into girl gamers and the possibility of female pro teams. She went into a lot of detail with her own experiences and it was a really good perspective with some insights.

It starts at around 12 hours 16 minutes for those who are interested.

Edit: Actually it's really hard to find the interesting bits, the AMA was kinda long and there's no underlying theme to it. There's another interesting bit around 11 hours 42 minutes.

Her Reddit AMA was pretty decent, they did an ok (for Reddit) job of moderating the comments.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Looks like Edward may have been picked by Curse, of all teams. Watch this at 34 minutes.

http://www.twitch.tv/crs_saintvicious/b/413638540

edit: could be a joke but Saint's reaction makes me think otherwise. Additionally Curse have a "big announcement" coming tomorrow.

fariz
Nov 10, 2009

You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
Is Edward the guy that's supposed to be the Thresh savant?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Yes.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Is Edward actually a russian spy ? And the entire curse franchise a cover ? :tinfoil:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Leaving Gambit because his and Genja's playstyles don't mix makes sense, but to join Curse to play with Cop who's renowned for being a passive, farm-heavy-for-teamfight-power guy himself seems a bit... weird. Still, should be interesting.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Allyn posted:

Leaving Gambit because his and Genja's playstyles don't mix makes sense, but to join Curse to play with Cop who's renowned for being a passive, farm-heavy-for-teamfight-power guy himself seems a bit... weird. Still, should be interesting.

Also he complained about Gambit's lack of results in the last year. Better head over to NA and join the 4th ranked team that's in the middle of a huge slump. I think cop's actually a much better ADC than people give him credit for though, he hasn't ever had a really strong support to back him up. In the unlikely event this isn't all a big troll from saint vicious it'll make for an interesting Summer split at least, and potentially worlds.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I would sooner think I am losing my god drat mind than to believe that Edward is coming over to NA. But if it did happen it would be completely badass because Edward is one of the most fun supports to watch and I was seriously bummed to hear he quit gambit.

Also cop sucks. He could be great, maybe, if heexpanded his champ pool. Until then though, meh.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
If Edward really ends up on CRS, that is a huge, huge pick up.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Are there any big events this weekend?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Sexpansion posted:

If Edward really ends up on CRS, that is a huge, huge pick up.

Well, there he is. Crs Edward.

I wonder if the language barrier will be trouble.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Wow.

http://www.teamcurse.net/news/24530-team-curse-adds-edward-to-starting-league-of

quote:

Team Curse welcomes a new addition to their League of Legends team, former Gambit Gaming support player Edward. Former support player Rhux will move back to his a role as a substitute for the team, and will continue to play on Curse Academy. Edward arrives in North America to join his new teammates Saturday June 8th and will immediately begin practicing for Week 1 of the LCS which starts on June 12th.

The team has been dominating in scrims recently, and looks to only build on that success with Edward. Edward will join a Curse team that had immense success during the regular season, but fell off during the playoffs after a roster change. This change is aimed at making them the best in North America and looking to make them a serious threat at world championships beyond. Team Manager Steve 'Liquid112" Arhancet offered the following on the changes:

I'm excited to announce EdWard, previous member from Gambit Gaming will be joining Team Curse as starting support player. Edward was elected to represent EU at all-stars and is considered to be one of the best support players in the world. Adding a player of his caliber to the team should make us a serious threat in the NA LCS and beyond.

Edward comes in being recognized as one of the top supports worldwide, and is renowned for his ability to carry from the least heralded position in League of Legends. His Thresh play in particular earned him huge respect throughout Europe, and he looks to bring that same style of play to a North American scene that is on the rise.

Edward offered the following thoughts on joining Team Curse and leaving Gambit:

Leaving Gambit Gaming was a a very hard decision for me. I've been thinking about it for awhile and finally decided it was time. I'm very glad for the time I spent with these guys for almost 2 years. Leaving the team in which you played for more than a year and a half is always hard, and I feel like I lost a part of my family. Gambit changed me, changed for the better. I want to say a special thank you to two players and friends (Alex_ich and Darien). I love you guys , and of course thanks to Groove - my second dad.

Becoming a free agent, I was contacted by many different teams and it's not just America and Europe. I was a little surprised by this, but decided Team Curse was the best fit for me. I'm ready to join a new team and prove that it was the right call. The first weeks of our games will be difficult, because I haven't played with them and I have a little trouble with the English language, but eventually everything will improve and we will be a strong team.
This addition marks a new era for Team Curse, and with the LCS just around the corner, the community won't have to wait long to see the new lineup in action. Curse finished 2nd in the regular season during the spring, and their sights are only aimed higher for the summer with Edward at support.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

So, I wonder how long before teams from other regions head on over to NA to crap all over our lovely teams for an easier bid into worlds/more prize money? That's basically what happened with Starcraft 2's regional system.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

HiggsBoson81 posted:

So, I wonder how long before teams from other regions head on over to NA to crap all over our lovely teams for an easier bid into worlds/more prize money? That's basically what happened with Starcraft 2's regional system.

I don't think that will happen. At the top, NA is pretty much on par with the other regions with the exception of Korea. There's just less depth.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

HiggsBoson81 posted:

unlike the WCS system, teams have to actually be based in NA to play in NA (all the LCS matches are done in studio, right?). You might see some players transferring regions, but I'd be shocked to see an entire team uproot and move to...wherever Riot is basing LCS NA from.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Jackie D posted:

unlike the WCS system, teams have to actually be based in NA to play in NA (all the LCS matches are done in studio, right?). You might see some players transferring regions, but I'd be shocked to see an entire team uproot and move to...wherever Riot is basing LCS NA from.

Maybe, there's also a lot more money to be had from Riot than the WCS. People uproot for jobs all the time it's not that big a deal. Also uprooting and moving to California isn't exactly a huge punishment. If they're korean they could probably find a community where they don't even need to speak English beyond having a manager who does so.

It's debatable to say that we're on par with Europe or China. Yeah we beat EU's all-star team and good for us, not last place and all, but outside all-stars NA hasn't done well internationally in a while. I hope MLG gets some good international exhibition matches going at their next event at the end of June. Although currently there's no mention of international exhibition matches at all on their site so it might just be LCS and their amateur tournament, oh well.

I guess the biggest issue for an asian team that moved here would be losing their scrimming environment, which might cut out a lot of the advantage they currently have over NA over time.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That is crazy. I wonder if there was any incentive above and beyond the LCS salary for him to choose Curse over another squad besides obvious need.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Badfinger posted:

That is crazy. I wonder if there was any incentive above and beyond the LCS salary for him to choose Curse over another squad besides obvious need.

US Work visa probably doesn't hurt.

Also, the CRS post is the top post on all of Reddit right now. League is huge.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Sexpansion posted:

US Work visa probably doesn't hurt.

Also, the CRS post is the top post on all of Reddit right now. League is huge.

I was thinking "signing bonus". You can get a visa for every other NA LCS team, too.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Badfinger posted:

I was thinking "signing bonus". You can get a visa for every other NA LCS team, too.

True. CRS is obviously the best fit, though: they're a very good team that needed a support.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 7, 2013

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Badfinger posted:

CRS isn't afraid to spend money on players.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

This is awesome just to see more of Edward playing support.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
Next up: Crs Aphromoo?

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Good for Curse, I have no idea why Edward would want to leave Gambit for them though, seems like a dramatic step down for him.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Zahki posted:

Good for Curse, I have no idea why Edward would want to leave Gambit for them though, seems like a dramatic step down for him.

I'm sure Russia's an awesome place but why would you not take more money and a house in California over less money in Russia? Sure GG probably has a better shot at worlds, but they probably aren't going to win it either, they didn't even win EU LCS. With Edward Curse at least has a shot at winning NA LCS and going on to not win worlds, so pretty similar. Except higher salary/American work visa/Improved English skills, in terms of "Hey what if I can't play LoL until I'm 65?" This is a pretty smart move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I think you guys are severely underestimating how much money worlds is actually worth to a member of curse. It would be a very nice bonus, but I would be loving shocked if all the members of curse aren't making at least 200k a year, just for being on the team.

• Locked thread