Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrpeaches
Jan 12, 2005

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Net10 only seems to have T-mobile SIMs as well.

e; Found some cheap ones on ebay.
Also the plan is 50$ as opposed to $45 for straight talk. However the price differences b/w the sims makes up for that.

I walked into a Radio Shack here in Northern CA two days ago and they had well over 10 NET10 SIM kits on the wall. The SIM kit has an AT&T regular SIM, AT&T micro SIM, and T-Mobile regular SIM all in the same packet. I popped the AT&T micro SIM into my Lumia 620 and it's been great.

I doubt I found the only store selling these SIM kits, so I think they're probably decently widespread. Worth checking out if you're interested.

Also, if you sign up for monthly auto-pay with NET10, the plan is the same $45/month as ST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Last week I bought a Net10 SIM pack for $15 from Target, which included full size SIMs for both ATT and T-Mo, as well as an ATT micro Sim.

So far I used the micro Sim, decided to try cutting switching to the T-Mo one, found out it was OK except for the fatlands out in the suburbs where I conveniently have a weekly doctor appointment for the next few weeks, plus some weird call dropping, so I cut the ATT one and ported back.

Cliff notes: check your local Target.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

MAJOR STRYkER posted:

Net10 only seems to have T-mobile SIMs as well.

e; Found some cheap ones on ebay.
Also the plan is 50$ as opposed to $45 for straight talk. However the price differences b/w the sims makes up for that.

Net10 sells AT&T SIMs if you give them a ZIP code with no T-Mobile coverage. I live in an area with great T-Mobile coverage but I wanted an AT&T SIM for traveling to visit relatives in a rural area with only AT&T. Putting in my home ZIP code gives me only T-Mobile SIMs but putting in my relative's ZIP code gives me AT&T SIMs.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

This is starting to sound like I should buy a bunch of those sim packs.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I wish I had not bought a year card for my ST plan. I want to pull out and jump to TMO but I don't want to lose any money :-/

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^
So I got my brother an unlocked GSM compatible 16GB iPhone 4 to be used with a Straight Talk plan, but I only just discovered that I had to buy a specific sim that ST no longer sells if he wants to good speeds. He received the phone today and is unable to do anything but connect to wifi before failing activation. Does he just need to have a sim in to activate it? How do I know if MMS will work? This is a bit confusing

:negative:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Powerful Wizard IRL posted:

So I got my brother an unlocked GSM compatible 16GB iPhone 4 to be used with a Straight Talk plan, but I only just discovered that I had to buy a specific sim that ST no longer sells if he wants to good speeds. He received the phone today and is unable to do anything but connect to wifi before failing activation. Does he just need to have a sim in to activate it? How do I know if MMS will work? This is a bit confusing

:negative:

So he'd need an AT&T SIM? They haven't gotten rid of AT&T, you just need to buy them elsewhere. eBay has jacked the price up insanely high as ST got REALLY popular after the Nexus 4 came out.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I wanted to share my experience switching to prepaid T-Mobile.

I had Sprint, which gave me barely acceptable voice coverage in my area and very slow sub-CDMA data speeds. I had previously purchased Roam Control, which allows you to force supported phones into "roam only" service. This was occasionally the best thing, as it allowed me to roam at 2g speeds on Verizon towers, so I would basically be forcing my phone to receive service instead of having it constantly search for Sprint towers.

I had originally signed up for a Sprint SERO plan, which was 500 minutes with text & web for $30/month. I had a phone stolen, and my insurance replacement forced an "upgrade" in my plan -- the same exact plan for $60/month. I was extremely irritated, but obviously I was in need of activating a phone and didn't have time to dick around with a solution.

I decided I was ready for a Nexus 4 with prepaid service. I turned on Roam Control, and every night I plugged in my phone, turned the volume off, and streamed Google Music. I was attempting to get my service cancelled with no ETF by "roaming excessively." I was still waiting for delivery of the N4 when my service abruptly, without notice OF ANY KIND, was canceled. There was no ETF. But. They straight up tried to tell me that I couldn't port my number because my account was canceled. Several short internet chats and phone calls later, they restored my account and allowed me to port. They also charged me an extra month for service and wouldn't refund me anything.

I was nervous about service with a prepaid carrier. I live near a mid-size California city, and I work in a different suburb. So I need service in the city (not an issue), but also in two different smaller suburbs (possible issue). With no service, I just took the plunge on the $30/month 5gb/100min/text T-Mo plan without testing beforehand.

The voice service and data coverage is similar to Sprint. In the city, I get perfect coverage. At home, I'm on WiFi anyway, but the voice coverage is imperfect and I need to be in certain parts of the house. At work, I only get coverage in about 80% of the total area where I am located.

The data speeds, even on those rare occasions where I drop to EDGE, beat what I used to get with Sprint. I never once connected to WiMax (lol!), even in goddamn San Francisco, and I got out before their LTE rollout. The voice service is fine. I have had no issues with activation, porting, service, or anything else that has necessitated contacting support (beyond the initial call to port my number).

I got a SIM for $0.99 online, but before I got it, I tried to just buy one in-store, and they tried to charge me $20. Bitch please.

The first month I went over my 100 minutes, for a total overage of like $3. I don't use 5GB of data and I don't foresee that I will, but I generally use 1-2 and it's nice to know I won't get throttled.

For my use, it's really close to the perfect plan.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nocal posted:

I wanted to share my experience switching to prepaid T-Mobile.

I had Sprint, which gave me barely acceptable voice coverage in my area and very slow sub-CDMA data speeds. I had previously purchased Roam Control, which allows you to force supported phones into "roam only" service. This was occasionally the best thing, as it allowed me to roam at 2g speeds on Verizon towers, so I would basically be forcing my phone to receive service instead of having it constantly search for Sprint towers.

I had originally signed up for a Sprint SERO plan, which was 500 minutes with text & web for $30/month. I had a phone stolen, and my insurance replacement forced an "upgrade" in my plan -- the same exact plan for $60/month. I was extremely irritated, but obviously I was in need of activating a phone and didn't have time to dick around with a solution.

I decided I was ready for a Nexus 4 with prepaid service. I turned on Roam Control, and every night I plugged in my phone, turned the volume off, and streamed Google Music. I was attempting to get my service cancelled with no ETF by "roaming excessively." I was still waiting for delivery of the N4 when my service abruptly, without notice OF ANY KIND, was canceled. There was no ETF. But. They straight up tried to tell me that I couldn't port my number because my account was canceled. Several short internet chats and phone calls later, they restored my account and allowed me to port. They also charged me an extra month for service and wouldn't refund me anything.

I was nervous about service with a prepaid carrier. I live near a mid-size California city, and I work in a different suburb. So I need service in the city (not an issue), but also in two different smaller suburbs (possible issue). With no service, I just took the plunge on the $30/month 5gb/100min/text T-Mo plan without testing beforehand.

The voice service and data coverage is similar to Sprint. In the city, I get perfect coverage. At home, I'm on WiFi anyway, but the voice coverage is imperfect and I need to be in certain parts of the house. At work, I only get coverage in about 80% of the total area where I am located.

The data speeds, even on those rare occasions where I drop to EDGE, beat what I used to get with Sprint. I never once connected to WiMax (lol!), even in goddamn San Francisco, and I got out before their LTE rollout. The voice service is fine. I have had no issues with activation, porting, service, or anything else that has necessitated contacting support (beyond the initial call to port my number).

I got a SIM for $0.99 online, but before I got it, I tried to just buy one in-store, and they tried to charge me $20. Bitch please.

The first month I went over my 100 minutes, for a total overage of like $3. I don't use 5GB of data and I don't foresee that I will, but I generally use 1-2 and it's nice to know I won't get throttled.

For my use, it's really close to the perfect plan.

What happened with the number port is what is supposed to happen. If your account is canceled or disconnected in any way, you will not be able to port your number over.

In all honesty, you were lucky to be able to port it at all. But its probably why they had to charge you for the extra month.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

What happened with the number port is what is supposed to happen. If your account is canceled or disconnected in any way, you will not be able to port your number over.

In all honesty, you were lucky to be able to port it at all. But its probably why they had to charge you for the extra month.

I ported my number out and Sprint has apparently attempted to gently caress me out of the ETF plus a months service.

I didn't scan it but I took a picture of the letter regarding cancellation. I wonder if they noticed me going to Ting for a month. I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone other than a billing agent who has no idea what I am talking about.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

I ported my number out and Sprint has apparently attempted to gently caress me out of the ETF plus a months service.

I didn't scan it but I took a picture of the letter regarding cancellation. I wonder if they noticed me going to Ting for a month. I have to wait until Monday to talk to someone other than a billing agent who has no idea what I am talking about.

Carriers seriously hate porting numbers. They hate doing the work it requires to do so.

When I worked for Virgin Mobile (and when they sucked less), we had to do port outs and port ins all the time. Sprint and AT&T were the biggest offenders. All the user has to do is give the username, password, and account over to the other carrier and the carrier will initiate the port out / port in. The other carrier just has to let go of the number and give it to the other carrier and that's that. But carriers like to drag their feet or gently caress people out of doing it. Unfortunately for them (and fortunately for the customers), it's against the law to NOT allow porting numbers...but the carriers will still find a way.

When I left Sprint, I didn't have an issues. I ported my number to Google Voice a week before my final bill with Sprint. They waited a good 3 weeks before they actually billed me for the ETF though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

Carriers seriously hate porting numbers. They hate doing the work it requires to do so.

When I worked for Virgin Mobile (and when they sucked less), we had to do port outs and port ins all the time. Sprint and AT&T were the biggest offenders. All the user has to do is give the username, password, and account over to the other carrier and the carrier will initiate the port out / port in. The other carrier just has to let go of the number and give it to the other carrier and that's that. But carriers like to drag their feet or gently caress people out of doing it. Unfortunately for them (and fortunately for the customers), it's against the law to NOT allow porting numbers...but the carriers will still find a way.

When I left Sprint, I didn't have an issues. I ported my number to Google Voice a week before my final bill with Sprint. They waited a good 3 weeks before they actually billed me for the ETF though.

That is what happened with me - I got the letter on 4/1 and ported to Ting within the week. Looks like I got the ETF applied in late April or early May, but no notice from Sprint, just the "hey your bill is past due" email.

Great, now I have to fight that bullshit again.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

nocal posted:

Whoops I just paid $10 for a sim direct from t-mobile. For future reference where did you get yours from?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

chunkles posted:

Whoops I just paid $10 for a sim direct from t-mobile. For future reference where did you get yours from?

From T-Mobile’s website. Occasionally they will sell them for a dollar. I've picked up some free ones before just to have

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Does anyone know if or how international roaming works on StraightTalk w/AT&T? Specifically if I were travelling from the U.S.A. to Canada? Or, would it be possible to do this on AT&T GoPhone?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

Does anyone know if or how international roaming works on StraightTalk w/AT&T? Specifically if I were travelling from the U.S.A. to Canada? Or, would it be possible to do this on AT&T GoPhone?

Straight Talk doesn't have international roaming.

As for GoPhone, you can only roam in Canada and Mexico, all other countries require a post-paid AT&T plan. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp

NOT PAUL LAYTON
Nov 27, 2004

You've got about as much skill as the rest of the aforementioned 500-degree-pizza-making, twice-fermenting, under-kneading, poorly-seasoning, parchment-using yokels.
I currently have an android (lg optimus) on a sprint family plan fully integrated with google voice--I don't even use the phone anymore, I take all calls on my PC through headset and do all my texting that way since I work from home. The family contract is about to expire, and I'd really like to avoid starting a new sprint contract. Do I have any options to keep my number and full google voice functionality?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

I currently have an android (lg optimus) on a sprint family plan fully integrated with google voice--I don't even use the phone anymore, I take all calls on my PC through headset and do all my texting that way since I work from home. The family contract is about to expire, and I'd really like to avoid starting a new sprint contract. Do I have any options to keep my number and full google voice functionality?

Before the account expires, you should port your number over to Google Voice for $20.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Attention cheapskates:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2013/06/05/data-for-nothing-calls-for-free-how-freedompop-will-offer-free-phone-service/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What kind of sick joke is that, VOIP over Sprint 3G?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm sorry but after experiencing GSM and the possibility of having TONS OF PHONES without getting a new contract, I just can't go back to CDMA. :(

Even if it's free. :v:

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

What kind of sick joke is that, VOIP over Sprint 3G?

Actually Sprint 3G isn't nearly as bad as it used to be if your towers have been updated by the NV.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Actually Sprint 3G isn't nearly as bad as it used to be if your towers have been updated by the NV.

TEU and I both live in Omaha, NE. We won't see NV here until well into 2014, if at all. We were promised Wi-Max too but never got it. Sprint 3G is just going to be 100% awful for many cities for quite a while.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I'm not sure if the Sprint towers where I am have been updated, but odds are probably not. One of the reasons why I've just ordered a Nexus 4 today so I can switch to a different provider.

Which reminds me if anyone is in the market for a Nexus 4, they're including the bumper guard for free with every purchase until supplies last (from the Google Play store).

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Stick100 posted:

No, they're still utter poo poo in my area, which supposedly had 13 speed/capacity upgrades in the last 6 months.

Still a 56k modem at best, with no fewer than average data connection drops.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ThermoPhysical posted:

TEU and I both live in Omaha, NE. We won't see NV here until well into 2014, if at all. We were promised Wi-Max too but never got it. Sprint 3G is just going to be 100% awful for many cities for quite a while.

:ssh: word has it they put up a tower in Valley.

Of all loving places they put it up in the goddamn sticks.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

1karus posted:

I would like to report that these MMS settings posted in this thread worked on my N4 on ST. Granted I won't be using MMS since I'm running everything through google voice. Also, since calling mart isn't selling ST refills, is my only option just to auto-renew on their site?

FYI, I just ported over from Virgin Mobile to ST AT&T today on my Nexus 4. Working flawlessly so far and it says I have HSPA 4G. Probably the easiest cellular phone adventure I've had in a long time. I didn't even have to call StraightTalk, I just did the port through the website and everything. The port was complete in less than an hour. Below is what I had to use for data and MMS to work:

quote:

Name: Straight Talk
APN: tfdata
Proxy: Not set
Port: 80
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: PAP
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enabled
Bearer: Unspecified

Your results may vary but this was the only way to get data & MMS working on mine. Borrowed some of the information from here.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

FYI, I just ported over from Virgin Mobile to ST AT&T today on my Nexus 4. Working flawlessly so far and it says I have HSPA 4G. Probably the easiest cellular phone adventure I've had in a long time. I didn't even have to call StraightTalk, I just did the port through the website and everything. The port was complete in less than an hour. Below is what I had to use for data and MMS to work:

Your results may vary but this was the only way to get data & MMS working on mine. Borrowed some of the information from here.

Girlfriend had previously been using a profile from unlockit.co.nz but that stopped working a few days ago. Ended up having to call up Straight Talk to see what was the problem and they advised installing a profile from iapnupdatetfdata.straighttalk.com which promptly fixed the problem.

But yeah, outside of that and a porting issue, straight talk has been great.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there an actual difference between an unlocked phone and one that is just marked AT&T on swappa if I just want to use net10?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

TLG James posted:

Is there an actual difference between an unlocked phone and one that is just marked AT&T on swappa if I just want to use net10?
From what I can tell on Net10's and StraightTalk's SIM sales sites, their SIMs use the same Carrier IDs as the network the run on. An AT&T locked phone will work with an AT&T Net10 SIM, a T-Mobile locked phone will work with a T-Mobile Net10 SIM.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

goku chewbacca posted:

From what I can tell on Net10's and StraightTalk's SIM sales sites, their SIMs use the same Carrier IDs as the network the run on. An AT&T locked phone will work with an AT&T Net10 SIM, a T-Mobile locked phone will work with a T-Mobile Net10 SIM.

I am fairly sure this is the case. The 3-SIM pack they sell for $15 here says "<carrier> compatible or unlocked phone" for each. On that note, I mildly hosed up cutting my SIM and it's so small that it will fall through the SIM holder in my Nexus 4 unless I finagle it to just rest on the very edges of the little lip in there. However, it works just fine. Lined it up properly so the pins made contact and I've had no problems.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

I am fairly sure this is the case. The 3-SIM pack they sell for $15 here says "<carrier> compatible or unlocked phone" for each. On that note, I mildly hosed up cutting my SIM and it's so small that it will fall through the SIM holder in my Nexus 4 unless I finagle it to just rest on the very edges of the little lip in there. However, it works just fine. Lined it up properly so the pins made contact and I've had no problems.

If you do have problems you can just cut it a bit more down to nano-size and get a nano to micro-SIM adapter. I did this exact thing with a friend's phone. Oops.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Anyone have any experience with http://www.republicwireless.com/ ? I saw an ad for them and upon looking into them it sounds like it would fit my lifestyle quite easily. I make most of my cell calls from home or work with the remaining few in major cities with Sprint in it. I guess is there anything I'm missing or if I have a rock solid work and home Internet connection is this a reasonable idea for $19 a month?

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Onion Rings posted:

Anyone have any experience with http://www.republicwireless.com/ ? I saw an ad for them and upon looking into them it sounds like it would fit my lifestyle quite easily. I make most of my cell calls from home or work with the remaining few in major cities with Sprint in it. I guess is there anything I'm missing or if I have a rock solid work and home Internet connection is this a reasonable idea for $19 a month?
They only offer one very dated phone, and may terminate your service if you use too much data or calling minutes when not on WiFi. The Motorola Defy XT has a 480x800 screen and a single core Snapdragon processor. The specs are 3 or 4 generations old.

Issues to research on your own: does it allow voice/text or data roaming? When you walk out of your house while on a WiFi call, does it handoff to a Sprint tower or drop the call? Does their Terms of Service specify how much Sprint voice and data you're allowed to use? Do they send you warnings first, or terminate your service?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know when it popped up, but Galaxy SIII on VM:
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/shop/cell-phones/samsung-galaxy-III-4G-LTE-phone/features/

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So my data on straight talk stopped working like 3 weeks ago for no reason, my iphone 4 just says I have no data plan. Kinda happened around my plan auto-payed itself.

Has this happened to anybody else, know what to do to fix it?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Xeom posted:

So my data on straight talk stopped working like 3 weeks ago for no reason, my iphone 4 just says I have no data plan. Kinda happened around my plan auto-payed itself.

Has this happened to anybody else, know what to do to fix it?

This tends to happen with auto-pay plans, it seems. Even happened to me on Virgin Mobile once.

You'll have to call ST or just try to find their Live Chat option and see if they can help.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My friend has my old VM phone and is looking to get the SIII. He hasn't paid for the VM plan in like 6 weeks (he was originally using it as a cheap WiFi hotspot at a comic convention two months ago), but can still make calls and use 3G. His account says that he's late paying, his CC is in the system, but auto-pay isn't turned on. Any idea how he still has service?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Uthor posted:

My friend has my old VM phone and is looking to get the SIII. He hasn't paid for the VM plan in like 6 weeks (he was originally using it as a cheap WiFi hotspot at a comic convention two months ago), but can still make calls and use 3G. His account says that he's late paying, his CC is in the system, but auto-pay isn't turned on. Any idea how he still has service?

It hasn't gone to collections yet, but once it does he won't have service anymore and will also have a mark on his credit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

It hasn't gone to collections yet, but once it does he won't have service anymore and will also have a mark on his credit.

Virgin Mobile doesn't send things into collections like Sprint does.

Since they're prepaid, you can just stop paying and they'll disconnect your service. I called and asked them this when I was leaving them for Sprint a year ago. However, there ARE cases where they'll do some weird poo poo like pay your bill for you and send you a letter that begs you to come back. They did that for me too and I pretty much had two phones for a month and they didn't care.

It's been this way since at least 2008 when I worked for Virgin Mobile. When someone stopped paying, we just cut their service off. I guess they've gotten more desperate now to go and pay the bill anyway though.

What's happening is VM will eventually cut it off. They did that for me too once I stopped paying. They'll probably flood him with e-mails and letters for a bit too to persuade him to come back.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 13, 2013

• Locked thread