Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

70 square would give an 8" drop on all sides, which, with a counter height table, I'm not quite sure how it would look. 90" would give an 18" drop. I don't know. Maybe this table just isn't meant to have a tablecloth.

We have a sewing machine but I don't really know how to use it. :ohdear:

Gravity. Of all the things you can do, using a sewing machine is not going to be that hard for you to pick up. Take a piece of scrap cloth, run it a few times to get a hang of making a good edge. Cut a square, double fold the hem, draw a straight line with your sewing machine. (Disclaimer: Might or might not actually work.)

On the other hand, I think 8 inch overhang should be fine. Can't say for sure without a picture though - what do the corners look like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Gravity. Of all the things you can do, using a sewing machine is not going to be that hard for you to pick up. Take a piece of scrap cloth, run it a few times to get a hang of making a good edge. Cut a square, double fold the hem, draw a straight line with your sewing machine. (Disclaimer: Might or might not actually work.)

On the other hand, I think 8 inch overhang should be fine. Can't say for sure without a picture though - what do the corners look like?

Here's the table

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
I meant with the cloth... :lol:

Depending on the thickness, weight and texture of the cloth, how it hangs (especially at the corners) can be very different.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

Here's the table

You should consider getting one large table for your dining room instead of so many smaller ones.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

this was at the furniture store silly

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I like that big chair on the right side, you can have pr0k's mom over for dinner.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
To be honest, I was thinking you wanted a table cloth because you were going to be a cheap skate and didn't want to finish the table top. That would work with a center piece and place mats. I loveeeeeee that bench chair.

I bought a house so all I think about is decorating now.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Short version: How do I make sure a saucepan that had over a year's worth of mold buildup in it is clean and usable?

Long version: Little over a year ago, I moved out of the place I was staying, and my only saucepan got left there, and whether because I left something in there or my friends used it after I left and didn't clean it or something, some food ended up left in it. My friends, instead of throwing the contents in the garbage and the pan in the sink when they realized this, decided to put it out in the garage, with the lid on it. This is in California, so it was really, really freaking hot, too.

Fast-forward to a couple of days ago, and I decide to go pick up the pan, because I'm low on cash so not having to buy new stuff would be nice. Also I don't have a car, so I'd have to bike to wherever I'd buy a new one from, and then bike back with it in tow, which kind of sucks. This is when I discover the condition it's in. Attempts to disinfect it so far have been, as far as I can tell, unsuccessful.

First, friend put some Ajax powder in it, filled it with water, and let it set for a while. Later, I took it and scrubbed it out with soap and hot water and all that. Then, just to be sure, I filled it with water and boiled it for... I dunno, some amount of time.

End result? The mold stains and stuff, which were hard to see after the first two steps, are now bright white and plainly visible, and most definitely still there. Scrubbing a bit more hasn't seemed to make a huge difference either.

I'm wondering if there's some way to deal with this and make it safe to use, or if I should just give up and buy a new saucepan. Tried Google already, but only advice it had was "use bleach", and that was the first thing I did.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about this. Just figured that this was technically related to cooking, so this seemed like the best place to ask.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Roland Jones posted:

I'm wondering if there's some way to deal with this and make it safe to use, or if I should just give up and buy a new saucepan. Tried Google already, but only advice it had was "use bleach", and that was the first thing I did.

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask about this. Just figured that this was technically related to cooking, so this seemed like the best place to ask.

Is it non-stick? If it's just a plain metal saucepan, you can always get some fine grit sandpaper and rub it 'till it looks new. Steel wool may also work.

The metal was probably etched and corroded by the mold, so as long as you get all the biological gunk off, the white stuff is likely corroded metal. Ugly, but quite possibly safe. I will not guarantee that's what it is, however.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I wouldn't put a tablecloth on that table, myself - the wood looks very nice. Rather, I would get inventive with table runners and woven placemats and such for almost all regular use. If you really wanted a tablecloth, though, I think the 8 inch drop would be fine given the height of the chairs relative to the rest of the table.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good way to replace sugar with honey, measurement wise? How much does it change the taste?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SlayVus posted:

Is there a good way to replace sugar with honey, measurement wise? How much does it change the taste?

I've always gone by 1:1 for the first cup, then about 1(sugar) to 2/3(honey) for every amount after that. I'd also recommend you reduce your liquid by 20% for every cup of honey used. If you're making low liquid stuff, add extra thickener (flour for pie crusts, etc.). My personal preference is to just substitute one half a cup of honey (sometimes even a little less) for every one cup of sugar. Most recipes call for insane amounts of sugar anyways, and I've found you can cut sugar and still have comparable taste.

I don't really bake, but I've heard you should cook honey substituted bakey-things at a lower temperature. I've only heard a flat rate of 25 degrees less than the original heat (something about honey browning faster than normal sugar). That's all hearsay, though. The first paragraph I've done in practice.

Taste-wise, if you use a really light colored honey, there's very little difference; darker honey leaves a nice, complex molasses-ey taste.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 5, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Is there any way this is not a scam? Someone put a brand new Euro Cave (http://www.wineenthusiast.com/eurocave-comfort-266-connoisseur-s-package-wine-cellar.asp) on craigslist for $300 say that they were trying to sell out their warehouse because they were losing a part of it. I'm going to look at it today to see if it functions, but I haven't seen one in real life so I have no idea what to look for.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought a ton of pork chops on sale today (cause they were "expiring" today). Is it "safe"/"ok" to just cook them all up in one batch and then freeze them individually so I can just defrost them while I'm at work in the fridge and microwave them for fast dinner?

Also, I've been wanting fish and chips for a while so I'd like to try to make them this weekend. What kind of fish should I use for this and how do I make the batter?

e: Wikipedia says cod or haddock for the fish. Actually it looks like anything white is good to go.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 5, 2013

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

Is there any way this is not a scam? Someone put a brand new Euro Cave (http://www.wineenthusiast.com/eurocave-comfort-266-connoisseur-s-package-wine-cellar.asp) on craigslist for $300 say that they were trying to sell out their warehouse because they were losing a part of it. I'm going to look at it today to see if it functions, but I haven't seen one in real life so I have no idea what to look for.

If it looks right, turns on, doesn't make any funny noises, and you can feel the cooling/airflow, you're probably good, and it's always a possibility that it's real and they need to liquidate. But... they should be able to do that at even $2k pretty quickly. Seems like it may be stolen, or they may just want to knock you out and have their way with you. Only one way to find out!

Hawkeye
Jun 2, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Short version: How do I make sure a saucepan that had over a year's worth of mold buildup in it is clean and usable?

End result? The mold stains and stuff, which were hard to see after the first two steps, are now bright white and plainly visible, and most definitely still there. Scrubbing a bit more hasn't seemed to make a huge difference either.

I would try barkeeper's friend before tossing or steel wool-ing the pan. On our stainless steel cookware we get white spots/marks from cooking things sometimes, and the barkeeper's take off those wont-scrub-off marks like magic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Boris Galerkin posted:

I bought a ton of pork chops on sale today (cause they were "expiring" today). Is it "safe"/"ok" to just cook them all up in one batch and then freeze them individually so I can just defrost them while I'm at work in the fridge and microwave them for fast dinner?

Also, I've been wanting fish and chips for a while so I'd like to try to make them this weekend. What kind of fish should I use for this and how do I make the batter?

e: Wikipedia says cod or haddock for the fish. Actually it looks like anything white is good to go.

For the porkchops, yes. You can cook and freeze them all. Or, you could freeze them raw in separate packages and defrost / roast as needed.

I've heard any white fish for fish and chips but Cod or Haddock are standard and you'll be more likely to find the thicker filet size that is befitting of the dish.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

baquerd posted:

If it looks right, turns on, doesn't make any funny noises, and you can feel the cooling/airflow, you're probably good, and it's always a possibility that it's real and they need to liquidate. But... they should be able to do that at even $2k pretty quickly. Seems like it may be stolen, or they may just want to knock you out and have their way with you. Only one way to find out!

Well, the business and transaction looked legit. I even got a corporate receipt and delivery confirmation. I don't think I'm going to believe it until 3 months into it running in my house though.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Delivery confirmation?

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Every time I make curry or soup or stew, it always tastes way better reheated the next day. Why is that?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cuddlebottom posted:

Every time I make curry or soup or stew, it always tastes way better reheated the next day. Why is that?

I'm sure there's a great scientific writeup on the web, but there are 3 things going on:

1. You haven't been standing over the stove smelling that food cook for the last hour, so it's 'new' to you.
2. The flavors soak into the food overnight
3. There are chemical reactions going on in the food over time that enhance and create flavors

There's probably more to it than that. It seems like anything tomato based tastes better (or has more flavor) the next day.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The difference is amazing sometimes. Last time I made red beans and rice it was merely okay, and I was disappointed. Next day when I reheated some, holy poo poo was it amazing. I don't know what happens but I'm happy it does.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

The difference is amazing sometimes. Last time I made red beans and rice it was merely okay, and I was disappointed. Next day when I reheated some, holy poo poo was it amazing. I don't know what happens but I'm happy it does.

Yup! My redbeans, gumbo and etoufee always taste better the next day. So much so that I've gotten in the habit of making them a day or two in advance when I know I will need the dish for a party or whatever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Cuddlebottom posted:

The most dramatic reaction is in the meat - when you cook the meat in a stew, it reaches a very high temperature and the proteins seize up, wring out the moisture inside the meat, and the meat becomes pretty dry. However, as it cools, the meat becomes relaxed again and takes in some of the moisture that was excreted, making the meat juicy again. This is more dramatic the faster the meat is cooked (as in a stew). Something slow-roasted (like, 14 hours) will take so long heating up that some of the enzymes will be deactivated and the proteins will contract less and much less moisture will be lost.

Higher-end restaurants that serve braised meat will almost always allow them to refrigerate in the cooking liquid at least overnight. Craft restaurant probably has about sixty portions of short rib in the fridge at a given time, and this is a good thing.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I don't think the proteins unseize do they? It's a one way reaction and they end up at whatever the highest temperature they reached.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

As much as I love my mom's lasagne, it's always better reheated the next day.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Exception to the rule: Thai seafood/fish curries suck the next day.
Which is a shame since that is one of my favourite foods but I usually only cook every 2-3 days, which means I can only cook foods that is good when reheated.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Fo3 posted:

Which is a shame since that is one of my favourite foods but I usually only cook every 2-3 days, which means I can only cook foods that is good when reheated.

True. Fish and shellfish are exempt from this but they have such a different temperature / cook time profile vs other proteins that it's not surprising anyway.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Bob Morales posted:

There's probably more to it than that. It seems like anything tomato based tastes better (or has more flavor) the next day.

I always chalk it up to the acid in the tomatoes doing some vague thing, but that's really more of a convenient hand wave than a real understanding.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Is buying duck fat on Amazon a horrible idea or the horriblest idea?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

Me in Reverse posted:

Neither? I got the same stuff from William Sonoma, and it's pretty good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Me in Reverse posted:

It's kind of expensive, but it's not at all wrong. I mean duck confit comes in a can (which is the point).

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

How much duck fat do you need? You can buy stewing ducks from 99 Ranch Market for 1.69/lb and they have plenty of fat on them.

Edit: I'mma guess its for confit. If that's so, ModCuisine taste tested and preferred sous vide duck confit to traditional pot-full-of-fat duck confit fwiw.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit: I'mma guess its for confit. If that's so, ModCuisine taste tested and preferred sous vide duck confit to traditional pot-full-of-fat duck confit fwiw.
Makes sense; there's really not any mechanism to transport much of that fat around to allow it to do anything with the meat. The traditional method uses a shitload of fat as a preservative, not for flavour.

And drat that's some expensive duckfat on amazon. I usually pay about US$7/lb from my local snooty yuppy grocer's, and I thought I was getting ripped off.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

Lots of people posted:

Huh, thanks for all the explanations. :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dammit. I was making a cheesecake and for some reason there's almond extract in the cupboard, I thought it was vanilla extract, and I poured out a small splash of it then realized it didn't smell right.

Am I going to ruin this thing or will I probably not be able to tell? It says 'GREAT IN PIES' on the bottle.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Fo3 posted:

Recipe for either of these would be awesome.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Bob Morales posted:

Dammit. I was making a cheesecake and for some reason there's almond extract in the cupboard, I thought it was vanilla extract, and I poured out a small splash of it then realized it didn't smell right.

Am I going to ruin this thing or will I probably not be able to tell? It says 'GREAT IN PIES' on the bottle.

Eh, could be worse. Give it a shot at least – I do like almost extract in a number of dessert applications.

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Is there a wok cooking megathread? I'm looking for a nice round-bottomed hammered carbon steel wok for a new outdoor range and have some general technique questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hobohemian posted:

Is there a wok cooking megathread? I'm looking for a nice round-bottomed hammered carbon steel wok for a new outdoor range and have some general technique questions.
Wok this way.

If I could wok that way, I wouldn't need the thread.