Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's amazing to me how many words K&K spent discussing the etymology of errand vs. errant, largely to defend Keith being totally wrong.
You dont think I looked all this stuff up myself when we were done? Rest assured, I did. I almost brought it up in our next session but totally forgot :/

but yeah, I was way wrong. poo poo happens. It could be worse, I could be wrong all the time instead of just this once :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

quakster posted:

Well, if you bother learning how the bubbles work, you can catch the vegetables from below and kill him in under a minute, but yeah the first time tends to take a while.

Case in point.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Kyle, Fast 5 owned and F&F6 is a lot of fun. Keith has no clue.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Its really interesting reading about other people's approach to this boss - if I were K&K, I would probably have done the same exact thing. I have the tendency of finding something that works, even if its suboptimal. It makes a lot more sense that if you have 40+ attempts to spend on him you would experiment with different methods. My friend is drat good at this - he recently played through 'Batman' on the NES, a game I couldn't beat at all when I was young, and at a boss, after two lives he'd change his strategy. He'd then start blending working strategies until coming up with a pretty solid method of defeating a boss.

I suppose its the difference between clinging on to every life as an opportunity to win versus an opportunity to learn.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You know, I was almost with Keith a bit on Fast 5 until he says people have an inflated view of the Rock and Vin Diesel.

Batman vs. Superman was basically the perfect description of that scene.

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

Somethingdumb posted:

You dont think I looked all this stuff up myself when we were done? Rest assured, I did. I almost brought it up in our next session but totally forgot :/

but yeah, I was way wrong. poo poo happens. It could be worse, I could be wrong all the time instead of just this once :colbert:

You are also wrong with Final Destination not being aware it is stupid.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You know, I was almost with Keith a bit on Fast 5 until he says people have an inflated view of the Rock and Vin Diesel.

Batman vs. Superman was basically the perfect description of that scene.

I did not know that a movie existed where those two fought and now I too must watch it. I watched the first Fast movie and was pretty okay to be done there, but welp. Guess destiny has other plans.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Eulisker posted:

You are also wrong with Final Destination not being aware it is stupid.

Maybe the first one doesn't, but the second and beyond ones definitely do.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Somethingdumb posted:

It could be worse, I could be wrong all the time instead of just this once :colbert:

Well I got news for you, it's worse. It's much worse :v:

Eulisker
Sep 2, 2011

kalonZombie posted:

Maybe the first one doesn't, but the second and beyond ones definitely do.

Even the first one does. The teacher kill is completely over the top and the movie knows it.

E: thinking about it the rest is also completely bonkers. I will never believe this movie taking itself serious.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
VE stands for Vegetable Enema, which is what Mario gets if he misses a catch while standing over those pipes.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.
Was this game also the first appearance of those tall shifting cactus guys that later appear more prominently in Super Mario World and 64?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RentCavalier posted:

I did not know that a movie existed where those two fought and now I too must watch it. I watched the first Fast movie and was pretty okay to be done there, but welp. Guess destiny has other plans.

Yes, absolutely change this. The first 3 are just good in a kinda cheesy way. 4 is a bit better. Then Fast 5 and 6 blow everything up and are wonderful and awesome, at least partially due to The Rock.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Was this game also the first appearance of those tall shifting cactus guys that later appear more prominently in Super Mario World and 64?

Well didja see them in SMB1 or SMB2J?

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
"King hat"? Seriously, Keith?

Santa with Muscles starring Hulk Hogan is a terrible movie, but it's probably one of my favorite names/premises for a terrible movie.

I finally got around to watching that burlesque video. It wasn't quite as bad as I expected, but thanks to the giant felt mustaches, I'll never be able to look at Kyle's current avatar the same way.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Currawong posted:

"King hat"? Seriously, Keith?

He's just a fan of Paul F. Tompkins.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

Yes they were, and you mean Pokeys, the most adorable cacti in existence.

Also that whole story about this guy called VladsDad is a legitimately cool story bro, that is fantastic :allears:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 6, 2013

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

FinalGamer posted:

Yes they were, and you mean Pokeys, the most adorable cacti in existence.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Eulisker posted:

Even the first one does. The teacher kill is completely over the top and the movie knows it.

E: thinking about it the rest is also completely bonkers. I will never believe this movie taking itself serious.

The teacher kill is a game of mouse trap. That's not serious at all!

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

VE stands for Vegetable Enema, which is what Mario gets if he misses a catch while standing over those pipes.

I was hoping the solution would be "Vegetable Evasion" :v:

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

DAUGH GOD IM SO SORRY :stonk:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So which game's final boss do you think is harder? Sonic 2 or Mario 2?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Thank you for playing through the whole game, even if you inexplicably don't like it that much. I have always loved it, personally.

The Wart fight was agonizing; my five year old self would be laughing at you pretty hard. :shobon:

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
In response to Yakov Smirnoff, I believe the town you're thinking of is Branson, MO. In addition to over the top patriotism, his show has linen napkins and real silverware. It's like Vegas if it was run by Ned Flanders,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Xie13siQc

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Tunicate posted:

So which game's final boss do you think is harder? Sonic 2 or Mario 2?

If you know the pattern, robo-robotnik isn't that much tougher than any other bosses in the game. Wart just takes SOOO long to beat sometimes on the other hand, thanks to the game's ONLY RNG factor(y).

In regards to Yakov Smirnov, yeah he works in Branson. There was an episode of King of the Hill where the guys made a band and decided to try their luck there. Bobby tagged along to meet Smirnov, and sold his first joke to him, a legit funny Soviet Russia joke:

"What a country! In America, you put pictures of your presidents on your money. In Soviet Russia, we have no money!"

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
I kept yelling at the screen for you to just loving jump behind Wart and throw the vegetables in then.

You are just SO BAD at this game.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

kalonZombie posted:

I kept yelling at the screen for you to just loving jump behind Wart and throw the vegetables in then.

You are just SO BAD at this game.

With Mario that might be a little difficult, it's easiest to use that strategy if using Peach.

Drakli
Jan 28, 2004
Goblin-Friend
Frankly, I think the whole thing would have gone easier if they'd explored the castle a bit more and found those two heart mushrooms, personally. Wart's tough on two hp. But maybe we're being unforgiving.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eulisker posted:

Yeah, Final Destination has never taken itself seriously and rules for it - the first one plays everything the straightest and it had this happen, for god's sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jt2f-Zpe80

Kyle, you nailed it re: Tokyo Drift.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Power of Pecota posted:

Yeah, Final Destination has never taken itself seriously and rules for it - the first one plays everything the straightest and it had this happen, for god's sake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jt2f-Zpe80

Kyle, you nailed it re: Tokyo Drift.
Is this a bad time to mention that I am loving terrified of the Final Destination series? :( and yes, even my friends mock me for this.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

FinalGamer posted:

Is this a bad time to mention that I am loving terrified of the Final Destination series? :( and yes, even my friends mock me for this.

There were some super cringey deaths in the most recent one so I see where you're coming from.

dudermcbrohan fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 6, 2013

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.

FinalGamer posted:

I don't blame you. The series is kind of gory, and can get really tense at times, even if it isn't taking itself 100% seriously constantly. Oh god the gymnastics scene in 5...

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

JetGrind posted:

I don't blame you. The series is kind of gory, and can get really tense at times, even if it isn't taking itself 100% seriously constantly. Oh god the gymnastics scene in 5...
Oh christ :cripes: the trailers alone freaked me out, but the one that actually LEGITIMATELY made me terrified to the point of paranoid was the airbag scene in 2. Thanks for having me watch the "thrillogy" with you in one night, mom and dad.

Though I will say, even I think the third one was loving stupid. The tanning salon was actually kinda hilarious near the end.

ANYWAYS BACK ON TRACK are we straight off to SMB3 or is there some hidden masterpiece somewhere in the middle we have yet to find out? I know there's one certain educational game in the near-future you guys HAVE to play. And I demand every version of it be played, or else. :colbert:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I can't wait to see SMB3, because a lot of us who are a bit older than K&K here have probably forgotten how hard parts of that game are because we've played it so much. It's going to be so :shobon: watching them hit those walls. Plus who doesn't love that game.

Ultimetalhead
Jun 6, 2013
Finally had to register an account so I can express my support and gratitude for this project. I'm still working my way through the Sonic videos, but these have made for lovely diversions for when I can't stand watching cringe-worthy dialogue and a million lovely characters who have no place in the universe. Anyway, I do wish the upload schedule was more consistent/bountiful. I understand these are super long videos, but it would be nice to have a new one every other day. At this rate, it'll be at least a year before we get into the 3D games, which I think will be the major meat/highlights of this series.

On SMB2, the last few videos up to the Wart fight were quite entertaining and enjoyable. The series becomes much more fun to watch when you guys do well at the games rather than continually getting rear end-raped.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

After the bullshitfun of the Crab and Wart bosses, here's some dated but silly catharsis for those jerks.

Also, some commemorative art for all of Kyle's easily-avoided deaths that happen anyway.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zeikier posted:

After the bullshitfun of the Crab and Wart bosses, here's some dated but silly catharsis for those jerks.

Actually just watch the whole of RotMK, it's really well done and pretty much every character is a huge badass. Especially the Yoshis. God drat. A bit :nws: owing to Wart's big hairy arse that Randy Solem (RIP) made sure to get as much mileage out of as possible.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

Ultimetalhead posted:

. Anyway, I do wish the upload schedule was more consistent/bountiful. I understand these are super long videos, but it would be nice to have a new one every other day.

I don't know if this is played for irony or not. In the Sonic thread people were telling them to slowdown

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

JetGrind posted:

The worst (as in, most uncomfortable) for me was the sunbed scene in 3(?).

You'll never get in a sunbed again.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

There's so many video series and LPs on Kyle and Keith's plate that I'm surprised they find the time to have day jobs or school. Asking for a video every other day would be impossible without marathons of footage filmed and edited beforehand and then trickled out. Or if the videos were shorter. Hell, I'm impressed when an LPer is able to release high-quality content weekly. There's dozens of LPs to follow on SA alone, not to mention hundreds of poorly-put-together affairs on youtube, so if I had to choose between quality and quantity, I'd choose quality.

It just so happens that RunBanter has a quality all its own. And in the interests of gathering more material, I wholly support Kyle's initiative to have Keith research the Fast and Furious series in its entirety. Especially if he hates it.

(Kyle and Keith never watch other LPs, which is a shame because, say, Chip Cheezum's stuff is consistently entertaining.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

FinalGamer posted:

The concept is pretty creepy to be honest because the protagonists never win.

• Locked thread