Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

E the Shaggy posted:

The trailer for Insidious 2 is up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbi4NeebAk

I LOVED the first one (Yes, even the Further stuff) and can't wait for this one.

What is that robot they have?

Trailer makes it look like the typical formula sequel, but I'll still see it for the robot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hahahaha, I can't believe the line "HOW CAN THIS loving THING HAPPEN TO THE SAME FAMILY TWICE?!" wasn't uttered during this. :ughh:

The first one was so cool. It should have been a one-off.

Though I did really like how Tiny Tim was played in this just like it was in the first movie.

Who am I kidding, though? I'll see it anyway. Even if it doesn't look like it's doing anything different from the first one.

I don't really see how the "I can't believe this is happening to the same people again" sequel criticism really applies. It's still happening because it never actually stopped and the ending of the first left it wise open for this to continue to happen. If anything they're backing away from the ending a little bit.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

axleblaze posted:

I don't really see how the "I can't believe this is happening to the same people again" sequel criticism really applies. It's still happening because it never actually stopped and the ending of the first left it wise open for this to continue to happen. If anything they're backing away from the ending a little bit.

From the trailer, it seems like The Creepy old woman and the dad both made it back to his body, so he'll be fighting for control/she'll be haunting the gently caress out of them.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

What is that robot they have?

Looks like one of those baby seat rolling walker things being moved by a ghost.

Like this:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

I guess. I just thought the first one was awesome and worked really well as an original standalone movie. It seemed like a nice surprise in an era when lots of other horror movies rely on cheap scares, are repeats of concepts that have been around for a while, or get mediocre sequels that seem to lessen the impact of the first one. When I saw that link, I was pretty excited because I thought the neat concepts from the first could be applied in some totally different situation and used differently and it could actually be unique and interesting like the first. But instead it just looks to be another mediocre horror sequel.

The trailer mostly reminded me of the Paranormal Activity movies, and not in a good way. In the "oh fantastic, this again" way.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I've only seen a 2 and a half minute long trailer, after all. But Insidious is one of the few horror films I've enjoyed the most in the past few years, and this looks like the same thing over again, instead of using the name to do something cool.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I guess. I just thought the first one was awesome and worked really well as an original standalone movie. It seemed like a nice surprise in an era when lots of other horror movies rely on cheap scares, are repeats of concepts that have been around for a while, or get mediocre sequels that seem to lessen the impact of the first one. When I saw that link, I was pretty excited because I thought the neat concepts from the first could be applied in some totally different situation and used differently and it could actually be unique and interesting like the first. But instead it just looks to be another mediocre horror sequel.

The trailer mostly reminded me of the Paranormal Activity movies, and not in a good way. In the "oh fantastic, this again" way.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. I've only seen a 2 and a half minute long trailer, after all. But Insidious is one of the few horror films I've enjoyed the most in the past few years, and this looks like the same thing over again, instead of using the name to do something cool.

I agree with most of this. I agree that the trailer doesn't really convince me that this movie is necessary or that it's doing anything interesting. It's just in your original post you seemed to say that you felt it was contrived that the family would find itself in basically the same situation and I'm just saying that there's really nothing contrived about it.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
It looks to me that it's not happening again, but that this movie fills in some of what happened before and after the first one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah, that makes sense. It seems lame continuing the events from the end of the first one, though. Like the first one was wrapped up nicely and I didn't find myself wanting or needing a sequel. This movie is essentially based on the idea that I'm wrong about that.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

axleblaze posted:

The way they backed away from the ending is part of why it looks like a retread. Really seems to be divided up the same way: family happy, strange things happening, call in experts, crossover to the other side with equivalent scares in all the right places.

The first one played with expectations and subverted cliches, so hopefully the trailer is just deceptive. Otherwise it would have been a lot more interesting starting the movie with the father fully possessed and no going back

MrGreenShirt posted:

Looks like one of those baby seat rolling walker things being moved by a ghost.

Like this:

Thanks. All the blinking lights made me think those automatically move on their own. Like a roomba you put your baby in.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Thanks. All the blinking lights made me think those automatically move on their own. Like a roomba you put your baby in.

I thought it was a robot too at first. When I realized what it actually was it was pretty disappointing. Also, there are seriously two horror movies directed by James Waan and starring Patrick Wilson coming out within two months of each other? Was The Conjuring sitting on the shelf for a little while?

About to watch The Blob(1988). Am I wasting my time? I've never seen it or heard anything about it. All I know is it exists.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Kevar posted:

About to watch The Blob(1988). Am I wasting my time? I've never seen it or heard anything about it. All I know is it exists.

No, The Blob remake was awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Kevar posted:

Clearly you haven't been reading this thread much because I talk it up all the time. Blob '88 loving ooooooooowns.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Blob remake is awesome.

Speaking of awesome movie, V/H/S/2 is now available on demand.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Blob was great, they do a good job of making it sticky, slimy, goopy, liquidy, bulbous, acidic, bubbly, and Gak-like, all at the same time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

flashy_mcflash posted:

The sexual assault scene is absolutely the catalyst for her change in character and is necessary to drive an extremely talented surgeon out of the medical profession and into the underground trade where she ends up. Without that, there's no reason at all why she would've thrown away a lucrative career as a surgeon in favour of doing body mods. I very much disagree that she is a 'monster' prior to the assault as well - she's a broke college student who is desperate, and I think that comes off pretty well.

I agree though, the romantic subplot is kind of shoehorned into the third act, but it was of so little consequence that it was easily ignored.

What did you think of the visual style and the musical choices? I found those both took the movie right out of 'uninspired' territory.

I found most of the film visually uninspiring and the dialogue horrific along with the music. To steal a line from The Onion " This movie is the horror movie everyone wants to see in 1998". It's just my opinion though I could see how some people would like it.

As for her motivations The first time she does it for 5000 dollars the second time they offer her 12,000 dollars to commit basically genital mutilation, she claims about helping people or whatever but she isn't trying to be a surgeon to "help" people I mean hell the scene where she tells the family the fathers dead etc.. she's just loving cold and methodical. She's driven by perfection and egoism not some sense of doing good. Of course she turns into a psychokiller after the rape, she was already psycho before. She has no empathy towards people other Nana, and doesn't seem to have any friends. She had 5000 dollars, she was just greedy she could have just gotten a non I'm not going to genitally mutilate people job. Why did she need that 10,000 dollars? She already had 5000. Cause its a lot of money and she was greedy and wanted to see if she could do it that's why. Look at the way she treats the Betty Boop character with absolute disgust, the person who gave her a job that paid her 12,000 dollars. It's just uninspired revenge rape horror. Even her approach is fetishistic , I mean she starts wearing a black gown? Whaaaat? There's multiple people that are in the movie that have nothing to do with anything. She just kills a security guard who just shows the gently caress up. What? She didn't check to think "Hey maybe this place I'm keeping this guy has people here that could find him", then the cop shows up and "investigates" something? I mean the cop serves no purpose remove every scene with the cop and it serves no purpose at all. I mean even the method that she uses to kill her rapists, has been done before that exact thing has been done before so even that wasn't original.

Visually it looked like every other horror movie in the last ten years, off lighting, dark grungy, it basically just lifted all of 8mm cinematography and Seven. We've seen that before, many times. The music, I am sure there is music in the film I didn't notice it at all. Generally there's something there to take away something but it was just this heavy metalish music. The acting is terrible and yes the film has a hot female protagonist who does disgusting things but they force sympathy on you with a frankly kind of ridiculous scenario, Why have a party? Why have ALL OF THE SURGEONS BE EVIL! Like seriously, the plot is there is a group of super intelligent rapists surgeons. Why not just that one guy take her out for drinks and takes advantage. Because they want you to sympathise with the character how? By having bad poo poo happen to her

I just really didn't like it at all. I can see how some would but didn't find it appealing. I mean I thought Excision was ten thousand times better than this with a very sympathetic lead etc and better gore. If I'm going to watch a rape/revenge you better give me some quality gore.

Fixing to watch Stoker, super looking forward to it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 6, 2013

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Clearly you haven't been reading this thread much because I talk it up all the time. Blob '88 loving ooooooooowns.

I'm only a half hour in but it definitely owns so far. I neglected this thread for a little too long and ended up skimming dozens of pages. My eyes kind of gaze over with all the found footage stuff. Although...

axleblaze posted:

Speaking of awesome movie, V/H/S/2 is now available on demand.

I was wondering if this was going to go up at midnight. I actually planned on watching it, but my girlfriend fell asleep. Movies don't usually "scare" me, but I know for a fact that if I watch the alien abduction segment alone I'm going to turn into a giant panic attack having baby.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah I'm planning to watch V/H/S 2 tomorrow (well actually it's today now, isn't it?) with the girlfriend with all the lights off :getin:

The first one was pretty terrifying so honestly I'm just hoping for more of the same out of this one.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
V/H/S/2 rules, but it's also very different than the first, which is also probably why it seems to be getting much more positive reviews. It's less creepy and unclean and more over the top and crowd pleasing. It's still an awesome god damned movie though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

axleblaze posted:

It's less creepy and unclean and more over the top and crowd pleasing.

I can't tell if I'm disappointed by this or excited. It's still creepy though, right? Even though it's less creepy than #1?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I can't tell if I'm disappointed by this or excited. It's still creepy though, right? Even though it's less creepy than #1?

A little but it's more "AAAAAAAH HOLY poo poo WHAT IS HAPPENING DID THAT JUST HAPPEN AAAAAAH" then it is creepy. The movie's more intense than anything else.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I found that to be the case in the first one, so if it's more of that, then awesome! :D

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I wish the movie playing at the theater in The Blob was a real movie (Power Tool Massacre? I think that's what the marquee said) because the line "Wait a minute...hockey season ended months ago!" is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Kevar posted:

I wish the movie playing at the theater in The Blob was a real movie (Power Tool Massacre? I think that's what the marquee said) because the line "Wait a minute...hockey season ended months ago!" is one of the best things I've ever heard.

Most of the one-liners in The Blob are fantastic.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I just wanted to point out that Insidious 2 is a self-described ghost murder mystery with time travel. It also features footage that takes place before the first film, at the same time as the first film, and (as you would expect) after the first one.

Also, a large part of the film doesn't take place in any sort of house.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I guess that's kind of a step in the right direction? Still seems like a totally unnecessary sequel, though.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
Someone said earlier that it made money so of course it's getting a sequel. But I mean, it made almost 100x it's budget. They'd be crazy not to make another one.

I would agree that it seems pointless from a narrative stand point, but then I see the words "murder mystery" and "time travel" so close together and my opinion quickly changes to "gently caress it, I'm in"

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Kevar posted:

Someone said earlier that it made money so of course it's getting a sequel. But I mean, it made almost 100x it's budget. They'd be crazy not to make another one.

I would agree that it seems pointless from a narrative stand point, but then I see the words "murder mystery" and "time travel" so close together and my opinion quickly changes to "gently caress it, I'm in"

Insidious was actually the most profitable movie the year it came out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

timeandtide posted:

I just wanted to point out that Insidious 2 is a self-described ghost murder mystery with time travel. It also features footage that takes place before the first film, at the same time as the first film, and (as you would expect) after the first one.

Also, a large part of the film doesn't take place in any sort of house.

Oh hell yes. Alright, I'm through the roof now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Jump on it, man! It's basically a sequel, and places disproportionate focus on the themes of the book over the monster smashing action.

Avoid the mildly spoiley trailer, if possible.

Oh poo poo, this was great. Kind of reminds me of a cross between The Man From Earth and my recent favorite, Grave Encounters 2. The only thing I didn't like was, well, The Monster just wasn't hulking enough. At this point though, I'm kind of used to FF movies spoiling the drat last shot right in the trailer so I just shrug my shoulders at that.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
So what's the scariest alien movie ever made? Only the specific stereotypical humanoid aliens scare me, where as I can watch monster movies just fine. This is my phobia but I'm trying to beat it by watching the worst of the worst. Aliens mixed with uncanny valley effect of abductees make me poo poo my pants.

I've seen Fire in the Sky, Communion (I couldn't finish the book, it creeped me out more than the movie), The Fourth Kind, Close Encounters, all the Alien movies & Signs.

So far I've got Dark Skies next on my list,

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SBJ posted:

So what's the scariest alien movie ever made? Only the specific stereotypical humanoid aliens scare me, where as I can watch monster movies just fine. This is my phobia but I'm trying to beat it by watching the worst of the worst. Aliens mixed with uncanny valley effect of abductees make me poo poo my pants.

I've seen Fire in the Sky, Communion (I couldn't finish the book, it creeped me out more than the movie), The Fourth Kind, Close Encounters, all the Alien movies & Signs.

So far I've got Dark Skies next on my list,

Everyone's always talking up Incident and Lake County/The McPherson Tapes around here. I didn't find it particularly impressive, but evidence suggests that if grey aliens are a trigger, this movie will freak the poo poo out of you.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fire in the Sky has still got the scariest abduction scene for my money.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Fire in the Sky has still got the scariest abduction scene for my money.

Yeah, I'm not one of those people who finds greys scary on their own, but that scene is legitimately all kinds of horrifying. I don't even remember the rest of the movie, though.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I saw Fire in the Sky when I was 8 years old which I'm pretty drat sure is the reason I'm terrified of aliens. That being said, I viewed it again recently, and while it was still horrifying (jesus that abduction scene), the appearance of the aliens itself didn't affect me too much as they didn't have that "alien look" (like in Communion or....Paul...)

Everyone's always talking up Incident and Lake County/The McPherson Tapes around here. I didn't find it particularly impressive, but evidence suggests that if grey aliens are a trigger, this movie will freak the poo poo out of you.

I didn't know what this was until I looked it up, turns out I have seen it, and it did scare the crap out of me near the end. That being said I felt like as a movie it wasn't very good and it dragged on too much.

I also like movies relating to aliens as well, like The Forgotten or Mothman Prophecies. I think the latter is an excellent movie and it has some interesting concepts presented during the meeting with the author scene.

SBJ fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 6, 2013

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I really need to see the Mothman Prophecies. I find cryptozoology poo poo like that fascinating and my sister still swears it's the scariest movie she's ever seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fire in the Sky is blatantly about a guy struggling to come to terms with the fact that he's been raped, but they fail somewhat to adequately convey how he's coping.

saulwright
Jan 12, 2005
So I wrote up a few thoughts about V/H/S 2 over in its specific thread, but doing so made me realize just how much I enjoyed Safe Haven the Gareth Evans / Timo Tjahjanto short about a film crew trying to access an Indonesian cult compound. I highly recommend checking out V/H/S 2 just for that short alone, but I'm also wondering what other horror films exist that focus on cults or secret societies. Here is a short list of things that I've seen:

The Wicker Man (original and remake)
Kill List
Red State
Rosemary's Baby
Suspiria
Lords of Salem
Dagon
The Washingtonians (Masters of Horror)
The Master (the Paul Anderson flick- not horror, but somewhat relevant)

Now some of those aren't necessarily about exotic cults per se (but rather Satanists, witches, Christians, for example), but I thought I'd include them anyway because I was having trouble thinking of examples that don't use imagery from western religion. Any suggestions?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Lord of Illusions.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

Lord of Illusions.

I was wracking my brain for suggestions and somehow forgot this one. Good motherfucking call (but make sure you go with the director's cut - it's way better and includes way more of the cult stuff).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yeah, I'm not one of those people who finds greys scary on their own, but that scene is legitimately all kinds of horrifying. I don't even remember the rest of the movie, though.

The only thing in Fire in the Sky worth remembering is that one scene.