Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Honestly I'm just sort of glad that pants didn't go the way of tanks - at least they're in the game.

Honestly at this point, I think it would be better for the devs to not add tanks to RS. Transports maybe thought about but the problem with RO2/RS is that the engine cannot handle big enough maps where having tank would really be a factor while not removing entirely the importance of the infantry. Simply put UDK is just not the engine that should have been selected to make a fps/tank game because it was not designed for big outdoor environments.

Also the whole tank mechanism is a trainwreck that needs a lot of work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I finally maxed out my Arisaka type 99 rifle. I recommend it as a medium distance weapon, it is very quick to shoulder and cycles the bolt real fast. However the stopping power seems to degrade alot over distance.(not sure about this tho) But its quick and nimble handling is perfect for maps like Saipan and Hanto were alot of the action is upclose or on medium distances.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 6, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

GyverMac posted:

I finally maxed out my Arisaka type 99 rifle. I recommend it as a medium distance weapon, it is very quick to shoulder and cycles the bolt real fast. However the stopping power seems to degrade alot over distance.(not sure about this tho) But its quick and nimble handling is perfect for maps like Saipan and Hanto were alot of the action is upclose or on medium distances.

It supposedly has more stopping power, too. I'm at 50 on the Type 99 and close to 50 on the Type 38, and I think I prefer the Type 38 because of the sights... plus it's almost perfectly accurate.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I have a love hate relationship with this game. The game play over all is fun, but there are just tiny things that annoy me.

-I never knew how much I check the kill messages until I found my self REALLY annoyed that there was a lag to the thing.
-I wish there was an option to turn blacking out off, yes yes, war is hell blah blah, the novelty of it by the eighth or so time has warn off and all it does is irrationally annoy me.
-Grenades feel like they have a REALLY small kill radius. Shouldn't these things be throwing shrapnel every where?
-The community is full of dumbs who want to play Iwo. That map is horrible for both sides, it's a mindless duck hunt for the Japanese, and its run forward and die for the Americans. Reminds me of Omaha in [insert every WW2 game to ever have Omaha as a map].
-I feel there's something wrong with the sniper rifles, I can't place my thumb on it. I know how to use the sights, I know about bullet drop, I know about leading targets. I just can't hit anything with a gently caress.

v:shobon:v

Oh well fun game though. I feel like I'll get more mileage out of this game then RO2 which I didn't much play beyond two weeks in.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

KildarX posted:

-Grenades feel like they have a REALLY small kill radius. Shouldn't these things be throwing shrapnel every where?

Yes. The shrapnel fly everywhere but there is only so much of it. It can kill someone from a dostance of 100 meters and leave the dude from four meters alive. I haven't had issues with the grenades, the seem to be pretty much on the spot in their destructiveness.

Grenades are good for clearing a spot, not eradicating fields or entire squads. The explosion is small.

The killing power is the blast wave and the shrapnel and after 3 meters or so, not much killing power is left in the wave.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KildarX posted:

In RO1 they had a ~15 meter radius kil-zone. They were nerfed to hell. I'd like for a bit more stopping power though, grenades are useless other than mines nowadays.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

I don't know, I get a lot of kills with grenades. I make sure to cook them as long as possible and get them both out every life.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Grenades are great for the purposeful team kill. "Oh geez, I'm sorry you walked right where I threw my grenade."

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

jb7 posted:

Grenades are great for the purposeful team kill. "Oh geez, I'm sorry you walked right where I threw my grenade."

Agreed. Too bad "realism" doesn't include booby-trap grenades, because I sure would be planting them wherever I spawn.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

SERPUS posted:

Agreed. Too bad "realism" doesn't include booby-trap grenades, because I sure would be planting them wherever I spawn.

Why aren't booby trap grenades in Realism?

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

edit for nvm

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 7, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I mean for them to explode on teammates. Not sure why everything else in the game causes friendly fire and these don't.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Because good players would be banned from every server because pubbies would eat them raw.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

If you really want to kill teammmates with traps, put your traps close enough together behind your teammates on the frontline, so that any explosives would trigger both. I'd like to see an entire trench lined with traps, triggered in a chain reaction. Is that even possible? The guy to set it off would get instantly kicked. :laugh:

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
I once somehow shot a trap set with a bolt action rifle from about 80m away with the type 99 bolt action. Set it off and killed a teammate. He was just as confused as I was about how I made that shot, when I wasn't even trying to.

theDOWmustflow
Mar 24, 2009

lmao pwnd gg~
Does RS have the same problem as RO2 which is that everyone and their mother gets an automatic rifle?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The United States Military was without a frontline issue single-shot firearm from 1936 september onwards, leaving only marine units excluded. They got universal issue on late 1942. After 1943 summer the las remaining support units who could see a glimpse of combat became equipped with semi-automatic weapons.

So everyone on the american side, not counting one map, gets something that goes bang bang bang bang bang. Exception being the sniper.
In reality, you can add some rare commandos and rifle-grenade users to that group. Before someone comes with a photo of late war infantry with springfields, I say that in some units veteran soldiers could elect to use the springfield. Rare and not encouraged.

On the jap side, most use bolt-actions. Assault infantry and leaders get SMG's. Machinegunners get a machinegun.

Even though jap smg's aren't plenty, there is still too many of them. 20,000 were made for an army of six million.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 7, 2013

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

Vahakyla posted:

Even though jap smg's aren't plenty, there is still too many of them. 20,000 were made for an army of six million.

Why was that, anyway? It's not like SMGs were a new idea, and they had a well developed arms industry.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The japanese were ill-prepared for actual war. Steamrolling indigenous people, rolling over China and achieving victory over reserve garrisons and their initial successes in the pacific led some people to believe that Japanese Army had world-class capability. They simply had not faced a "real" adversary.

In actuality they clung to old tradition and discouraged adaptability. Ever since the Americans entered the war, the japanese Army was suffering horrendous losses and getting its rear end handed to it everewhere. Even Soviets gave them a ride of their lives in the end.

Most Japanese units in their entirety were armed with Arisakas. Both the rifle and the cartridge weren't good performers and the infantry tactics also were lagging behind.

The arms manufacturing was certainly not on course with the modern times. Nambu 100 was a slack-rear end copy of Bergmann mp18 which sole qualifying factor was "it shoots a lot of bullets, unlike most of our guns". Except it did not even shoot real bullets, but a failed japanese design for a pistol cartridge.

The type 100 entered service, it was already 1942 (M1 carbine, mg42, stg43, svt40, m1 garand, sten and million other succesful firearms that had entered testing or issuing before this) and yet its manufacturing sacrificed other aspects of design to accomodate bayonet lugs and functionality. That pretty much sums the core thought.

While many rifles and some smgs were designed for bayonets, most of them had been concepted almost fifty years earlier. Yet, the japanese resisted change. Arisaka 99 was a bolt-action rifle based on G98. A bolt action rifle. That was designed in 1898. Arisaka 99, with this inspiration, came off the planning table in 1939. And it was the japanese goal of arming every unit with it before the end of the war.

For comparison, russians desired every unit to be armed with ppsh's and svt automatica, and americans already had the M1 Carbine and Garand for universal use. Germans were planning StG43 and G43, including other designs, to replace bolt actions.

This was evident in their armor design, too. A m4 sherman, a mediocre tank in the western front, was better than any japanese production tank.
Overal, this trend was shown in pretty much everything the Army did, as well as infantry gear and firearms. They were systematically behind on all innovation. And partly on purpose.

Everything the enemy could manufacture was always better and there would always be more of them, too. Not really winning math.

Some major opponents of the japanese hivemind and blindness to the world around them include Admiral Yamamoto himself, trying to inform people around him of the inevitable defeat of the tradition. Dude used to live and study in the States, as well as taking part of all the hit navy poo poo americans did around the thirties.

While certainly there were people in charge who recognized these faults, like Yamamoto, generally it was not thought that modern firearms and tactics, combined with good equipment, would win the war. Honor, tradition and fanaticism would. The spirit of gyokusai ("glorious death") saw them order suicidal attacks with bayonets, when supplies of hand grenades and ammunition were still available.

As proven, just like during the Boshin War, the japanese can't ignore the world around them.

Their navy, largely because of Yamamoto, had many revolutionary designs and ideas that proved effective, though. Their modern cruisers were butt-awesome.

And the IJA had some moments of glory between 1915 and 1930.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 7, 2013

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Yeah, I think Vahakyla has it pretty much right: Japan blinded itself to the limitations of inferior ground forces. However, they were surely aware of the desperate situation should their bedfellows in Europe fall. The early war air superiority of the Zero suggests the Japanese command may have banked heavily on their air force remaining 1 step ahead (it didn't last), and by expecting the United States, in Japan's worst case scenario, to find itself bogged down between Japanese naval tactics/home turf advantage in the south pacific, while entanglement in the European theater absorbed US industry to capacity. Don't get me wrong, air superiority was important in every theater, but the US saw this just as clearly as Japan, and moved quickly to counter.

The Axis, during aggression, didn't develop a strategy around the need to strike directly at the US mainland (other than with Fu-Go fire balloons, lol & RIP to all those children and the pregnant woman who died :911:) and instead opted to continue submarine warfare tactics off the US coast. Only when the tides finally turned against Japan+Germany did they begin serious development on long range bombers along the lines of the B-29 superfortress, which the US unleashed in 1944 after rushing the project into development immediately following Pearl Harbor. It's worth it to note how a German U-Boat managed to deliver an Argus pulse jet to Japan in 1944, and German R&D continued working alongside their Japanese counterparts to develop jet aircraft, up to the final hours of the war. The Japanese prototypes flew only a handful of times. By that point, air superiority was long gone and Japan watched as US bombers flew nearly unopposed across the ocean!

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 7, 2013

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

theDOWmustflow posted:

Does RS have the same problem as RO2 which is that everyone and their mother gets an automatic rifle?

Actually no, most people get bolt actions. At least on the Japanese side. The American side gets more autos and semi-autos as a general focus on firepower and the Japanese balance that by having banzai and other sneaky things, despite having less firepower.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Well I went ahead and picked this up after playing around with the rifleman demo. I've had a blast with it so far; is there a steam group, regular server or mumble channel out there where we can get some goon games together?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I don't *think* we have one for RS specifically besides the general group for all of Steam.

I can set one up when I get home tonight if desired. Just would need to know who wants in and suggestions for a name.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I finally got into a well organized game and it's a totally better experience. I'd enjoy doing more of that.

Also I'm loving the Japanese grenade projector. But it doesn't earn upgrades?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

moths posted:

I finally got into a well organized game and it's a totally better experience. I'd enjoy doing more of that.

Also I'm loving the Japanese grenade projector. But it doesn't earn upgrades?

If I remember correctly it does get stat increases (+1% to reload speed, etc) which are hardly noticeable. But no bayonet on your knee mortar.

I swear. The Japanese would put bayonets on their tanks if they could.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Huh, that sucks. You'd expect someone in the chain to notice you're great at mortars and slip you some extra shells.

Or, yeah, a mortar bayonet.

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen

Vahakyla posted:

The spirit of gyokusai ("glorious death") saw them order suicidal attacks with bayonets, when supplies of hand grenades and ammunition were still available.

RS simulates this very well with the armchair commanders demanding banzai charges constantly over voice. It's nice enough in some situations, but you really shouldn't charge 24/7, especially on defense.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ray posted:

RS simulates this very well with the armchair commanders demanding banzai charges constantly over voice. It's nice enough in some situations, but you really shouldn't charge 24/7, especially on defense.

I haven't encountered many (if any) commanders that are actually trying who do this. Usually it's just "banzai" in lieu of "rush" after a close artillery strike or during one behind the cap.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I don't *think* we have one for RS specifically besides the general group for all of Steam.

I can set one up when I get home tonight if desired. Just would need to know who wants in and suggestions for a name.

Is there someone we have to ask to set up a Camping the Stairs channel on Mumble?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Is this great jolly good fun? PCgamer gave it a good review and I'm contemplating picking it up.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Zotix posted:

Is this great jolly good fun? PCgamer gave it a good review and I'm contemplating picking it up.

Well, depends on what you mean with "Great jolly good fun".

In short; if you liked RO 1 or RO 2, then you will most definately like Rising Storm. Go buy it now. Its dirt cheap on steam, and you can play a limited FREE version (rifleman class only) if you already have RO2 on steam.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Rhandhali posted:

Is there someone we have to ask to set up a Camping the Stairs channel on Mumble?

That's what I was asking, do we want to make our own RS-only group or just roll in with the RO2 ones?

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Zotix posted:

If you liked RO:Ostfront or DH you will probably like this. If you hated RO2 you may like this better.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's what I was asking, do we want to make our own RS-only group or just roll in with the RO2 ones?

I'd say start a new one. RO2 seems to have a pretty bad rep.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonswhoplayrisingstorm

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 7, 2013

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Oh gently caress me, I accidentally left the group and now StuntCock is the admin. If you're reading this poo poo please re-add me.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
If you guys would need a place to communicate, I have a TeamSpeak 3 server that rarely gets any significant use.

Because I am holy as hell, if you just need, you can abuse the poo poo out of it for RO/RS Purposes.

The Northern Breeze
209.35.119.9:10667

There is no password.

Ray
Sep 5, 2005

is een geheim voor iedereen

An Enormous Boner posted:

I haven't encountered many (if any) commanders that are actually trying who do this. Usually it's just "banzai" in lieu of "rush" after a close artillery strike or during one behind the cap.

I don't mean members of the commander class, I mean nerds saying "we really need to bouncy charge guys" apropos of nothing on the mic. The actual commander is usually begging for artillery marks.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Ray posted:

The actual commander is usually begging for artillery marks.

On this note: when playing Commander, I've had much more success with saying "can any available Squad Leaders please try to get an arty mark at [coordinates, region]" instead of "MARKS NOW RECON UP". It shows that you're playing for the team (and not just for easy kill points) and that you have an idea what you're doing. It gives cooperative SLs a place to try for. I also like to let people know that I'm trying for additional marks myself.

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It helps to say why you're doing it, briefly, to give the illusion that you have any idea what you are doing. I find that "Gather near the burning jeep on the right side and we can banzai in to take B when the last salvo hits" is far, far more effective than "Everyone wait until arty clears then banzai"

• Locked thread