Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

SourKraut posted:

But those professionals also typically always first have those files stored locally I thought, with the external storage serving more as a backup or used when needing to transport the files?

If you're editing HD or higher resolution video internal storage isn't fast enough.

I just can't see something like this flying with people who still use Mac Pros. I'm a one man in house corporate video guy and I've got ~10k in pci expansion cards and external storage, you get up to a larger post house and you're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars, and they are supposed to replace all this with Thunderbolt based stuff? I've been on the fence as to continuing to be Mac based when we upgrade the current machine, or going to a Windows based machine, and if something like this came to pass it would make the choice a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

I wonder if they were just waiting on thunderbolt 2 for the new Mac Pro. It seems like the only people who need pros now a days are people doing video production and tb2 would be useful for that.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Haggins posted:

I wonder if they were just waiting on thunderbolt 2 for the new Mac Pro. It seems like the only people who need pros now a days are people doing video production and tb2 would be useful for that.

Thunderbolt 2 is equal to PCIe 3.0 x4 or PCIe 2 x8 (Essentially) and based on this http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html comparison scaling down seems to affect performance by numbers within the margin of error

So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a semi modular system from the mac pro

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I want my crazy stupid Cube :colbert:
(...yeah I know there's no way in hell it'll end up anything like that, but that's why I figure I might as well be ridiculous with it)

SourKraut posted:

But those professionals also typically always first have those files stored locally I thought, with the external storage serving more as a backup or used when needing to transport the files?

There's also the issue that so far the use of GPUs over Thunderbolt hasn't really been something considered too viable for graphics-intensive usages given that it equates to a 4x PCIe connection. Thunderbolt 2.0 will help, but that isn't until 2014.

I'm sure Apple has something "amazing" planned for the Mac Pro, but if it goes down this line I fear they should simply focus on an "amazing" good bye tour to it...
TB2 is coming late this year actually, and I wouldn't be surprised if Apple gets it early. As far as GPUs over TB I think the main issue is that Apple doesn't support them at all. There's been demos on PCs/Windows showing that they can work and provide a performance boost, but until there's mainstream support for it (and more affordable expansion boxes*) GPU use won't go anywhere.

*There's $350 ones, not cheap but eh it's a lot less than the $1000 boxes. But they're single width and for short cards only, so they're really limiting as far as potential GPU use is concerned.

Malcolm XML posted:

Thunderbolt 2 is equal to PCIe 3.0 x4 or PCIe 2 x8 (Essentially) and based on this http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/25.html comparison scaling down seems to affect performance by numbers within the margin of error

So I wouldn't be surprised if we get a semi modular system from the mac pro
The bandwidth with TB2 is kind of confusing...I think it's the same overall actually, but more useful. From what I can tell, TB1 is two bidirectional 10Gbps channels that can carry data or a display signal, but not both simultaneously over the same channel. TB2 is a single bidirectional 20Gbps channel that can carry data and display simultaneously. I'm not sure if it was possible for TB1 stuff to bond both channels together for 20Gbps or if they were limited to a single 10Gbps channel. Whatever the case I guess TB2 makes the full bandwidth easier to harness, and I read somewhere the controllers will be a bit cheaper and use less power.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

japtor posted:

As far as GPUs over TB I think the main issue is that Apple doesn't support them at all. There's been demos on PCs/Windows showing that they can work and provide a performance boost, but until there's mainstream support for it (and more affordable expansion boxes*) GPU use won't go anywhere.

Apple doesn't support it *yet*. It's not exactly far-fetched to think that Apple could roll in support with an upcoming version of OSX- perhaps concurrent with the launch of a new Mac Pro. You couldn't make your own fusion drives until Apple introduced theirs.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Apple doesn't support it *yet*. It's not exactly far-fetched to think that Apple could roll in support with an upcoming version of OSX- perhaps concurrent with the launch of a new Mac Pro. You couldn't make your own fusion drives until Apple introduced theirs.
Right I figure (hope) they'll support it eventually, just pointing out that it's more software holding it back than hardware limitations at this point (like even if it were an x16 link it still wouldn't matter unless Apple supported it).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

japtor posted:

Right I figure (hope) they'll support it eventually, just pointing out that it's more software holding it back than hardware limitations at this point (like even if it were an x16 link it still wouldn't matter unless Apple supported it).

But wouldn't the bandwidth limitation still be present hardware-wise? With TB 2.0 you could essentially have a PCIe 2.0 8x connection, but I thought 8x already bottlenecks current high-performance cards? I know there have been reports about using an external GPU over TB yielding a performance benefit, but from what I recall that was with regard to integrated or moderate-performance doscrete notebook systems. For something like the professional-focused Mac Pro it doesn't seem as beneficial. Wouldn't a 27" iMac with the top-end GPU option potentially outperform it at that point from a graphics performance perspective?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SourKraut posted:

But wouldn't the bandwidth limitation still be present hardware-wise? With TB 2.0 you could essentially have a PCIe 2.0 8x connection, but I thought 8x already bottlenecks current high-performance cards? I know there have been reports about using an external GPU over TB yielding a performance benefit, but from what I recall that was with regard to integrated or moderate-performance doscrete notebook systems. For something like the professional-focused Mac Pro it doesn't seem as beneficial. Wouldn't a 27" iMac with the top-end GPU option potentially outperform it at that point from a graphics performance perspective?
I was about to say that I have no clue, and without another scaling comparison who knows...then a quick search later I found a newer followup comparison. Even PCIe 2.0 x4 still holds up decently actually, although in a few tests is the limiter.

Of course that's all gaming stuff. Not that I have a use for it myself, but I'm curious how compute uses would handle the slower bus, like if you stuck Tesla or Xeon Phi on x4/x8 bandwidth.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

japtor posted:

The bandwidth with TB2 is kind of confusing...I think it's the same overall actually, but more useful. From what I can tell, TB1 is two bidirectional 10Gbps channels that can carry data or a display signal, but not both simultaneously over the same channel. TB2 is a single bidirectional 20Gbps channel that can carry data and display simultaneously.

TB1 can in principle mix display and PCIe in one bidir channel. It's a packetized bus encapsulating other packetized protocols so there's no limitations other than bandwidth. It's just that the data rates made it convenient to dedicate one 10g channel to DisplayPort.

4K DisplayPort needs more than 10Gbps so TB2 bonds the two 10g lanes to make one 20g channel. And the chips will now make use of what's already in the protocol to support mixing two or more encapsulated busses in one TB channel. Kinda disappointing that it didn't actually get upgraded to two 20g channels but that's a tall order with copper media (maybe when optical media is a thing?).

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Modular GPU so you can plug a Titan into your MBA? :haw:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Speaking of the whole TB GPU thing, just saw this on Anandtech:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7040/computex-2013-thunderbolt-graphics-from-silverstone

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Is there a file or a plist or whatever I can delete to reset the trackpad behaviour? Mine is acting up, and I'm not sure if there's anything else I can do before taking it to a Fruit Stand (already reset SMC and PRAM.)

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

Is there a file or a plist or whatever I can delete to reset the trackpad behaviour?
If you have a removable battery, remove it and see if that fixes it. Otherwise, if it behaves normally in other OSs, backup and then restore using migration assistant?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Try deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.driver.AppleBluetoothMultitouch.trackpad.plist, if it exists.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The idea of a "box chain" is basically reinventing the computer. I doubt Apple is going to have a bunch of sloppy cables chaining things together, but the sort of decentralized design will fundamentally alter the PC concept. Apple's done it before, but I have a lot of skepticism here.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

DaNzA posted:

It's not like it's the CPU that's holding most games back, as ridiculous as the setup would be. I just hope that it becomes standard to have TB in/TB out on all accessories so single-port Airs can attach their 12TB disk array and 10GbE network adapter, along with their GPU.

eames
May 9, 2009

Does anybody have some insight on whether or not the new Macbook lineup will support 802.11ac? Rumors, related chipset launches, anything?

I’m pretty happy with my ~computing experience~, but my real world 802.11n WiFi throughput is roughly half of what my WAN could do.
I feel like WiFi is one last remaining bottleneck for me now that SSDs are mainstream. Of course faster is always better, but give me 1 Gbit/s actual WiFI throughput and l’d be happy for a few years…

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

While I'm waiting for WWDC to see what new products are going to be released, what are thoughts on the three different "low end" models?

• 11" Macbook Air
  • 13" Macbook Air
  • 13" Retina Macbook Pro

Here are my uses:
  • Playing small indie games on the couch (90% of usage)
  • Web surfing (when I don't want to use my iPad)
  • Taking notes at meetings for work
  • Watching videos at work during lunch break, etc.
  • iOS development (though I'm really not sure if I'll do this besides just simple experimenting, etc) (I am a software developer (.NET) for a living though...)

Because my primary goal is to play PC games on the couch (small stuff like FTL, Dwarf Fortress, Gnomoria, and strategy games like X-Com, etc), I'm not sure if Retina would be a waste of money but it sure does like pretty in the store.

The advantage of retina is much nicer text, which might cause me to stop using my iPad (a good thing since I'll only use one device), but the disadvantage is the resolution is harder on the graphics chip and you are forced to run at lower (non-native resolutions).

Then I have the decision regarding 11" and 13". I've used an 11" MBA before and it feels fantastic. It's almost an "full PC iPad" but since the display sits further away than an iPad, it's actually a bit smaller looking.

What do you guys think?

I'm really torn between all three devices but I'm leaning a tiny bit toward NON-RETINA just because of the gaming purpose and my usage of it being a "secondary machine"...

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

eames posted:

Does anybody have some insight on whether or not the new Macbook lineup will support 802.11ac? Rumors, related chipset launches, anything?
Most sites are speculating that ac will be included across the board. Apple has historically jumped on new wifi protocols early, no reason they wouldn't again. And you'll probably see a new airport as well.

Vinlaen posted:

While I'm waiting for WWDC to see what new products are going to be released, what are thoughts on the three different "low end" models?

• 11" Macbook Air
  • 13" Macbook Air
  • 13" Retina Macbook Pro

Especially if you have access to a bigger monitor, the 11" should serve you perfectly. I got a miniDP->HDMI adapter really cheap off amazon that works perfectly when I need more screen.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

What do you guys think?
I think this thread should be closed until 6/10 2:30PM EST. :chord:

Gaming is your primary goal? Mobile gaming, on Apple hardware? Your options are 15" cMBP/rMBP. You really can't "play" current games on the 11"/13" models and if you want do for more than 2 min, it's hairdryer time. Preliminary benchmarks and even slightly inflated promo images such as this one indicate you will probably be able to play today's games at low-medium settings at 720p on the next 13" rMBP but only if they've chosen to include "Iris" or a HD5000 variant if I'm not mistaken.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

kuskus posted:

Gaming is your primary goal? Mobile gaming, on Apple hardware? Your options are 15" cMBP/rMBP. You really can't "play" current games on the 11"/13" models and if you want do for more than 2 min, it's hairdryer time. Preliminary benchmarks and even slightly inflated promo images such as this one indicate you will probably be able to play today's games at low-medium settings at 720p on the next 13" rMBP but only if they've chosen to include "Iris" or a HD5000 variant if I'm not mistaken.

Do the MBP's not have an audible fan noise that kicks on after gaming for a few minutes? I haven't used one.

I know the 2012 MBA 13 starts up the fan after a few minutes of FTL, but the game is certainly playable. His list of games didn't include anything that last year's hardware couldn't easily digest, particularly at the lower resolutions of non-retina displays.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?

kuskus posted:

He's not talking about playing Skyrim on this thing, just indie-type stuff. He listed FTL and Dwarf Fortress, neither of which requires any substantial graphics hardware. He also listed XCOM which has some more demanding requirements but everything else could be played without issue on any of the models he listed.

EDIT: that said, I'd wait for a Haswell based upgrade before purchasing any of those since graphic power is so much better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I'm super hopeful for a 13- or 15-inch quad-core retina pro with iris pro graphics. I play games on the consoles, tablet, and my desktop, anything I do on my notebook is limited to indie stuff that generally doesn't need much in the way of graphics power.

I'd be happy to trade in my current 15-inch rMBP for something with better battery life but the same CPU power, even if it means GFX gets cut by a third.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vinlaen posted:

• 11" Macbook Air
  • 13" Macbook Air
  • 13" Retina Macbook Pro
I've considered the 11" since it came out, my only concern with it at this point is the vertical resolution, 768px. It just seems really short, but since I haven't had it I can't say how much of an impact it makes on actual usage. I have an iPad (and iPad mini) but for my Mac I have a 1920x1200 screen, I'm just afraid of it feeling really cramped. My dream is an 11" retina MBP so I can set it to a higher res and go blind :allears: (stuff is pretty small as is on that screen).

mediaphage posted:

I'm super hopeful for a 13- or 15-inch quad-core retina pro with iris pro graphics. I play games on the consoles, tablet, and my desktop, anything I do on my notebook is limited to indie stuff that generally doesn't need much in the way of graphics power.

I'd be happy to trade in my current 15-inch rMBP for something with better battery life but the same CPU power, even if it means GFX gets cut by a third.
I can see the 15" getting it (at least as an option), but not the 13", unless they designed that to accept higher wattage parts to begin with (or Intel is holding back on secret chips :ninja:).

The Iris Pro stuff is 47W while the 13" currently uses 35W parts I think, and there's only one "Iris" (not Iris Pro) part in that range so far, a 28W one that Intel isn't talking about much yet. Meanwhile the rest of the ~35W range only has HD 4600 (GT2), unless you go down to the ULV 15W chips (MBAs would get these) where there's a few HD 5000 models, which are GT3 like Iris, but doesn't get the branding cause it doesn't reach some arbitrary level of performance v:shobon:v.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

japtor posted:

I've considered the 11" since it came out, my only concern with it at this point is the vertical resolution, 768px. It just seems really short, but since I haven't had it I can't say how much of an impact it makes on actual usage. I have an iPad (and iPad mini) but for my Mac I have a 1920x1200 screen, I'm just afraid of it feeling really cramped.
Web/writing you should be okay. Anything where you need screen space, you'll be killing yourself, unless you don't do that on the run and can live with it being plugged into a monitor. 11/13/15 I am plugged in when I'm at my desk so it doesn't really matter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

DaNzA posted:

I wish Apple would make their own TB GPUs.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Only problem with 11 Airs are the reduced 5 hour battery life.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

japtor posted:

The Iris Pro stuff is 47W while the 13" currently uses 35W parts I think, and there's only one "Iris" (not Iris Pro) part in that range so far, a 28W one that Intel isn't talking about much yet. Meanwhile the rest of the ~35W range only has HD 4600 (GT2), unless you go down to the ULV 15W chips (MBAs would get these) where there's a few HD 5000 models, which are GT3 like Iris, but doesn't get the branding cause it doesn't reach some arbitrary level of performance v:shobon:v.

Edit - I'm dumb, the 5100 is just Iris and not Iris Pro. I could still see the i7-4558U ending up in a 13" MBP/MBPR.

Canned Sunshine fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 7, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Only problem with 11 Airs are the reduced 5 hour battery life.

Maybe just maybe Haswell will add an hour to that.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

If Firewire 800 remains on any announced hardware, I'd be amazed. If Firewire 3200 appears on any announced hardware, I'd be :smith:.

Also, if the fabled Mac Pro redesign comes out, do you think it'd be too hard for them to move the loving graphic card slot over just enough so the AT HD 5770/5870 or the soon to arrive EVGA GTX 680 card can sit without covering an otherwise perfectly good PCI x16 slot?! If goddamn Dell can do it, why can't Apple?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 7, 2013

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I learned something new today...

I'm a loving idiot who was mindlessly fiddling around with my lightning connector and stuck the non-usb end into the mini display port on my macbook pro. It resulted in a hard power off :catstare:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DaNzA posted:

Okay stupid question, but whatever happened to those external graphic chips that you do plug into your computer? Do those actually still exist? I can't find them anymore on Nvidia's website. I remember thinking they were a neat idea but would probably never take off.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe just maybe Haswell will add an hour to that.
There's also an even lower wattage part targeted at tablets...but I figure the screen consumption matters more at that point.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

I learned something new today...

I'm a loving idiot who was mindlessly fiddling around with my lightning connector and stuck the non-usb end into the mini display port on my macbook pro. It resulted in a hard power off :catstare:
Could be worse. Remember when some people stuck FireWire 400 ports in upside down? Apparently FireWire could cause actual fires.

I said come in! posted:

Okay stupid question, but whatever happened to those external graphic chips that you do plug into your computer? Do those actually still exist? I can't find them anymore on Nvidia's website. I remember thinking they were a neat idea but would probably never take off.
I know there's some smaller companies and DIYers doing stuff through ExpressCard (which is a x1 lane iirc) like they did through PCMCIA cards way back. Otherwise I vaguely recall NV and ATI things but I don't know if those are anywhere these days, and external PCIe seems like vaporware in the actual marketplace, Thunderbolt probably isn't helping the situation for that obviously.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

VIdock has some

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Reading these Haswell reviews, I am beginning to wonder if the 15-inch retina MBP will even have a discrete GPU.

Obviously that's the future path for the product, but I kind of hope they wait a generation because discrete will still be faster this year.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Siguy posted:

Reading these Haswell reviews, I am beginning to wonder if the 15-inch retina MBP will even have a discrete GPU.

Obviously that's the future path for the product, but I kind of hope they wait a generation because discrete will still be faster this year.

Would the performance in apps like photoshop suffer without it?

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0

Bob Morales posted:

This crazy in-depth look at Haswell's best on board GPU option makes it sound like it would be close to current performance but still slower.

The advantage is that using Intel's option is going to save power and space in the laptops. It'd just make me sad because I'd still like to occasionally game on a laptop without everything turned down to low.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maybe they'll use the highs end integrated to further distinguish the 13" and keep dedicated for the 15".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I guess it'd come down to whether they need the space, or can do something else with the space they gain from removing the dedicated graphics. There' always the option of upgrading the dedicated graphics to whatever is 'better' now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

It's extremely unlikely. Even pretty heavy-duty photoshop stuff rarely maxes out all of the GPU's ability.