Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

superh posted:

Now that I've broken in my N8 I'm setting my sights on an SNES cart - is the SD2SNES that much better than the Super Everdrive? What's the main benefit - better game support, faster loading and cleaner firmware?

Yes to all of those, with the major thing being the size of the games it will support. It will support gargantuan games like Star Ocean, but it will go further and support games up to 4GB in size (this is not a typo). People have already hacked CD-based games onto the SNES. One example is Chrono Trigger with the PS1 FMVs. There's also talk that the Satellaview could be brought back to life on it.

Get the SD2SNES. Please trust me on this.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Like hell, it runs at the proper speed as opposed to 2.4% too fast. Perfect for speedrunning!

Since the Super Game Boy literally had Game Boy hardware, why did it run at an improper speed? And did Nintendo really think people noticed, and that's why the Super Game Boy 2 fixed it? :psyduck:

MediumWellDone posted:

Glad it all arrived safely. Hope you liked the chicken wing chips, they're based on a local specialty.

Yeah everything was so awesome man. I sent you some freebies, but my post office has been getting CRAZY lately with shipping stuff (they ask if anything has batteries; ie: almost all retro games, and they even ask if anything has perfume :stare: ) but I tried to make it nice. Still is shameful compared to you actually going to the grocery store for me, but I hope you enjoy the stuff. One of them is related to one of the games you wanted, at least. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Anatidaephobia posted:

I think I am the new guy; I'm not right now; and someone in IRC wanted to send me a SNES surprise you are all too nice aaahhhh :3:

Yeah except you didn't tell me your address so I can't send you anything sneaky. Even if you are in Canada. You can PM me here or mail aaron.flint@gmail.com

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yes to all of those, with the major thing being the size of the games it will support. It will support gargantuan games like Star Ocean, but it will go further and support games up to 4GB in size (this is not a typo). People have already hacked CD-based games onto the SNES. One example is Chrono Trigger with the PS1 FMVs. There's also talk that the Satellaview could be brought back to life on it.

Get the SD2SNES. Please trust me on this.

A counterpoint [full disclosure: my SD2SNES is in the mail on the way to me right now]:
The SD2SNES, today, gives you support for seven more licensed games than a Super Everdrive with a DSP-1 installed:
Megaman/Rockman X2 and X3
Dungeon Master
SD Gundam GX
Top Gear 3000
Dai Kaiju Monogatari 2
F1 ROC II: Race of Champions

It does also give you the ability to play FMV/CDDA hacked games, as well as support for the hacked and ROM expanded Star Ocean translation, and the loading is much, much faster than an Everdrive or Powerpak.

It's potentially possible that it can support the 8 SuperFX games, but it is definitely harder than ikari first thought. ikari also believes the FPGA can support the SA-1 which will add another 26 games, but it's not a sure thing that it can, so don't count on either of these.

Is that worth an extra $110 to you? For me it was.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

juliuspringle posted:

If you find someone could you let me know so maybe I can work something out with them? If I find someone I'll do the same for you. Does anyone know if the Worlds of Power books are any good?

I had all of them other than the Mega Man II one when I was a kid. The best ones in my opinion were Blaster Master, Shadowgate and Bases Loaded II. They all took the basic premise of the game and made actual good stories using the worlds. The rest are either mediocre or down right awful. The Metal Gear, Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden books are particularly bland which is sad as they should have been the best.

If you have to choose one get the Bases Loaded. I am not much of a baseball fan but it is a really good book. I must have read that and the Shadowgate one a couple hundred times growing up.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Crimson Harvest posted:

And why did you include the world's most boring screenshot instead of the music?

Dude look at the beautiful sky over that composite connection though.

Also best Valis songs right here. There's a FLAC rip of Valis 3 and Mugen Senshi Valis somewhere on the net, but the guy that made it used crappy recording gear and it doesn't sound like a real Yamaha! I will have to re-do the recordings myself with my E-MUs. I'll post it here when it's done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OO86zZzsh0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqDm7JuZN_8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4nrbK9J2DM - this one makes me so :3:

gently caress will retrogate get SD2SNES back in stock :cry: are they in stock anywhere else? I refuse to give SAG any business even though they're out of stock on it too.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 8, 2013

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm having a good time trying stuff out on the N8. For variety's sake, and hearing about other peoples' experiences, what's your favorite NES game that nobody else but you likes, and in your opinion, what's the best NES game nobody else played?

For me, my favorite NES game nobody else likes is probably Fester's Quest. It's hard as balls and everything is stacked against you because it's basically crap. However, I spent a lot of time with it as a kid and learned to get good at it and enjoy running up to whatever roadblock (boss) I couldn't get past.

The best game nobody else but me even played is probably Magician. You're some lovely apprentice wizard or something, and you are basically terrible at everything. You (the player) can learn the syllables for magic spells, which you write down in your spell book, to learn the spell for casting. You get words from helping people, buying them, looting chests, wherever. There's a ton of spells. You can even attempt to just guess or experiment with syllables, but usually you'll end up with an unknown spell, which has random effects like fully healing you or turning you to ash. As a kid, the bad part about this game is that you have limited saves, like 20 total or something. I think what you're supposed to do is write down all the spells you learned, get as far as you can, die, run out of saves, and start over. You can get further this time because you don't have to expend money/health/food/effort to learn the spells you learned last time, you just put them in your book and there you have it.

EDIT: Re: the above music, is Genesis music always so full of crunchy guitar overdrive riffs, sweet synth keyboards, and punchy percussion? Cause drat that's great.

Crimson Harvest fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 8, 2013

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Demon Sword was one of my favorite games as a kid but I could never get very far. Iron Sword (I liked swords okay) was also fun but the controls were kind of poo poo. And the port of Alpha Mission is a good shooter.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Yeah everything was so awesome man. I sent you some freebies, but my post office has been getting CRAZY lately with shipping stuff (they ask if anything has batteries; ie: almost all retro games, and they even ask if anything has perfume :stare: ) but I tried to make it nice. Still is shameful compared to you actually going to the grocery store for me, but I hope you enjoy the stuff. One of them is related to one of the games you wanted, at least. :)

That's why I avoid the post office all together and just print shipping labels via paypal. Bought a $20 scale years ago, and has saved me a ton of time by not having to wait at the post office.

parasyte posted:

A counterpoint [full disclosure: my SD2SNES is in the mail on the way to me right now]:
The SD2SNES, today, gives you support for seven more licensed games than a Super Everdrive with a DSP-1 installed:
Megaman/Rockman X2 and X3
Dungeon Master
SD Gundam GX
Top Gear 3000
Dai Kaiju Monogatari 2
F1 ROC II: Race of Champions

It does also give you the ability to play FMV/CDDA hacked games, as well as support for the hacked and ROM expanded Star Ocean translation, and the loading is much, much faster than an Everdrive or Powerpak.

It's potentially possible that it can support the 8 SuperFX games, but it is definitely harder than ikari first thought. ikari also believes the FPGA can support the SA-1 which will add another 26 games, but it's not a sure thing that it can, so don't count on either of these.

Is that worth an extra $110 to you? For me it was.

Basically you're paying for the hope that eventually that the whole (or at least most) of the SNES library will be supported.

ACID POLICE posted:

gently caress will retrogate get SD2SNES back in stock :cry: are they in stock anywhere else? I refuse to give SAG any business even though they're out of stock on it too.

Not that this helps, but retrogate was just in stock less than 2 weeks ago, and I recall it went back ordered rather quickly. But it is backordered, and you can still order anyway. You will eventually get it. I originally ordered mine way back when it was backordered.

fatpat268 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jun 8, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Crimson Harvest posted:

what's your favorite NES game that nobody else but you likes

Monster Party. Everyone pans it as one of the worst games ever, but I tell myself it's because of the hilarious bosses (a literal jumbo fried shrimp). Controls are tight, and the action is packed.

Crimson Harvest posted:

what's the best NES game nobody else played?

This is interesting because there's very few "hidden gems" on the NES. That category is usually reserved for newer consoles, but I'll go ahead and reiterate Pinball Quest. The mechanics are very archaic, but it's an old pinball game; waddaya expect. It has RPG elements, and RPG mode is very fun to me. I like any time a game merges two genres that shouldn't be together.

Unrelated, I just got to try out my Arcade Duo Card and I tried Juuouki (Altered Beast) which supposedly only works on 1.0 versions of the card, according to wikipedia. 1) how did someone think making a game for such an incredibly small number of people (had to have a PC engine, and the CD attachment, and the specific revision of the Arcade Card) was a good idea? 2) Is this the only way to test that I have version 1.0?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ACID POLICE posted:

Thank the god drat lord for me packing all my PC Engine stuff separately cause looks like I gotta buy new RGB cables for SNES and Genesis 1 :doh:

Also I don't remember who the new guy is but I hope he's bidding on a C64 right now. I got a Wico Command Control if you want it new C64 guy

In other news check out me playing Genesis on my XRGB through composite in 16:9. I hope I didn't lose my remote in the move too :downs:

Just a heads up but I have both a SNES RGB & model 1 Genesis RGB w/ stereo 3.5mm plug. Both are EU pinout and the SNES has the caps built into it. I am not using either.

Edit:
For my favorite hidden NES gem it would most definitely be Dream Master. It's a mix of Zelda with RPG elements such as levels and turn based battles. There's even a good english patch out for it, definitely worth a look. HG101 has a great writeup on it and is where I found out about it - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/dreammaster/dreammaster.htm

flyboi fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 8, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Unrelated, I just got to try out my Arcade Duo Card and I tried Juuouki (Altered Beast) which supposedly only works on 1.0 versions of the card, according to wikipedia. 1) how did someone think making a game for such an incredibly small number of people (had to have a PC engine, and the CD attachment, and the specific revision of the Arcade Card) was a good idea? 2) Is this the only way to test that I have version 1.0?

You need version 1.0 of the CD-ROM card, the Arcade card is definitely not that. You can load a ROM of v1.0 using a Turbo Everdrive instead.

The 1.0 requirement wasn't intentional, it's just not a well-programmed game and the updated versions of the CD-ROM access software crash the game.

Asbrandt
Feb 16, 2011

Since the Super Game Boy literally had Game Boy hardware, why did it run at an improper speed? And did Nintendo really think people noticed, and that's why the Super Game Boy 2 fixed it? :psyduck:

If memory serves, it's because the CPU clock is provided by the SNES instead of the crystal an actual Gameboy used.
And people actually -did- notice, not because of the game speed, but because of the Sound pitch.
The SGB2 fixed this by using an actual crystal, and you can "fix" an SGB1 the same way if you have an otherwise dead brick.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

univbee posted:

You need version 1.0 of the CD-ROM card, the Arcade card is definitely not that. You can load a ROM of v1.0 using a Turbo Everdrive instead.

The 1.0 requirement wasn't intentional, it's just not a well-programmed game and the updated versions of the CD-ROM access software crash the game.

Stupid question time: why can't I just load a ROM of this Duo Arcade Card thing I bought?

Asbrandt posted:

If memory serves, it's because the CPU clock is provided by the SNES instead of the crystal an actual Gameboy used.
And people actually -did- notice, not because of the game speed, but because of the Sound pitch.
The SGB2 fixed this by using an actual crystal, and you can "fix" an SGB1 the same way if you have an otherwise dead brick.

Thank you for this! As nuts as I am, I never noticed the games running faster.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stupid question time: why can't I just load a ROM of this Duo Arcade Card thing I bought?

The Duo card actually contains extra hardware like RAM the system can use.

There are four categories of cards:

- Basic CD-ROM card. Basically software-only, tells the PC Engine how to talk to the CD-ROM unit
- Super CD-ROM card. Has extra hardware. This card is built into the Duos and is what you get when you turn the system on without a card.
- Arcade Duo card. Has extra hardware for the Arcade games, but assumes you're running a system with the Super CD-ROM hardware built-in so it doesn't replicate that hardware.
- Arcade Pro card. Has ALL the hardware in it and was more expensive than the Arcade Duo because of that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

The absolutely weirdest thing is the Famicom 3D thing. What's so weird? I ordered it with "no box theory" and guess what?

It's literally brand new :stare:

I don't mean "lightly used" or "in really good condition". It was literally never touched by human hands. Honestly the box is a 10/10 in condition. Every little piece of cardboard is in the box, everything is sealed, the cables have twist-ties that I can tell are stock. It's insane. They literally sent me a brand new one.

I am afraid to play with it, even though I have a Famicom, simply because I can offset a good chunk of the cost of all this by selling this one item on eBay. As much as I'd hate to, at least it would soften the blow to my wallet a bit. Has anyone here veer used it? Is it even remotely cool? Now that I think about it, if I ever was really ever going to use this thing, I'd want it to be brand new because I don't need some kid's pink eye or headband sweat transferring over to me.
Apparently it's compatible with 3D World Runner, although I'm not sure if it requires a special version. Looking at the prices on eBay (many with no bids actually) I'd think about keeping it and picking up some games...3DWR in particular cause I loved that game and wouldn't mind seeing it in 3D.

(...again, I remember it coming with the red and blue glasses :v:)

Code Jockey posted:

I want to get into Apple collecting. I'm not a Mac dude by far, but I love the old ones like we had in school. I want a IIGS and one of those all-in-one Macs [color or grayscale], and a PowerMac. I'm... I'm going to spend a lot of money, aren't I? I bet that poo poo's got to have a premium to it, or is there much of a fanbase of normal Mac people for the retro stuff?
If you happen to be in Southern California I could give you an old IIsi and PowerMac 8500 (with upgrades!). A Centris 650 too if I can find it. We had one of the old all in ones growing up but I remember it being put in my parents' office at one point and never seeing it again at home. I learned how to play blackjack on that thing :911:. I guess look around your area for people like me that don't care about their really old Macs (but still have them for some reason :shobon:).

I never really looked myself, but I was under the assumption that a few particular models are collector worthy while most aren't. One example, on eBay I just saw a Quadra 800 sell for $85, and PowerMac 8500 for $10 :v:. Same classic Mac tower design, but the Quadra name has more history behind it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

japtor posted:

Apparently it's compatible with 3D World Runner, although I'm not sure if it requires a special version. Looking at the prices on eBay (many with no bids actually) I'd think about keeping it and picking up some games...3DWR in particular cause I loved that game and wouldn't mind seeing it in 3D.

(...again, I remember it coming with the red and blue glasses :v:)

I also recall Rad Racer doing the red/blue thing, but surely that's not how this monstrosity operates?

And I just checked ebay; a new one sold for $150. Not sure if that's a good gauge though.

univbee posted:

The Duo card actually contains extra hardware like RAM the system can use.

There are four categories of cards:

- Basic CD-ROM card. Basically software-only, tells the PC Engine how to talk to the CD-ROM unit
- Super CD-ROM card. Has extra hardware. This card is built into the Duos and is what you get when you turn the system on without a card.
- Arcade Duo card. Has extra hardware for the Arcade games, but assumes you're running a system with the Super CD-ROM hardware built-in so it doesn't replicate that hardware.
- Arcade Pro card. Has ALL the hardware in it and was more expensive than the Arcade Duo because of that.

Thanks man. This might be the only console ever that truly confuses the crap out of me. I'm like a caveman every time I try to operate it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I also recall Rad Racer doing the red/blue thing, but surely that's not how this monstrosity operates?

And I just checked ebay; a new one sold for $150. Not sure if that's a good gauge though.
Yeah that and another for $60 something were the only ones I saw. Many looked like Japan pickup too but I think the cheaper one was worldwide. I'm thinking people just don't know about it (god knows I didn't!) or there's just not the demand for whatever reason.

Found a YouTube video with this in the description:

quote:

Whats interesting is the games released in the US were provided with Red/Blue anaglyph glasses, even though the game was still displaying the game in frame sequential mode (for the shutter glasses). They appear to have simply taken each second frame and changed it from full colour to just red.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Thanks man. This might be the only console ever that truly confuses the crap out of me. I'm like a caveman every time I try to operate it.

I think the red and blue thing for Rad Racer was only in the US and European copies of the game

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
Earlier today I received a phone call from an old friend asking if I still collected old video game stuff. He told me that the Savers thrift store a town away just put out a ton of game stuff, including a Genesis with a power base converter, a Master System and... I just cut him off there and hung up and drove right over.

This haul ran me $80. This more than makes up for all of the sports games and $30 Playstations with no accessories I always seem to find. I already own at least one of everything you see except for the power base converter and the janky accessories. It all belonged to the same person because they all had the same extreme amount and type of filth permeating them, so I don't know if they died and someone donated it all while emptying the house or if a parent got sick of their college kid's poo poo sitting around the house, but I feel bad for whoever owned it and lost it. I entirely dismantled each system except for the GameCube and cleaned and reconditioned them, including regreasing optical rails and cleaning pickups, plus cleaning out fans and such.

The Playstation 2 was in its original box and was the "online bundle" edition, which meant a free network/hard drive adapter for softmodding and also had the aftermarket multitap, a remote (no IR receiver, but I have one) and a copy of Vigilante 8 in the drive. The Genesis (sadly not a High-Definition model) had a power base but the thrift store put the power adapter for the Master System with the Genesis, which means I now finally own an actual legit Master System adapter! They are strangely hard to find.

I tested everything and everything works flawlessly except for two exceptions. The weird translucent GameCube controller causes the system to freeze when plugged into any port and the legit controller is missing its analog rubber cover, but I have tons of controllers so it will serve as a great donor/replacement some day. The Master System controllers both work perfectly and I feel better owning three now because they seem to be hard to come by. I've never seen the grippy things on the one controller but it actually makes it comfortable to hold. Also while the crappy aftermarket PS2 controllers look like they're cracked on the handles, they actually light up blue all over like lightning or something. I'll make guests use them to recreate the old days of making someone use the lovely cheap controller while everyone else has fun.

Only the dude's PS1 fat got left behind because it was $25 and included one controller. The cube was $25, the PS2 with all that stuff was $15 :wtc:, $15 for the Genesis/powerbase and accessories and $25 for the SMS.

Played some Smash Brothers Melee, started up Kingdom Hearts, played Moonwalker on both systems and Zero Tolerance. :frogc00l:

Some kid stared at me as I was loading my cart like a crazed lunatic. I think he we hoping I would leave something, anything, behind. Sorry kid. :smith:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

fatpat268 posted:

Not that this helps, but retrogate was just in stock less than 2 weeks ago, and I recall it went back ordered rather quickly. But it is backordered, and you can still order anyway. You will eventually get it. I originally ordered mine way back when it was backordered.

Ah, this does help though! I will place an order for one of those and a Mega ED soon. It breaks my heart to drop another $190 on the SD2SNES but I don't know how I'm living without it...

I played some Devil's Crush with my little sister and mom just now. That was fun.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

japtor posted:

If you happen to be in Southern California I could give you an old IIsi and PowerMac 8500 (with upgrades!). A Centris 650 too if I can find it. We had one of the old all in ones growing up but I remember it being put in my parents' office at one point and never seeing it again at home. I learned how to play blackjack on that thing :911:. I guess look around your area for people like me that don't care about their really old Macs (but still have them for some reason :shobon:).

Bah! Nope, living in NW Washington. :smith:

I'm guessing that stuff's way too delicate/heavy to ship, isn't it?

And yeah, for me it's not really about finding especially rare stuff, I just kind of want a few old boxes like those I used to use back in school sitting around to play with.

My garage is going to be a Museum of Not Really Very Modern Computing before I know it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So I found some things at a retro game shop today!

The Silver OG GBA wasn't something I was looking for until I saw it :retrogames:. The upside is now I have this!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Code Jockey posted:

Bah! Nope, living in NW Washington. :smith:

I'm guessing that stuff's way too delicate/heavy to ship, isn't it?

And yeah, for me it's not really about finding especially rare stuff, I just kind of want a few old boxes like those I used to use back in school sitting around to play with.

My garage is going to be a Museum of Not Really Very Modern Computing before I know it.
Yeah just a hassle to pack up and ship properly, haven't picked any of them up lately but I assume heavy enough to cost a decent amount.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

DeathBySpoon posted:

Well, today is two weeks since I placed my Rakuten order and still no shipping confirmation. I sent an email asking about it and got a generic "Sorry, we're working on it" response. I just want my Megaman :(

It took three weeks (placed order on 15th May) for me. I was considering placing a new order when they finally contacted me. Weird part was that the two artbooks I bought from Surugaya were first sold out thanks to me, then the products disappeared entirely from Rakuten and finally returned - as Surugaya-a-too-plus items. No idea what happened there.

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'm having a good time trying stuff out on the N8. For variety's sake, and hearing about other peoples' experiences, what's your favorite NES game that nobody else but you likes, and in your opinion, what's the best NES game nobody else played?

A game I played a lot as a kid: Werewolf: The Last Warrior. You play as a guy who can't fight for poo poo until he turns into a werewolf with blade arms. It's either really difficult or really lovely because I don't remember ever completing it.

:black101:

jyrque fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 8, 2013

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Woohoo just won myself a copy of Mother 2, now to way a week to a month to ship from Japan

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, I've got a FastLoad too, I just always either leave it off the C64 for some reason or am scared to push it on because OH GOD I WILL BE TOO ROUGH AND BREAK MY BELOVED COMPUTER

I want to get into Apple collecting. I'm not a Mac dude by far, but I love the old ones like we had in school. I want a IIGS and one of those all-in-one Macs [color or grayscale], and a PowerMac. I'm... I'm going to spend a lot of money, aren't I? I bet that poo poo's got to have a premium to it, or is there much of a fanbase of normal Mac people for the retro stuff?

If you're looking for someone close, try hitting up the Old Macintosh Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3463231

They might have machines they want to get rid of. You could also go the emulation route with Sheepshaver for powermacs (hit up the Macintosh Garden for abandonware and games) or basilisk for the all in one macs (i'm assuming you mean the Macintosh classic or similar model). Anything below OSX is really, really touchy. One program can cause the whole machine to crash. Control panels and extensions sometimes have conflicts, even if you've been running them fine for weeks or months. It's been a long time since I had that problem, but sometimes it's trial and error turning them on and off until you get a working setup.

the_lion fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 8, 2013

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

The absolutely weirdest thing is the Famicom 3D thing. What's so weird? I ordered it with "no box theory" and guess what?

It's literally brand new :stare:

I don't mean "lightly used" or "in really good condition". It was literally never touched by human hands. Honestly the box is a 10/10 in condition. Every little piece of cardboard is in the box, everything is sealed, the cables have twist-ties that I can tell are stock. It's insane. They literally sent me a brand new one.

I am afraid to play with it, even though I have a Famicom, simply because I can offset a good chunk of the cost of all this by selling this one item on eBay. As much as I'd hate to, at least it would soften the blow to my wallet a bit. Has anyone here veer used it? Is it even remotely cool? Now that I think about it, if I ever was really ever going to use this thing, I'd want it to be brand new because I don't need some kid's pink eye or headband sweat transferring over to me.

I got one from Rakuten as well. Used, but there was a box theory despite being told there wasnt, and all the plastic baggies came with it.

3D Worldrunner does not use them, Wikipedia says it does, but it doesn't. The Japanese 3D World Runner used red and blue glasses (I have it), however, it's sequel, JJ (Jumping Jack), does use the 3D System. Highway Star (Rad Racer), Attack Animal Gakuen, Falsion, Cosmic Epsilon and Famicom Grand Prix: 3D Hot Rally all use it, so enjoy all 6 games that use it. I know I will. (Falsion is a bit on the expensive side I've heard)

I've used it, and it's a neat accessory. It all depends on how much you love gimmicky 3D, and I love it. Also you'll look SO COOL wearing them.

Oh, and it supports 2 people, and if you can't find another pair, but have a pair of Segascope 3D glasses lying around, plug the 3.5mm Jack of the Segascope into the Famicom 3DS (:v:) glasses port, it will also work, because they both operate on Shutter technology. So TWO people can experience the AMAZING 3D REALMS OF NINTENDO. (and conversely if you use glasses but can't wear them with the Segascope 3D and really wanna play Missile Defence 3D plug in the famicom glasses into the Master System Glasses Card and wear your normal glasses underneath.)

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 8, 2013

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
:siren: RETRO GAMING :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r8HiaSQwQk

This guy is just so humble about his absurd collection of videogames and cars.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

SpaceAceJase posted:

Yeah, thanks. I always wondered who the rich idiots were who pushed the prices up of stuff I like.

Pikachu
Feb 6, 2010

DANGER DANGER
HIGH VOLTAGE

SpaceAceJase posted:

Why does a guy who owns five cars live in such a shithole?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

So he can afford five cars and tons of video games. :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't wait to get a job that pays six figures so I can live in a where my shoulders scrape against the hallways and decorate it with arcade cabinets and shelves you can never reach.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

If I had that kind of money I would definitely spend it on cosmetic surgery and yachts, and not the vidja.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

There's also talk that the Satellaview could be brought back to life on it.

I'm definitely sold, the potential to play those giant games is too great to pass up. What is the deal with the satellaview? Is it writing a new backed to make use of the hardware?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Can I do this for SNES games?
Best one nobody else played: Nankoku Shounen Papuwa-kun(南国少年パプワくん)It's a platformer where you play as a generic anime man, the gameplay is pretty generic too but solid, you get to kick the poo poo out of enemies in the style of Run Saber or Maui Mallard. Overall it's just really enjoyable and there's a segment where you have to beat up a transvestite snail so you can roll his shell over enemies. There's also a fish who's into BDSM and who helps you in a similar way. I think the best part about the game is the difficulty curve, it's never too hard but never too easy. Nice colorful graphics too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCNfSZuwL2I

And here's the official best ever Genesis music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13dpyKI3dHg

superh posted:

I'm definitely sold, the potential to play those giant games is too great to pass up. What is the deal with the satellaview? Is it writing a new backed to make use of the hardware?

The main problem is that the original audio broadcasts for them are lost to time, so the games won't have the original music and narrators, if I remember correctly.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jun 8, 2013

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is there anyone that reviews old NES games that actually bothers to do research into what they are reviewing and doesn't just scream about how lovely the game is?

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Shibawanko posted:

The main problem is that the original audio broadcasts for them are lost to time, so the games won't have the original music and narrators, if I remember correctly.

Yeah this is why I'm wondering what a satellaview revival would actually entail. Could you write arbitrary firmware to use it for something other than its original purpose?

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Shibawanko posted:

Nankoku Shounen Papuwa-kun(南国少年パプワくん)

This looks like a bit of fun. Super Adventure Island 2 wet my appetite for some more SFC platforming fun. I'll keep an eye out for it on my local hunts. Rakuten currently only has one copy, but the price isn't outrageous. Any idea how rare it is?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

MediumWellDone posted:

This looks like a bit of fun. Super Adventure Island 2 wet my appetite for some more SFC platforming fun. I'll keep an eye out for it on my local hunts. Rakuten currently only has one copy, but the price isn't outrageous. Any idea how rare it is?

I got one copy from my girlfriend along with her old SFC, I'd never heard of it or seen it before then though so it's probably in the medium-rare category.

Actually, currently my little cousins who want to learn some Japanese are over, so I put them in front of that SFC with that game so they have something to do. I think they think I'm an old fart for still playing a 20 year old Nintendo console though. "What is a 'Super Nintendo'??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Crimson Harvest posted:

Legendary Wings. That might be a response to both questions. It's my favorite shmup on the nes. It's an arcade port, but it's not an exact port.
The game is hard. I thought I was hot poo poo once I first got inside the first temple. I've never beaten it, but I haven't really given it as a go as an adult. I watched a playthrough of the first level and it really showed me a lot of things I was doing wrong.(not having a turbo control was my biggest mistake.)

Level 1 in its entirety... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzQE9YYBZbU
You travel in topdown mode to a palace/dungeon and then finish the level in a sidescroller mode. There are also "trap" dungeons and hidden treasure dungeons.

• Locked thread