Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

regular size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Regular size. If you need micro they have a cutter that resizes it.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Got it. Thanks!

Weatherproof
Nov 21, 2007

Well, like an understocked herb salesman, we've run out of oregano.. sorry, time!
Speaking of SIM cards, is there a nicer solution than buying a new SIM in each country if I'm travelling to multiple countries? It's not the end of the world if not, but it would be nice to have mobile data to use with google maps and the like while travelling around.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Weatherproof posted:

Speaking of SIM cards, is there a nicer solution than buying a new SIM in each country if I'm travelling to multiple countries? It's not the end of the world if not, but it would be nice to have mobile data to use with google maps and the like while travelling around.

No, it's a stupid situation but if you don't want them to rape your wallet you have to get a new number in every country.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

peak debt posted:

No, it's a stupid situation but if you don't want them to rape your wallet you have to get a new number in every country.

What's the average price just for the sim card? I'll be going from England to France, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, and Germany. That's a lot of sim cards.

Engin3
Mar 5, 2012

HookShot posted:

I can't speak for Venice or Madrid, but you definitely will want to spend at least a week in each of Rome and Paris. I wouldn't add anything else to your schedule, especially if you've only got three-four weeks and a few days already planned in London.

You want it to be a great trip, it will be MUCH better if you get to have a decent amount of time in four cities rather than feel like you've rushed through six.

I don't know about a week in Rome. A day for ancient city, vatican city, villa borghese (and the gallery), a day trip to Pompei/Napoli, and a day for odds and ends. And that's taking it slow enough to enjoy the evening and night however you want. I am currently on day 6 of Rome and I can't think of anything more to do. I guess if you're a huge Roman history buff I can imagine spending more time elsewhere, but I would say 5 days in Rome and 2 days in Florence seem like a more appropriate split.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Engin3 posted:

I don't know about a week in Rome. A day for ancient city, vatican city, villa borghese (and the gallery), a day trip to Pompei/Napoli, and a day for odds and ends. And that's taking it slow enough to enjoy the evening and night however you want. I am currently on day 6 of Rome and I can't think of anything more to do. I guess if you're a huge Roman history buff I can imagine spending more time elsewhere, but I would say 5 days in Rome and 2 days in Florence seem like a more appropriate split.

I say this every single time this comes up but...

GO TO OSTIA ANTICA!

It's about 20 minutes on the train from the station near the Piramide metro stop and it was the absolute highlight of my week in Rome.

vvv M.A. in Classics here - seriously, go to Ostia. vvvv

Pookah fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 9, 2013

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Engin3 posted:

Yeah, but I am a Roman history buff and there's a ton of stuff I want to see there, besides all the Renaissance things.

Anyway, just booked the flight tickets. November 26 to December 16, not counting the 48 hours of getting there and back. Three days in England to recuperate, a week in Paris, then a week in Rome and the remaining time split between Florence and Venice.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr.AARP posted:

What's the average price just for the sim card? I'll be going from England to France, the Netherlands, Czech Republic, and Germany. That's a lot of sim cards.
Don't know about the rest of Europe, but in the UK they're often given away for free in an attempt to capture customers. At most you might have to drop £1.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Mr.AARP posted:

In germany, usually around 10 € with 10 € in credits.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Weatherproof posted:

Pre-cache google maps. You can get by without constant data access. Free wifi is common enough for when you're in a pinch.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!
Anybody in the Prague area right now? I'm supposed to be there Wednesday - Sunday and I'm curious if everything is looking a-okay now or if I should reroute myself elsewhere due to the flooding?

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
If all you do is text, roaming in the EU isn't that bad. It's just 10 cents to send a text, which I think is the same price as when you use pre-paid in the original country.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Engin3 posted:

You're doing it wrong. We spent two weeks in Rome, with a packed schedule, and didn't even get to see everything we wanted to.

Go to Ostia Antica, the National Museum, the Appian Way, the dozens of interesting churches with famous artwork (have you seen the Ecstasy of St Theresa yet? Or the tomb of St. Paul?). Did you know there's a church that literally has the remains of a Mithran temple underneath (San Clemente) that you can walk through?

I could spend another month in Rome, easily. A week is definitely not too long.

mister ginger
Jul 5, 2005
Any good nightclubs in munich?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Gold and a Pager posted:

If all you do is text, roaming in the EU isn't that bad. It's just 10 cents to send a text, which I think is the same price as when you use pre-paid in the original country.

Yeah but nowadays you probably want to use Google maps, book hostels, look up stuff to visit and check restaurant reviews over the interwebs, and data prices are still completely unreasonable.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HooKars posted:

Anybody in the Prague area right now? I'm supposed to be there Wednesday - Sunday and I'm curious if everything is looking a-okay now or if I should reroute myself elsewhere due to the flooding?

I'm headed there on Sundy for a conference. They said everything will be fine except the metro might be closed

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

HookShot posted:

You're doing it wrong. We spent two weeks in Rome, with a packed schedule, and didn't even get to see everything we wanted to.

Go to Ostia Antica, the National Museum, the Appian Way, the dozens of interesting churches with famous artwork (have you seen the Ecstasy of St Theresa yet? Or the tomb of St. Paul?). Did you know there's a church that literally has the remains of a Mithran temple underneath (San Clemente) that you can walk through?

Yeah I agree with this. I spent 10 days in Rome and didn't even get out for day trips to Ostia or whatever. I figure I still have 5-6 days of stuff I want to see there whenever I get back.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

HooKars posted:

Just left this afternoon.

There are a few metro and tram stops near the river that are closed and the Charles bridge is also closed.

Asking the cops who are EVERYWHERE around the bridge when it would open,"we don't know." Which seems ridiculous because everything seems fine.

Greetings from flooded but beautiful Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic. Overlooking the Vlatava right in my pension right now.

Prague is really awesome. It ranks up there with Munich and Dublin in my fairly well traveled book.

We went to Image Black Light Theater last night. The "best of" show is legitimately the most fun I've ever had at a theater performance.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 9, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

HookShot posted:

Oooh that Mithran temple is well worth a look if it's the one I remember; it's in a quiet part of Rome with no tourists around and you go into a Church, then underground, then it gets weird. Strange grottoes and completely subterranean avenues of columns abound.

Also in the museum on the Capitoline they have marble slabs with list of the consuls from the start of the republic; Augustus had them made so if you are an early imperial Roman buff you can see the names of some of your favorite people listed up among their peers just as they were carved 2000 years ago. The muesum also has the most amazing collection of mostly comtemporary portrait busts of the early emperors. You see the Romans learned to carve stone from the Greeks, but where the Greeks went for idealizations, the Romans went for really accurate portraiture. The second is far more interesting from a historical perspective.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 9, 2013

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Pookah posted:

Oooh that Mithran temple is well worth a look if it's the one I remember; it's in a quiet part of Rome with no tourists around and you go into a Church, then underground, then it gets weird. Strange grottoes and completely subterranean avenues of columns abound.

Also in the museum on the Capitoline they have marble slabs with list of the consuls from the start of the republic; Augustus had them made so if you are an early imperial Roman buff you can see the names of some of your favorite people listed up among their peers just as they were carved 2000 years ago. The muesum also has the most amazing collection of mostly comtemporary portrait busts of the early emperors. You see the Romans learned to carve stone from the Greeks, but where the Greeks went for idealizations, the Romans went for really accurate portraiture. The second is far more interesting from a historical perspective.

Yeah, that's the Church. You're right, it's like three blocks from the Colloseum and there were like 10 people in it when we were there. One of my favourite places to visit.

We never got to the Capitoline museum, sadly. All the more reason to go back!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

HooKars posted:

It's been raining most of the afternoon again, and apparently it will continue until Tuesday and can result in more flooding. I wouldn't cancel any plans over it though, so far it was mostly just an inconvenience in Prague, while some other places got properly hosed up.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to San Clemente. This is my itinerary for Italy thus far.

Rome: St. Peter's Basilica, Trevi Fountain, Sistine Chapel, Vatican Museums, Monument of Vittorio Emmanuelle II, Capitoline Museums, National Museum of Rome, Colosseum, Roman Forum, Imperial Forums, Pantheon, Circus Maximus, Arch of Constantine, Hadrian's Mausoleum, San Clemente. Outside of Rome I've got Pompeii/Herculaneum and Ostia Antica.

Venice: St. Mark's Basilica, Piazza San Marco, Grand Canal, Jewish Ghetto, San Giacomo di Rialto, the Lido. I could probably cover these in a day and I was planning on spending the rest of the time wandering around taking in the atmosphere.

Florence: I had a list somewhere but I can't find it. Anyway, it's all the Michelangelo stuff.

I'd be surprised if I covered everything for Rome, but does anyone have specific suggestions for places like Venice and Florence?

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Yall should consider popping down to Sicily. I'm at the tail end of a couple weeks here and there's hardly any budget/backpackers anywhere, all the hostels are running at half capacity (if that) and it's got loads of stuff to see.

There's still loads of elderly package tourists around but they mostly stay on their buses.

e: oh apart from the obvious stuff, in Florence the science museum is really cool (it's got a bunch of old Renaissance experiment machines and such that are just awesome) and not a lot of people seem to know about it even though it's like right next to the Uffizi. And the Medici chapel is well worth a visit even though it's not very large, the entrance is right by the horrible tourist street market. In Rome you should definitely go to Ostia Antica if you have any interest in Roman stuff, it's really cool to see the actual town layout rather than just an arena or just a temple. In all three cities just look for big churches and go in every single one, with very few exceptions they've all got awesome stuff inside (especially Santa Croce).

Oh oh and Pompeii is farther away than you probably think. It's smart to overnight in Naples so you can go to Pompeii and Herculaneum and still have time for the Naples museum, it's one of the best museums I've ever seen and basically all the preserved stuff from the Vesuvian sites (including all the frescos) are in there.

duralict fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 10, 2013

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I thought the high speed trains could take you from Rome to Naples in a little over an hour? Then I'm guessing it's half an hour from Naples to Pompeii? I mainly want to see Herculaneum which I'm told is the better of the two, though.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's more like three hours.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

duralict posted:

Yall should consider popping down to Sicily. I'm at the tail end of a couple weeks here and there's hardly any budget/backpackers anywhere, all the hostels are running at half capacity (if that) and it's got loads of stuff to see.

I'm heading down to Sicily in about a week and a half. I'm only going to be there for a week and I'm going to Siracusa, Agrigento, and a little town in the southeast to visit family. Are there any other top places I should go to while I'm there?

Also I'm doing 3 days in Naples (1 for the city sights, 1 for Herculaneum and leftover Naples sights, and 1 for Pompeii). Is that to many days or an ok amount?

Just to add something not related to Italy, the French Riviera is one of the most gorgeous places I've ever been. Monaco is the best looking city I've seen. Crazy expensive, but still gorgeous.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
Heading to Prague Sunday. Can't wait! Slovakia is great and all but I need a change of scenery. Anyone wanna grab a beer?

Engin3
Mar 5, 2012

HookShot posted:

You mentioned a bunch of nick nacks for the most part. The National Museum is arguable, but I wouldn't recommend spending too much time in it. The Baths of Diocletian and the cloister were the only interesting part unless artifacts is your thing. I did spend 2 hours in San Clemente taking in its awesomeness, but that was on the same day of the Vatican (which took a lot less time than I thought). I went to a mind numbing amount of churches on my little nick nacks day (which included ecstasy of St Theresa). I missed the Appian Way, but my heart isn't broken. I had a good time in Rome, I spent my last day lounging in Villa Borghese doing nothing for the first time on my trip. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to do Ostia Antica.

For Naples: High speed trains from Rome can do it in an hour (40 euros), while slower trains get there in 2-3 hours (19-25 euros). You take another train (circumsuviana?) from Naples that takes 30 minutes to get to Pompeii.

Engin3 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 10, 2013

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

MagicCube posted:

I'm heading down to Sicily in about a week and a half. I'm only going to be there for a week and I'm going to Siracusa, Agrigento, and a little town in the southeast to visit family. Are there any other top places I should go to while I'm there?

Also I'm doing 3 days in Naples (1 for the city sights, 1 for Herculaneum and leftover Naples sights, and 1 for Pompeii). Is that to many days or an ok amount?

Agrigento is hella cool and has an awesome museum but it's definitely a day trip sorta thing unless you want to hang around in a reasonably nice little Sicilian town for a night. Pretty much every town and city in Sicily is apparently considered a day trip by the package tourists so literally all of them have way, way smaller tourist throngs in the morning and evening. I'd recommend basing yourself in Siracusa because it's got the best night life in the area and probably the nicest hostel I've ever seen (there's only one, it's called Lol Hostel). Noto is neat (impeccably preserved sandstone Baroque town) but tiiiiiiny (like maybe two hours tops to see everything). I didn't go to Ragusa but I hear good things.

Personally I liked Palermo best but it's a bit far afield for you. Catania is a nice enough city but your time's better spent elsewhere to be honest (unless you're there anyway). Taormina is surprisingly fun considering it's retiree-package-tourist hell but there's not much to see there and it's all very expensive. I got a big kick out of Stromboli but then I was ridiculously excited about seeing lava and you may feel differently about spending a heap of money and/or a heap of time getting all the way out there to spend ten minutes on a boat watching fire pour out of a mountain.

You can easily compress the Naples part into two days even if you move at a pretty slow pace (either Pompeii/Herculaneum and then Naples proper, or Naples/Herculaneum and a full day in Pompeii, depending on whether you're a hardcore museum person or a hardcore ruins person). I imagine you could theoretically do all three in one day if you like to move quickly (sidenote other people, don't try this if you're doing it as a day trip from Rome, you'll waste half the day on trains).

p.s. eat everything you can get your hands on.

e: oh if you like hiking, everyone I know who's done the hike up Etna loved it.

duralict fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 10, 2013

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

duralict posted:

Great stuff on Sicily

Thanks for that, it's really helpful. I am basing myself primarily out of Siracusa because my family is in the far southeast in a town called Pachino and I'm very interested in the Greek history of the island. I'm only in Catania for a night because I have an evening flight there from Venice. I will be in Palermo for a bit because I'm taking the overnight ferry to Naples and while I won't be there for terribly long I can still see a few things before my ferry. I'm quite looking forward to the Valley of Temples though.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

Well if you can swing it, the best time to be in Palermo is on a Saturday evening/overnight. Go up to monreale and see the awesome Byzantine cathedral then go wander around the maze of alleys between via Roma and the port, the entire district is full of late night beer and food stands and the'yre all great. (as far as I know it still runs te rest of the week except maybe Monday, but on Saturday it's packed with people.)

Also in Catania there's a fantastic cafe between the duomo and the university piazzas that you should definitely go to for arancini, granite and/or cannoli. It is my favorite thing in Catania. e: and because it's a cafe it'll be one of the last things to close at night and one of the first things to open in the morning.

duralict fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 11, 2013

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

I've heard the whole "Europeans don't wear shorts" saying, but how true is that in summer? (end of june/start of july)

FYI, I'm an 18 year old guy so I'm not going to be wearing combat cargos, but I was thinking about packing a few pairs of relatively nice volcom chino shorts.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I wear shorts everyday and I plan on ditching the only pair of khakis I got before I leave Slovakia to go to Prague. If they wanna sweat their balls off in 30C+ weather let em.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Mr.AARP posted:

I've heard the whole "Europeans don't wear shorts" saying, but how true is that in summer? (end of june/start of july)

Of course Europeans wear shorts. What a weird saying.

Kolta
Apr 13, 2009
I will admit. Many people around where I'm at wear shorts. But it's a town with 20,000 students. However, when I was in Austria it was all about the business suits. I still wore shorts.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard

Mr.AARP posted:

FYI, I'm an 18 year old guy so I'm not going to be wearing combat cargos, but I was thinking about packing a few pairs of relatively nice volcom chino shorts.

Shorts are fine, just don't wear those retarded white sport socks and shoes underneath them.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
What's wrong with combat cargos? You'll be fine, don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I've heard the Europeans don't wear shorts thing a lot. I've also seen Europeans wearing shorts a lot.