Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Damegane posted:

BSAA had the right idea, just not the correct execution. They should have just turned him loose in a particularly messed-up part of town and let him angrily punch everything to dust by himself, while the rest of the right-minded folk go on a mission elsewhere.

... There are right minded folks in the BSAA? Revelations would seem to suggest otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't Jake saying he hated his father or some poo poo? Just seemed weird he'd suddenly get that angry over what Chris told him.

Silverbolt
Jun 7, 2013

by T. Finninho
I think there is more than just recuperative substances in those herbs. How else did Chris get so huge in 5 and 6? Also what's stopping them from eating Yellow Herbs by themselves in 4? I never understood that and why you couldn't have G+G+Y or stuff like that. I missed making the brown powder piles like in the old titles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Alteisen posted:

Wasn't Jake saying he hated his father or some poo poo? Just seemed weird he'd suddenly get that angry over what Chris told him.

That's about the least weird thing in the game, as far as I'm concerned. At the point Chris shows up, Jake's been through hell for the last six months and it's because of who his completely absent father was. Meanwhile, Chris is just loving done with everything at that point and genuinely doesn't care if he dies. Neither of them are thinking straight.

Silverbolt posted:

I think there is more than just recuperative substances in those herbs. How else did Chris get so huge in 5 and 6?

Somebody told him that working out was one way to deal with shock and grief. He... overdid it.

Also, you know, he lives in a world where his two g-d fists pack more damage than a double-barreled shotgun. I'd hit the iron pretty hard too if it was how I tuned up the single most effective weapon on the planet.

ImpAtom posted:

... There are right minded folks in the BSAA? Revelations would seem to suggest otherwise.

That's the most competent the BSAA's ever been, though. Quint is really good at his job, even if he's eccentric.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

ImpAtom posted:

Did we play the same game? I took away from Revelations 'Everyone in the BSAA is totally loving awesome'. Especially Keith and Quint.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wanderer posted:

That's the most competent the BSAA's ever been, though. Quint is really good at his job, even if he's eccentric.

They're not bad at their jobs but I wouldn't call them right minded. Thems some crazy people.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Son Ryo posted:

Did we play the same game? I took away from Revelations 'Everyone in the BSAA is totally loving awesome'. Especially Keith and Quint.

Even their boss is pretty awesome ( In raid mode ) he can reload a handgun in the blink of a eye, plus forget uber-punches and clothes-lines. A elbow into the brainstem for everybody.

And to be honest, would anyone totally sane volunteer to fight hideous bio-organic weapons? The BSAA is mostly volunteers if I remember rightly from five.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

They're not bad at their jobs but I wouldn't call them right minded. Thems some crazy people.

They don't have brain problems, they have brain solutions.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Well, yeah, they're eccentric. You'd have to be.

The BSAA actually maps really well to something like "Fringe" or "Warehouse 13" (or "Agents of SHIELD," now that I think about it): a competent but off-kilter group of people who are nonetheless very good at doing an extremely dangerous job that you'd have to be driven or nuts to want to take.

Man, now I want to see this TV show. Every season opener, they just tell the new kids straight up, "Okay, one of you is a mole for another agency or a major corporation or you're going to go rogue. Any chance you'll just tell us now? No? poo poo. Moving on..."

Silverbolt
Jun 7, 2013

by T. Finninho

Wanderer posted:

Somebody told him that working out was one way to deal with shock and grief. He... overdid it.

Also, you know, he lives in a world where his two g-d fists pack more damage than a double-barreled shotgun. I'd hit the iron pretty hard too if it was how I tuned up the single most effective weapon on the planet.

Then by that logic, Gene from God Hand would be one of the most effective B.O.W killers ever. Hell, Kenshiro would decimate everything if we go by that logic.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Wanderer posted:

I read this somewhere, it may have been posted earlier in the thread by someone... I don't know if it's what Capcom intended, but it's an interesting theory.

(Spoilers for Revelations)
When Chris fails to pull up Parker when they're running through that flaming room on the ship, it inspires him to bulk up so that won't happen again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silverbolt posted:

Then by that logic, Gene from God Hand would be one of the most effective B.O.W killers ever. Hell, Kenshiro would decimate everything if we go by that logic.

I don't really see a flaw in that argument.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really see a flaw in that argument.

Seriously. Given the sort of things Gene punched to death in his game, the only way he could possibly fail a BSAA mission would be if he was laughing too hard at the enemies shuffling at him to throw a haymaker now and again.

Or maybe he just tries to exterminate the entire BOW population of China with only the Yes Man Kablaam. He doesn't die, but he needs to clock out about halfway through Shanghai (working alphabetically).

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Son Ryo posted:

I read this somewhere, it may have been posted earlier in the thread by someone... I don't know if it's what Capcom intended, but it's an interesting theory.

(Spoilers for Revelations)
When Chris fails to pull up Parker when they're running through that flaming room on the ship, it inspires him to bulk up so that won't happen again.

He's already a pretty big wall of meat in Revelations. I think he's just preparing for a rematch with Wesker after that fight at the end of Code Veronica, honestly.

Silverbolt posted:

You cannot possibly have meant that as a counterargument.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Silverbolt posted:

Um, yes they would indeed, you are correct.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cyra posted:

What's the status on that Resident Evil 1.5 fan reconstruction? I remember they released a very unfinished build in order to quell a leak, but I heard something about them having since released a more updated version. Anyone got the skinny on that?

They'll have updates on the MrBZork channel.

This bonus feature they're putting in is the coolest loving thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ILZULpEDYM

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

That loving Sned posted:

They'll have updates on the MrBZork channel.

This bonus feature they're putting in is the coolest loving thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ILZULpEDYM

Oh what! That's pretty nifty :)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Supposedly Chris gets that buff because of what happens to Jill in RE5, he felt he was to weak and that forced her hand to sacrifice herself.

Course Wesker also beat them down cause how fast he was, not sure a mountain of muscle would help him to much vs a speedy opponent.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Supposedly Chris gets that buff because of what happens to Jill in RE5, he felt he was to weak and that forced her hand to sacrifice herself.

Course Wesker also beat them down cause how fast he was, not sure a mountain of muscle would help him to much vs a speedy opponent.

Hey, I punched the poo poo out of Wesker!

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
If fighting hosed up monsters was my job I'd probably bulk up as much as possible too.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Alteisen posted:

Being crazy buff also means you're more durable. His whole game plan in RE5 seemed to be to absorb the hits until he could land one of his own, and when he did, that hosed Wesker up something serious.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Alteisen posted:

The difference is pretty clear between his Lost in Nightmares model and his RE5 model. He's pretty buff, but more in the sense of action movie buff in Lost in Nightmares.

RE5's melon-biceps are really noticeably different.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Tremors posted:

If fighting hosed up monsters was my job I'd probably bulk up as much as possible too.

I'm pretty sure he gives that exact reason in his Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 win quote.

Silverbolt
Jun 7, 2013

by T. Finninho

Wanderer posted:

You cannot possibly have meant that as a counterargument.

I didn't intend it as a counter argument. Just throwing out alternative heroes for laughs.

E: Let's vote Arthur into the BSAA, cause beating hordes of messed up monsters and killing Loki has to count for something.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.
Why won't people stop talking about my dad?

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Any goons here interested in partying up and playing through RE5 on Steam? I played through most of it a while back, got stuck on some part, and now I want to go back run through the whole thing again. I'm not a PRO SPEEDRUNNER or anything, just looking to go through the story, either on Normal or Veteran.

I'll be playing this week, probably between 10am-3pm EST. I've got a mic if you want to be all friendly like. PM me here or add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/OnionBro

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, since I haven't played any of his campaign yet I decided to hold off on playing Jake in the Mercenaries. I just did and completely blew my other scores out of the water, it was amazing. First A Rank (got B's with Leon and Chris, C's with Agent), mostly done using hand to hand. Got surrounded by dogs once, and pretty much completely destroyed them with hand to hand quick shots, giving me enough room to escape. Punched a Bloodshot to death. Suplexed zombies. Jake is loving awesome.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Got my hands on the 360 version of Revelations so I'm replaying it for the first time in months. I gotta say, it's pretty funny how annoyed people were about Jessica's costumes. I mean, yeah, RE has major problems with objectifying clothing for the female cast, but literally every time Jessica changes clothes, her outfits more and more comically ridiculous! And she's always teamed up with the most sensibly dressed characters! There is no way Jessica's wardrobe isn't an intentional joke, and it is hilarious.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Silverbolt posted:

I think there is more than just recuperative substances in those herbs. How else did Chris get so huge in 5 and 6?

In a weird coincidence, I happened across this just now. I guess it's a page from the RE5 design book.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Crowetron posted:

Got my hands on the 360 version of Revelations so I'm replaying it for the first time in months. I gotta say, it's pretty funny how annoyed people were about Jessica's costumes. I mean, yeah, RE has major problems with objectifying clothing for the female cast, but literally every time Jessica changes clothes, her outfits more and more comically ridiculous! And she's always teamed up with the most sensibly dressed characters! There is no way Jessica's wardrobe isn't an intentional joke, and it is hilarious.

I really like her BSAA uniform but the other ones are atrociously bad.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Marogareh posted:

I really like her BSAA uniform but the other ones are atrociously bad.

By BSAA uniform you would be referring to her one-leg wetsuit, so I'm going to assume you mean her FBC Uniform.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
The one in Terragrigia, I mix up BSAA and FBC all the time.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The FBC uniform is my favorite, mostly because it's the funniest. Here you have this tense flashback as the last survivors of a failed rescue face the grim facts and are forced to abandon a city to its laser-y fate, and the camera pans over and HEEEEEERE'S JESSICA, wearing some sort of crazy anime stewardess costume and everyone just carries on like it's perfectly natural for her to be performing a military operation looking like Tetsuya Nomura's 1950's fever dream.

Edit: poo poo, the BSAA one is hilarious, too. Chris rolls up looking all super tactical Call of Duty, and like two feet behind him there's some weird fetish stripper carrying a rifle. Resident Evil is the best comedy series in video games, you guys.

Crowetron fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 10, 2013

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

They did go overboard with her 1960s hair and that creepy loving rictus grin she always has with that model, but it almost looks like some kind of dress uniform, so at least there's that.

Crowetron posted:

Edit: poo poo, the BSAA one is hilarious, too. Chris rolls up looking all super tactical Call of Duty, and like two feet behind him there's some weird fetish stripper carrying a rifle. Resident Evil is the best comedy series in video games, you guys.

The best part of that is Chris's complete obliviousness to her even when she's stretching for no reason and throwing herself at him. She's basically doing everything short of a lap dance to get his attention and Chris is all MISSION START.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
And don't forget that her idea of proper mountain-climbing attire is leggings and high heels.

I guess I can admire her dedication to being a femme fatale at all costs, but she should just hang it up. She's no Ada Wong. The only man she was fooling was Parker, and he seemed to only find her kind of amusing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ximum posted:

And don't forget that her idea of proper mountain-climbing attire is leggings and high heels.

I guess I can admire her dedication to being a femme fatale at all costs, but she should just hang it up. She's no Ada Wong. The only man she was fooling was Parker, and he seemed to only find her kind of amusing.

God, I want a Jessica and Ada Wong team up game so bad now. It would be amazing.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

God, I want a Jessica and Ada Wong team up game so bad now. It would be amazing.

So THAT'S who Agent is. It all makes sense!

Seriously though, that snow level in Revelations has me absolutely convinced that the character designer was making Jessica an intentional visual joke. Playing it on the 360, I noticed that Chris actually has legit gear on his belt; he's got a climbing axe, a suture kit, and a few pouches that could be ammo but are probably just cans of synthol in case he gets thirsty. Then Jess is like "Look, I got leg warmers and a hat, I'm good to go!"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, I noticed her thing is that she looks perfectly reasonable from the waist up. Warm jacket, warm hat, what looks like a radio, someplace to keep spare ammunition, gloves...

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Don't you dare disparage Ada Wong's imaginary best friend by comparing him with those unimportant sidekicks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Crowetron posted:

Seriously though, that snow level in Revelations has me absolutely convinced that the character designer was making Jessica an intentional visual joke. Playing it on the 360, I noticed that Chris actually has legit gear on his belt; he's got a climbing axe, a suture kit, and a few pouches that could be ammo but are probably just cans of synthol in case he gets thirsty. Then Jess is like "Look, I got leg warmers and a hat, I'm good to go!"

And she didn't wear her thermal underwear.