Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Rent posted:

Is that supposed to be ten? Which is confusing, because isn't that her dress in Asylum of the Daleks? What city-scape is that?

What happened at the end of the library episode? I remember him leaving Rivers journal on that balcony and walking away. Maybe Clara picked it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

KilGrey posted:

What happened at the end of the library episode? I remember him leaving Rivers journal on that balcony and walking away. Maybe Clara picked it up?
She's probably watching the Doctor to make sure he finds River's echo device (that she might have installed herself to counter the GI being responsible for River's death).

Varance fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 8, 2013

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

ButtercupSaiyan posted:

Well, I'm 27 and my first thought when I saw the new Doctor was "OH MY GOD THIS IS GOING TO BE GOOD" ... the fact he's Ollivander doesn't hurt either! The guy has an amazing filmography, if anyone can pull this off, this guy can.

He's not "the new Doctor". The 12th Doctor has yet to be revealed.

e: ...assuming that's what you meant by that.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

So according to The Sunday Telegraph says that Rory Kinnear has been offered the part. But isn't the telegraph one of those make poo poo up places?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can't imagine a guy that old and/or not that good looking would ever get the role, sad as it is to say.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Chairman Capone posted:

I can't imagine a guy that old and/or not that good looking would ever get the role, sad as it is to say.

Do looks really factor into it though? Matt Smith definitely wasn't cast for his looks. Dude looks weird.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Mooseontheloose posted:

So according to The Sunday Telegraph says that Rory Kinnear has been offered the part. But isn't the telegraph one of those make poo poo up places?

The Telegraph is poo poo but that's more in terms of viewpoints and political leanings. As far as actual news goes, it's not really in the same league as the Sun/Mail/Express for outright making poo poo up for fluff entertainment stories so who knows. I can't imagine for a moment though that Rory Kinnear is seriously going to be the next Doctor though, he's just...acting wallpaper, innit? There's no spark, no buzz there.

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~

Sentinel Red posted:

The Telegraph is poo poo but that's more in terms of viewpoints and political leanings. As far as actual news goes, it's not really in the same league as the Sun/Mail/Express for outright making poo poo up for fluff entertainment stories so who knows. I can't imagine for a moment though that Rory Kinnear is seriously going to be the next Doctor though, he's just...acting wallpaper, innit? There's no spark, no buzz there.

That's why I'm so interested in what his costume would be like if he were the Doctor. I'm thinking they'd have to have at least some Tom Baker level eccentricity to make up for his blandness.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Pops Mgee posted:

Do looks really factor into it though? Matt Smith definitely wasn't cast for his looks. Dude looks weird.

Matt Smith is not conventionally handsome but he's definitely 'good looking'. I'd be very surprised if the new Doctor isn't above average looking.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Sentinel Red posted:

The problem is, no matter how hard I try, when I look at Rory Kinnear, I see his segment of "Black Mirror."

ButtercupSaiyan
May 25, 2013

by Fistgrrl

CobiWann posted:

The problem is, no matter how hard I try, when I look at Rory Kinnear, I see his segment of "Black Mirror."

I am really not able to picture this dude as a the Doctor.

But hey, if they're right, an Irish doctor will be fascinating.

PantsOptional posted:

I picked up the book the other day for my kids and gave it a read with this comment in mind. It doesn't answer anything. It is its own self-contained adventure. There's a lot of nice bits in there which are references to prior Companions, but it doesn't connect at all with the cliffhanger.

I'm still getting caught up on classic Who so I bet all this stuff that is pretty new to me is incredibly obvious to you...

So this guy is the infamous one?> http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Sixth_Doctor

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ButtercupSaiyan fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 15, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ButtercupSaiyan posted:

I am really not able to picture this dude as a the Doctor.

But hey, if they're right, an Irish doctor will be fascinating.

I'm still getting caught up on classic Who so I bet all this stuff that is pretty new to me is incredibly obvious to you...

So this guy is the infamous one?> http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Sixth_Doctor

He's really not Irish.

ButtercupSaiyan
May 25, 2013

by Fistgrrl
Oh, what nationality is here?

Man, I miss Rose and Doctor Donna. I really hope they bring them back...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ButtercupSaiyan posted:

Oh, what nationality is here?

Man, I miss Rose and Doctor Donna. I really hope they bring them back...

He was born in London, and speaks with an RP accent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seven, Nine and Ten are the only ones who didn't speak with RP, which I guess makes sense, because when the start "touring the regions," it makes you think for a moment how the TARDIS translation thing is supposed to work, which should be a hand-wave that you forget about.

Still, "Lots of planets have a north!" was fun, Sly's accent is great and Tennant's put-on accent really works for him. It'd be kind of comforting to hear an Irish brogue, but I don't think it's in the cards.

Laivaren
Sep 15, 2006

ToplessRobot has a contest in which the purpose is to guess how you think the John Hurt storyline should resolve.
Some great guesses already.

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2013/06/giveaway_tardis_hockey_jersey_by_daves_geeky_jerse.php

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I still think he'll be Zygon who's been pretending to be the Doctor for so long that he's forgotten he's a Zygon.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I could definitely see that happening, but if it does, that would be a huge disappointment.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I, too, loved the basic premise of 'The Next Doctor'.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

Sly's accent is great

No, don't listen to it! There's no telling what he'll get you to do! :ohdear:

Laivaren
Sep 15, 2006

Apparently, Hurt's Doctor has been spoiled:

Burden told The Telegraph that Hurt will be playing a “dark Doctor” which will fit between the 8th and 9th Doctor. He told the Telegraph:

There was a gap between Paul McGann playing the Doctor and Christopher Eccleston, when we didn’t see a regeneration, and John Hurt will fit into that gap. He is a past Doctor, not a future Doctor.

As soon as pictures of John Hurt appeared online, rumors began circulating that suggested this because it appears that Hurt’s costume is combining both McGann a’s and Eccleston’s look.

Link: http://haveageekasm.com/doctor-who/...racter-revealed

Not shocking. drat Costyme Designers!! :argh:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Red Dwarf was added to Netflix recently, so I've been rewatching it. I forgot how great The Cat was, and now I really really want Danny John-Jules to play the 12th Doctor. (especially if he starts marking everything as his territory with a can of hairspray)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Something that I started thinking about a while back that has probably been debunked is what if Secret Doctor was actually between 2 and 3?

It doesn't seem like there's a typical regeneration scene between 2 and 3 like most other regenerations, and the Doctor tends to look older during earlier regenerations, so Hurt seems like he could fit appearance wise between 2 and 3 more than between 8 and 9. Also, it doesn't seem like 2's regeneration happened under the 'best' conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xRkPUMHhc

Technically, being so early in his regeneration cycle, too, it would mean that whatever he did in that persona would perhaps carry with him for more of his life than a relatively recent event.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ah, season 6b. That's generally regarded as being Troughton in that time though.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Season_6B

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Um....dafuq?
http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/07/06/doctor-who-bbc-posts-cryptic-fourth-doctor-video/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Follow the main thread, I said what it was. :)

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The_Doctor posted:

Follow the main thread, I said what it was. :)

Yeah, I caught that waaay after the fact.

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.
Think this is legit?

quote:

The fantasy and science fiction author Stephen Hunt is reporting that at last night’s rehearsals for the Doctor Who-themed proms at the Albert Hall, the staff gathered there were briefed on a section of the proms where the identity of the new Doctor will either be revealed, or they will actually walk out live on stage tonight (that’s the first night of the Dr Who proms on Saturday 13th July).

http://sfcrowsnest.org.uk/exclusive-new-doctor-who-to-be-revealed-at-albert-hall-tonight/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Probably not. They'd want a bigger audience than some prom that's not even going out live.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Actually, it is being broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 in about a hour and a half. I'll admit it'll be somewhat of a weird announcement without the visual element, though.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 13, 2013

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Cross-Section posted:

Actually, it is being broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 in about a hour and a half. I'll admit it'll be somewhat of a weird announcement without the visual element, though.

Not if it's a well-known actor :ninja:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'd completely forgotten that Smith was announced on Doctor Who Confidential. I didn't really watch it much, but I definitely remember seeing that episode.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Cross-Section posted:

So who was it?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Jose Mengelez posted:

So who was it?

No idea, but apparently both Tennant and Smith were on stage at some point.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I was just listening to it but zoned out at the end. :smith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Turns out 12 was on stage, but lacked such presence no-one realised, so they've instantly gone to recast him.

Judoon Platoon
Nov 1, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

No idea, but apparently both Tennant and Smith were on stage at some point.

Just heading home from this now. No Tennant but there was Smith, Coleman, Peter Davison and Carole Ann Ford.

And no announcement on the Twelth Doctor.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Carole Ann Ford has been really active in the Doctor Who community lately. I guess it wouldn't make much sense to give her a part these days. Her story kind of finished up, they'd have to find a way to write in another Timelord, and realistically, she'd probably have regenerated. Still, it would be nice if they could give her a chance at the role again, especially since she feels like she didn't have the opportunity to do her best with it before. :unsmith:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bicyclops posted:

Carole Ann Ford has been really active in the Doctor Who community lately. I guess it wouldn't make much sense to give her a part these days. Her story kind of finished up, they'd have to find a way to write in another Timelord, and realistically, she'd probably have regenerated. Still, it would be nice if they could give her a chance at the role again, especially since she feels like she didn't have the opportunity to do her best with it before. :unsmith:

She has done some really awesome poo poo with Big Finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

They could cast her as the elderly Rani before she regenerates.

• Locked thread