Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Homie S posted:

Is this a good enough Grill pan for doing meat and stuff? I know nothing about grill pans other than I'm supposed to get cast iron.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8SGP3-...=I1O96UBLG0JJCU
To amplify what GrAviTy84 already said: it's small. I wouldn't bother with any pan smaller than 12" unless you happen to know that you need smaller pans for specific tasks. As a general rule, it's easier to use a large cooking vessel to cook less of something that to use a small cooking vessel to cook more.

.Z. posted:

Any reason to hold onto my slow cooker now that I have a sous vide machine?
Since they don't really do the same thing, if you had a use for a slow cooker before you probably still have one now. You wouldn't make a braise or a stew in a puddle machine, for example. I suppose if you're talking about something like a SVS water bath (instead of an immersion circulator) you might be able to run it at 210 or whatever, but it's going to take a gently caress of a long time to get there.

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm trying to fix being a terrible person who doesn't keep his bacon grease. Is there anything special I need to do with it? My impression is that it keeps essentially forever in the fridge but I don't know how much food safety grandma was into. I'd like to not get sick from it.
Strain it, but otherwise it's just grease. Keep it refrigerated and it'll last a hell of a long time. It'll let you know when it's starting to go bad by smelling off.

To sorta put things in perspective, before refrigeration people would render animal fat and submerge meat in it as a method of food preservation. There aren't a lot of safety gotchas with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The straining I've heard both that it's required and that it's not. I haven't strained any of mine so far. What's the deal with it? Is it just a texture thing or does having some crispy bits in there encourage decay?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I strain because I don't want crispy bits mucking up whatever I fry later.

I'm not sure about Korea, but Japan has these thermos-like strainer things where you basically just pour your old oil into the thermos and it strains all the crap out and then you toss it in the fridge. It's mainly for tempura oil.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

.Z. posted:

Any reason to hold onto my slow cooker now that I have a sous vide machine?

Soup. Beans.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

Looking for a recipe which uses both beer and beef broth, any suggestions? Basically I don't like Corona and I have this beef broth which'll go off soon.

Simmer some brats and onions in beer and then crisp over charcoal?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I bought two pounds of sour cherries. It's easy to find sweet cherries here (NoCal) in season, very difficult to find sour because they have a higher chill requirement. I love sour cherry pie, sour cherry jam, and so on, but usually have to start from frozen. Now that I have fresh, I'm torn as to their highest and best use. I've only got two pounds, I paid cocaine prices for them, and I want to do something I can't otherwise duplicate. Not pie, because frozen cherries work just fine for that. Not jam, because two pounds is barely a couple of jars.

Right now I'm leaning compote, with sour-cherry gelato another possibility. Is there anything interesting to do with uncooked sour cherries? What would you use them for?

I know its a little late, but you could make perogies with them. My mother always talks about her favorite perogies growing up as a kid in Poland, and they were always the sour cherry ones.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I drunkingly mentioned to my girlfriend that I have made pizza before and its way better for you than store pizza, so this is apparently now a thing I am beholden to create. What's everyone's favorite sauce recipe? She's going out and buying a stone because she is so drat excited at this prospect.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Strain a can of crushed tomatoes, discard liquid.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

taqueso posted:

Strain a can of crushed tomatoes, discard liquid.

That's what I do, and then add garlic, crushed red pepper, oregano and fresh basil.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Whats the best way to caramelize onions?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flaggy posted:

Here you go.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

Slowly. Put a little oil on the pan/pot and put the onions and a pinch of salt in over medium low heat. When they start sizzling, turn it down. Stir every few minutes. Do this for like an hour, hour and a half. Ignore people that tell you to add sugar or baking soda. Also, use way more onions than you think you need, they will cook down to nothing.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I do the Alton Brown method which is melt butter put on onions in layers with salt between, let it sit and sizzle for 40 minutes BUT DO NOT TOUCH DO NOT STIR etc

I think this is the clip, I can't watch videos at work https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZEYPRhdpY

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't get the whole no stirring thing, seems like it would risk burning the onions at the bottom.

Really, the most important aspect is heat control. You have to be patient.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Shrug, I've used his method a few times and it comes out well

I think the big trick is the precise heat control that the electric griddle gives, I wouldn't really attempt that with a stovetop. Since it's precise (precise enough anyway) you can put it to a temperature hot enough to caramelize but not so hot it burns.

edit: I'm super interested in this Food Lab article with the baking soda, though. The big reason I don't make onion soup more often is because it takes so drat long compared to anything else.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Flaggy posted:

Put three pounds of onions and a stick of butter in a slow cooker, set it on low, and forget about it for about half a day.

All the above methods work, but this is the one that lets you not stand around staring at onions for an hour and a half.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As an aside, I tried the pinch of baking soda in the onions trick one time and they turned radioactive yellow. Never again.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Has anyone ever tried the caramelized onions from Modernist Cuisine at Home? If I recall, it uses mason jars similar to the garlic confit recipe (which I have tried and is awesome with toast).

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Put three pounds of onions and a stick of butter in a slow cooker, set it on low, and forget about it for about half a day.

Oil is way better than butter for this, with butter you`re just adding water that will make it take longer.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm going backpacking later this month on a 22 mile trail in Yosemite and I've created a meal plan for myself — can you guys take a look and give me your thoughts?

I'm 24, 5"8, and 140LB. I've been weight-lifting for 3 years now - 3 times a week, cycle 10 miles a week, and I rock climb occasionally.

My backpack will be 35-45lb and we'll be walking 7-10 miles a day.

Breakfast
Oatmeal Surprise
2 servings Oatmeal
1box Raisin
2 scoops Whey
6tbsp Milk Powder
30 Chocolate Chips
930Cal, 15gFat, 123g Carbs, 84g Protein

Lunch
Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwich
625Cal, 32gFat, 61g Carbs, 33g Protein

Dinner
Japanese Curry Rice Pilaf with Spam
827Cal, 38gfat, 95g carbs, 22g protein

Snacks
2 Trail Mix Packages
420Cal, 26g fat, 36g Carbs, 14g Protein

2 Met-RX Bars
640Cal, 18g fat, 64g carbs, 64g protein

Total per day: 3440 Calories,165g Fat, 379g Carbs, 217g Protein

Edit - whoops! poo poo, I meant to post this in YLLS :downs:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Onions don't need a long time to caramelize. High heat, salt, stir, fond will form, add a touch of water to deglaze, stir more, fond, deglaze, stir, etc. Should take less than 10 minutes.

Baking soda works but you really really don't need much at all otherwise they will turn radioactive yellow and may have a slight soapy taste. The point is to increase the ph which aids the maillard reaction.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're maillarding not caramelizing

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I was going to make a Caramelized Onion Jam so the low heat with oil is probably the best bet for the recipe, don't have a crock pot otherwise I would do that one too.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flaggy posted:

`Best', as we've already seen, is a subjective value judgement.

If you're cooking like you want to get laid or hired, then there are two things of paramount importance: cutting the onions, and keeping the heat low.

For the first part, you're cutting them thin, short, and above loving all else consistently. Make your cuts along the grain of the onion---look at an onion half sitting flat side down on your cutting board and you'll see the lines running along it. That's the way you want to cut. When you're cutting, don't go through one end of the onion (I usually lop off the root end and then leave a wee sliver at the top, which wastes a little but gently caress it, it's just onions) to keep everything together while you're working. Anyway, lots of really thin slices along the grain of the onion. Then cut slices parallel to the cutting board. This is all just basic onion cutting, but I'm being complete here. After you've done this, you cut perpendicular to the first series of cuts, spacing them so the final bits of onion are about as long as the bowl of a teaspoon. If you've done it right, all of the pieces will be pretty much the same size. This sounds fiddly, but seriously, getting everything cut consistently is a huge loving part of getting perfectly-carmelised onions.

Now melt some butter in a stockpot. Or if you have a fuckoff big sauté you can use that. Use a low, low, no seriously loving low heat. Keep the loving onions moving. I mean if you just want your onions eh, yeah they're carmelised I guess you can let them fend for themselves. But best? Best means you're going to have to do some work so keep those fuckers moving. Starting out you don't have to pay that much attention. They'll start sweating liquid. If the liquid builds up you can increase the heat a touch. Just a touch. Seriously, if you're going to bother going through all this effort don't gently caress it up here. What you want is for the onions to just be starting to get brown after an hour or so. Seriously. You said best. I'm giving you best, and if you want them even and perfectly carmelised it's going to take several hours. If your onions get browned faster than this, you're not carmelising and you're not getting the best carmelised onions you can get.

Eventually, after a couple hours if you're doing it right, all of the liquid will start evaporating off and the onions won't be sweating any more. You need to watch them like a loving hawk at this point. A loving hawk that wants the best carmelised onions. Because they'll go from being `loving perfect' to `useless garbage' quicker than pr0k's Mom's panties dropping once they start to dry out.

Chances are you'll gently caress this up a couple times before you get it right. And if you're looking at all of that and it makes you tired just reading it and you figure you can do something else in less time and that's good enough---more power to ya. I completely loving understand. I don't carmelise onions the way I just described every time I want some carmelised onions. But if you want the best loving carmelised onions you've ever had, that's what you want to do.

Or at least I hosed around trying a shitload of different ways to carmelise onions for soupe à l'oignon, and that's the best way I've ever tried.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

The straining I've heard both that it's required and that it's not. I haven't strained any of mine so far. What's the deal with it? Is it just a texture thing or does having some crispy bits in there encourage decay?

Texture thing mostly. Just be sure you heat up the oil sufficiently that all water is boiled off. After that there's little chance at all of spoilage within a reasonable time, especially in a refrigerator.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

I drunkingly mentioned to my girlfriend that I have made pizza before and its way better for you than store pizza, so this is apparently now a thing I am beholden to create. What's everyone's favorite sauce recipe? She's going out and buying a stone because she is so drat excited at this prospect.

1 small onion, very finely diced
1 small carrot, peeled and very finely diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tin diced tomatoes
2 tbsp fresh basil leaves, picked and torn
½ tbsp dried oregano
Salt and pepper

Fry the onion, garlic and carrots in olive oil over a medium heat until softened (~5m)
Stir in the tomatoes and increase the heat to bring to the boil
Reduce the heat to medium and cook until thickened (~10m)
Stir in the basil and oregano and simmer for about 5m
Season and blend with an immersion blender
Allow to cool

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I'm making some pulled pork this weekend and I tried out making a BBQ sauce I found online but I'm not super happy with the results. It came out reaallllly sweet and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to salvage it. Something to tone it down a little bit. I was thinking some apple cider vinegar might help? I think it could use a touch of liquid smoke maybe as well. There's a decent amount of bourbon in there so I don't want to feel like I wasted it.

This is the recipe

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/the-award-losing-maple-bourbon-bbq-sauce/

quote:

2 cups brown sugar

2 teaspoon ginger

1 teaspoon cayenne

1/2 cup white wine vinegar

2/3 cup bourbon (Jim Beam preferred)

1/2 teaspoon salt

8 tablespoons maple vinegar (can substitute with 4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar mixed with 4 tablespoons of maple syrup)

2 tablespoon white sugar

2/3 cup maple syrup

1 cup ketsup

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Dacap fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 11, 2013

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Between the brown sugar and the maple syrup that's a lot of sweet.

Maybe cut the brown sugar out by 3/4 and add molasses to thicken as it will give you some sweet character but not as much as the sugar? This is what Ive done with some of my homemade sauces. For those I just kinda wing it though and start with vinegar / drippings from my pulled pork and add poo poo to taste.

If you want to fix what you've already made, roast up an onion or two and maybe a clove of garlic then just pulp that to poo poo in a food processor and boil it down with your sauce. Also, Worcestershire might be better than cider vinegar in this case of salvaging it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I'm making some pulled pork this weekend and I tried out making a BBQ sauce I found online but I'm not super happy with the results. It came out reaallllly sweet and I was wondering if there's anything I can do to salvage it. Something to tone it down a little bit. I was thinking some apple cider vinegar might help? I think it could use a touch of liquid smoke maybe as well. There's a decent amount of bourbon in there so I don't want to feel like I wasted it.

This is the recipe

http://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/the-award-losing-maple-bourbon-bbq-sauce/

Add in a ton of crushed red pepper and apple cider vinegar. That is an insane amount of sugar and honestly you are better off starting over.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yeah, in hindsight it's really a loving lot and I wished I had realized that before I wasted the whiskey in it. It tastes more like bourbon pancake syrup than bbq sauce. I think I'm just going to forget it and find a better recipe.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, I think the only way to potentially save it is to make a few batches worth of a different sauce recipe but omitting the sugar, then combining. But then you'd end up with like a gallon of barbecue sauce, so unless you have a use for a ton of sauce, then you'll probably just need to cut your losses.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I was given a couple of pieces of fuet sausage. They've been stored at room temperature for a few days (we were staying at a hotel over the weekend, my room didn't have a fridge and I doubt the person who gave me the sausages had one either) and now they've been in the fridge for half a day or so. I opened the packages now and one of them is a little bit moist on the surface, while the other one is dry. Should I throw away the moist one? Both? Eat both?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
dino. I just bought your cookbook, I'm dating a vegan who has no idea how to cook for herself. Looks good :)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

jkk posted:

I was given a couple of pieces of fuet sausage. They've been stored at room temperature for a few days (we were staying at a hotel over the weekend, my room didn't have a fridge and I doubt the person who gave me the sausages had one either) and now they've been in the fridge for half a day or so. I opened the packages now and one of them is a little bit moist on the surface, while the other one is dry. Should I throw away the moist one? Both? Eat both?

when you say you "opened the packages", do you mean something like these packages?
http://www.harpak-ulma.com/packaging-solutions/fresh-food-packaging/meat/cold-meat/fuet-sausage-packaging-in-flow-pack-wrapper-hffs
Or was it opened and cut already and the other person made their own package?

Cause, as far as I know, fuet suasages shouldn't be stored in the fridge (and that is what made it moist probably)

Anyway, if it was still sealed, I would eat it,
If it was previously chewed upon, I would toss it,
If it was previously cut, I'd toss the end and eat the rest (but I'm adventurous like that, so don't call me when you die)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 11, 2013

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

paraquat posted:

when you say you "opened the packages", do you mean something like these packages?
Or was it opened and cut already and the other person make their own package?

Cause, as far as I know, fuet suasages shouldn't be stored in the fridge (and that is what made it moist probably)

Did you mean to include a picture? Anyway, they were in plastic bags with the manufacturer's label on it, not vacuum packs or anything, just whole sausages in a loose plastic bag.

Didn't know it wasn't supposed to be stored in the fridge :downs:

Edit: yes, more or less like that

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

jkk posted:

Did you mean to include a picture? Anyway, they were in plastic bags with the manufacturer's label on it, not vacuum packs or anything, just whole sausages in a loose plastic bag.

Didn't know it wasn't supposed to be stored in the fridge :downs:

Edit: yes, more or less like that

sorry about that, I updated the post^^^(several times ;-) )

Blackish Sheep
Feb 3, 2007

Even cartoon me doesn't know what's going on.
I need some advice on a recipe.

I recently got it into my head to make home-made CLIF bar knockoffs for my boyfriend and I to bring to work (partly because I keep running out without breakfast and partly because my boyfriend goes to Pret everyday and gets a large cup, which he fills with cream and a tiny bit of coffee, and calls that lunch, which is disturbing). I went online and found this poorly written recipe and tried it out using peanut butter, honey, walnuts plus flax seeds for the chopped nuts, and chocolate chips for the dried fruit. It came out really dry, albeit tasty, but I wanted bars that would hold together! So I tried it again, this time with more peanut butter and honey but somehow it ended up even dryer! What the flying gently caress! Every time I end up with a pan full of peanut butter flavored granola that I have to eat with a fork like some kind of weirdo. I think it might be the peanut butter I'm using, which is Smuckers natural (the kind that you have to stir really well and put in the fridge so it doesn't separate). I use it cause it doesn't have hydrogenated oils and poo poo in there but it's really really thick. Is there a way to make the peanut butter I have more creamy without adding more honey?

Also, if anyone's interested, I've come up with some recipe variations that sound really tasty but they are, as yet, untested. If anyone wants to try it and tell me how it turned out that would be awesome.

Swole Bar (chocolate): Sub 3 tablespoons whole flax seeds for chopped nuts, use peanut butter for the nut butter, dried blueberries or raspberries for the fruit, and add one heaping scoop of chocolate protein powder to the dry ingredients.

Swole Bar (vanilla): Sub 3 tablespoons whole flax seeds for chopped nuts, use almond butter for the nut butter, dried cherries for the fruit, and add one heaping scoop of vanilla protein powder to the dry ingredients.

Sweet Apple Pie: Use dried apples for the fruit, honey for the syrup, toasted walnuts or pecans for the nuts and add ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon to the dry ingredients.

Almond Joy: Use almonds for chopped nuts, shredded coconut for the fruit, almond butter for the nut butter, and sub almond extract for vanilla extract. After adding the combined ingredients to the pan, sprinkle the top with mini dark chocolate chips (be sure to press them in) or drizzle/dip the cut bars in melted dark chocolate.

Double Chocolate: Sub 2 tablespoons of coco powder for the fruit and press in chocolate chips once the ingredients are in the pan.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

How long would leftovers of a cooked london broil last in the fridge?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Blackish Sheep posted:

I need some advice on a recipe.
:protein bars:

Good Eats: protein bar episode

I'd give that a watch. You can ignore the last parts with his delicious marshmallow bar version, though (but it's pretty drat good).

Mixing in an egg would help set your bar, wouldn't it? edit:oops, I forgot about the no bake issue. Maybe add a little more oil or butter instead?

Honey and peanut butter only help set it when it's super cold, at best. Maybe follow the recipe but pack it down even harder? Also, I'd suggest you grind (if you don't already) the whole flaxseeds. Your body's more likely to digest all of it; it's so expensive.

Similar written recipe to Good Eats.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norville Rogers
Oct 17, 2004
Like, zoinks!

Orgophlax posted:

How long would leftovers of a cooked london broil last in the fridge?

5 days or until it starts smelling funny.