Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I'm still weighing the MacBook Air versus 13" Retina MBP. I'm now leaning toward waiting for the Haswell MBP refresh since I'll value performance more than I'll value battery life. I never run my 2011 MBA battery down as it is.

Same boat as you. Was hoping for a res bump in the 11" Air, but I just can't deal with 768 vertical pixels anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm definitely getting a 13" MBA. 128GB is fine for me considering I've only been using ~100GB on my laptop and that's with a bunch of games I don't play installed.

How are Apple's financing plans? Is it worth doing a 12 month payment plan or do I end up paying like $200 extra on it? I simply don't have the money upfront.

FWIW Best Buy offers the 2 basic configurations (128GB and 256GB) usually for macbooks. Their financing is 18 months (or 24 months if you spend enough) @ 0% interest. You can't get nerdy and build one exactly to order but if you can handle the configs they offer it's the best way to buy one imo.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The new Mac Pro is awful. :ugh: I really don't have much else to say about it other than I really can't see why you would use one.

It doesn't have internal PCI-X ports.
It isn't Professional looking.
It doesn't have internal optical bays.
They moved all expansion to external, which isn't what people using a pro want.

Why couldn't they have just fully updated the current look of the Mac Pro? It's iconic, looks professional, and it's upgradeable.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JP Money posted:

FWIW Best Buy offers the 2 basic configurations (128GB and 256GB) usually for macbooks. Their financing is 18 months (or 24 months if you spend enough) @ 0% interest. You can't get nerdy and build one exactly to order but if you can handle the configs they offer it's the best way to buy one imo.

I think I'll be fine with 128GB and 4GB of RAM considering my use case is web browsing and more web browsing, with the occasional game - and I don't really play AAA titles on my current laptop with a HD 6650M.

I hope my local Best Buy has educational discounts. Do you think they'll have the new MBA at the same time the Apple stores will?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

ratbert90 posted:

The new Mac Pro is awful. :ugh: I really don't have much else to say about it other than I really can't see why you would use one.

Why couldn't they have just fully updated the current look of the Mac Pro? It's iconic, looks professional, and it's upgradeable.

Didn't even notice the no optical bay. That's another strike, I've got to have one of those, contrary to what Apple wants you to think people do still want physical DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, and I don't want to have to gently caress around with external burners.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ratbert90 posted:

How is external expandability "not professional?" The original reason pro computers needed to be internally expandable is because there wasn't an external connection standard that could remotely touch internal I/O on speed or bandwidth. With Thunderbolt 2, that definitely isn't the case anymore. The old Mac Pro is gorgeous and made a ton of sense in a pre-Thunderbolt/pre-solid state world. It's also physically massive, loud, and a power hog.

Don't get me wrong- there's a lot that I dislike about what they showed off at WWDC (AMD GPUs?!). But to say that it doesn't make sense or "why would you use one?" is frankly ridiculous to me. Also, I think it looks dope as hell, but maybe that's just me.

eames
May 9, 2009

WWDC: the cube turned out to be a tube

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

From this picture:

It looks like you can put one SSD in each side that has a graphics card, for a total of 2.

Also, how the hell do they get it up to 1.25Gb/s? Must have RAID right on the drive.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 10, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I think I'll be fine with 128GB and 4GB of RAM considering my use case is web browsing and more web browsing, with the occasional game - and I don't really play AAA titles on my current laptop with a HD 6650M.

I hope my local Best Buy has educational discounts. Do you think they'll have the new MBA at the same time the Apple stores will?

No, they take longer to get them in my experience but not by a great amount. Best Buy also gets a set amount until they get restocked but as long as you're early you'll probably be fine and won't miss out. This release is during the summer so it should be easier to beat the back to school rush hopefully. I got kinda screwed waiting for Best Buy to stock the 13in Airs when I last bought one and I needed a laptop ASAP so I settled for the 11in. Hopefully they do better this time around as they were low on stock for quite a while during that release date. The hype has somewhat died down so I think this one should be better.

As far as educational discounts I think Best Buy just sells them at discounted pricing from the start. One bit of advice I can give is to go to your local store and get in touch with the Sales Rep they have working. The one local to me is a really nice guy and gave me his card if I had any problems. He can probably tip you off to how much stock they will be getting once he finds out but keep in mind he probably won't know until Apple decides to ship them to his store.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

From the standpoint of a non professional the new new Pro looks like some awesome crazy scifi thing. I like it a lot. I'd totally love to stare at that thing on my desk.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ratbert90 posted:

It doesn't have internal PCI-X ports
PCI-X ports? Haven't seen any of those since the PowerMac G5s! :haw:

Seriously though, the lack of any internal upgradility is somewhat disheartening but at least it's coming with TB2.0.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Gunjin posted:

Didn't even notice the no optical bay. That's another strike, I've got to have one of those, contrary to what Apple wants you to think people do still want physical DVDs and Blu-Ray discs, and I don't want to have to gently caress around with external burners.

I don't think Apple is going to ship a Blu-ray drive, and I'm not sure who would need an optical drive in a Mac Pro and be satisfied with a DVD-RW.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JP Money posted:

No, they take longer to get them in my experience but not by a great amount. Best Buy also gets a set amount until they get restocked but as long as you're early you'll probably be fine and won't miss out. This release is during the summer so it should be easier to beat the back to school rush hopefully. I got kinda screwed waiting for Best Buy to stock the 13in Airs when I last bought one and I needed a laptop ASAP so I settled for the 11in. Hopefully they do better this time around as they were low on stock for quite a while during that release date. The hype has somewhat died down so I think this one should be better.

As far as educational discounts I think Best Buy just sells them at discounted pricing from the start. One bit of advice I can give is to go to your local store and get in touch with the Sales Rep they have working. The one local to me is a really nice guy and gave me his card if I had any problems. He can probably tip you off to how much stock they will be getting once he finds out but keep in mind he probably won't know until Apple decides to ship them to his store.

It probably doesn't really matter since I still have to liquidate existing assets to afford it, since I don't want to go buy it without some capital to back it up. But that's cool on the discounted part.

Is it worth enrolling in a Best Buy card for it?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How is external expandability "not professional?" The original reason pro computers needed to be internally expandable is because there wasn't an external connection standard that could remotely touch internal I/O on speed or bandwidth. With Thunderbolt 2, that definitely isn't the case anymore. The old Mac Pro is gorgeous and made a ton of sense in a pre-Thunderbolt/pre-solid state world. It's also physically massive, loud, and a power hog.

Don't get me wrong- there's a lot that I dislike about what they showed off at WWDC (AMD GPUs?!). But to say that it doesn't make sense or "why would you use one?" is frankly ridiculous to me. Also, I think it looks dope as hell, but maybe that's just me.

I don't think fully external expansion is quite ready for prime time, look at how long it's taken to get the limited amount of T-bolt devices there are out, and upgrading every workstation to external expansion chassis is going to add a significant cost, especially to someone like a large post house with dozens of workstations who would need dozens of expansion chassis and probably dozens of new cards as well. Plus who knows how well adding T-bolt into existing infrastructure is even going to work. What if my fibre card doesn't like having to go through T-bolt first? I'm just not sure that this is an area where fully abandoning the existing way things are done is worth it. Look at the bath APple took when FCP was revamped into FCPX, I kind of think the same thing is going to happen here.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

cbirdsong posted:

I don't think Apple is going to ship a Blu-ray drive, and I'm not sure who would need an optical drive in a Mac Pro and be satisfied with a DVD-RW.

I've got a DVD burner and a Blu-ray burner in my Pro. The Blu-Ray is after market, but the current Pro has two optical bays that made it an easy and painless add on. I've never been a fan of external burners.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

It's at least 18 months with no interest so....yes. I mean even if you just plan on paying half now and half next month or something it's still interest free. Apple's Barclay card or whatever is only 12 months IIRC. No idea how hard it is to get either but I had basically no credit and BB approved me for at least 1500 or something - I haven't looked in quite a while at it.

You'd be getting 6 more months to pay at least if that kind of thing matters to you. Either way 0% financing is hard to argue with either card.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Gunjin posted:

Look at the bath APple took when FCP was revamped into FCPX, I kind of think the same thing is going to happen here.
FCX is pretty nice though.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Do we have any specs (or pricing) on the Mac Pro, other than hype like THUNDERBOLT 2 and the amazing THERMAL CORE? I'm trying to decide if I need to uproot my aging Mac Pro-based work/gaming rig and replace it with a new, non-Mac desktop.

e: Also, is there any word on how an external Thunderbolt 2-powered PCIe adapter would stack up to an internal PCI slot? One of the reasons I've been able to keep my current Mac Pro around as long as I have is because of continual graphics card upgrades, and if Thunderbolt 2 can't provide enough bandwidth for a top-end graphics card that's a big nail in the coffin.

blastron fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jun 10, 2013

eames
May 9, 2009

too easy?

https://twitter.com/_sa_sa__kama_/status/344152598846246913/photo/1

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

JP Money posted:

It's at least 18 months with no interest so....yes. I mean even if you just plan on paying half now and half next month or something it's still interest free. Apple's Barclay card or whatever is only 12 months IIRC. No idea how hard it is to get either but I had basically no credit and BB approved me for at least 1500 or something - I haven't looked in quite a while at it.

You'd be getting 6 more months to pay at least if that kind of thing matters to you. Either way 0% financing is hard to argue with either card.

And I shop at Best Buy enough to cash in rewards.

Cool. I'll start selling things ASAP. Got a shitload of laptops looking for a new home. Time to consolidate it all into one actually usable laptop.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

blastron posted:

Do we have any specs (or pricing) on the Mac Pro, other than hype like THUNDERBOLT 2 and the amazing THERMAL CORE? I'm trying to decide if I need to uproot my aging Mac Pro-based work/gaming rig and replace it with a new, non-Mac desktop.
Probably like 4 grand. It doesn't officially launch until the Fall so you're probably waiting on all official details until then.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I didn't say external expandability isn't professional, I said "They moved all expansion to external." Professionals don't want nor do they need 5 external hard drives laying on their desk when their PC should be able to house them all. Internal drives are safer inside your PC. It used to be faster, but with TB/USB3.0 that's not the case anymore.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

When they say '12 core CPU' do they mean 12 threads or dual hexacore CPU?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

One CPU more than likely. If it was dual core they would have had language that mean Dual processors 6 cores each.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

I have a real soft spot for the MacBook air and I'm really considering buying one with the new refresh. It'd be mostly for the portability, and with the upgrade to battery life its REALLY tempting. I'm interested in the 13" with 256 ssd. I literally JUST BOUGHT a mac mini, which I can probably turn around and sell on craigslist for close to retail. I'd be doing photoshop/unity work/gaming so I'm a little nervous about making the jump. I have a dell XPS 15 and it runs games really well. I'm thinking of using a new Air + monitor at home, and then I can take the air with me to work and bootcamp/windows.

Am I better off just sticking with my mini/Dell laptop or would the jump to the Air be worth it? I would gain a lot in portability and battery life but I feel like I'd lose a lot in terms of power.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Tom's Hardware posted:

Xeon E7 v2 and "Brickland" platform will be released in Q4 2013. These CPUs will incorporate up to 15 cores and up to 37.5 MB of L3 cache. The CPUs will have Hyper-threading technology enabled, as a result they will be able to execute up to 30 threads at once

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am digging the new Mac Pro.

I'm a professional, but I wouldn't have 5 external hard drives on my desk. I'd be connected to a Raid over gigabit ethernet, I don't need the storage in the machine.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Apple's site says:

quote:

The new Mac Pro is muscle through and through, starting with the new-generation Intel Xeon E5 chipset.

That's not the same as the E7 chip, then? Or the E7 is an upgrade and the base is a quad or something?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 10, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Bob Morales posted:

That's not the same as the E7 chip, then? Or the E7 is an upgrade and the base is a quad or something?
I'd assume that since the wording for Apple's site says starting with and the separately it mentions up to 12 cores, that the base model will be an E5 and the expanded offerings having the E7.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

The new Mac Pro is awful. :ugh: I really don't have much else to say about it other than I really can't see why you would use one. Why couldn't they have just fully updated the current look of the Mac Pro? It's iconic, looks professional, and it's upgradeable.
Coming from broadcast (if the two joints I worked at are any indication), the majority of the high-end creatives are _just_ starting to trickle their most senior designers toward HP workstations (if they choose to) in lieu of the no-new-MacPro, but 90% are using 2-4 year old GPUs / CPUs, want their Mac Pros pried from their cold, dead fingers. It's OS X. The question was not "let's replace the Macs", it was, "who gets who's older Macs" despite the fact that money wasn't really an object... Rest assured this is a major upgrade for those who care.

Gunjin posted:

I don't think fully external expansion is quite ready for prime time [...] What if my fibre card doesn't like having to go through T-bolt first?
Yep, #1 question. If this is easily solved it's gogogo. I wish they would have put a fiber card in it. Can't exactly lay Thunderbolt repeaters everywhere?

Also- does this mean the MacPro-as-server is undeniably dead? Why buy a server cylinder with 2 GPUs you'll never use? Oh, right- the Mac Mini. Except those don't have fiber adapter terminals either... Hmm.

kuskus fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 10, 2013

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

Also, how the hell do they get it up to 1.25Gb/s? Must have RAID right on the drive.

Yes, some of the higher end PCI SSD cards basically see their storage as two separate disks in a RAID-0. At least I think that's how it works.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
So are professionals with $4,000 to spend on a computer actually using optical drives and expansion cards? Seems like a modern professional would have his work station connected to the internal network with most data being stored redundantly on a server. He would be interacting with other specialty devices that are also connected to the network.

Modern: user <-> network <-> everything else

90s: everything else <-> user <-> everything else

So in the modern era you interact with everything through the network and don't need expansion or fifty drives on your desk. Just enough storage for local storage and some gigabit network connections.

In the 90s you interacted with everything through your workstation so you needed all your cables, drives and expansion cards to work with legacy equipment. Sometimes you would manually back up to a remote server.

I think Apple made the right choice to ditch the "pros" with archaic set-ups. There's no future there and they're better off with a giant work station running windows 95. I know in my environment I have proprietary hardware connected to crappy windows machines that are set-up specifically to drive that hardware (static software image). Those machines are then connected to the network and I use my mini to interact with all those pieces of hardware over the network. I wouldn't want to be directly connected to all that legacy garbage and have to worry about breaking ten things with every software or hardware update on my workstation.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 10, 2013

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

cowofwar posted:

So are professionals with $4,000 to spend on a computer actually using optical drives and expansion cards?

In a single word: Yes.

Your entire post is completely inaccurate. Plain ole Gb networking is not fast enough for jack poo poo.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I guess it all depends on whether Thunderbolt sticks or not.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I like the new Airport Extreme design; current design, I bet a lot of signal is just slamming against the RF shielding, it only makes sense to elevate antennas out of the way. Instead of being literally mounted right on the lip of the internal chassis. Of course, the new AEBS is now mostly empty space...

Yeah, the new Mac Pro definitely gives me Cube vibes, except the fan is now on the top. Making every part share one giant heatsink does make more sense. Lucky Steve's not around to bark that 'No fans!' bullshit.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Does protools hd even do thunderbolt for the big systems? I thought they were all still internal.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
From MacRumors:

Apple Posts 27" Retina iMac-Sized OS X Mavericks Background

I can't wait for that.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Avid has Thunderbolt for HD native but not HDX yet, and Apogee has it for Ensemble.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Q: what is the most robust case for a Macbook Air? A very klutzy friend wants to buy one; she relies on her max-strength Otterbox to protect her iphone and wants something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I'm trying to decide if Applecare is worth 170 $ extra or not. As I understand it I can buy Applecare within 1 year of buying the computer. According to norvegian laws, I'll get the computer fixed free for stuff that isn't my fault for 5 years. Does Applecare cover stuff like spilling water on it? It also looks like Applecare will fix it in other countries too, is that correct?