Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
Just watched the season finale, I was really happy they put Arya's coin trick in, I was starting to wonder how they were going to do her whole "become an assassin" plot when she never kills anyone. Davis and Stannis stuff was great, there's been a major lack of them this season, and they really should have ended the season there, with Stannis deciding to head to the wall. But no, Dany had to crowd surf on some slaves to try to trick show watchers that her plot is going anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Going to poo poo is still going somewhere.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nothus posted:

At least the show will provide some kind of resolution. If fully expect GRRM to drop dead on-stage at FantasyCon 2018 shortly after admitting he's only 2/3 of the way through WoW.

Looking to HBO for resolution is just another way of shopping for pain. The more successful the show is, the less incentive HBO has to end it. And once it stops making money, they have no incentive to wrap it up.

By the way that is GLORIOUS if GRRM thinks they will delay this show for his slow rear end. The Theon storyline in the show is already pulling from ADWD right, or just FOC? Brans quest north of the wall is ADWD?

I'll bet they cut out the ironborn poo poo, and Victorian's quest to get Dany is reduced to him being one of Asha's liutenants or something. Or poo poo, maybe they just cut it entirely.

OMG they have to introduce Dorne next season don't they! Because TV watchers definitely need a new faction to keep track of lol. Can't wait to see the art direction. I'm hoping for sombreros.

edit

Torquemadras posted:

And ZombieGregor versus ChurchDude/Sandor.

goddamnit this never even occured to me.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 11, 2013

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm just hoping that Dorne is Spanish as all gently caress and we get nothing but vaguely racist "Mexian Soap Opera" comments on it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

kcroy posted:

I'll bet they cut out the ironborn poo poo, and Victorian's quest to get Dany is reduced to him being one of Asha's liutenants or something. Or poo poo, maybe they just cut it entirely.

OMG they have to introduce Dorne next season don't they! Because TV watchers definitely need a new faction to keep track of lol. Can't wait to see the art direction. I'm hoping for sombreros.

This reminds me: I can't be the only one who was hoping Yara's "saving Theon" montage would end with a cut to her seeing Balon fall off a bridge to his death resulting in the cancellation of her voyage.

I also look forward to much confusion around the Martells and the Tyrells.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chinston Wurchill posted:

This reminds me: I can't be the only one who was hoping Yara's "saving Theon" montage would end with a cut to her seeing Balon fall off a bridge to his death resulting in the cancellation of her voyage.

I also look forward to much confusion around the Martells and the Tyrells.

with like the "record pulled off the record player" scratching sound at the end? woulda been awesome.

Mr. Boogie
Apr 1, 2013

Is a meat patty something or nothing?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

So kind of like Theon's inspirational speech at Winterfell ending with him being knocked over the head? I'd totally be on board for that.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

How are u posted:

:siren:
"The Others" is what I've heard the White Walkers are called in the b--ks, so I'd go ahead and throw wonderful forums user "MVP" on ignore because he seems to be one of the bad people.

e: seriously, you can't go around saying "let's speculate!" and then refer to loving white walkers by their book name. :getout:

Holy poo poo is this off season shaping up to be amazing. I really and truly cannot tell if shitdicks like this are simply trolling for mod action at this point.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Particularly that the post in question was literally this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdA6lQ6ymhU
level of idiotic speculation

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Nothus posted:

At least the show will provide some kind of resolution. I fully expect GRRM to drop dead on-stage at FantasyCon 2018 shortly after admitting he's only 2/3 of the way through WoW.

But was it an accident... Or was he murdered?!

Maybe I'm just tired but I can't stop laughing at the thought of an entire crowd of dorks screaming as one and tearing a confused old man in a sailor outfit to pieces.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Particularly that the post in question was literally this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdA6lQ6ymhU
level of idiotic speculation

Jesus gently caress that was embarrassing to watch.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

Jesus gently caress that was embarrassing to watch.

Remember when book readers wanted this to be a hit hbo series?

Remember when we wanted ADWD to finally come out?

Well, the cursed monkey paw has two closed fingers now. What else would you like?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

You're crying out for a fisting joke but I'm drawing a blank.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

kcroy posted:

goddamnit this never even occured to me.

Cleganebowl, get hype.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

The Riddle of Feel posted:

You're drying out for a fisting bloke but I'm jawing a crank.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Remember when book readers wanted this to be a hit hbo series?

Remember when we wanted ADWD to finally come out?

Well, the cursed monkey paw has two closed fingers now. What else would you like?

You're crying out for a fisting joke but I'm drawing a blank.

So, whatever the Game of Bones version of Stannis is, instead of using leeches, he should use a cursed monkey's paw to kill the A Game of Bones versions of Robb, Balon and Joffrey. The catch is that by the end of it, he's the one who gets fisted with it.

EDIT: How is A Clash of Cocks coming?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is there any football on?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/george-r-r-martin-kills-off-whole-family,32767/

There is an amazing and Gurmy short story waiting to be told in the middle of this.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
So I've been thinking that the HBO people who greenlit this poo poo are the Wildest Cards of them all. They lure GURM will fame/money get him to spill the beans on how it ends (actual ending must be terrible) then they proceed to just cut entirely important but must be unimportant parts of the story to show how much time GURM wastes on his world building. Then GURM has the audacity to ask them to slow down, this is when HBO reveals there plan all along. They will poo poo on his "legacy" by finishing his stupid story. And then GURM will surely say that isn't how I really was going to end things, but will promptly be found dead face down in a pool of ricotta cheese. And if by some miracle he manages to finish the books no one will loving buy them.

Bravo HBO

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'll be pissed if HBO finishes the story first, since I know I wouldn't be able to resist watching and I'd rather read the books first.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'll laugh if the show finishes the story first and there's some bizarre battle between GRRM and HBO about whether he can even finish the books himself or if they'll just hand it off to some niche writer to novelize based off the show. I'll be honest and say as much as I enjoy GRRM's writing, he's just a fairly middling author who stumbled into something awesome and has been drowning in it since. ASoIaF is simply beyond what he's capable of, and these meandering books and his own admitted gently caress-ups in handling it are proof that he's not good enough to write these books anymore.

This is not to say "herp derp, get Sanderson" because that guy has his own problems, but GRRM is bad news for this series now. He needs a ghost writer and an especially hard-nosed editor who isn't afraid of making harsh cuts to The Legend's immaculate prose.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

When it comes down to it, I'm still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, just because Feast/Dance were never planned. If he doesn't get back on track by halfway through Winds though, gently caress him, just give me the show, HBO, and let me get some closure on this story I started 15 loving years ago.

EDIT: I'm also guessing his publisher will be leaning on him heavily, because if the show does overtake the books, that's some massive amount of cash they'll probably be losing out on.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I'll be pissed if HBO finishes the story first, since I know I wouldn't be able to resist watching and I'd rather read the books first.

Then, each time a book came out, we would have to endure the Worst Thread buying us spoiler avatars (for events that may have only been show-only), "speculating" about what might happen, and declaring this thread full of poors who can't afford to witness the subtle and sublime acting prowess of Emilia Clarke in the scene where she squats in a field and sprays poo poo everywhere (so much better than the book version, obviously) in the critically-acclaimed series "Game of Thrones" on the premium cable network Home Box Office. :chord:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Shageletic posted:

To be fair, I felt a little uncomfortable myself. And to be fair to that, I felt that reading the continuing adventures of Khaleesi, Brown Savior.

Just finished the series! It was incredibly unsatisfying! Oh, its all merging. The feeling of increasing internal shits at the mention of this damned series. Its all downhill from here. They think they're disappointed NOW....

Its the singucrapity my friends

Woah woah woah, back up there Sir. I have no qualms about Kalincoln bitching, but rather they are missing the elephant in the room: the fact that Dany's whole storiline sucks sloppy wet diarrhea. The slavers IIRC are the same race as the slaves, in any event.

If the gurm killed her off in the first chapter of the next never-to-be-completed-book, I'd sleep like a babby.

Going to poo poo is still going somewhere.

"Going to" suggests movement. :colbert:

bowel movement

kcroy posted:

I am convinced that Westeros is north and south america, but flipped vertically. Wildlings are the mexicans (obviously, what with the wall and the attempt to keep them from taking are jorbs), and Dorne will be Canadians.

Junkenstein posted:

When it comes down to it, I'm still prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, just because Feast/Dance were never planned.

The gently caress is this you say?
"Not Planned" meaning him stating that the next book is nearly complete, then a couple years later saying he wrote so much that it needed to be split but only half the book appears, followed by a couple more years till we see the other half of the cast? Is that what you mean by "never planned"?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 11, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
quoteedit

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I'll be honest and say as much as I enjoy GRRM's writing, he's just a fairly middling author who stumbled into something awesome and has been drowning in it since.

As much as this is the Bad Thread and we shouldn't say poo poo like this, you haven't read nearly enough middling authors if you're calling GRRM a middling author. He is Genuinely Very Good At Writing. Whether he can plot and pace as well as his ambition demands is up for debate but he's been at his craft a long time and it shows.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

He's a middling erotic author.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Aww man, that sure is a bummer that from pre-production of season one to the proposed finale they gave you 8 years to write 2 books and you wasted 4 of them on blogging about the Jets.

Or, technically, 14 years to write 2 you expanded into 3.

Or, even more technically, 17 years to write 2 that you expanded into 4.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 11, 2013

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

equity posted:

He's a middling erotic author.

Granted. The boners are all shameful.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

We have cum full circle

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Fargo Fukes posted:

As much as this is the Bad Thread and we shouldn't say poo poo like this, you haven't read nearly enough middling authors if you're calling GRRM a middling author. He is Genuinely Very Good At Writing. Whether he can plot and pace as well as his ambition demands is up for debate but he's been at his craft a long time and it shows.

Lots of people have been at their craft for a long time and don't enjoy nearly the kind of success GRRM has; many of them are capable of finishing their work on time, too. For how thoroughly he's poo poo the bed on this series and how thin his output is, I'd put him firmly in the flat part of the bell curve. He's an average writer who popped out his handful of Good Books all at once and has been coasting since.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
All he had to do was for once in the last 10 years take his story loving seriously and get some work done and whether or not the ending was good or satisfying most people would have cemented him as one of the greatest authors. Now HBO will get all the credit. People will always wonder if GURM just penned and expounded on the ending HBO wrote. The best part is that this reality is starting to sink him for the GURM.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Koirhor posted:

All he had to do was for once in the last 10 years take his story loving seriously and get some work done and whether or not the ending was good or satisfying most people would have cemented him as one of the greatest authors. Now HBO will get all the credit. People will always wonder if GURM just penned and expounded on the ending HBO wrote. The best part is that this reality is starting to sink him for the GURM.

At this point, he could just pay somebody to bang out the final books and I doubt we'd ever notice. Wait. Did gurm steal asoiaf from somebody? :tinfoil:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Fargo Fukes posted:

Meh. He's OK. I'm looking at my bookshelf and I wouldn't put GRRM above most of them in terms of craft; and there's some real dogs in my collection. Sure, he's written a number of exceptional passages, but any competent author is going to come up with some gems if allowed to churn out a kajillion pages. Monkeys and typewriters.

He had a great story, poo poo got tough, and he punted.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Koirhor posted:

George R R Martin is not your bitch. and I can thoroughly enjoy what he's made while understanding fully that it's his right to just say "gently caress all of you" and stop writing if he wants to. I'm astounded how loving whiney this thread is.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

:newlol:

You linked to Gaiman's blog, oh my god, the hilarity has bubbled back up to the surface and I cannot breathe anymore oh gently caress

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Can we please not discuss GRRM saying "gently caress all of you" and stopping writing? I feel like saying that spoils the fact that he hasn't done it already and I would've liked to have found that out on my own. Thanks in advance.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I can't believe my theory about other people in Westeros hearing about the RED WEDDING and reacting to it came true. This show is so well done. This is why we watch!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Meh. He's OK. I'm looking at my bookshelf and I wouldn't put GRRM above most of them in terms of craft; and there's some real dogs in my collection. Sure, he's written a number of exceptional passages, but any competent author is going to come up with some gems if allowed to churn out a kajillion pages. Monkeys and typewriters.

He had a great story, poo poo got tough, and he punted.

Yeah, of all the authors I know GRRM's prose writing most closely resembles Ed Greenwood's. He's got a bunch of the same faux-medieval affectations in his style and similar creepy sexual preoccupations too. There's a GRRM short story in the 'Other Worlds Than These' anthology that really highlights this well.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'd gladly wait several extra years if that meant avoiding another AFFC/ADWD mixup of chapters.

Note that my statement does not presume a finite number of years to wait

...though seriously, there's no rushing things. I'd like George R.R. Martin to take as much time as he wants until the books are as good as he thinks they're gonna get. And I'm gonna live longer than GURM anyway, so I can afford patience.