Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

the jizz taxi posted:

I realise it's more normal when playing against another country, but something that struck me while I was in the US three years ago was that there are motherfucking flags everywhere. Like, you can't turn a corner someplace and see the Stars & Stripes hanging from a building, planted in a corner or used as part of a logo design. I even saw buildings with multiple flags. I understand that Americans are pretty chauvinist, but I never saw that amount of national flags in the United Kingdom or France - also both chauvinist nations. Or is it a reminder to very dim people that they are in America? It can't be that either, can it?

I'm in San Francisco and I don't see US flags anywhere. There are rainbow flags in the Castro and you'll see some Giants flags though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

(Poster, not a macro)

I love Jesus' massive oversized keyboard with 1" wide buttons.

He's from 1st Century Galilee and speaks only ancient Aramaic dude, you realize how loving hard it was to even get him in front of that computer without him trying to exorcise it or whatever?!

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

xxEightxx posted:

Hope my grainy picture comes through
it sure did, and completely annihilated any and every table in its path

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm in San Francisco and I don't see US flags anywhere. There are rainbow flags in the Castro and you'll see some Giants flags though.

Maybe it's different from city to city. I was in Chicago.

Or you've grown so accustomed to flags that you don't notice them anymore.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Handbags. What are they? We just dont know.

Oh wait, now we do.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DarkCrawler posted:

He's from 1st Century Galilee and speaks only ancient Aramaic dude, you realize how loving hard it was to even get him in front of that computer without him trying to exorcise it or whatever?!

He got with the times:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

the jizz taxi posted:

Maybe it's different from city to city. I was in Chicago.

I haven't been into the US, but they seem to do pretty much the same thing with maple leaves in Canada. It's weird. Practically every business incorporates it into their logo.

Hydrolith has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Jun 12, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I was just recently thinking about how I don't really notice the flags a lot anymore, but they are everywhere. Maybe there were fewer flags before 9/11? Can't remember too well.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The flags are everywhere. Nobody notices them anymore. Nobody but me. One day there'll be nothing, the next, a flag. Sometimes I ask people. I ask my neighbors. Nobody remembers putting them there. It doesn't seem to bother them. Some flags, you can predict. Places like sporting fields, gun stores, schools, they have the most. Once, I found a small gun shop down in Arkansas with no flag. I tried to camp out outside it to see who would place the flag. I don't remember what happened next. I woke up a week later in my bed with a slight headache and a polaroid on my nightstand. It was a photo of me by that store. Written on the bottom, in bold, imposing, lettering was "DON'T."

I don't notice the flags anymore.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I believe my comment came because a few weeks ago I was looking out a car window at a fast food place outside Monticello, New York, and it had a big flagpole with a huge American flag and landscaping around the base. I thought to myself that it was a tad ridiculous, that sort of flag display outside a Wendy's or whatever it was. I'm not against gratuitous displays of patriotism at all, but it looked to me like something you'd see outside of a big post office or in front of a military facility. Then of course I remembered that there are flag displays like that all over. There really are.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Nanomashoes posted:

The flags are everywhere. Nobody notices them anymore. Nobody but me. One day there'll be nothing, the next, a flag. Sometimes I ask people. I ask my neighbors. Nobody remembers putting them there. It doesn't seem to bother them. Some flags, you can predict. Places like sporting fields, gun stores, schools, they have the most. Once, I found a small gun shop down in Arkansas with no flag. I tried to camp out outside it to see who would place the flag. I don't remember what happened next. I woke up a week later in my bed with a slight headache and a polaroid on my nightstand. It was a photo of me by that store. Written on the bottom, in bold, imposing, lettering was "DON'T."

Very nicely done.

To contribute, one I took at work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

xxEightxx posted:

US mens team in the World Cup qualifier against panama faces the wrong way during the national anthem

What's the correct way to face?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

xxEightxx posted:

[a picture the size of the drat stadium]

Hope my grainy picture comes through, US mens team in the World Cup qualifier against panama faces the wrong way during the national anthem

No they're not. They're facing the flag that's on the field, not the one on the pole above it.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

the jizz taxi posted:

I realise it's more normal when playing against another country, but something that struck me while I was in the US three years ago was that there are motherfucking flags everywhere. Like, you can't turn a corner someplace and see the Stars & Stripes hanging from a building, planted in a corner or used as part of a logo design. I even saw buildings with multiple flags. I understand that Americans are pretty chauvinist, but I never saw that amount of national flags in the United Kingdom or France - also both chauvinist nations. Or is it a reminder to very dim people that they are in America? It can't be that either, can it?

Yes, there are many more flags on display here in the US than in some other countries, but it's not as unique (or bellicose) as you make it seem. Have you been to Switzerland? Flags everywhere. Germany, not so much. The Philippines is full of flags, but not Japan. Like many things here, the flag has been commodified and if you look you'll notice that the vast majority of flags are flying on corporate buildings. Hell, it's practically law that car dealerships have to have the largest flags available because they catch your eye. Flags on homes are unusual outside of certain holidays like Memorial Day or the 4th of July. Also, nice red text.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Wax Dynasty posted:

Yes, there are many more flags on display here in the US than in some other countries, but it's not as unique (or bellicose) as you make it seem. Have you been to Switzerland? Flags everywhere. Germany, not so much. The Philippines is full of flags, but not Japan. Like many things here, the flag has been commodified and if you look you'll notice that the vast majority of flags are flying on corporate buildings. Hell, it's practically law that car dealerships have to have the largest flags available because they catch your eye. Flags on homes are unusual outside of certain holidays like Memorial Day or the 4th of July. Also, nice red text.

You're right, I also noticed it in Switzerland. But then, the Swiss are really nationalist.

My guess is that Germany and Japan downplay flag nationalism a bit for obvious reasons.

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Wax Dynasty posted:

Have you been to Switzerland? Flags everywhere.

Spotted in Ohio Amish country, a McDonald's flying the Swiss flag.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

I just woke up, and I sat staring at this for at least thirty seconds thinking, "Is there some sort of pun here? Obi Wan Leekobi? Obi Wan Kenoleek? That doesn't make any sense. What do they call leeks in other languages?" Christ.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If I wanted to hear a boring flag derail I'd go to the flag store at the Mall of America and casually drop the line "Betsy Ross wasn't all that".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

I just woke up, and I sat staring at this for at least thirty seconds thinking, "Is there some sort of pun here? Obi Wan Leekobi? Obi Wan Kenoleek? That doesn't make any sense. What do they call leeks in other languages?" Christ.

Leek Skywalker?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rollersnake posted:

It's Leek Skywalker.

e: ^Oh for poo poo's sake.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Yes, I eventually came to that realization, thanks.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

the jizz taxi posted:

That is precisely it. We are a nation of flag hags.

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

Nanomashoes posted:

I've enjoyed your retelling. Thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

benito posted:

Spotted in Ohio Amish country, a McDonald's flying the Swiss flag.

Berne, Indiana has "Swiss Days" every year where they celebrate their association with a sister city. I'm sure other small towns do the same.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Rollersnake posted:

Leek Skywalker.

edit: and thats what happen when i forget to refresh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVrIyEu6h_E

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

the jizz taxi posted:

My guess is that Germany and Japan downplay flag nationalism a bit for obvious reasons.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Helicity posted:

If I wanted to hear a boring flag derail I'd go to the flag store at the Mall of America and casually drop the line "Betsy Ross wasn't all that".

Is he seeing the British and French flags?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

Do you think he meant country matters?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

oh god a humon comic

This loving sucks

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

CobiWann posted:

No, he's seeing a Brazilian.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Do you think he meant country matters?

Aye, there's a fair thought.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Konar posted:

This loving sucks

Why don't they have those at the costco I go to? Now I want a giant jar of nutella. The diabetes would be worth it. :colbert:

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
A woman found a razor blade in a Burger King burger, and a local news station helpfully demonstrates the concept:

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Masa posted:

A woman found a razor blade in a Burger King burger, and a local news station helpfully demonstrates the concept:

Someone at the station really wanted a burger but didn't want to pay for it. "We need a stunt burger"

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

bringmyfishback posted:

I am sure there is a good reason for this, but ti still makes me laugh.

They learnt their lesson from the incident with the 99 luftballons.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

hazza posted:

They learnt their lesson from the incident with the 99 luftballons.

Dude, last page.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Dude, last page.

God...DAMMIT. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of