Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He was just cutting Big Al's beard.

Right after he said "I could loving kill you right now".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the reason they do it is that, at least in ye olde days, one guy rushing the ring could turn into a riot if that one guy wasn't immediately stomped and made to look like an idiot. That would work out terribly in court, I'm sure.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

iLikeMidgets posted:

What's the story on this?

MMA God-King Tank Abbott and former bodyguard Big Al faced off in a "Leather Jacket on a Pole" match, wherein Abbott put a knife to Big Al's throat after defeating him, saying "I could loving kill you".

I'm so sorry I can't find you a video. Tony Schiavone suggested Tank may have been trying to shave Big Al's beard (he did not have a beard).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Huntington Beach Bad Boy Tank Abbott ask permission to bring a weapon with him for the post-match beatdown. WCW assumed he meant anything other than a knife and gave him permission. As soon as he puts it to Al's neck they switch cameras and try to play it off

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I had forgotten about this. Hall loving stomps him in the head repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq2XB9tDdm8

The best part about this is Hall still does wrestling style stomps.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro is on in 50 minutes

http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

We're watching the 5-13-96 Nitro and then a special Nitro from 1995!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i am not ready for next week's observer back issues

cool-haired luke
May 13, 2012

by T. Finninho

DrVenkman posted:

Elix Skipper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqgz8OPK4ug

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There's no way some jagoff rushing the stage at any live event is going to have much of a case in court seeing as how they're basically trespassing and definitely interfering with a multimillion dollar production. If they did try to go for one of those, "I fell through your window when trying to break into your house. gently caress you. Pay me." suits, there's no way in hell they'd have better lawyers than Turner or WWE.

Those frivolous lawsuits that were reported on constantly in the 90s were mostly myths. They'd report that somebody was suing somebody for something stupid and go on to be laughed out of court, then the story would be telephone-gamed to death until "Some guy just got ten million dollars for suing the guy he was trying to murder!" In some cases, the story was laughed off despite legitimate complaint. The woman who sued McDonald's for spilling coffee on herself, for instance, was given coffee literally hot enough to graft her loving labia to her leg.

Also, if you've been drinking, you're in the wrong in the eyes of the police pretty much no matter what. Get hit by a guy doing 80 in a 30 and you just left a bar? Your drat fault. Shouldn't've been drinking. Have one beer and get rear-ended by somebody sober? Your fault, despite rear-enders being almost universally at fault in other cases.

So a drunk person interrupting a live show and potentially attacking a performer who gets curb-stomped to hell and back isn't going to be able to put together much of a case.

Edit: Should and shouldn't aren't the same thing.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 12, 2013

Judeccahedron
Jan 2, 2009

Yo Eleven posted:

Chameleon was a Nitro Girl who then became The Cat's valet/assistant.

"Primetime" Elix Skipper had the best theme song in WCW, it was a custom version of "Party up" by DMX saying stuff like "y'all all know who built this house / Primetime did, Primetime did." He was part of Lance Storm's Team Canada!

Then near the end of WCW proper, he teamed up with a guy called Kid Romeo who had a knock-off of "The Cup of Life" by Ricky Martin. Also, I think before he was in Team Canada, he was called "Skip Over"

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I'm trying to find the time Vince got pelted in the face by something, a drink I think, but I can't find it.

There's a Botchamania that has a clip of Scott Hall getting pegged in the side of the head by a full plastic cup during an nWo promo. His reaction is great, he just totally no-sells it, grins and slicks his hair back while Heenan cracks up and yells "Great shot!"

Damned if I can remember which one it is though, there really needs to be a master index of what gets shown in which episode.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Yo Eleven posted:

"Primetime" Elix Skipper had the best theme song in WCW, it was a custom version of "Party up" by DMX saying stuff like "y'all all know who built this house / Primetime did, Primetime did." He was part of Lance Storm's Team Canada!

He was the 100 Kilos Or Under champion! :canada: Also holy poo poo, I just went on youtube to be nostalgic at videos of Team Canada and I didn't even remember PCO was in that stable. Weird as hell, I think I just blocked all of his non-IWS stuff out of my mind.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I was always so sad that WWE didn't just re-create Team Canada on Raw. The UnAmericans were close, but gently caress that name sucked, and they never did capitalize on how over they were.

I feel like WCW pushed Team Canada perfectly, they weren't held back at all.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

triplexpac posted:

I was always so sad that WWE didn't just re-create Team Canada on Raw. The UnAmericans were close, but gently caress that name sucked, and they never did capitalize on how over they were.

I feel like WCW pushed Team Canada perfectly, they weren't held back at all.

Yeah, but the UnAmericans had Regal, so it was better by default.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The stuff with Lance Storm is one of the highlights of late WCW. At first they were using him perfectly and he was getting over. Then they WCWed it and it went to hell with Jim Duggan and him hitting the glass ceiling.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The idea that at one point Lance Storm was carrying around three titles boggles the mind.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

The idea that at one point Lance Storm was carrying around three titles boggles the mind.

If Russo had gone through with his original plan, you'd have been more boggled. He challenged Booker T one night for the WCW title and the original plan was for Lance to win the title.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

El Gallinero Gros posted:

If Russo had gone through with his original plan, you'd have been more boggled. He challenged Booker T one night for the WCW title and the original plan was for Lance to win the title.

I still remember that match, I was so stoked for it too. It was a great way to capitalize on Lance's momentum.

That's something that's missing from wrestling these days, the upper midcard guys that could realistically have title matches.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Very true. poo poo, we're at the point where even guys that have had world titles can't realistically have title matches. If The Miz or Dolph Ziggler are facing Cena or Orton, everyone knows they can't hang.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

triplexpac posted:

I still remember that match, I was so stoked for it too. It was a great way to capitalize on Lance's momentum.

That's something that's missing from wrestling these days, the upper midcard guys that could realistically have title matches.
That's only missing from WWE. There are ten guys at least in TNA who could realistically challenge for the title. And should. And should win. And should kill Aces and 8s.

Also, the period you're talking about was when Russo was out with a concussion and Johnny Ace was booking. As soon as Russo returned, Storm gave his belts away and was buried in a sea of stupid booking.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

That's only missing from WWE. There are ten guys at least in TNA who could realistically challenge for the title. And should. And should win. And should kill Aces and 8s.

Also, the period you're talking about was when Russo was out with a concussion and Johnny Ace was booking. As soon as Russo returned, Storm gave his belts away and was buried in a sea of stupid booking.

What? No there aren't.

AJ for sure. Hardy. Maybe James Storm. Who the hell else could get a title match, announced tomorrow, and win without it being a huge shock or an incredibly stupid heel/heel dynamic?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

You have to have a TNA-fuelled very very very liberal definition of 'realistically' for that statement to work. I hope Hogan is included in that ten.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

flashy_mcflash posted:

I hope Hogan is included in that ten.

He actually takes up the first 6.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I'm surprised they don't just sign Bully Ray so Cena can literally fight and triumph over bullying.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What? No there aren't.

AJ for sure. Hardy. Maybe James Storm. Who the hell else could get a title match, announced tomorrow, and win without it being a huge shock or an incredibly stupid heel/heel dynamic?

James Storm would need some serious rebuilding to ever challenge for the WWE title, or even the WHC after how TNA has booked him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
TNA doesn't even have 10 guys that could realistically main event a program against Bully Ray, let alone win the strap and be taken seriously as the top guy. They don't even have 10 that could realistically be used as fodder to be fed to BR, as part of the buildup to his eventual passing of the torch to that up-and-comer Hulk Hogan. Who I believe had a cup of coffee in WCW once upon a time, now I think of it. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 12, 2013

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

James Storm would need some serious rebuilding to ever challenge for the WWE title, or even the WHC after how TNA has booked him.

I did forget Angle. AJ, Angle, Hardy. Okay cool. Guess what? WWE has Jericho (I think he's at a place where he could instantly be put in a title program with a win or two), Orton, Punk. Oh look! Same number. Both companies have the same problem of not having a credible upper-midcard and both need to fix it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SamuraiFoochs posted:

What? No there aren't.

Angle, AJ, Hardy, James Storm, Bobby Roode, Christopher Daniels (Maybe), Austin Aries, Samoa Joe, Abyss, and Anderson (Who you all hate, but whatever). There's ten guys who could be the next contender to the heavyweight championship.

Now they couldn't get a title match announced tomorrow, but that's your qualifier, not mine. I'm saying those guys could challenge for and win the TNA title at next month's PPV Impact equivalent without it being a Jack Swagger's first title situation.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Angle, AJ, Hardy, James Storm, Bobby Roode, Christopher Daniels (Maybe), Austin Aries, Samoa Joe, Abyss, and Anderson (Who you all hate, but whatever). There's ten guys who could be the next contender to the heavyweight championship.

Now they couldn't get a title match announced tomorrow, but that's your qualifier, not mine. I'm saying those guys could challenge for and win the TNA title at next month's PPV Impact equivalent without it being a Jack Swagger's first title situation.

I could name off a bunch of people who could have a WWE title win fall completely flat and be a disaster too.

Edit: I like that Daniels is the maybe, but Joe, Abyss and Anderson are solid options. A guy who hasn't done anything in years, a geek and an Aces and Eights geek. Those would be some awesome TNA champions, along with James Storm.

In fact here is my equally good list:

Ryback, Punk, Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, Dan Bryan, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler and Al Del Rio. And Zack Ryder (maybe.)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 13, 2013

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

Judeccahedron posted:

Ah, okay. One thing about that reveal is that even aside from the part at the end, the commentary has some of Schiavone's best work, like the part where he's saying "I guess this was planned all the way back in '94." You can practically hear the :smith: in his voice.

I always hated that call. Sounded way too sappy and dumb.

But I always hated Tony and thought he was dumb, so maybe I'm biased.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

I could name off a bunch of people who could have a WWE title win fall completely flat and be a disaster too.

Edit: I like that Daniels is the maybe, but Joe, Abyss and Anderson are solid options. A guy who hasn't done anything in years, a geek and an Aces and Eights geek. Those would be some awesome TNA champions, along with James Storm.

In fact here is my equally good list:

Ryback, Punk, Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, Dan Bryan, Randy Orton, Sheamus, Dolph Ziggler and Al Del Rio. And Zack Ryder (maybe.)
That list is almost entirely accurate, though. Ryder excluded, for obvious reasons. Ryback, Punk, Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan, and Randy Orton are already proven draws and main-event guys.

The only reason the comparison is even being made is that Punk's gone, Big Show's gone, Henry's gone, and Ryback is actually already main-eventing, so he literally can't be "brought up." He's there right now. Like, as we speak. Then you have Dolph, who's currently champ, and Del Rio who's his challenger. Same thing.

Your list has four dudes on it, not ten.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

That list is almost entirely accurate, though, Ryder excluded. Ryback, Punk, Kane, Big Show, Mark Henry, Daniel Bryan, and Randy Orton are already proven draws and main-event guys.

The only reason the comparrison is even being made is that Punk's gone, Big Show's gone, Henry's gone, and Ryback is actually already main-eventing, so he literally can't be "brought up." He's there right now. Like, as we speak. Then you have Dolph, who's currently champ, and Del Rio who's his challenger. Same thing.

Your list has four dudes on it, not ten.

Punk is back in one week. Henry is back in one week. TNA currently has no one main eventing their next PPV, because they are so bad at business they can't run regular PPVs, so why are we excluding Ryback? He could win the belt on Sunday and it would not be a Swagger run at face value. Likewise, equating the WHC and WWE titles is just dumb, they aren't equal. Ziggler and Del Rio could win the WWE title and it would be on the level of any of those guys winning the TNA title.

I could say "Oh ho ho, many of those guys are in the BFG series so your list has X people on it." Or I could add in HHH, who is healthy enough to be champion but is transitioning off TV, since you have Angle who is so banged up he has to take it easy through most of his matches. I could throw in Christian who is ready to return and waiting for a story. I could throw in Dean Ambrose who has been pushed so hard it is less ridiculous for him to win the WWE belt than Mr. Anderson or Samoa Joe to win the TNA belt. I could add in Chris Jericho who is sticking around whenever Vince needs him, a WWE title run would suffice.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ok, since there's no reason for a discussion of whether or not WWE builds up main eventers properly, or has enough depth or whatever the gently caress has been going on, here's some quotes from Dynamic Dave and the 4/8/96 Observer.

quote:

Gene Okerlund hinted on the hotline that Ted DiBiase would be coming in as an announcer. While that under normal circumstances can be dismissed, in this case there may be something to it. DiBiase's contract with Titan doesn't expire until the fall, but there has been talk that at that point he may come to WCW as an announcer and be called Zillionaire Ted.

quote:

The WCW Saturday Night show for 3/30 was taped 3/27 in Rome, GA before a sellout 3,400 (3,200 paying $32,000). Some of the bouts will also air in the future. Luger wrestled Giant with Giant managed by Hart and working as the heel, telling the story of the turn a few days later. Hart threw the megaphone into Giant, but Sting intercepted and ran in with the megaphone and the ref saw it. So naturally he awarded the match to Luger via DQ. Which must have made as much sense to the fans live as seeing Hart with Giant and Giant working heel against Luger.

quote:

WCW ran house shows over the weekend on 3/30 in Columbus and 3/31 in Dayton. Heard the former was terrible and the latter was a great house show. Columbus did 3,300 paying $40,000 with Savage winning via a reverse decision DQ over Flair when Flair got the pin but was caught afterwards having used an object. Sting vs. Giant was the scheduled semifinal but they announced it wouldn't take place because Sting and Giant were friends so Giant instead wrestled Renegade in the semi and you can imagine how good that was. Sting, Luger, Woman and Liz all no-showed.

Best bait and switch and history, right there. Best one ever.

quote:

As part of the deal to get Halloween Havoc into Caesar's Palace in Vegas on 10/27 and get the $300,000 sponsorship deal on the show from Slim Jims, WCW had to promise both the site and Slim Jims the first Hogan vs. Savage match.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

Ok, since there's no reason for a discussion of whether or not WWE builds up main eventers properly, or has enough depth or whatever the gently caress has been going on, here's some quotes from Dynamic Dave and the 4/8/96 Observer.
I love how you say this after you've typed a giant post, without deleting it, thereby making me look petty if I continue while still having the last word.

All the same, I don't always want to read all the way through the Observer back issues, so I really appreciate that you do this for all of us. Thank you.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

I love how you say this after you've typed a giant post, without deleting it, thereby making me look petty if I continue while still having the last word.

All the same, I don't always want to read all the way through the Observer back issues, so I really appreciate that you do this for all of us. Thank you.

I typed that after I made that post when I looked back to see where this derail came from, saw it was you pointlessly sniping at the WWE and decided to nip it in the bud. I decided to not be more of a dick and point it out then, but now, why not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRafTer posted:

I typed that after I made that post when I looked back to see where this derail came from, saw it was you pointlessly sniping at the WWE and decided to nip it in the bud.
Fair enough. Complaint withdrawn. Thanks again for keeping this thread rollin'.

Edit: But just to defend myself, I wasn't pointlessly snip-

Aw, gently caress. Nevermind. :doh:

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
Here, have Jim Duggan, Lash LeRoux, The Wall and Big Vito on some Nickelodeon game show in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQuKIREpS3U

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I loving loved Lash LeRoux and I don't even know why.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Perdido posted:

Here, have Jim Duggan, Lash LeRoux, The Wall and Big Vito on some Nickelodeon game show in 2000:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQuKIREpS3U

Ah yes, when Nickelodeon tried to resurrect Double Dare but made it X-treme and replaced Mark Summers with that lisping idiot.

And I can only imagine how well that went over with fans. "Watch this week's Double Dare 2000 to see some of your favorite WCW wrestlers like...the Wall!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Rodney the Piper posted:

I loving loved Lash LeRoux and I don't even know why.

I think it's because his sideburns were in the shape of L's