Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Eclaire looks so nonchalant about those cat ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I find the idea of Lightning: SERIOUS COSPLAYER hilarious.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

WeaponBoy posted:

Now, we just need a giant stuffed cat for the characters to shoot doom lasers from...

Giant cat godzilla is great, but I can't wait to drop the moon on a bunch of dudes.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Azure_Horizon posted:

Meh, I don't really have a problem with them.

And that's how you know it's terrible.

WeaponBoy posted:

Oh sweet jesus, you're right. This gameplay is totally reminiscent of TWEWY. The warping, the variable weapons, the anime. Yesssssssss.

Now, we just need a giant stuffed cat for the characters to shoot doom lasers from...

THE KING IN THE STREETS! THE KING IN THE STREETS!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Here's some demo footage of 13-3. Will probably be a higher quality version of it later, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Square-Enix, why can't you just have one actually good outfit. Just one. Please.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Interesting to note that Lightning doesn't regain health after battles.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

PunkBoy posted:

So it'll work exactly as every other RPG in existence. Progressive, SE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PunkBoy posted:

They mentioned it a while back. There are no heal spells either. However you lose %5 of your HP if ambushed and enemies lose 20% (I think?) if you get the first strike on them.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The S-E stream has an interview with Lightning's VA right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxBGng_Xmw

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
WTH

It looks nothing like Twewy. :-|

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

WTH

It looks nothing like Twewy. :-|

Gameplay wise it does seem to be a bit like it (as in, there are some shared ideas there). Noctis's movement reminds me a lot of Neku's for example.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Some more costumes.

And hats! There will be various accessories as well.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Terper posted:

Here's some demo footage of 13-3. Will probably be a higher quality version of it later, though.

The battle system looks great. The sexy poses after each battle don't.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Renoistic posted:

Some more costumes.

Wait a minute, is that one on the end a Locke outfit? It looks Amano as hell.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Waiting for Sazh's afro to be a hat choice.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Wait a minute, is that one on the end a Locke outfit? It looks Amano as hell.

It looks very similar:

It's probably the best looking one out of those costumes too - the rest look like she's been dumpster diving outside a fabric warehouse. It's the most symmetrical anyway.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 12, 2013

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Renoistic posted:

Some more costumes.

Welp, looks like this is going to push all of my pretty princess buttons that I usually have to go to MMOs for. If the one on the right is an indication of other things to expect then I think there should be plenty of neat and ridiculous stuff to make up for her default and whatever that second one is supposed to be. The dress is nice, too.

Now I want a TWEWY sequel where they actually wear the stuff you can buy. And I don't mean FF15, I mean an actual TWEWY sequel since I don't plan to care about 15 for another 2 years or so.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

The battle system looks great. The sexy poses after each battle don't.

Yeah, it's actually really off-putting. You're basically just playing with Toriyama's* real doll now.

*Or whatever the writer guys name is.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I know, right? Adding post-battle poses to Final Fantasy is totally gross and disrespectful to the series, I wish they'd go back to games like Final Fantasy 7, which totally didn't have Tifa conveniently thrusting out her breasts after you won every fight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlf4r2n2FM0

It's basically like playing with Kitase's real doll. Or whatever real dolls were back then.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

amaranthine posted:

I know, right? Adding post-battle poses to Final Fantasy is totally gross and disrespectful to the series, I wish they'd go back to games like Final Fantasy 7, which totally didn't have Tifa conveniently thrusting out her breasts after you won every fight!

It's basically like playing with Kitase's real doll. Or whatever real dolls were back then.

They were awful back then too. You'd think we'd have made some progress since then.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
They don't look like sexy poses, they look like lame action hero poses. They're dumb but for a completely different reason.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They were awful back then too. You'd think we'd have made some progress since then.

I agree completely, I'm just getting annoyed because it's become popular to make creepy inferences about Toriyama's gross sexual feelings towards "his waifu lightning" even though it's no better or worse than all the poo poo they used to do.

I know that Japan is super wacky gross sex fetish land on the internet, but it's possible that he just likes the character (as lots of people do, she's like the most popular final fantasy character ever in Japan). We don't have to assume he has body pillows or real dolls or is anything other than a functioning human being.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

"Back to camera, flick sword and pose" has been a thing for awhile and I'm not sure why it's suddenly sexual now. :confused:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

ImpAtom posted:

Square-Enix, why can't you just have one actually good outfit. Just one. Please.

I'll even buy it if it's DLC, just do it.

Renoistic posted:

Some more costumes.

I should read the whole page before I post. There is hope.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The GIG posted:

"Back to camera, flick sword and pose" has been a thing for awhile and I'm not sure why it's suddenly sexual now. :confused:

Literally the first win pose in the gameplay video posted earlier would not be out of place in a stripper's routine. It maybe varies with outfit.

Combat looks fun, though, and the game is pretty even in crappy digital camera video. I'm really liking that castle.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 12, 2013

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

chumbler posted:

That one isn't, sure, but literally the first win pose in the gameplay video posted earlier would not be out of place in a stripper's routine.

She's stretching and posing. It's dumb and fanservicey but saying it looks something from a stripper routine is going overboard.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
To get off this topic and onto much happier and more speculative topics: http://www.usgamer.net/articles/square-wants-to-know-would-gamers-want-to-play-a-turn-based-current-gen-final-fantasy

quote:

Kitase paused for a moment and looked at me. "Now, I have a question," he said. "I'd like to know, would you want to see a turn-based command style return?

"Here's a hypothetical question -- and this is just hypothetical, so don't read too much into this -- what if we were to take a game like, say, Final Fantasy VI that does have the ATB system but is basically command-based. What if we were to take that game and breathe new life into it? Make it into a current-gen game? Would users be OK with it in that turn-based style?"

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Gee I dunno would we be ok with that... loving tease.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think the fact that he said "and this is just hypothetical, so don't read too much into this" probably makes it a pretty safe bet they're NOT working on something like that for FFVI. Maybe some other ATB-based game in the series, but I doubt he'd be so bald-faced as to specifically name the "hypothetical" game they were working on.

I'm gonna take him at his word and not read into it at all.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Oh, no. Fool me once... :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVCYy8C5Av4

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Schwartzcough posted:

I think the fact that he said "and this is just hypothetical, so don't read too much into this" probably makes it a pretty safe bet they're NOT working on something like that for FFVI. Maybe some other ATB-based game in the series, but I doubt he'd be so bald-faced as to specifically name the "hypothetical" game they were working on.

I'm gonna take him at his word and not read into it at all.

If anything, I think it's a fascinating look into just how oblivious SE is about what their fans want. He seems to genuinely not know if modern audiences would enjoy turn-based RPGs at all, as though we're all crack-addled children who DEMAND action-rpgs because we want to press a button and have something awesome happen (the fabled button-awesome connection).

Hell, I don't even want a modern remake of VI that much. I want a brand new game that plays in a way reminiscent of the older games, and I hope that's the message they get out of this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

amaranthine posted:

If anything, I think it's a fascinating look into just how oblivious SE is about what their fans want. He seems to genuinely not know if modern audiences would enjoy turn-based RPGs at all, as though we're all crack-addled children who DEMAND action-rpgs because we want to press a button and have something awesome happen (the fabled button-awesome connection).

Hell, I don't even want a modern remake of VI that much. I want a brand new game that plays in a way reminiscent of the older games, and I hope that's the message they get out of this.

It's a fair question. There are very few blockbuster turn-based RPGs out there.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zurai posted:

Final Fantasy is pretty much the only blockbuster Japanese RPG in the west. Dragon Quest (other than the MMO I guess? I don't really know how it plays) is still turn-based and the Shin Megami Tensei games have developed a huge cult following in the west just from last generation's PS2 games, all of which were turn-based.

There's clearly a market for it, but I agree that it may not be enough of one to sustain Final Fantasy's production values. The thing is, I think that's a problem with Final Fantasy being too expensive period, because it's not like the majority of western gamers loved FFXIII either.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

amaranthine posted:

Luckily, "Bravely Default" for 3DS is coming out early next year. It seems pretty sweet and traditional RPG-like. I'm pretty pumped for it to come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJTxfRJVoGI

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Command-based games were pretty much an exclusively Japanese thing among major releases; in the west, they hadn't been prominent since the Gold Box days. Then Monster Hunter got big, and the emphasis on multiplayer demanded that be an action-based game.

Consequently, Japanese developers who prefer to follow trends than start them have started making their increasing-numbers-based converse-'em-ups more action-based, with command-based ones remaining largely the domain of developers who target small niches anyway. This has fueled the perception that the market has rejected turn-based games, which is widespread, but nonsense: Pokemon is command-based.

FFXIII was kind of an overstimulating blend of command-based abstractions and action-based speed, which many found unpalatable. It would be a shame if they concluded that the menus were the part about it that didn't play well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

FFXIII was kind of an overstimulating blend of command-based abstractions and action-based speed, which many found unpalatable. It would be a shame if they concluded that the menus were the part about it that didn't play well.

The combat system is one of the few things FFXIII got praised for even by a lot of bad reviews, which is why they focused so much on it in the sequels. I don't think that is something they'd need to be concerned about.

FFXV is what it is simply because of what it began as. If it does well we might see something else but it isn't because they decided turn-based is done.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

Man, it's been that was since FF7. I think Zidane is the only one to escape it.

Terra and Celes say otherwise.

Kyrosiris posted:

Can't even count on that, look at DQX. :smith:

I do hope FFXV is awesome for the people who are interested in it, though.

I can't see DQX ever coming here but maybe they'll make DQXI and it'll be more like DQIX and not a generic as poo poo MMO.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Lightning Returns comes out beginning of next year, so I would go so far as guessing December 2014 at the earliest.

I wonder if Lightning Returns does badly since it's coming out months after the new consoles.

People don't throw away their existing consoles just because they got a new one that can't play all the games they already have.

I mean some people might, but how many people do you know that got rid of their NES when they got a SNES? Even PS2 and PS3 originally had backwards compatibility.

If people stop making games for the 360 and PS4 by 2016 I'll be surprised. Especially the 360 since one of their guys even said "if you have no internet get a 360 and not an XB1" but that could just be MS continuing it's series of stumbles lately. PS2 had games made for it up until last year though.

Zurai posted:

Yes and one of them is Pokemon. May it never change it's obscenely addictive ways. :japan:

Bongo Bill posted:

Maybe they figured people liked FF12's more active setup and let it snowball in to FF13, with 15 being even more action heavy like how bioware went and did the same thing for Dragon Age 2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Terra was actually "Tina" in the Japanese version actually! You can blame that entirely on the English translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

"since FF7"