Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gently caress yeah motherfucker! Got that sonovabitch out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Automotive Insanity: EZ-Out Warfare Training Camp

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
They should sponsor this thread.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Slavvy posted:

You lucky bastard.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

revmoo posted:

You lucky bastard.

I know. Failure would have meant engine removal on a 220kg bike, presumably half of which is the big dumb engine itself.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

totalnewbie posted:

They should sponsor this thread.

:colbert: I'm getting my EZ Out checks regularly

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: I'm getting my EZ Out checks regularly

It's not from you purchasing them, obviously. How many goons have attempted his devilish feats and failed?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I once snapped a spark plug off in the rear bank of a 3.0L Saturn LW, and managed to thread it out by hand (technically a snake magnet down the hole but it was just sitting in there somehow)

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

EightBit posted:

It's not from you purchasing them, obviously. How many goons have attempted his devilish feats and failed?

Please don't remind me... :negative:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I think the EZ out you use has an impact- I've had far more luck with those square ones like Slavvy used vs the spiral fluted ones that CommieGIR used.

I've also got a tractor thats got 1/3 of an EZ out holding a pivot onto a shaft for the rear brake...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I know it says pictures.. but all this easy out talk is getting me nostalgic for my most tragic "mechanic" failure

My buddy and I were doing the suspension on his car..
We ran into a stubborn bolt after completing 3 of the 4 corners in record time (probably 1.5-2hrs max) and I accidentally left him alone with tools... while I went to go get some spray and a torch (This was my bad)

He puts the socket and ratchet on it and starts trying to get the bolt out.. (even though I have a perfectly good impact wrench that we were using)
As I"m walking back next thing I hear is the loud clang of a wrench bouncing off of parts of the car (I figure he broke the bolt after the sound)..
Sure enough he says.. "I got it".. and starts turning and pulls out a little nub.

Go to sears grab some carbide bits and easy outs (Becuase I knwo that the suspension bolts on a Honda are very hard.).. I think I went through 2-3 easy outs after giving up

Because drilling out bolts is about as fun as having sex with your own grandpa while he tells you stories about how he saved .35 at the grocery store by buying dented cans, I tell my friend that it's his job to drill out the bolts (My fault again).. So he manages to not keep the drill straight.. I know this becuase after 5 min of drilling he says.. "I'm done" I put the drill through the hole and he drilled sideways through the suspension bracket...

I hate broken bolts.. and I hate easy outs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It sounds like you should hate doing mechanical work with mechanically unskilled people, actually. Yikes.

I need to try the straight fluted easy outs, they look like they can handle being preinserted with a BFH a little better than the spiral ones, and probably aren't as much of a bastard to get the stub out even if you do break it off.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kastein posted:

It sounds like you should hate doing mechanical work with mechanically unskilled people, actually. Yikes.

That was part of it.. I now have a strict NO HANDS ON TOOLS policy with any of my friends that I deem mentally unfit to understand how to work on things. I've had other experiences with easy outs not working but this memory is always a PTSD onset when easy outs are mentioned.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

kastein posted:

I need to try the straight fluted easy outs, they look like they can handle being preinserted with a BFH a little better than the spiral ones, and probably aren't as much of a bastard to get the stub out even if you do break it off.

Having used both now, the straight ones are a million times better IMO. The edges are so sharp you're guaranteed a decent grip.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

EightBit posted:

I've broken an EZ-out in an engine block before. Waterpump on a 302 :argh:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Devyl posted:

I've broken an EZ-out in an engine block before. Waterpump on a 302 :argh:

Ugh, that bolt. I know exactly which one you broke off. Last time I had a stuck one the head broke off and we had to get the rest of it out using the strongest vice grips we could find with them as tight as they would get and turned it like a 1/4 turn a time. It took forever and sucked really bad. Not as bad as an ezout in the block though, gently caress that. Also Ive had way better luck with the twisty ezouts than the square ones. They work for me every time and Ive never broken one. I just jinxed myself, I know it.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Slavvy posted:

Your picture does not conform to A/I EZ Out Victory Picture Standard (AI-EZO-VPS) as it does not include an out of focus middle finger salute in the foreground of the image.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

netwerk23 posted:

Your picture does not conform to A/I EZ Out Victory Picture Standard (AI-EZO-VPS) as it does not include an out of focus middle finger salute in the foreground of the image.

An EZout buried in a successfully extracted bolt is the world's own middle finger. It represents a great big loogie spat into the face of all that would attempt to confuse, confound and irritate us. It is a fist in the teeth of the casual malignity of the universe.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

netwerk23 posted:

How's this?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
^^ damnit Slim :arghfist:

netwerk23 posted:

Here you go.

Have a template!

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 14, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

netwerk23 posted:

No, most cell phones will focus on the middle finger and leave AI guessing as to what exactly was extracted.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

netwerk23 posted:

Dammit, now I'm going to have to break another plug off! I knew I missed a critical step but I was in a hurry.

I still have the plug end attached to the extractor kicking around at work so I can brag to people about it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That would be on my keychain forever.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Sparkplugs are cheating- They come with the hole already bored dead center and straight! :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

Sparkplugs are cheating- They come with the hole already bored dead center and straight! :colbert:

Counterpoint to this is that it was located at the bottom of a 7" hole and any error would mean an unbelievably time consuming and expensive engine removal. I'll grant you pre-drilling is a bitch though :)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I swear if I ever meet the half-wit who decided brake backing plates should go OVER the unit bearing mounting flange instead of UNDER it (between the flange and the knuckle/control arm) on the back of a 97 AWD toyota rav4... I will do unholy, painful things to them.

Not cool. And it would have been just as easy for them to assemble at the factory if they'd done it in the more user serviceable way :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

quote:

Got a report from an operator about squealing from the crane.
The bearings are non greasable and generally fail when the wheels are worn differently causing heavy side loading (axial load) from the crane "crabbing" aka binding from running out of square. The replacement wheels hadn't come in yet so we had to throw another set of bearings in temporarily until the new wheels show up. Bearings are $500 a piece.

I've seen lots of failed bearings but never seen the rollers turn sideways and the bearing keep turning!

:stare:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 15, 2013

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I know its a bit different, but the giant bearing setup on the old Wescam dome housing is alternating stainless ball bearing and then a delrin rod, all running in a cf/resin channel. And every few years we end up having to pull the balls and rods and patch up the channel because it gets all gouged out.

The big gear at the bottom spins the outer housing to follow the camera.

also these fit because when they work they work pretty well for being almost 20 years old now, most of the time they are Horrible Mechanical Failures.

D C fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 15, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EightBit posted:

No, most cell phones will focus on the middle finger and leave AI guessing as to what exactly was extracted.

So which step of the process is this in extracting half an extractor?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ummm... :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D5o6f1IQ_E

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Quick reactions. Also, one lucky son-of-a-bitch.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

A guy I used to work with died around Christmas time 2011 when a truck had a full wheel/tire fall off the truck, bounce across the median, and slam into his windshield.

:(

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

TrueChaos posted:

A guy I used to work with died around Christmas time 2011 when a truck had a full wheel/tire fall off the truck, bounce across the median, and slam into his windshield.

:(

I have had a fear of that back in birmingham after reading about a knock off wire wheel falling off a donk in ATL jumping the median on the interstate and killing a guy. There were plenty of donks back there.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Holdbrooks posted:

I have had a fear of that back in birmingham after reading about a knock off wire wheel falling off a donk in ATL jumping the median on the interstate and killing a guy. There were plenty of donks back there.

There was also that person who died after a chunk of I-20 towards Atlanta was kicked up by a truck tire and sent through her windshield. They dropped the speed limit on I-20 to 55mph in response, I wonder if they ever fixed it.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Dave Inc. posted:

There was also that person who died after a chunk of I-20 towards Atlanta was kicked up by a truck tire and sent through her windshield. They dropped the speed limit on I-20 to 55mph in response, I wonder if they ever fixed it.

That happened right before I moved, the speed limit was still lowered when I was back there last year I think. I don't really remember on account of it raining pretty bad and having to pull a guy out of the truck that jack-knifed in front of me just outside of ATL. I drove back to bham pretty slow anyway after that.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Dave Inc. posted:

Someone was killed by a catseye kicked up by a white van a few years ago, and I heard about it just before I took my (very low) MG along a motorway famous for rear end in a top hat white van drivers.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Vindolanda posted:

Someone was killed by a catseye kicked up by a white van a few years ago, and I heard about it just before I took my (very low) MG along a motorway famous for rear end in a top hat white van drivers.

Kemistry, Goldie's girlfriend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemistry

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
People die in all sorts of horrible ways on the road.

A guy I know died when he braked hard for a red light and the cement stacked in the tray of his Ute slide forward and smashed through the back window and crushed him.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was very worried about this when picking up my rebuilt 389 from the shop. The motorcycle strap I was using to hold the motor down to the cart was cut through (by a sharp corner on the block) by the time I got it home.

It may be why, however, U-Haul installs a big bar right at the front of the bed.

(by the time I shot this, I had removed the other strap holding the unit to the bar)

I drove home like I was eighty & blind. Annoyed the hell out of everyone behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

So... What's it for?