Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'd say since you enjoy your GSXR you should get a 2001+ Bandit 1200, swap over GSXR1100 cams and get a bore kit with some bar risers, new springs and valves in your forks, a progressive rear shock, and a Spencer's seat and wheelie and wheelie and wheelie until you run out of gears or money for tickets on your rocket-couch-thing. Buzzy, loud, archaic, half the price of the bikes you're considering, but oh so hilariously fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

M42 posted:

Woohoo! I'm moving across the country and I've just found out the moving truck can take the bike if I drain the gas. No need to worry about spending cash for a shipping service or selling it before I leave! :haw:

:hf:

Think about draining all fluids, it's not that much extra work. Well, bleeding the brakes might be a bitch, but I'm sure moving gives you lots of extra free time anyways.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Snowdens Secret posted:

No offense to Raven but the ST1300 is kind of the also-ran of the big S-T market at the moment. It's heavy, it dumps a LOT of heat on the rider, and it's just an old design. The FJR, the Kawi Concours, and the BMW R1200RT are all supposed to outclass the ST13 by a good margin; if you want sporty, the Concours is probably the way to go; the FJR is a good choice with big upgrades as you get newer, the BMW is going to be expensive even used. I'm assuming you've looked at the Bandit 1250 and rejected it already.

None taken :) I did mention that the bike is unchanged since 2003. My assumption was that since he mentioned those two models in particular he'd already crossed off some of the other models. The newly revamped FJR and Concourse certainly are a lot of bike and offer a lot more than the ST13 does currently, but since he said he was buying used... I didn't bring it up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Both times I had house movers move my bike, they had me "drain my gas" which just meant running it low so the fuel light came on. At no point did they ask for or did I actually drain the tank, pull the tank, or any other nonsense. If it's a carbed bike I would deffo close the petcock and drain the float bowls.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Xovaan posted:

I'd say since you enjoy your GSXR you should get a 2001+ Bandit 1200, swap over GSXR1100 cams and get a bore kit with some bar risers, new springs and valves in your forks, a progressive rear shock, and a Spencer's seat and wheelie and wheelie and wheelie until you run out of gears or money for tickets on your rocket-couch-thing. Buzzy, loud, archaic, half the price of the bikes you're considering, but oh so hilariously fun.

Seriously, what is wrong with you guys - you make all these bikes seem so fun and awesome it's impossible that I'm going to end up with a small garage of 2 or 3 bikes, rather it's going to be 10 - 20 bikes that I'm going to have a coronary trying to figure out which one I want to lose my license on each time I go for a ride.

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

Raven457 posted:

Well, it's a bit of a trading game. The VFR is much more on the "sport" side of "sport-touring", while the ST13 is a bit more relaxed. If you really like the aggressive riding position and feel of the GSX-R, you may be better served by the VFR, but it's really just hard to say. Sport tourers certainly are not going to be the same as a sportbike, but they may surprise you if you can manage to get a test ride on one. Join the ST-owners board, introduce yourself and ask questions. See when the next meetup in your area is taking place, maybe go check out a few in person if you haven't already.

The pillion seat on the VFR should be more comfortable than a pure sportbike, the ST13's seat even more so. The pillion seat on the ST is a nice big 1ft by 1ft square, plenty of room and no narrow foam wedgie up your lady's crotch.
This was along the lines of what I was thinking. There is a 2007 ST1300 only 25 miles from my house that has ~40k miles, well maintained, for $8,950. I am going to head over there when I get back and test ride it to see if I like it. There is a 2010 VFR12 only 12 miles from my house that has 3k miles, practically new, for $11,800. I might go test drive it, but not too sure that I want to buy anything that cost over 9k (wife debt limit set).

Snowdens Secret posted:

No offense to Raven but the ST1300 is kind of the also-ran of the big S-T market at the moment. It's heavy, it dumps a LOT of heat on the rider, and it's just an old design. The FJR, the Kawi Concours, and the BMW R1200RT are all supposed to outclass the ST13 by a good margin; if you want sporty, the Concours is probably the way to go; the FJR is a good choice with big upgrades as you get newer, the BMW is going to be expensive even used. I'm assuming you've looked at the Bandit 1250 and rejected it already.

The VFR12 is an odd bike. I sat on one and just couldn't get comfortable. It's also pretty heavy and there's not many out there in the used market. Check it out, I guess.

Keep in mind the sub-1300cc 'sport-touring' market, which is probably what you're looking for for actual light, sporty feel, has basically vanished in favor of faux-ADV / dual sport bikes. Put your usual street tires on these and they handle pretty well, although they tend to be tall. If you want to stick Suzuki you have the 1000cc V-Strom, which is a very good bike, you have the different flavors of Duc Multistrada, and so on.
I don't really like the idea of a ~750lb bike, but I have had that weight before with the Goldwing. It is manageable, but not preferred. Now knowing the limit of 9k for my budget (including trading in my GSX-R) it will be easier to weed out the bikes based on make. I did not set my sights solely on the Hondas, they were just the ones that popped up when I was searching for used STs on cycle trader. Looking at what you threw out there, I like the Kawi and Yamaha. The BMW is dismissed out of it just being a BMW... nothing against the bike, just don't like the BMW make (car or bike). The Bandit is nice, just not my style. I really am stuck on the full fearing look.
Can you describe the VFR12 comfort-ability? Was it the leg position, the body position, or a little of both?
I can't really wrap my head around the appearance of the (dirt-bike) style. I hear that the motards are a way better style, but the look with the added height... not really for me.

Xovaan posted:

I read this, thought about it, re-read it, and still... it went over my head by a mile. Is this sarcastic? Serious? IDK

Raven457 posted:

None taken :) I did mention that the bike is unchanged since 2003. My assumption was that since he mentioned those two models in particular he'd already crossed off some of the other models. The newly revamped FJR and Concourse certainly are a lot of bike and offer a lot more than the ST13 does currently, but since he said he was buying used... I didn't bring it up.
Yeah, I just honed in on the two from seeing them on cycle trader, not stuck on them in any way. Just want a good full fearing, ST, larger than 1000cc, passenger comfort, hard bags option, not a grandpa bike but not a crotch rocket.

BTW, thank you all for the great input on this subject!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Keep in mind the sub-1300cc 'sport-touring' market

This is kinda why I ended up with my FZ1. They're pretty drat good highway cruisers (quite tall gearing, stock - turns about 5000 rpm in 6th on the freeway), comfortable standard seating position, if you actually want a full fairing, Yamaha makes a factory full fairing for them, and you can easily get a full set of luggage on one and still get a passenger on - but - it's not nearly as heavy and hard to use in rush hour traffic (I do my ~20-minutes-in-traffic commute on my bike, so a full sized ST would be kinda crappy for all the slow moving rush hour poo poo), and slightly better gas mileage than the larger >1000cc tourers.

A lotta people on the various FZ forums use FZ1s and FZ6s as light sport-touring bikes, and so far mine's done the job well.

Here's what one fully dressed up for touring duty looks like:

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013
Oooh, I like this one.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

GSXRMikeS posted:

I read this, thought about it, re-read it, and still... it went over my head by a mile. Is this sarcastic? Serious? IDK

Yeah, I just honed in on the two from seeing them on cycle trader, not stuck on them in any way. Just want a good full fearing, ST, larger than 1000cc, passenger comfort, hard bags option, not a grandpa bike but not a crotch rocket.

BTW, thank you all for the great input on this subject!

His post was serious. He's got an >110WHP Bandit 1200. These things are hilariously awesome. I have a mostly stock '02, and it's (apparently) putting about 100HP down at the wheel now. I changed sprockets, and I can still bury the needle in 5th. Speedo says 170, the GPS is just a blurry mess, but is probably somewhere close.

200-250 mile range, and easy enough to do 300-500 miles in a day. It will still roll wheelies in 2nd with just throttle.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Another 450 miles into salt lake city today. My leg is well done.

The Uly comfort kit comes with an exhaust heat shield, for what it's worth.

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

His post was serious. He's got an >110WHP Bandit 1200. These things are hilariously awesome. I have a mostly stock '02, and it's (apparently) putting about 100HP down at the wheel now. I changed sprockets, and I can still bury the needle in 5th. Speedo says 170, the GPS is just a blurry mess, but is probably somewhere close.

200-250 mile range, and easy enough to do 300-500 miles in a day. It will still roll wheelies in 2nd with just throttle.

That seems pretty bad rear end, ill read into them a little more.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Jokes aside I have a 1st degree burn on my right calf. It was 104 in Moab today, and I was parading through arches. Those pipes radiate like a mother fucker. I cannot fathom riding through this country in shorts.

By the way Arches National Park is incredible. It's like another planet there. Pics when I find better wifi.

In Durango, CO now. Nice town.

The altitude is killing my bike's go. Hasn't skipped a beat though. Thought for sure it would overheat by now, but I think it will literally cook me off of it first. Water is good. The bead seat is awesome.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

Jokes aside I have a 1st degree burn on my right calf. It was 104 in Moab today, and I was parading through arches. Those pipes radiate like a mother fucker. I cannot fathom riding through this country in shorts.

By the way Arches National Park is incredible. It's like another planet there. Pics when I find better wifi.

The altitude is killing my bike's go. Hasn't skipped a beat though. Thought for sure it would overheat by now, but I think it will literally cook me off of it first. Water is good. The bead seat is awesome.

What a coincidence, I'm posting this from a Moab hotel. Haven't seen a single Buell in the two weeks I've been here though, just endless identical baggers and the odd dual sport back in Colorado.

Like I said in the other thread, you might want to pick up one of these http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/17327.html

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's 140whp 105ftlb tq or around that iirc. It makes 80 of that torque at idle. :ssh: Still the best $1200 I've ever spent! (Thanks Z3n :3: )

GSXRMikeS posted:

That seems pretty bad rear end, ill read into them a little more.

It's a GSXR1100 engine that's been bored out for more torque and set up for long distances. People regularly get 100-300k out of the motors since they're gigantic, oil-cooled tractors. Valve adjustments take 30 minutes and it takes Rotella T6 15w40 which is like $13/gallon. It's the tabula rasa of motorcycles, where the sky's the limit on upgrades. Check out Holeshot Performance for an idea of what you can do. I love mine and am never giving it up.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 11, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

Why don't you just wrap the exhaust?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Probably tons of aftermarket heat shields available as well.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

Why don't you just wrap the exhaust?

When I get home probably. 3000 miles to go.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

clutchpuck posted:

When I get home probably. 3000 miles to go.

Good call. Why spend 10-15 minutes and $30 now when you can just get burns on your leg for the next 30 hours?

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

Good call. Why spend 10-15 minutes and $30 now when you can just get burns on your leg for the next 30 hours?

100mph is a good speed to maintain O.O

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I need a DOT-approved Daft Punk helmet.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Gotta rotate the engine out to do the rear pipe, not doing that on the road.

It's pretty minor, I'm not worried about me, I'm pretty tough. I have other 1st degree burns from the sun which are more annoying.

At least it's throwing off the heat rather than melting. I half expected heat related mechanical issues by now. If Moab didn't kill it nothing will. Not really burning much oil either, Mobil 1 does it's job well.

update from not-phone:

We're into Roswell tonight. We have a 540 mile push into San Antonio tomorrow.

The riding is 99% uneventful. We had one semi truck in Idaho doing some crazy poo poo, but we saw it develop and made some space. Idaho, right? I saw TWO Buells - a Barricade Orange Ulysses near Boise and a Blast in SLC. I had a "your bike is still running" regarding the fan and a "is that the Ducati" at gas stations; proof I'm on a Buell.

Up a hill, into a headwind, 7500ft or so I could go WOT and the bike would just lug; too lazy to downshift. Hasn't skipped a beat though. We've been doing about 70mph. Colorado Plateau state highways and scenic byways are great at 70. You get all the scenery and you still make time.

Northern New Mexico is great, cool air, lots of trees, massive panoramic earth-curvature views. I guess elk are a problem for motorcyclists though. I had a volunteer firefighter who rode his BMW from San Francisco to Times Square New York tell me all about the elk in Chama, NM.

somewhere in Utah, some COAL MINING history happens here

Arches National Park

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 12, 2013

GSXRMikeS
Jun 2, 2013

eddiewalker posted:

I need a DOT-approved Daft Punk helmet.

Just get it custom painted to make it appear the same.

ReverendCode
Nov 30, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

Gotta rotate the engine out to do the rear pipe, not doing that on the road.

It's pretty minor, I'm not worried about me, I'm pretty tough. I have other 1st degree burns from the sun which are more annoying.

At least it's throwing off the heat rather than melting. I half expected heat related mechanical issues by now. If Moab didn't kill it nothing will. Not really burning much oil either, Mobil 1 does it's job well.

update from not-phone:

We're into Roswell tonight. We have a 540 mile push into San Antonio tomorrow.

The riding is 99% uneventful. We had one semi truck in Idaho doing some crazy poo poo, but we saw it develop and made some space. Idaho, right? I saw TWO Buells - a Barricade Orange Ulysses near Boise and a Blast in SLC. I had a "your bike is still running" regarding the fan and a "is that the Ducati" at gas stations; proof I'm on a Buell.

Up a hill, into a headwind, 7500ft or so I could go WOT and the bike would just lug; too lazy to downshift. Hasn't skipped a beat though. We've been doing about 70mph. Colorado Plateau state highways and scenic byways are great at 70. You get all the scenery and you still make time.

Northern New Mexico is great, cool air, lots of trees, massive panoramic earth-curvature views. I guess elk are a problem for motorcyclists though. I had a volunteer firefighter who rode his BMW from San Francisco to Times Square New York tell me all about the elk in Chama, NM.

Hi5 burnt leg buddy. We are in a hotel in New Orleans this morning, headed towards College Station next, then Carlsbad Caverns. Getting out of Florida was an ordeal, super humid, and camping next to a swamp resulted in both of my feet getting ruined by biting flies. I used some water heater insulation under my seat to keep from boiling my crotch, the right side is pretty warm, but I found that moving around a lot keeps me from getting too cooked.
My girlfriend is a much less experienced rider than I am, so we are lucky if we make it 300 miles in a day, but honestly, even without a windshield I am pretty happy about the trip so far.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Anybody got any advice on motorcycle insurance? I currently have a 2006 SV650 that I insure through Liberty Mutual (comp only, no collision, $250 deductible) and it only costs like $25 a month to insure. However, when I called to see about insurance costs for the same coverage on a 2008ish Triumph Daytona 675, they wanted something like $90 a month, which seems loving ridiculous to me. I already have my MSF beginners rider course certificate, and I don't have any tickets or accidents on my driving record.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You're about a day's ride away from us, we're in San Antonio safely. Got treated to a thunderstorm on the way in! We went through Carlsbad on the way out of Roswell. It's hot there!

West Texas on i10 isn't as desolate as it's made out to be... I think Utah it the most desolate everywhere.

I took my windshield off a couple days ago, it was directing wind and bugs right at my neck. I prefer a clean blast rather than a choppy mess.

As far as butt comfort goes, the bead rider I got last summer is great. No jungle butt!

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 13, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DJCobol posted:

Anybody got any advice on motorcycle insurance? I currently have a 2006 SV650 that I insure through Liberty Mutual (comp only, no collision, $250 deductible) and it only costs like $25 a month to insure. However, when I called to see about insurance costs for the same coverage on a 2008ish Triumph Daytona 675, they wanted something like $90 a month, which seems loving ridiculous to me. I already have my MSF beginners rider course certificate, and I don't have any tickets or accidents on my driving record.

Call StateFarm, but for reference I'm paying $180/mo on my 675 at 25y/o. IIRC I've got two improper turn tickets and a no plate light ticket (this is a moving violation in Az) on the driving record that Geico has for me. I don't really know, I'd have to pull my driving record. Guess I should probably shop for insurance but I don't really care right now as long as I am legally insured. :v:

or I should just drop collision. I think it'd be hard to do $1k + $90/mo of unused insurance coverage to this thing unless I shot it off a cliff. The only claim I'd ever make on it would end up with a totalled bike, which is probably worth about $5k; $4k after the deductible... too bad I have used Aprilla RSV4 level money in this poo poo now. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 13, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

ReverendCode posted:

Hi5 burnt leg buddy. We are in a hotel in New Orleans this morning, headed towards College Station next, then Carlsbad Caverns. Getting out of Florida was an ordeal, super humid, and camping next to a swamp resulted in both of my feet getting ruined by biting flies. I used some water heater insulation under my seat to keep from boiling my crotch, the right side is pretty warm, but I found that moving around a lot keeps me from getting too cooked.
My girlfriend is a much less experienced rider than I am, so we are lucky if we make it 300 miles in a day, but honestly, even without a windshield I am pretty happy about the trip so far.

PM'd you about your trip. Not sure if you'll get it in time or not but it's worth a shot.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Call StateFarm, but for reference I'm paying $180/mo on my 675 at 25y/o. IIRC I've got two improper turn tickets and a no plate light ticket (this is a moving violation in Az) on the driving record that Geico has for me. I don't really know, I'd have to pull my driving record. Guess I should probably shop for insurance but I don't really care right now as long as I am legally insured. :v:

or I should just drop collision. I think it'd be hard to do $1k + $90/mo of unused insurance coverage to this thing unless I shot it off a cliff. The only claim I'd ever make on it would end up with a totalled bike, which is probably worth about $5k; $4k after the deductible.

Man, insurance threads are about the only thing that makes me feel good about being in my thirties. I did a quick check on cycletrader, man, a 05-07 675 is about a 4500-5k bike, how much lube do you have to use to handle 2k/year on insurance?

For shits & giggles I was spec-ing out S1000rrs yesterday, so I figured I'd run a quote as well. 2013 with the same coverage as you've got, save for a 500 dollar deductable vs 1000 was 552/year. Funny story though, I guess progressive offers certain other optional packages based on the bike. I had never seen a "basic" package offered before - it's the squid special. 7500/10,000/7500 coverage, no comp, no collision, no Uninisured, etc. 48 bucks a year. Seems like it makes sense with a 15.5k 200hp bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Yeah, that's not worth 180 a month man. Drop it to comp only for theft protection if you think you need it. I paid 50 or 55 a month on my '06 R6 for liability + comp with a $500 deductible through Progressive. They've been the absolute lowest for me on every bike I've had. Geico always wants wayyy more and every other company refuses to get with the year 2000 and create an online quote tool. I really dislike working with local agents as they always wanted much more than the online price and I've never had an issue when dealing with the agent Progressive provides for their online service.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Get old (25+), get married (responsible), get life and/or renters insurance(multi-policy), and get Allstate.

These are for 12 months. So I insure 2 rather pricey/large displacement bikes and a lovely Honda for $33 a month. Including medical, comprehensive, and a towing/roadside assistance credit.

Costs + Discounts

(Snapped of the Hog because it was at the bottom which shows the additional coverage, the coverage is the same for all bikes)

A good local insurance agent is worthwhile. They can set you up with all kinds of little known discounts for most companies. Such as a discount for auto-pay enrollment, another for paying with a check instead of a credit card, another for having a good credit score (they see it as being responsible), etc. My premium with the stuff the agent was able to dig up is way lower than what the online tools would allow.

My condo insurance covers $300k in event of fire etc. It costs me roughly $100 a year. The multi-policy discount that showed up on my car and bike insurance is significantly more than that. So check out additional insurance your company offers, because in the occasional odd case you can actually get more poo poo insured for better than free.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 13, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Here's how I look at insurance:

If I own the bike outright - Liability/Uninsured + Comprehensive. I will never put collision on a bike, if I drop it light enough I will fix it myself instead of paying deductible. If I drop it hard enough, it will be written off anyway, so at that point I'd part it out and make a good chunk of money back.

If someone hits me/is at fault, then their insurance will cover it.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SaNChEzZ posted:

If someone hits me/is at fault, then their insurance will cover it.

Unless they're an uninsured dumbfuck and drive away.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I knew my replacement chain wouldn't last very long, but I expected it to last longer than this. I only got about 7,000 miles on it and it's stretch to hell and back and already has multiple tight spots. Not that I was expecting high quality from a brand I'd never heard of before, but Jesus. Don't buy Volar chains. Got an EK in the mail.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I've had the same experience. I bought a cheapo bikemaster one way back when and it was done for in no time. I'm a pretty big believer in gold plated EK / RK chains now. It's easier for me to tell when it's clean since it's so shiny and it resists rusting to hell and back if it rains and you don't lube it right away.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A shop quoted me 75 bucks for a Parts Unlimited chain (not including the .5 hr labor to swap it) and you can get an RK x-ring chain and clip for that on amazon. I was thinking the RK would be a bit overkill on a Ninjette so I was looking up their o ring chain or a DID chain, but they were barely cheaper. Guess the ninja is getting a fly chain...but not gold tho...maybe the master link.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I felt a bit :stonk: a few times on my trip when hitting speed- could feel the tight spots as the chain ran around the counter sprocket. It just feels unstable.
Anyone have a sure-fire method for proper rear wheel alignment?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Pope Mobile posted:

I felt a bit :stonk: a few times on my trip when hitting speed- could feel the tight spots as the chain ran around the counter sprocket. It just feels unstable.
Anyone have a sure-fire method for proper rear wheel alignment?

Ride it on a slow pace and let go of the handlebars. Assuming everything else is balanced (no lopsided forks, slanty wear on a tire, etc).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

KARMA! posted:

Ride it on a slow pace and let go of the handlebars. Assuming everything else is balanced (no lopsided forks, slanty wear on a tire, etc).

I wouldn't say "go by feel" is in any way a good recommendation when someone asks how to accurately measure wheel alignment.

I'm gonna go ahead and recommend a yardstick / piece of string / etc which you can use to measure from your rearsets or swingarm pivot to the center of your axle bolt. Those two make sense to me.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

I wouldn't say "go by feel" is in any way a good recommendation when someone asks how to accurately measure wheel alignment.

I'm gonna go ahead and recommend a yardstick / piece of string / etc which you can use to measure from your rearsets or swingarm pivot to the center of your axle bolt. Those two make sense to me.

Assuming you've got a symmetrical sidearm and adjuster block, a micrometer on the adjuster bolt works great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I recommend seeing if you can get what's called a "Combined Single Limit" (CSL). The way a CSL works is one limit for any accident. So instead of getting only $100,000 per person for bodily injury, you get $300,000. If you Uninsured / Underinsured limit matches you'll have $300,000 of coverage if some car driver pulls an "I didn't see you" (and it's his fault). Many times going from the normal split limits to a CSL is well under $100 in premium for the year. (I have to double check what I pay).