Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Maybe I'm kinda alone in this, but I love playing dress-up doll and I kinda like all the outfits I've seen so far for Lightning.

It's not like I expected a Final Fantasy character to dress like a normal person anyway.

I like it. I'm only interested in dress-up if the costumes are at least a little bit silly. The last thing I want to do is pick out some anime lady's fashionable summer wardrobe in earnest. Popping into a menu every so often and saying "she's homeless now" or "wow what the gently caress is this" sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The gameplay of Lightning returns looks great and with 80+ costumes, I'm pretty sure I can make a set of stuff that I'll be completely satisfied with so I can have Lightning looking stylish. I seriously cannot wait for this game, the gameplay in the XIII series has probably been my favorite of the series and I'm happy to see it come to is logical evolution. Now if only this led to another sequel that was a pure DMC-esque hack n slash developed by Platinum Games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
All these dressup pictures of Lightning seem a bit overboard. It's fine if they're jobs like FFX-2 but that doesn't make some of them any less hideous.

:worship:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I feel like I'm missing something with Bad Bracelet. I have a feeling it's a play on Bad Breath (as in the ability), but where does Bracelet come in?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with Bad Bracelet. I have a feeling it's a play on Bad Breath (as in the ability), but where does Bracelet come in?

Looks like someone needs to go play FFT. Not the PSP version,either.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

We can go ahead and shut the thread down now, it's not topping this.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Renoistic posted:

The "fishing" game in FFXII was completely worthless. I didn't even find it until after I beat the game.

It's not completely worthless, you have to complete the highest level to get the Lu Shang Medal or whatever it's called which is used to unlock one of the most powerful (and ridiculous) weapons in the game.

That said, it is a terrible minigame as the only way to actually complete the highest-level QTEs is to wait for them to go side to side. It's mostly impossible to do it top to bottom as you have less screen space to work with so you end up with significantly less time to put in the 8-10 button prompts.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

PunkBoy posted:

"Breath" in attack names was erroneously translated as "Bracelet" in the PS1 version of FFT.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

WeaponBoy posted:

It's not completely worthless, you have to complete the highest level to get the Lu Shang Medal or whatever it's called which is used to unlock one of the most powerful (and ridiculous) weapons in the game.

That said, it is a terrible minigame as the only way to actually complete the highest-level QTEs is to wait for them to go side to side. It's mostly impossible to do it top to bottom as you have less screen space to work with so you end up with significantly less time to put in the 8-10 button prompts.

Luckily the final level only had something like 3 combinations it would use, so you could eventually memorize them and know what you had to press once you recognized the first two buttons or so. Because yeah, seeing and comprehending the buttons and then translating that into button presses would be pretty impossible if they were all random.

But yeah, minigames were not FFXII's strong suit...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I played the fishing minigame forever trying to start the bottle sidequest before I realized I had to beat Gilgamesh first. :suicide:

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

"Breath" in attack names was erroneously translated as "Bracelet" in the PS1 version of FFT.

Ahh, I see. Man, I really need to finish that game. Getting stuck in the one fight made me bitter for a while.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Veks posted:

You CAN heal during battle, with items. There won't be any healing abilities like Cure, though.

It sounds like resource management is going to be a much bigger factor in this game than the previous two. I only used items if there wasn't a character with the right spell available at that time.

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2013/06/final-fantasy-xv-is-the-first-part-in-a-larger-epic/

Final Fantasy XV is going to be a series as well. Reducing the scope of the game allowed them to overcome some of their development issues from before, but won't be dropped entirely, just moved to later games in the series. It sounds like it's still going to be a complete story, rather than just the first chapter in a much bigger one. Think Metal Gear Solid 1, which was built upon by later games, as opposed to Shenmue, which was intended to be twelve games, but Shenmue 2 was changed to include chapters 3, 4 and 5, with chapter 2 removed.

I'm not sure how to feel about this, since direct sequels in Final Fantasy was something that the series had always tried to avoid, until X-2. They all seemed to fall into the categories of unnecessary spin-off (XII Revenant Wings, the whole FFVII compilation, besides Crisis Core), complete tonal shift (X-2, XIII-2), or blatant pandering (IV The After Years). However, Final Fantasy Type-0 is also designed to be a series, with later entries being called Type-1, Type-2 etc. I hope to see sequels to XV if they can both improve the combat system, as well as develop even more impressive battles with the PS4 and Xbone hardware as they mature.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm getting tired of them trying to stretch their stories out into multi-game epics. I know it's probably a business decision, but I have zero faith in their ability to make a decent trilogy at this point.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I wouldn't mind if they were to stick with their original goal of that ridiculous Fabulous Nova Crystal or whatever the gently caress it's called nonsense where it's largely disconnected stories in the same universe/world instead of a serialized adventure with the same heroes.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

I'm getting tired of them trying to stretch their stories out into multi-game epics. I know it's probably a business decision, but I have zero faith in their ability to make a decent trilogy at this point.

Honestly, I feel the same way. Remember Xenogears: Episode V? :v:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Vanderdeath posted:

XIII and XIII-2 were both designed as self-contained stories. XIII-2 retconned the end of XIII in order for it to exist and XIII-3's existence depended on the success of XIII-2. They were probably going to turn the last Lightning DLC into a resolution of some kind if XIII-3 didn't make the cut.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
It definitely feels like they have their heads of up their asses. I like the look of FFXV, but first and foremost I want it to be a) a game that plays well, and b) a complete package. If they can build a trilogy out of a great game, then sure, whatever, I'm onboard. Before that, though, you need to make sure that the first game is actually good and finished before worrying about how it will fit into this other thing. Game sequels almost always look first to the cutting bin of the original for ideas, but you have to get there first, not spend 8 loving years in development hell occasionally making GBS threads out some vertical slices for us to ooh and aah at.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 15, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

WeaponBoy posted:

It definitely feels like they have their heads of up their asses. I like the look of FFXV, but first and foremost I want it to be a) a game that plays well
You saw the E3 trailer, right? Game looks fantastic. I think it'll be a lot of fun if they maintain such pacing.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

I feel like this is a lot like FF13's situation in that they will have to reuse FF15's assets and engine for more games in order to recoup the costs. 7 years of development with no definite end date in sight results in a hell of a lot of costs.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Srice posted:

I feel like this is a lot like FF13's situation in that they will have to reuse FF15's assets and engine for more games in order to recoup the costs. 7 years of development with no definite end date in sight results in a hell of a lot of costs.

XV's engine is based on Crystal Tools with some Luminous bits put in. The incentive to keep that engine with Luminous around the corner isn't very high, especially because Square has been ditching Crystal Tools. They rewrote the graphics engine for XIV to get away from it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Any specific reasons why? Seems like Crystal Tools was a bust.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 15, 2013

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It was. SE hasn't really had much success with that engine and was trying to hammer it into everything despite it not being adequate for the game. FFXIV suffered a lot of its initial problems do to it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
The game's not even out yet and now XV is a series? :what:

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Krad posted:

The game's not even out yet and now XV is a series? :what:

No. Not yet, anyway. Technically it's part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series still, I guess.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Any specific reasons why...XV is running on a modified Crystal Tools engine? I'm going to guess that's your question. It's because they started development on it years and years ago :v:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It was. SE hasn't really had much success with that engine and was trying to hammer it into everything despite it not being adequate for the game. FFXIV suffered a lot of its initial problems do to it.

You couldn't elaborate on any of the problems could you?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

You couldn't elaborate on any of the problems could you?

I really cant. I have no technical knowledge on what the deficiencies of the engine are other than it being poo poo for MMOs. The amount of culling it generated was obscene, it took forever to load players into screen, it melted your GPU for no apparent reason. All of it smelled of higher ups deciding that it had to be used to make the game despite what any game designer would say against it.

All of those issue have been solved ever since FFXIV moved to its new engine. It runs better, no issues loading or culling players on screen despite having hundreds of them at a time, all while looking better.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Is 14 running off a proprietary engine or is it running off of the next one?

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is 14 running off a proprietary engine or is it running off of the next one?

Proprietary. Redesigned just for the MMO. It might have aspects of luminous in it because Luminous is designed to be modular, but it's not the engine you see in Agni's Philosophy.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Good news for people excited for Lightning Returns: Lightning's "pose" was just for the demo only and was rejected from the game due to not fitting with her character.

Guess who wanted it in the final product?

Toriyama.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Good news for people excited for Lightning Returns: Lightning's "pose" was just for the demo only and was rejected from the game due to not fitting with her character.

Guess who wanted it in the final product?

Toriyama.

Jesus Christ, I hate him so much.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Do you have a source for that? That's great news - seems like S-E has some editor with some sense after all!

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 15, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Winks posted:

XV's engine is based on Crystal Tools with some Luminous bits put in. The incentive to keep that engine with Luminous around the corner isn't very high, especially because Square has been ditching Crystal Tools. They rewrote the graphics engine for XIV to get away from it.

Is that still the case? It sounds like that information may have been from when it was still being developed for the PS3 only, when the Luminous engine wasn't finished or designed for current-gen consoles. Since they showed off the tech demo last year, I assumed that XV is going to be using the full engine.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Renoistic posted:

Do you have a source for that? That's great news - seems like S-E has some editor with some sense after all!

I don't have a hard source for it, since it's just been bouncing about blogs and posts about the demo. There are going to be poses for each Schemata, too.

Edit: It looks like it was from a radio broadcast on S-E's Japan site. It's called "スクエニちゃん" Chan! and they do radio stuff every now and again.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 15, 2013

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Vanderdeath posted:

Honestly, as long as there's a satisfying conclusion to the game I'm fine. If there isn't, they better hope the game doesn't bomb hard.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I was worried that XV would have the same problems that XIII had, in regards to having to fit the story around pre-rendered FMVs that were made several years ago. However, it looks like XV uses all-new renders, with some subtle differences.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
They made the XIII cutscenes way before the actual game?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Winks posted:

Proprietary. Redesigned just for the MMO. It might have aspects of luminous in it because Luminous is designed to be modular, but it's not the engine you see in Agni's Philosophy.

14 looks... okay. Been playing the BETA. Can we BETA talk in here or is there a better thread?

Cause I sure as hell have some questions. :P

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

They made the XIII cutscenes way before the actual game?

Yes. Making cutscenes of that quality takes a really long time and is very expensive and so they built them beforehand. That is why Lightning's gravity device appears, breaks, and then mysteriously fixes itself for the later cutscene.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Is that still the case? It sounds like that information may have been from when it was still being developed for the PS3 only, when the Luminous engine wasn't finished or designed for current-gen consoles. Since they showed off the tech demo last year, I assumed that XV is going to be using the full engine.

They've made a big deal about the lighting being from Luminous. I imagine they'd make the same big deal if they transitioned completely to Luminous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

I was worried that XV would have the same problems that XIII had, in regards to having to fit the story around pre-rendered FMVs that were made several years ago. However, it looks like XV uses all-new renders, with some subtle differences.

I've never seen such beautiful old men. :allears: