Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

CaptainHollywood posted:

You poor fool! Where in the series are you?

Just started season 4. It's crazy to hear them referencing the year 2007 (I think) at the end of season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

krushgroove posted:

I'll be looking to start The West Wing soon, I wish I would have watched it when it was more topical.

It's still pretty topical!

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
Just finished seasons 1 and 2 of Sherlock. Utterly amazing show! Anyone on the fence about checking it out, as I was, do yourself a favor and queue it up.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
After someone told me it is the french version of The Shield i'm watching Braquo... they weren't wrong, but its got swearing, and titties.

Set in Paris, aired in 2009 and 2011, two seasons so far, supposedly cancelled but apparently there is another season this year.

Urge to check it out.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.

bobkatt013 posted:

How is the music on Spike compare with Netflix. I am almost positive the Netflix versions are edited.

You mean the basic sound? I havent noticed any difference but I am not an audiophile. I watch the Spike shows in "HD." I put it in perrefences because it isnt letterbox format and the picture quality is sloppier than the Netflix episodes, its like Star Trek Next Gen reruns on the channel. But since it is in HD, maybe the sound transfer is in HD - I dont know.

Are you saying the Netflix episodes, besides the stuff I mentioned, are also edited shorter than normal?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of shows on Netflix have edited soundtracks. I've noticed it with Sports Night especially when I compare it with my DVDs. They don't have the rights to the songs or something.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Smirr posted:

Black Mirror always seems to have problems with unintentional humour, but that was the most egregious example of it yet.

Example? I don't think Black Mirror has a problem with unintentional humor at all, I think it's absolutely hilarious satire that doesn't telegraph its punchilnes or dance around and point at them to make sure nobody misses the point.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Mu Zeta posted:

A lot of shows on Netflix have edited soundtracks. I've noticed it with Sports Night especially when I compare it with my DVDs. They don't have the rights to the songs or something.

Ugh the end of the first episode of season 2 is sooooooo bad on Netflix

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm going through Supernatural right now and so far I'm really enjoying Season 6. Sam being a :spergin: is the most amazing thing.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

computer parts posted:

I'm going through Supernatural right now and so far I'm really enjoying Season 6. Sam being a :spergin: is the most amazing thing.

I'm rewatching Supernatural at the moment, and I'm almost done with season 6. It seems a lot better the second time around, but maybe that's because I don't have to wait a week after a mediocre episode.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Just did several Sci-Fi binges, got through revolution and falling skies and now watching continuum. I honestly like all three shows, despite both falling skies and revolution sometimes suffer from retarded protagonist decisions and techno-magic solving problems.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Mu Zeta posted:

The Netflix version of Dawson's Creek doesn't have its theme song.

Like why even bother putting it up?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Fall Belfast serial killer cop show, gritty, got some really great camera work, Gillian Anderson is in it. First season just finished in the UK, Check it

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Rocksicles posted:

The Fall Belfast serial killer cop show, gritty, got some really great camera work, Gillian Anderson is in it. First season just finished in the UK, Check it

Oh man, I forgot about this one. I saw a preview a few months ago and got really excited about it. And bonus - it's on Netflix. I'm definitely checking this out, it looks really good.

Rocksicles posted:

After someone told me it is the french version of The Shield i'm watching Braquo... they weren't wrong, but its got swearing, and titties.

Set in Paris, aired in 2009 and 2011, two seasons so far, supposedly cancelled but apparently there is another season this year.

Urge to check it out.

Another crime drama I really want to watch, especially after just finishing The Shield for the first time, but the ignorant American in me can't get over subtitles. Just curious if you speak French, and if having to read subtitles takes anything away from it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Exploder posted:

Another crime drama I really want to watch, especially after just finishing The Shield for the first time, but the ignorant American in me can't get over subtitles. Just curious if you speak French, and if having to read subtitles takes anything away from it.

no you either concentrate or you miss something... makes it an intense watch.

I'm english we have hated frogs longer than you. But when they nail something you have to give them credit.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
If anyone is looking for shows to watch and has not seen Hannibal yet, I can not recommend it enough. In terms of quality it's right up there with game of thrones, mad men, breaking bad and the wire, hell I think it's better then most of these. The acting, the cinematography, the pacing, the story it's all incredible. There is not a single bad thing I can say about it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Would I like Hannibal if I didn't like the movies or horror stuff in general? I love gritty dark shows however.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
It's gritty and dark as hell. Also if you like David Lynch it's the show for you (some very obvious but very well done homages to him).

I don't think it goes into horror territory more then a couple of times. Unless you consider showing mutilated bodies horror. Whether you liked the movies or not should not be a factor if you like the show. It's very different.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

leidend posted:

Would I like Hannibal if I didn't like the movies or horror stuff in general? I love gritty dark shows however.

There's a fair amount of disturbing images and body horror of serial killer victims that are a bit disturbing, but it's not really played for horror, beyond a certain sense of "That's just hosed up." It's a weird show in the sense that if you like gritty gritty dark shows, you'll probably like it, despite the fact that it's probably one of the most gorgeous shows on TV. But I know what you meant.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hannibal feels more gruesome to me than anything on HBO or Starz.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

What's Braquo season 2 like? It seemed like they really painted themselves into a corner at the end of the first season.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
shits hosed up yo

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Longmire. This poo poo is dope.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

T. Finninho posted:

Longmire. This poo poo is dope.

dudes like Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Jorah Mormont rolled into one. in a $3,000 jacket.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Trig Discipline posted:

Example? I don't think Black Mirror has a problem with unintentional humor at all, I think it's absolutely hilarious satire that doesn't telegraph its punchilnes or dance around and point at them to make sure nobody misses the point.

You know, I'm going to have to recant that statement as well. I wrote that when I had misunderstood the ending of The Waldo Moment, and that misunderstanding sort of colored everything about the series. All the examples I could come up with now for unintentionally funny stuff in Black Mirror are also things where making you laugh uneasily might well be (i.e. is) the point. I was mainly thinking of a couple of scenes in Be Right Back where the android/cyborg is introduced and, since they didn't explicitly go into the ethical implications of that kind of thing at first, I was rolling my eyes for a bit there (scenes like grabbing his junk, or him making a mole pop out from out of nowhere), because I assumed they were mostly going for body horror. But then they did manage to open up the ethical implications - in a very elegant way by SF standards to boot - and I guess that Waldo misunderstanding made me forget that Be Right Back actually knew exactly what it was doing at every moment.

The other thing is that I didn't like 15 Million Merits very much, but I shouldn't have mistaken my eye-rolling refusal to believe that they're actually going with that concept for unintentional humor. And even that episode was saved by a marvelous ending. So here's the bottom line: I'm going to shut up about Black Mirror now. :shobon:

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Does Sherlock not have a TV thread?

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

MVP posted:

Does Sherlock not have a TV thread?

If it does, I can't find one. HOW THE gently caress DID HE SURVIVE THE FALL?!?

Also does Trailer Park Boys have a thread yet?

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

RYYSZLA posted:

If it does, I can't find one. HOW THE gently caress DID HE SURVIVE THE FALL?!?

Also does Trailer Park Boys have a thread yet?

And why did Moriarty kill himself? :suspense:

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

MVP posted:

And why did Moriarty kill himself? :suspense:

Because, kinda signalled by the tapping code he does beforehand, Moriarty's whole deal in this show is a whole "binary" thing, It's a game that he either wins or loses, and by forcing sherlock into a position where he either jumps and dies, or doesnt his friends die - he probably considers this to be win-win for him, whether he lives or dies isnt important because he can't lose.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

Rapsey posted:

It's gritty and dark as hell. Also if you like David Lynch it's the show for you (some very obvious but very well done homages to him).

I don't think it goes into horror territory more then a couple of times. Unless you consider showing mutilated bodies horror. Whether you liked the movies or not should not be a factor if you like the show. It's very different.

Well drat, I'm sold. You had me at David Lynch. I was going to start "The Fall" tonight, but it looks like I'm watching Hannibal instead.

edit:
Just watched the pilot. Pretty drat solid, and I can see the Lynch influence. I have no idea who these actors are who play Dr. Lecter and Will, but I like them already. Too bad I only recorded the first three episodes, and that NBC only carries 5 episodes at a time on demand. Looks like I'll be 9 bucks poorer.

Exploder fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jun 16, 2013

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I just cleared through the first season of Mad Men. I really liked it for the most part. The one complaint I've had is January Jones. Am I completely wrong in thinking she's physically unable to emote?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Then everyone who has ever watched mad men would be wrong as well.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Rapsey posted:

That's a relief. I thought there was some hidden depth behind her plank of plywood stare that I was missing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rapsey posted:

Or seen anything with her in it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Ugh that episode with her babysitting the neighbor's kid in season 1 is unbearable. I can't watch season 1 again.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
shes bloody awful in everything, worst actor in First Class

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Ugh that episode with her babysitting the neighbor's kid in season 1 is unbearable. I can't watch season 1 again.

It doesn't help that Matthew Weiner cast his own son as Glen. OK, he's a child actor, so cut him some slack. Then he has to share the majority of his scenes with Kiernan Shipka. Who is actually a phenomenal actress for her age.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

thrakkorzog posted:

It doesn't help that Matthew Weiner cast his own son as Glen. OK, he's a child actor, so cut him some slack. Then he has to share the majority of his scenes with Kiernan Shipka. Who is actually a phenomenal actress for her age.

They did realize that he is creepy and they really amp it up in later seasons.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I've been going through the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares and gently caress me are there some real jackasses in this show. Ramsay isn't the problem, it's people like the owners of Dovecote and Flamangoes and poo poo that get on my nerves. They're all self-deluded, clueless jackasses that can't cook their way out of a paper bag. Who the gently caress just up and one day goes "hm, owning a restaurant sounds cool, I'll get right loving on that out of loving nowhere"? Jesus, these people are absolute spastics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I've been going through the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares and gently caress me are there some real jackasses in this show. Ramsay isn't the problem, it's people like the owners of Dovecote and Flamangoes and poo poo that get on my nerves. They're all self-deluded, clueless jackasses that can't cook their way out of a paper bag. Who the gently caress just up and one day goes "hm, owning a restaurant sounds cool, I'll get right loving on that out of loving nowhere"? Jesus, these people are absolute spastics.

If it makes you feel any better, in the American version, they have a horrible restaurant that was basically just a money laundering front. And then they invited Ramsay to give them tips for some reason.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Jun 16, 2013