Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pollyanna posted:

I've been going through the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares and gently caress me are there some real jackasses in this show. Ramsay isn't the problem, it's people like the owners of Dovecote and Flamangoes and poo poo that get on my nerves. They're all self-deluded, clueless jackasses that can't cook their way out of a paper bag. Who the gently caress just up and one day goes "hm, owning a restaurant sounds cool, I'll get right loving on that out of loving nowhere"? Jesus, these people are absolute spastics.

That's why only 30% of restaurants make it past the first year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Binged through all 7 seasons of Dexter the last few weeks. Kind gets repetitive after Season 3. Always "try to learn from the big bad" at the beginning and then in the end "should have killed him right away".

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

GaussianCopula posted:

Binged through all 7 seasons of Dexter the last few weeks. Kind gets repetitive after Season 3. Always "try to learn from the big bad" at the beginning and then in the end "should have killed him right away".

Yeah, pretty much. The last season was definitely the worst, unfortunately it's not the last.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My wife and I recently wrapped up Game of Thrones (along with everyone else) and the excellent first season of Orphan Black, which was a pleasant surprise. We're almost through the first three seasons of Arrested Development (my third time through and her first), but part of me is almost hesitant to resubscribe to Netflix and watch the new season. I was never excited about the show coming back because it was so great and wrapped things up so perfectly. But I'm sure we'll get to it at some point.

After that, it would be nice to have something new to get into, ideally together. Together we loved The Wire, Louie, Dollhouse, Veronica Mars, The Americans, Childrens Hospital, and the first several seasons of How I Met Your Mother, and I like Breaking Bad, Parks & Recreation, Deadwood, Archer, Venture Bros., Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Lost, and Happy Endings (but she doesn't, for any number of reasons). I also enjoyed Justified, but haven't seen the most current season because it doesn't stream for free on Amazon Prime.

I watched the first two episodes of Mad Men and hated them, and despite lots of recommendations, I just don't think I would like Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, or Farscape (and my wife definitely wouldn't). I thought the first two seasons of Dexter were solid, but I've heard it gets repetitive and goes downhill from there, so I'm not interested. I probably would like Hannibal, but I've already missed the first several episodes and they're no longer available for free online.

So I keep thinking about trying Fringe, but it seems like quite a time commitment, especially since I hear the earlier procedural episodes are a real slog. I can't think of too many other options, though.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 16, 2013

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe
e: ^ ^ Fringe, to me at least, tried to be like X-files. It feel flat after the first few episodes for me. I would suggest watching a couple episodes, but I really thought it was poor Sci-Fi.

What's the general consensus on Hemlock Grove? Thinking about marathoning it today.

Kempo Yellow Belt fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 16, 2013

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Have you tried Boardwalk Empire Voodoo?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Lugaloco posted:

Have you tried Boardwalk Empire Voodoo?

I/we have not, but I'm going to cancel my HBO any day now, so starting on it isn't really feasible.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

I've been going through the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares and gently caress me are there some real jackasses in this show. Ramsay isn't the problem, it's people like the owners of Dovecote and Flamangoes and poo poo that get on my nerves. They're all self-deluded, clueless jackasses that can't cook their way out of a paper bag. Who the gently caress just up and one day goes "hm, owning a restaurant sounds cool, I'll get right loving on that out of loving nowhere"? Jesus, these people are absolute spastics.

I like the UK version of this show so much more than the US one because it's not all sensationalised angry confrontation, you get the impression that Ramsey genuinely wants to help turn these restaurants around despite the general idiocy of the owners.

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I/we have not, but I'm going to cancel my HBO any day now, so starting on it isn't really feasible.

If I were you, I'd hold off on canceling it. Boardwalk Empire is really drat good.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Hannibal man. Watch that poo poo. It's the best show no one watches.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I'm a few episodes into season 2 of Farscape. I'm enjoying it so far, but some of these episodes are pretty hosed up.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I recently wrapped up Game of Thrones (along with everyone else) and the excellent first season of Orphan Black, which was a pleasant surprise. We're almost through the first three seasons of Arrested Development (my third time through and her first), but part of me is almost hesitant to resubscribe to Netflix and watch the new season. I was never excited about the show coming back because it was so great and wrapped things up so perfectly. But I'm sure we'll get to it at some point.

After that, it would be nice to have something new to get into, ideally together. Together we loved The Wire, Louie, Dollhouse, Veronica Mars, The Americans, Childrens Hospital, and the first several seasons of How I Met Your Mother, and I like Breaking Bad, Parks & Recreation, Deadwood, Archer, Venture Bros., Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Lost, and Happy Endings (but she doesn't, for any number of reasons). I also enjoyed Justified, but haven't seen the most current season because it doesn't stream for free on Amazon Prime.

I watched the first two episodes of Mad Men and hated them, and despite lots of recommendations, I just don't think I would like Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica, Dr. Who, or Farscape (and my wife definitely wouldn't). I thought the first two seasons of Dexter were solid, but I've heard it gets repetitive and goes downhill from there, so I'm not interested. I probably would like Hannibal, but I've already missed the first several episodes and they're no longer available for free online.

So I keep thinking about trying Fringe, but it seems like quite a time commitment, especially since I hear the earlier procedural episodes are a real slog. I can't think of too many other options, though.

Seeing as how you liked Buffy and Angel, I'd recommend Supernatural. Great show about monsters, with a great story arc running through the first five seasons. Also, it's really funny.

I also recommend Person of Interest to anyone who'll listen. It's one of the best shows I've come across in a long time.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 16, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

richardfun posted:

Seeing as how you liked Buffy and Angel, I'd recommend Supernatural. Great show about monsters, with a great story arc running through the first five seasons. Also, it's really funny.

I also recommend Person of Interest to everybody who'll listen. It's one of the best shows I've come across in a long time.

Supernatural also has some of the same writers of Buffy and Angel. Also if you like them I suggest Spartacus as it is similar to Game of Thrones and it too has the same writers as Buffy and Angel.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Supernatural also has some of the same writers of Buffy and Angel. Also if you like them I suggest Spartacus as it is similar to Game of Thrones and it too has the same writers as Buffy and Angel.

Second the Spartacus recommendation. Awesome show with not a single filler episode in the entire run and, especially in the first season and the prequel, superb writing. Not for the faint of heart though.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Jingleheimer posted:

I'm a few episodes into season 2 of Farscape. I'm enjoying it so far, but some of these episodes are pretty hosed up.

Season 2 and 3 are the best, especially season 3. Season 4 starts really weak and doesn't really get good until the later half.

I spend the weekend bingin through first season of Supernatural, missed the series back when it was aired originally and only remembered it, since it got mentioned here or in another thread. Do they keep up the monster of the week format in the later seasons or do they get more season long story driven? I don't mind the whole monster of the week format, but I honestly prefer the other type.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Equester posted:

Season 2 and 3 are the best, especially season 3. Season 4 starts really weak and doesn't really get good until the later half.

I spend the weekend bingin through first season of Supernatural, missed the series back when it was aired originally and only remembered it, since it got mentioned here or in another thread. Do they keep up the monster of the week format in the later seasons or do they get more season long story driven? I don't mind the whole monster of the week format, but I honestly prefer the other type.

It becomes more story driven and you get one offs every now and then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Equester posted:

Seasons 1 & 2 are mostly monster of the week with some overarching story about Yellow Eyes. 3-5 are one big story about demons, with some random monster stories to break it up a little. Season 6 has some drama so far but it's very disorganized, and I haven't gone past that.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

computer parts posted:

Seasons 1 & 2 are mostly monster of the week with some overarching story about Yellow Eyes. 3-5 are one big story about demons, with some random monster stories to break it up a little. Season 6 has some drama so far but it's very disorganized, and I haven't gone past that.

Season 6 starts off iffy, but gets better. I'm doing a rewatch for the first time right now, and it's still good. They just seemed to have lost their footing a bit after wrapping up the story arc from the first five seasons.

Stick with it, it's still fun!

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

harlequin baby posted:

e: ^ ^ Fringe, to me at least, tried to be like X-files. It feel flat after the first few episodes for me. I would suggest watching a couple episodes, but I really thought it was poor Sci-Fi.

I feel I have to give a second opinion on Fringe. The X-Files comparison, while certainly fitting in the beginning, becomes irrelevant pretty quickly with the path Fringe takes. The main arc is about a billion times better and season 3 is some of the best sci-fi there is. And with that I certainly wouldn't want to knock the quality of any of the other seasons ("White Tulip" was and still is a work of art). Fringe is pretty bold in the way it has no qualms about shaking up the status quo every once in a while, and yet manages to pull all the story threads together in a satisfying final season and finale. Along the way, you get to watch John Noble being brilliant over and over again.

Watch Fringe.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

DominoDancing posted:

I feel I have to give a second opinion on Fringe. The X-Files comparison, while certainly fitting in the beginning, becomes irrelevant pretty quickly with the path Fringe takes. The main arc is about a billion times better and season 3 is some of the best sci-fi there is. And with that I certainly wouldn't want to knock the quality of any of the other seasons ("White Tulip" was and still is a work of art). Fringe is pretty bold in the way it has no qualms about shaking up the status quo every once in a while, and yet manages to pull all the story threads together in a satisfying final season and finale. Along the way, you get to watch John Noble being brilliant over and over again.

Watch Fringe.

My avatar agrees with you.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Finally caught up with all the Entourage shows. Wow. Much better and deeper than I thought it would be.

DominoDancing posted:

Watch Fringe.

Pretty much this.

SmokinDan
Oct 24, 2010
Fringe is great for the first three seasons and not so great for the last two.

Still worth watching all the way through, though and season 5 improves upon the terrible 4th, at least.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Just started watching The Newsroom tonight. Can't believe it's taken me almost four full episodes to realize it's just Sorkin taking pot shots at the media. But I still love it.

Edit: Also, Allison Pill is so loving cute it's unreal.

And Olivia Munn is surprisingly good at being a real actress.

Captain Trips fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 17, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Les Revenants French supernatural drama. think its on british tv now as The Remenents

very creepy, 9/10

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Les Revenants is really good. It's like a zombie show for people who are sick of or never liked zombies. By that I mean it's not really a zombie show at all.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Sorry wrong thread.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Fringe started off pretty interesting but it basically just turns into a really boring love story. The show suffers exactly the same way Lost did.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

SmokinDan posted:

Fringe is great for the first three seasons and not so great for the last two.

Still worth watching all the way through, though and season 5 improves upon the terrible 4th, at least.

I don't think Season 4 is terrible so much as it takes a while to find its footing again after dealing with the aftermath of Season 3 in a questionable manner. I'd still rate Season 1 as the weakest overall season.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

harlequin baby posted:

What's the general consensus on Hemlock Grove? Thinking about marathoning it today.

Fringe doesn't really get good until late first season / second season. It gives off strong X-Files vibes early and doesn't quite meet the expectation in that regard. But it finds its own path.

It's an amazing show and if you are remotely a scifi fan then you are missing out on a winner.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Fringe pissed me off so much watching it on TV. I was lucky enough to burn through most of the seasons of lost, only watching the last season and a half week by week. Then doing another J.J Abrams show with the style of"heres 30 loving mysteries i won't reveal for 3 seasons" week by week killed fringe for me. I'm caught up to season 3 or 4, but i just can't bring myself to attempt to get back into the show after so long.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I, too, have been burning through a lot of Gordon Ramsay's material. I thoroughly enjoyed Kitchen Nightmares (UK) and am currently going through Hell's Kitchen (US) and just finished season 4 tonight.

Are there any other television shows or movies similar the the UK version? Doesn't necessarily have to be Ramsay, but definitely looking for more cooking style reality or documentary stuff.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
pretty much anything by Rick Stein dude... the guy is a legend. he talks about food like its music.

His Tastes the Blues where in the Mississippi Delta is magic.

Watch this... this is a show about food, not a cooking show like the Ramsey rubbish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Op5Bytzp_0

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 18, 2013

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

kloa posted:

I, too, have been burning through a lot of Gordon Ramsay's material. I thoroughly enjoyed Kitchen Nightmares (UK) and am currently going through Hell's Kitchen (US) and just finished season 4 tonight.

Are there any other television shows or movies similar the the UK version? Doesn't necessarily have to be Ramsay, but definitely looking for more cooking style reality or documentary stuff.

See F-word for Ramsay at his best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NQ6YHPTfdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwPmLwW1-PA

pigdog fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 18, 2013

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I really love Bourdain's travel/food shows. Last 2/3 seasons of no reservations and his current show parts uknown on cnn is fantastic.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I watched all of the original Ramsay videos on Youtube because of a talk Bourdain did where he said that was Gordon at his best. I loved those and I love Bourdain's shows even more.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
If you're a big fan of Bourdain you could also watch Kitchen Confidential, starring Bradley Cooper. I haven't read any of Bourdain's books, but apparently the show is an adaptation of one of them. Bradley Cooper is (I think) a stand in for a young Anthony Bourdain at a restaurant in NYC and the show is about all his antics as a somewhat accomplished, younger chef.

Anyways, the show is pretty good. Not great, in my opinion, but pretty good, and worth watching since it didn't last more than a season or two.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I've been (slowly) binging through Miami Vice recently. And, despite having watched and being a giant fan of The Wire and Breaking Bad's gritty, (mostly) realistic style, I actually really like everything about it! The glitzy colorful style, Crockett's pastel suits and the 80s pop soundtrack - it all just works for me (I was actually kind of worried that The Wire would ruin other shows for me due to how good it was, since I've heard quite a few people say that :v:, but turns out I don't have that problem). There's been a couple of weak moments, but barring these, so far the show's been way better than what I thought it'd be.

Watching the 14th episode of Season 2 - One Way Ticket - right now.

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 18, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Busting a bit of Chris Ryan's Strike Back at the moment, then onto Strike Back: Project Dawn and Strike Back: Vengeance Season 4 starts around September...Production diary videos

Tacticool :spergin:

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 20, 2013

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Whats the opinion of Prison Break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Crunkjuice posted:

Whats the opinion of Prison Break?

IIRC just watch season 1 and pretend the other seasons do not exist.

I watched all of it though, because I watched it as it aired and wasn't aware how bad it would become.