Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Happy Father's Day to any dads in here. I made donuts again, no cronuts this time. Too much work, but I did melt down a comically oversized toblerone triangle my wife got me and use it as a glaze.

Next weekend I'm making salads for breakfast or something...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

mindphlux posted:

if by therapy you mean having good friends to talk to, then ok

otherwise...

Heh.
I'm probably one of those people that should be in proper therapy as I'm pretty self destructive and physically moved away from any good friends through no choice of mine own but for financial reasons.
But in saying that, talking about my lovely situation, vocalizing the fact that my future is destined to be a life of mediocrity out loud to even a therapist would destroy me mentally. I only wake up each day because denial gives me the strength to carry on. Speaking about it would turn depression into a breakdown where sharps would have to be kept locked away from me.
I'll take rivers in Egypt, Alex.
edit:
Also I will say when being hosed up and have nothing to do except drink, don't decide to spend some time reading history, when suicide was so de rigueur

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 16, 2013

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

mindphlux posted:

if by therapy you mean having good friends to talk to, then ok

otherwise...

Ideally, both. My therapist won't meet me at a bar at a moment's notice and my friends can't write prescriptions.

You'd be surprised at the value of having someone around whose job it is to make your life better and only has to tolerate you for an hour a week.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Eh, I have a priest.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Happy Father's Day to any dads in here. I made donuts again, no cronuts this time. Too much work, but I did melt down a comically oversized toblerone triangle my wife got me and use it as a glaze.

Next weekend I'm making salads for breakfast or something...

Fishbulb is there a recipe for the cronuts you made? Or is it just "shape like donut, fry like donut"

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, I have a priest.

The kind that uses a bible, or the kind you use on a rabbit? Because I imagine both would work when used in different ways.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, I have a priest.

Effective?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Fo3 posted:

Heh.
I'm probably one of those people that should be in proper therapy as I'm pretty self destructive and physically moved away from any good friends through no choice of mine own but for financial reasons.
But in saying that, talking about my lovely situation, vocalizing the fact that my future is destined to be a life of mediocrity out loud to even a therapist would destroy me mentally. I only wake up each day because denial gives me the strength to carry on. Speaking about it would turn depression into a breakdown where sharps would have to be kept locked away from me.
I'll take rivers in Egypt, Alex.
edit:
Also I will say when being hosed up and have nothing to do except drink, don't decide to spend some time reading history, when suicide was so de rigueur
It's better when you vocalize it, swear to god. You will be able to act, and you can make your mediocrity the best mediocrity possible, which can be pretty doap in one of the richest countries in the world.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

Fishbulb is there a recipe for the cronuts you made? Or is it just "shape like donut, fry like donut"

I didn't go too much into detail in here, but i posted a few more details and pictures in the bread thread, but never a full recipie because I got caught up with some houseguests, for the dough I used this recipe (without the figs and stuff) to make a laminated brioche (not croaissants, I'm a cheater) After that it was just sugar on the sides, chocolate ganache on the tops, whipped cream/cream cheese/powdered sugar filling etc...

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

therattle posted:

I've been therapy for a while. It's done a power of good.

dino., you need to ease off the vigorous sex. Hope the back gets better.

I'm in Tuscany. God it's beautiful. We are staying on a really quiet peaceful biodynamic farm. The produce around here is so good. Everything is delicious.

Careful you don't step on a cow skull!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Cheddar and sour cream Ruffles make me gag every time.

A house I lived in was given like 3 pallets of these that fell off a truck somewhere. I lasted about a week before the smell made me feel ill. One dude ate them pretty much exclusively for like a month.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Did you just quote a 5 month old post?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PokeJoe posted:

Did you just quote a 5 month old post?
Check the date again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I might have. The Awful app works in mysterious ways.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Someone put their hands on our little muffin.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nigella-lawson-attacked-husband-see-1955564

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
gently caress. That's terrible to hear. Domestic abuse sucks. :(

First round of physical therapy this morning, and I feel great. So great that I haven't needed my pills at all so far.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

So horrible. :( I have kind of mixed feelings on the fact that nobody sitting at the restaurant intervened... It's nobody's business but their own that they're fighting, but in my opinion it certainly becomes other peoples' business when someone's doing something so obviously, horrifically wrong and unacceptable out in public, like grabbing your wife's throat FOUR SEPARATE TIMES in a single outing. It almost certainly wouldn't have helped the situation to have some kneejerk-angry feminist like me come over and yell at the guy though. What a piece of human garbage, ugh. :(

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, I have a priest.

I'm super curious about how that works for you.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Clavietika posted:

I'm super curious about how that works for you.

What about it? It's fantastic.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Steve Yun posted:

Check the date again.

Haha, whoops.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Mr. Wiggles posted:

What about it? It's fantastic.
I guess my biggest general worry would be that he wouldn't have an answer as to why I shouldn't be doing something apart from "You'll go to hell if you do." as opposed to actually looking at my problems and having a solid, thoughtful answer like a therapist would. As a woman, most organized religion also kind of intimidates me. Having a priest that disagreed with divorce (Til death) would be extremely problematic and claustrophobic for me too. I think a lot of priests have counselling degrees of sorts nowadays though, so that helps.

I'm a really skeptical antitheist and really shouldn't/don't want to open a :can: but my major, specific concern would be how a priest could help me cope with an abortion without shaming me into thinking I'm a babykiller. Or really anything that went against my religion that saves lives like organ donation. This is absolutely me projecting my fears onto the catholic church though and not in any way actual experiences of mine.

edit: vvvv Yeah I'm definitely projecting/overthinking various hypocrisies and other flat-out wrong stuff about religion in general but there's nothing really drawing me to any religions either. I dig what the most recent pope said recently about how people should just be good and do good to get into heaven, but then the church itself went and contradicted him so that was pretty disappointing. I've always kind of questioned why people would need incentive to be good people, too.

Clavietika fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 17, 2013

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Clavietika posted:

I guess my biggest general worry would be that he wouldn't have an answer as to why I shouldn't be doing something apart from "You'll go to hell if you do." as opposed to actually looking at my problems and having a solid, thoughtful answer like a therapist would. As a woman, most organized religion also kind of intimidates me. Having a priest that disagreed with divorce (Til death) would be extremely problematic and claustrophobic for me too. I think a lot of priests have counselling degrees of sorts nowadays though, so that helps.

I'm a really skeptical antitheist and really shouldn't/don't want to open a :can: but my major, specific concern would be how a priest could help me cope with an abortion without shaming me into thinking I'm a babykiller. Or really anything that went against my religion that saves lives like organ donation. This is absolutely me projecting my fears onto the catholic church though and not in any way actual experiences of mine.

Most religion isn't like that :ssh:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Not even most Catholicism is like that. Granted, there are some lovely priests, but I've found for the most part they're pretty fantastic. My current priest practiced family law in Colombia until coming to the states in the 80s, so he's got a cool perspective on that - the priest before was a major time liberation theologist advocate for the underclass and women's rights.

But even the super conservative priests I know are much more "I'm not here to judge you, I'm here to listen to you and if you feel like you did wrong, forgive you so that you can sleep soundly about it." There's no scarlet letters or crazy pennances or anything, because it's not the point.

There is also good food and lots of wine.

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Well that's pretty awesome. :) I've only really had bad experiences with judgmental catholics (My boyfriend's grandfather literally said to him once, "Get behind me, Satan!" but he's a worse antitheist than I am so it was almost certainly provoked :laugh: That's actually a hilarious story. His grandfather was saying he and his Knights of Columbus buddies could use his pain pills to knock my partner out and take him for a new education, and my partner was basically like "Good freaking luck!" And it went from there) and my weird youth pastor cousin and his wife's anti-choice facebook postings. This friend of mine from high school's dad was a priest, but I think knowing him at arms' length would have been a fine relationship because at face value he was just a Harry Potter-depriving wang.

To each their own though, and thanks very much for the insight! I'm sorry if my ignorance came off as insulting whatsoever.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I was raised catholic, and our parish priest was a cool guy. Volunteer fireman. Eventually left the order and married a woman.

I was an agnostic (according to the common definition) from age 8 to about 20. I am now an atheist because I'm a grownup.

Every time wiggles posts about catholicism I have to suppress the urge to troll.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pr0k posted:

I am now an atheist because I'm a grownup.

Well this was a mature and open discussion. :golfclap:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mature and open, just like pr0k's mom's legs.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not even most Catholicism is like that. Granted, there are some lovely priests, but I've found for the most part they're pretty fantastic.

From my experience, the practitioners are generally more intolerant than the priests.

The priest who is going to be officiating my wedding is independent because more and more of the churches in my area are being exposed as corrupt. He left, citing political reasons, and explained that most priests are good hearted, kind, and understanding. It's the higher-ups that start to give Catholicism a bad name to the general population.

I've seen someone thrown out by their parents for religious reasons only to be helped by a local priest. As much as I don't agree with some of the philosophies, for the most part priests become priest because they want to help people.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

I was raised catholic, and our parish priest was a cool guy. Volunteer fireman. Eventually left the order and married a woman.
:words:

Terrible cooks, too. They have all the ingredients for a decent baby soup, but noooope, I think I'll just eat a cracker. Jesus Christ. <- literally.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
I thank god for satan.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The best advice I was ever given as a young man was to "question authority, smoke pot, and worship the devil".

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Best advice I ever received as a young man was to be tolerant to others and respect them.

I believe the exact quote from my gramps was "you don't need to like anyone, but be kind to them and don't disrespect them".

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 17, 2013

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
The best advice I ever received was from my grandad who said, `You must gather your party before venturing forth. You must gather your party before venturing forth. You must gather your party before venturing forth.'

No, wait that wasn't grandpa that was a video game. I still think it's pretty good advice though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

gently caress. That's terrible to hear. Domestic abuse sucks. :(

Now the dickhead calls it a "playful tiff". Grr.

dino. posted:

First round of physical therapy this morning, and I feel great. So great that I haven't needed my pills at all so far.

Dino, sorry to be a bastard but

'cause that sounds to be what you need in the long run.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
feel better, Dino :(

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Agreed. Get back to normal then start doing some weights. Dead lifts, good mornings etc. And some rows, for upper back. Get dat back swole so this poo poo never happens again.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Lift? That's what the husband is for.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Women look good after lifting too.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

dino. posted:

Lift? That's what the husband is for.

Do curls with cans of chickpeas.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Do curls with cans of chickpeas.

In the squat rack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

FishBulb posted:

In the squat rack

You MONSTER