Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

PiCroft posted:

1)no, lights are unlimited on vehicles. Also, there isn't an engine battery to speak of so you only have to worry about battery power if your vehicle has an electric engine.

2)There isn't really any way to determine how much damage impacting a single creature does to your vehicle except to constantly monitor your vehicle's status. You can smash away to your hearts content though since I've mowed down legions and only gotten damage when I hit something solid like another vehicle or a building. If there is damage from hitting zombies, its miniscule.

3)LMOA Shelters, Military bunkers and (sometimes) Labs have stores of ammo. Also anywhere you can find automated turrets.

4)From the code, it looks like there is no difference in trying to sleep in a makeshift bed versus a "pre-built" one. This also seems to apply to rollmats.

Thanks, that was really helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It should be possible to make "deployable" bicycles. They could work off the same code as tents and shelters. Vehicles are basically just teleporting buildings anyway.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
How do you guide the zombies away because every time I try to do that a zombie dog comes along and ruins my day, or I get shocked to death by a shocker zombie.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

It should be possible to make "deployable" bicycles. They could work off the same code as tents and shelters. Vehicles are basically just teleporting buildings anyway.

A skateboard you can strap to your back. Hoverboard? It can go on water- if you got power.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Justin Time! posted:

How do you guide the zombies away because every time I try to do that a zombie dog comes along and ruins my day, or I get shocked to death by a shocker zombie.

If you have any sort of ranged capabilities, Shocker Zombies are incredibly easy to deal with as long as you stay 4-5 tiles away from them. At that distance, the first move after they fire a bolt of electricity, it'll either still be on its way to you, or will be spread out enough that you can carefully slip between bolts and out of the way of danger.

Dogs and other charging creatures however, I've found no good way of dealing with aside from spotting them while they're still far out, and throwing or shooting whatever you can at them, in the hopes that they'll either die or be near death by the time they get to you.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

The King of Swag posted:

I just looked through a few of the headers and source files; I'm not planning on adding or changing anything, I was just curious. The source is a loving mess though; it's written competently enough, but everything is hardcoded and it honestly looks like everything was done in the hardest way possible. Take the options source for example; if you wanted to add a new option, there's a dozen places you need to add it to. I actually just wrote an options class for my own project yesterday, and adding a new option is two lines:

code:
Preferences.myNewOption = aValue;
Preferences.descriptions.myNewOption "A description goes here.";
The preferences themselves are just a lua file that gets read; their values are then stored in an unordered_map so they can be quickly retrieved by name. Of course, the full class has a lot more to it than that, as you need to do a lot of error checking, ability to save preferences, the need to abstract the unordered_map so options are only accessed through the class interface, etc., but that's all code that only needs to be written once and then can stay the same no matter how many options you add or remove. I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the Cataclysm source could be drastically made better if it made judicious use of scripting for everything from options to items.

I just spotted this post and I can relate. I've been trying to make modifications of my own and its a nightmare. I'm assuming the bulk of what I'm looking at is Wales' work and it seems to me like he knew C, but wanted to try writing C++ but had no idea how. There's almost no object orientation.

Also, he used spaces instead of tabs to indent functions, if/else/for statements and such like which immediately lands him on my shitlist :colbert:

acidia
Oct 31, 2012
I'll admit some of the existing code is absolutely painful to decipher... on the other hand, when I send a pull request to the project I'm sure some of the more competent coders get headaches. My excuse is that I have zero experience with c/c++ prior to adding stuff to cataclysm. I spent an hour this morning trying to figure out why the hell npcs wouldn't spawn where you told them to, turns out I was using two sets of location coordinates associated with npcs that aren't tied to the overmap and I need to multiply said coordinates by two... because, magic.

Fun times were had.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

PiCroft posted:

I just spotted this post and I can relate. I've been trying to make modifications of my own and its a nightmare. I'm assuming the bulk of what I'm looking at is Wales' work and it seems to me like he knew C, but wanted to try writing C++ but had no idea how. There's almost no object orientation.

Also, he used spaces instead of tabs to indent functions, if/else/for statements and such like which immediately lands him on my shitlist :colbert:

Dear god the code layout in this annoys the poo poo out of me as well. Most of the time I spend modding this is working through the weird rear end code structure.

edit:

I've been thinking about how to make the end game a little more interesting, I might explore making the game a whole lot harder to survive in. The main hurtle is making sure the game isn't too hard at the start. Without NPCs to make things interesting the game in it's current form boils down to just surviving and gathering supplies, if you manage to get lucky and stumble across some crazy poo poo then it becomes a carebear fest and nothing can touch you.

I'm starting to prepare for the SA Game Jam which will occupy all of my GDA time since I'm a team lead this year, But I'm interested in hearing your ideas on how to keep the game intense into the late game. I may experiment with stripping the game down to the base stuff (no mutations, a-cult items, crazy zombie mutations) and add heavily tweaked versions of those systems back in over time tweaked around the player being the sole survivor. Maybe try and emulate the Left 4 Dead dynamic spawning system?

Seems like a fun gameplay design exercise to me!

Calipark fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 17, 2013

sexual Norm
Aug 23, 2007

It's like shaking hands with a professional armwrestler.
How do I use a military ID card on the card reader? I've tried every key I can think of.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

sexual Norm posted:

How do I use a military ID card on the card reader? I've tried every key I can think of.

stand next to it and examine in its direction using 'e' key. Almost everything in the game is interacted with by using the examine key.

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!
I think the main reason the game tends to become too easy/boring is that it is a sandbox game without no real goal. This is also the case with most pther sandbox games. Maybe if you were to add a (really difficult) endgame goal within a linear plot, things would become more interesting. Look at nethack, it's a roguelike with mostly random elements, but it still has a lot of replayability because you're striving for a goal (and you'll probably die 1000 times before reaching it).

I have no idea how to maintain a consistent (or even rising) difficulty throughout the game though. Maybe by segmenting the world into progressively more difficult areas, and requiring the player to keep moving forwards? As it is, the game's the most difficult when starting out, and gets easier for every action you make.

And a question: How the hell do you get enough batteries in this game? My welder keeps eating up stacks of 1000 units, and I need more! I'm checking electronic stores and stuff like that, but it takes ages to gather them one by one. I also raid outposts that have turrets, but even that isn't enough.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So, it seems you need "jack" to change tires on a car. Where could I find such a thing, assuming I'm on Vanilla .05?
What's the best place to find a RV?
Any pro-tips for creating cars/murder RVs?
Where can I find glass jars to create sealed meat? All I ever find is bottles. Alternately, what's a good bulk meat preservation technique?
Do refrigerators make food rot less fast?
Where do I find wild vegetables for dogfood?

Sorry for all the dumb questions - I'm just now getting set up in my first game to where I look at more than the next can of spam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TheKnife posted:

The font dimensions are set in the data/FONTDATA file
Just change the 8 to a 16 and you're good to go

Unfortunately that doesn't really work well. Text ends up having huge spacing between each letter, making it really hard to read.
Any other way?

Ergonomix
Apr 14, 2009

pffffff

T-man posted:

So, it seems you need "jack" to change tires on a car. Where could I find such a thing, assuming I'm on Vanilla .05?
What's the best place to find a RV?
Any pro-tips for creating cars/murder RVs?
Where can I find glass jars to create sealed meat? All I ever find is bottles. Alternately, what's a good bulk meat preservation technique?
Do refrigerators make food rot less fast?
Where do I find wild vegetables for dogfood?

Sorry for all the dumb questions - I'm just now getting set up in my first game to where I look at more than the next can of spam.

I can answer some of them:
You can find tons of jacks in garages, or hardware stores.
Grocery stores will usually have some stuff in jars, which you can then re use after eating the food in them. Otherwise, I occasionally find them in houses in kitchens, I think? You can also preserve meat by making it into jerky, using salt or salt water.
Refrigerators don't make food rot less fast.
To find wild vegetables, you have to search "underbrush" in forests a lot. They're the bright green # that aren't blueberry shrubs.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
Does anyone have any suggestions for inspecting items. When trying to inspect things with 'V' or 'e' you can't get the full description, you'd have to pick them up first.
The wiki suggests 'I' for compare can be used on non inventory items but I can't figure it out.

Menus like 'p' use '?' to modify use/inspect which is something I'd like to see incorporated into other places where items can be viewed but not inspected properly.
It's an issue I've had since Wales Cataclysm and as far as I'm aware there's no way to achieve it, so if anyone has a shocking revelation for me go ahead or will I have to wait.
The DDA team has done a fantastic job with other UI elements so far though.

lowwayman
Dec 26, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Unfortunately that doesn't really work well. Text ends up having huge spacing between each letter, making it really hard to read.
Any other way?

Oh sorry I misread you at first. The readability is just a side effect of having a square font overall, you'll just have to find one that's easier on the eyes or switch back to non-square.

lowwayman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 17, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Strumpie posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for inspecting items. When trying to inspect things with 'V' or 'e' you can't get the full description, you'd have to pick them up first.
The wiki suggests 'I' for compare can be used on non inventory items but I can't figure it out.

Use 'V' and then press 'e' when you've selected the item you're interested in with the arrow keys. Also, you can use '/' and press 'e' on an item you're next to after selecting the square it's in. You're right that 'e'xamining an item from the basic menu won't let you see the whole description though.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

T-man posted:

I don't know about your other questions, but I found that public works buildings are great for finding tools for fixing things. Welder's gear, occasional car parts, jacks, tools, metal, all sorts of things.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
You can usually find jacks in garages but really fixing and modifying cars without an integrated toolkit and metabolic interchange CBMs is just too much of a hassle.

The way I see it the easiest way to play the game is to find a semi-truck (a flatbed would do at first), an empty plastic bottle to fuel it, ride into town to find a gun shop and copies of "Under the Hood", "Mechanical Mastery", "Big Book of First Aid" and some of the Electronics books, raid labs looking for the aforementioned CBMs (A jackhammer or some M72s come in real handy even though boosting computer skill is real easy once you find a Melchior terminal) and just pimping your ride into an unstoppable death machine.

Add in an RV kitchen unit, craft a water purifier and fill your car with hundreds of liters of clear water. You're pretty much set. Carry a pointy stick and you never need to light a fire to cook your meat and refill your power reservoir.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 17, 2013

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I started using VeraMono as the font and set the dimensions to 12x12 not too long ago. Works pretty well, reading stuff isn't a chore and everything looks fine. Just plop the VeraMono.tff into data/font and change the font name minus the extension in the FONTDATA file.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

emanresu tnuocca posted:

You can usually find jacks in garages but really fixing and modifying cars without an integrated toolkit and metabolic interchange CBMs is just too much of a hassle.

The way I see it the easiest way to play the game is to find a semi-truck (a flatbed would do at first), an empty plastic bottle to fuel it, ride into town to find a gun shop and copies of "Under the Hood", "Mechanical Mastery", "Big Book of First Aid" and some of the Electronics books, raid labs looking for the aforementioned CBMs (A jackhammer or some M72s come in real handy even though boosting computer skill is real easy once you find a Melchior terminal) and just pimping your ride into an unstoppable death machine.

Add in an RV kitchen unit, craft a water purifier and fill your car with hundreds of liters of clear water. You're pretty much set. Carry a point stick and you never need to light a fire to cock your meat and refill your power reservoir.

No need to craft a water purifier and waste batteries, just use a pot and the hotplate inside the RV kitchen unit
The battery charges while you drive, and despite using the RV kitchen unit all the time I've always had a net increase in power until it was permanently full

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The nifty thing about the water purifier is that you can purify an entire jerrycan of water all at once instead of repeating the craft and having to pour the clean water into a new container.

And it isn't like batteries are in anyway scarce or that useful for anything other than flashlights once you have an integrated toolkit and metabolic interchange.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I got a mutation on a character that messed up my vision, it basically put "static" in, why did that happen? I died before I thought to take a screenshot of it.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Jack Trades posted:

Any other way?

You need to use a font that is actually intended to be square, such as Topaz-8 or cootue_curses_square_16x16. Its a bit harder to read then normal font, but you get used to it and makes the game more enjoyable in my opinion.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Justin Time! posted:

Hit them with your pipe until they stop moving

(there's probably only one or two fast ones in a pack, and you should be able to get far enough away from the rest to kill them before the mass catches up)

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Riolith posted:

You need to use a font that is actually intended to be square, such as Topaz-8 or cootue_curses_square_16x16. Its a bit harder to read then normal font, but you get used to it and makes the game more enjoyable in my opinion.

Topaz-8 at 20x20 fixed my previous problem of not being able to see most of the stuff on the screen; tile colors still weren't picked with enough contrast*, but 20x20 makes everything easily readable at 1080p.

* This may or may not be my monitor, as I've noticed the colors are quite a bit brighter if I tab out of the game to a bright window after playing for awhile, and tab back in.

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?

odd2k posted:

And a question: How the hell do you get enough batteries in this game? My welder keeps eating up stacks of 1000 units, and I need more! I'm checking electronic stores and stuff like that, but it takes ages to gather them one by one. I also raid outposts that have turrets, but even that isn't enough.

Keep in mind you can also unload batteries from electronic stuff (hotplates/flashlights/radios/soldering irons/etc). Batteries and electronic gear spawn more frequently in residential bedrooms and offices. If you want to stay out of the city though, drive around looking for some Science IDs then go through a lab or two, keeping an eye out for the dormitories. They have the same item list as other bedrooms, plus there are few enemies around until you've been making noise for a while.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So, two questions. One, why do semi trucks explode when I ram them into houses? Two, is there any way to stop this?

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012

WickedIcon posted:

So, two questions. One, why do semi trucks explode when I ram them into houses? Two, is there any way to stop this?

1. Why do you think?
2. Add more armor, go faster, or stop ramming into houses.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Doctor Doodler posted:

1. Why do you think?
2. Add more armor, go faster, or stop ramming into houses.

"Stop ramming into houses" is not an option (gently caress roads I make my own goddamn roads :black101:)

So if I put like 3 layers of superalloy plating over the gas tank it wouldn't blow up?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Probably. Don't put the gas tanks in the front. Or the engine, for that matter, if you're planning on ramming houses. You probably also want to put a layer of armor between your wheels and the sides for the inevitable time you fumble with the controls while going through so your wheels don't come in contact with the building.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Does running over zombies prevent them from reanimating? Or should I get out and chop them all up (ugh)?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
It'll destroy some of the bodies outright, but it'll still leave a lot of corpses you need to butcher to prevent them coming back.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Having to butcher bodies is a pretty lame mechanic. It doesn't add much in terms of fun. And there's not a lot of zombie worlds where that's how it works, though that's not really the point.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WickedIcon posted:

"Stop ramming into houses" is not an option (gently caress roads I make my own goddamn roads :black101:)

So if I put like 3 layers of superalloy plating over the gas tank it wouldn't blow up?

Actually if the wiki is right superalloy plating is quite a bit weaker than steel plating. Hard plating is the best.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Cosmik Debris posted:

Having to butcher bodies is a pretty lame mechanic. It doesn't add much in terms of fun. And there's not a lot of zombie worlds where that's how it works, though that's not really the point.

Most zombie lore has them returning unless the brain is destroyed or body is suitably wrecked. I don't mind it as a mechanic cause it prevents you from clearing out towns by just plowing through on your death machine. You need to go butcher or burn the bodies which isn't exactly a fun mechanic but neither is cleaning water or cooking food. But it's abit of a necessary chore to add challenge.

Moridin920 posted:

Actually if the wiki is right superalloy plating is quite a bit weaker than steel plating. Hard plating is the best.

And I've just realised roofs are made of steel plating. So no more scaveging scrap and crafting plate for me.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Marenghi posted:

You need to go butcher or burn the bodies which isn't exactly a fun mechanic but neither is cleaning water or cooking food. But it's abit of a necessary chore to add challenge.

It also encourages luring zombies into traps, or waiting for them to get close before taking your shot. That way you don't need to run halfway across your screen to get to the bodies and possibly pull more zombies.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's simply the tradeoff for static generation. If zombies didn't reanimate, cities would just empty out way too quickly, because no new zombies get spawned. If you don't want to deal with it, use dynamic mode. Zombies don't get back up then.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Boards are also sources of steel plating, as are playgrounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't like butchering them all the time, use weapons that involve lots of fire.

Fire purifies all things.

(That finger flamethrower bionic is great.)