Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Surprised, or disappointed?
I can't be surprised and disappointed at the same time?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Thadius posted:

I think the only way I would accept a replacement for my avatar is if somehow you could Sterv the BeardImapact and lose nothing.

I'm pretty sure that's impossible though.
Paging curiousTerminal! :v:

I saw that and my first thought was "how can i make sterv look really angry with a beard"
His eyes are too powerful though, I just can't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

curiousTerminal posted:

His eyes are too powerful though, I just can't do it.

Wait, whose eyes are too powerful?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Yes.

So are you going to just do DB quests in that sneak suit or anytime when you feel like stealth?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

xanthan posted:

Yes.

So are you going to just do DB quests in that sneak suit or anytime when you feel like stealth?

...well, uh, about that.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Nice butt.

Peddler of Smiles
Jan 21, 2013
I need to work on my impulse control. Just because someone says someone should do something, doesn't mean I should do that thing.

(I regret nothing)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Lizard Wizard posted:

Sterv's. I just can't make him look angry, especially not in a way like Beard Impact.

Thadius
Apr 2, 2010

ANGER HAS NEVER BEEN MORE MANLY THAN THIS
You could just try to Stervify the Beard Impact.

All that anger hardly befits me these days anyways.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Khajiit impact? :v:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I had a horrible dream...

STABBY STABBY STERV.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Ghostwoods posted:

STABBY STABBY STERV.

Jesus christ :gonk: it's like something out of a Deptford Histories book.

I love it

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ghostwoods posted:

STABBY STABBY STERV.

WHY WOULD YOU DREAM THAT?! :magical:

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams

Ghostwoods posted:

STABBY STABBY STERV.

AUUUUGH. :stonk: THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANT TO SEE WHEN I JUST WAKE UP.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Ghostwoods posted:

STABBY STABBY STERV.

I've never seen a game quite so perfectly summed up with one image before :golfclap:

Break
Feb 19, 2011

It's too bad Sterv had to kill that wolf. I really think they were kindred spirits :(

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Break posted:

It's too bad Sterv had to kill that wolf. I really think they were kindred spirits :(

That's how the wolf's face went when it died. :ssh:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that the scamps were helping you sneak into that house. :3:

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Roar posted:

It's been years so I'm not 100% but I'm pretty sure he's literally blind or something and that's why he can't see you?

Someone's ability to detect you is based on their Sneak skill as well as yours. The target's Sneak skill must be very low (possibly on purpose because this is one of the first DB missions they didn't want to make it too difficult). The bodyguard is actually the one you need to look out for as he'll detect you a lot easier.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

He just wanted to be friends with another creature cursed with goat eyes and with a face that always looks like you somehow lack depth perception when gazing upon it.

Seriously, even as a dead face that's unnerving.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

MeccaPrime posted:

Someone's ability to detect you is based on their Sneak skill as well as yours. The target's Sneak skill must be very low (possibly on purpose because this is one of the first DB missions they didn't want to make it too difficult). The bodyguard is actually the one you need to look out for as he'll detect you a lot easier.

I remember finishing the actual kill, and trying to exit. The guard was facing away from me, across the next room, and I had no shoes on (your boot weight affects how loud you are when sneaking)
He still detected me every time. Eventually I gave up, let him chase me into the street and had the guards take care of him for me.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I am probably going to regret this.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Galick posted:

I am probably going to regret this.

Fixed that for you.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
I like how even on probation, Lizard Wizard's avatar is still thread appropriate.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Can-O-Raid posted:

I like how even on probation, Lizard Wizard's avatar is still thread appropriate.

"Can't post for 8 hours... scum."

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Can-O-Raid posted:

Oh my god it is :aaa:

poo poo just got so meta right here, goddamn this is kinda scary now. Is Sterv secretly more clever than we let him on to be? Or is this but the failed ramblings of a master idiot savant?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Clearly I need to cover all my bases by somehow getting Sterv banned from the Imperial City.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Clearly I need to cover all my bases by somehow getting Sterv banned from the Imperial City.
Just murder every single person in the Imperial City and never come back :v: that'll work out totally fine.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm going to murder you to Dreth

It just so happens that I'm ready to murder again.
As always, you fail to disappoint me. Your target is a Dark Elf named Valen Dreth. He thinks he's safe in prison. He is tragically mistaken. A prisoner recently escaped from the prison, using a set of secret tunnels connecting to the Imperial City's sewer system. It's a perfect way inside. Just outside of the Imperial Prison is a grating that leads to the sewers. It has recently been tightly locked, but I will provide a key.

I surely have no idea what you're talking about.
Valen Dreth has been imprisoned for many years. His tongue is sharp, but his body is limp and frail. He will prove an easy, pleasurable kill. You will receive a bonus if you fulfill the contract without killing any of the prison guards. Now go, and may the Night Mother go with you.

Pleasurable is right! I didn't show it off, but Valen Dreth is in the cell across from you at the start of the game, and he generally mocks and delivers sick racist burns unto the player character.

The bonus objective's gonna be a doozy, so let's get some advice from the only character that matters.

Gogron gro-Bolmog status: still the best. His advice, unfortunately, is going to be relevant.

Hmm. Wonder if my brothers and sisters are hiding anything god.

Not bad at all.

:monocle:
drat. I don't know how much of a difference 6 skill points will make, but it beats the hell out of our filler-rear end Shock Shield ring.

Ooh. I'm sure Gogron won't miss these.
At our current Heavy Armor skill level, these aren't any better than our iron boots in terms of defense, but Dwarven armor comes with a secondary effect, that being that is is RAD AS HELL.

Hmm. I might want to come back for that later.
And by later I mean "when I have the means to enchant worth a drat".

...ingredients? :stare:
Well, what the hell. It's all alchemy levels to me!

Good. Now I am ready.

Ready for days of intense training at my home near Bravil. :shepface:
Loads of punching and cutting of Scamps ensued. Moving on!

I'm coming for you, Valen.

Coming to murder you.

Traveling this time was as dull as ever, so here's the highlights. Troll.

Caves from which I acquired kickass Dwarven armor.

Ghostomancy, which could actually be kinda useful in light of their normal weapon immunity.

Quaffin' a potion to run over a lake.

Hircine's shrine, which requires the pelt of a wolf or a bear and far more levels than we have under our belt.

And speaking of levels, our Scamp-punching, heavy armor-toting tactics are really starting to pay off!

Here we go. This should be easy.

These...are not the sewers I remember. :sweatdrop:
Time for a whole lotta sewers with a whole lotta nothing! I'll spare you the details, but there were rats and mudcrabs.

Hmm. They tightened security all right. I mean, I guess the Emperor WAS assassinated down here.

I'll just have to be very, very stealthy.

Easy now...

Oh, no.

FLEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEgimmethatshieldokaythankyouEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Yes, fine me, I beg of you!

Might as well clear our bounty.

And now that I'm free...

Hah! Trivial.

I return.

So, you infiltrated the Imperial Prison, eliminated Valen Dreth, and killed not one guard.
All true.
Most excellent! In addition to your standard reward, I present to you this bonus. Behold, the Scales of Pitiless Justice! While carried, the scales will magically enhance your Strength, Intelligence and Agility...but diminish your Personality. A powerful tool indeed.
+2 to Strength, Intelligence and Agility and -2 to the most trivial stat in the game. Nice.

And no, the reward for this quest isn't scaled.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Yeah I was gonna ask how the scamps played into the whole stealth thing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Lizard Wizard posted:

And no, the reward for this quest isn't scaled.

Best line of the update. :golfclap:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Roar posted:

Yeah I was gonna ask how the scamps played into the whole stealth thing.

The scamps weren't really a factor, it's just a really hard mission to stealth through.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Lizard Wizard posted:

Coming to murder you.

Sterv's head , surfin' on a shield.

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, you infiltrated the Imperial Prison, eliminated Valen Dreth, and killed not one guard.

Huh. It's been too long since I played Oblivion AND I've been playing too much Peace Walker. I expected the game to make note of the fact you were discovered and reduce the payout accordingly.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
From the dialogue, I assume that the "failure"/reward-reduction state is dependent on whether or not you kill a guard.

And Sterv may have thrown the entire prison into high alert, but he didn't kill a guard! :pseudo:

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

anthraciteDragon posted:

Huh. It's been too long since I played Oblivion AND I've been playing too much Peace Walker. I expected the game to make note of the fact you were discovered and reduce the payout accordingly.

Apparently we're playing more of a Revengeance game than standard MGS. Alerts are fine, they're just really inconvenient sometimes. All you have to do is chop off the guard's legs or sword arms and... wait there's no dismemberment mechanic? Oh, alright then, running full-pelt through the halls it is.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Lizard Wizard posted:

The scamps weren't really a factor, it's just a really hard mission to stealth through.

Seriously. I had a pretty good sneak and agility and it still took me a few reloads to do.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Where is Sterv's trademark helmet? I am confused. :confused:

That armor is pretty :krad: though!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

MeccaPrime posted:

Where is Sterv's trademark helmet? I am confused. :confused:

That armor is pretty :krad: though!

Oh, right. Sterv's helmet got kinda broken while he was being chased by that guard, and I couldn't repair it while in "combat". Don't worry, we're not bereft of helm!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, that mission is a complete and utter bitch to do without being detected. I'm pretty sure it would have been better if the next mission and this one were switched.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really enjoyed that mission, though I was playing a sneaky character in general. Every time I got detected, it was okay, because I knew I was going to murder the jerk who threw insults at me and then everything would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Just caught up with the thread. 'Special' doesn't begin to describe it. Well done, Lizard Wizard! :golfclap:

• Locked thread