Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

Sock The Great posted:

Having seen each ending, the Courier / Yes Man seem to be the greatest threat to New Vegas. Place goes straight to hell with them in charge.

Oh lord no, have you read the Legion endings? Yes Man sounds rough in the Followers slides (which is the same ending for Mr. House) and Arcade slides (but better than Mr. House) but, depending on what you do, pretty good in most the others. Also, Mr. House is a goddamn fuckhead I don't care what anyone says.

quote:

Despite NCR's pledge to support Primm, they abandon the town after their loss to Mr. House. As repayment for their NCR loyalty, Mr. House sends Securitrons to Primm to "protect" it and collect heavy taxes from its citizens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Keeshhound posted:

If you're evil, sure.

Or if you destroyed the Securitron updater, because then you don't have the muscle to keep order. If you aren't evil or without Securitrons, though, the Independent ending turns out pretty okay.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

DeathChicken posted:

I think the only real reference to Montana was that the Lonesome Drifter lived there, and worked in a coal mine.

That's actually kind of interesting, though, because it means that somewhere out there someone is still burning coal. And that enough infrastructure survived (or has been built subsequently) to get that coal to wherever it is that it's being burned.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

StandardVC10 posted:

That's actually kind of interesting, though, because it means that somewhere out there someone is still burning coal. And that enough infrastructure survived (or has been built subsequently) to get that coal to wherever it is that it's being burned.
I don't think it necessarily implies that much infrastructure. Montana would have to deal with cold winters. For all we know, the coal mines are just supporting some farms and small communities up there to survive the winter.

It is cool that they mention so much of the Western US. We know from Fallout 2 and New Vegas that the NCR has nearly all of the west coast on lock. Caesar has most of Arizona, New Mexico, and a lot of Colorado. We know that Utah used to have a strong Mormon presence, but it's mostly dominated by tribals and raiders with warlord rule. Wyoming is potentially important for several factions depending on how the game plays out. With the exception of Idaho and Washington, you really have a good idea of how things are working out for the US west of Texas. It also adds a lot of weight to the final line, "In the new world of the Mojave Wasteland, fighting continued, blood was spilled, and many lived and died - just as they had in the Old World. Because war... war never changes." As much of a badass you are, your story is just a small one in a very big world.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I would think the NCR probably has most of western Washington just because its too valuable (water rich, good for agriculture, low risk of natural disaster) and we never hear about them fighting anyone there. I mean, they're willing to spill a lot of blood for less valuable territory.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LividLiquid posted:

For all the complaints about Fallout 3, the biggest for me was the ending not addressing anything I did in the wasteland. Those slides give your actions so much more meaning, and after Fallout 2 I was fully expecting them. Instead, I got shoved into an irradiated toilet for no reason and that was that. Nothing I did mattered.

Hrmf. I need to begin again and let go.

There are nods to it: the good karma ending shows Agatha if you did the violin quest and the Lincoln statue if you did the slave quest, I think the evil version shows you burning Harold if you did that quest... it would actually be really well done if they had put a bit more effort into it; it looks really slapped together which is my main problem with it.

The Lone Wanderer was a real good guy *happy music abruptly fades out*
PICTURE OF HAPPY CHILD SET TO DIFFERENT MUSIC FADES IN, THEN FADES OUT AFTER FIVE SECONDS
PICTURE OF COLONEL AUTUMN ON THE TOILET LOOKING REAL EMBARRASSED SET TO DIFFERENT MUSIC FADES IN, THEN VANISHES AFTER FIVE SECONDS
*original music comes back* the Lone Wanderer was really nice to everyone and helped his teacher after school

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
So I've decided to bash my head against the wall and do an ultra hardcore mode run of New Vegas. I've got a bunch of difficulty and realism mods and am pretty much set there, but I could use some input/ideas for my house rules. So far I've got: No HUD, looting is restricted to only things you are going to use(so no picking up junk or caps at all and only weapons/armor/ammo I'm going to use), food can only be looted from animals, can only repair by paying an npc, Hardcore Mode of course(though with the needs slowed down because those are more annoying than hard), no fast travel(Speed-E wheels instead), SPECIAL stats are raised equally, skills/perks chosen by what I use, a general "Try to be realistic" clause, and a "If it's tedious or makes you want to stop playing then break/get rid of it" clause. Nothing like no reloading on death or anything because that would end this in about ten minutes.

Yeah, it's more than a little extreme. But I figure that even if I quit a few hours in it should be an interesting experience at least. And I find that even with the most difficult mods the game is still pretty easy with the sheer amount of loot you get, as well as the brokenness of some skills and perks and such. Hopefully this should make the economy much rougher on me, so I won't end up at New Vegas with more cash than I can handle. And it should make me go to places i've never been, taken options I never have before, and make me use skills i've never used before like survival. Anyway, I figured I'd see if anyone had any more interesting challenges/has done any of these and finds they are more tedious/annoying than fun.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 17, 2013

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How about
Weapons may only be repaired once.
You get a single repair to take it out of busted and into usable when you first pick it up, but after that once it wears out it's worn out. Time to scrounge up a new weapon. This will hopefully lead to you changing weapons a lot meaning variety*, and also not having an overpowered deathgun that makes things easy (because it wore out).

* Make sure you use The Armory.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 17, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

StandardVC10 posted:

Wasn't there a nuclear power plant being restored in Fallout 2?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

thehumandignity posted:

Wasn't there a nuclear power plant being restored in Fallout 2?

There were several, but the Broken Hills uranium mine dries up, so most settlements would likely need to switch to a different power source.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

I'm doing a melee run now but I've promised myself next time I do guns I'm going to restrict myself to only a couple of weapons. Partly to increase the challenge and partly just to keep myself stockpiling one weapon for every ammo size. I haven't decided on whether to do 1 rifle 1 sidearm, or 2-3 guns total with a knife for backup. Leaning towards doing one primary only and dropping it if I grab a new one so I don't end up doing my usual endless stealth sniper crawl and switching to overpowered shotgun surgeon. I do get into a rut with this game of tagging guns/speech and sneak or lockpicking, although melee is really fun so far.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm going to be a pure cowboy next time, and roll with a Sheriff duster and desperado Hat. Speech to ask punks if they feel lucky, Guns for if they do, Survival because no self-respecting wanderer doesn't know how to make a brahmin wellington. I'm doing basically the opposite right now, a laser-obsessed science nerd. Nipped into Lonesome Road for the Arc Welder, which tided me over nicely until I could afford some laser pistol mods; no points into Survival or those silly non-laser combat skills, though an early Explosives boost proved useful and I figured a laser nerd would probably like explosions too; no Speech and Barter because I have no social skills, though I have to up my Barter to 70 so I can lug the 3000 pounds of toasters and coffee cups I've been saving into Old World Blues. My immersion! :ohdear:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I always start with speech and layzorz, but wind up being the best at absolutely everything.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

There were several, but the Broken Hills uranium mine dries up, so most settlements would likely need to switch to a different power source.

How much Uranium does a plant need on a regular basis? Didn't Vault City's GECK have a fusion reactor or something like that too? Fallout has Oodles of Microfusion cells, though presumably they aren't much better than as laser bullets and car fuel.

Even in New Vegas it's incredibly easy to become the GodKing Of Skills (if not perks too). I like the old games for that, but in the end you can generally solve problems with an appropriate application of words, lockpicking, or bullets.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Defiance Industries posted:

Or if you destroyed the Securitron updater, because then you don't have the muscle to keep order. If you aren't evil or without Securitrons, though, the Independent ending turns out pretty okay.

Going Yes Man/independent and blowing up the Securitron vault is worth it at least once just to hear Yes Man's completely exasperated response, by the way.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SpookyLizard posted:

How much Uranium does a plant need on a regular basis? Didn't Vault City's GECK have a fusion reactor or something like that too? Fallout has Oodles of Microfusion cells, though presumably they aren't much better than as laser bullets and car fuel.

Let's just get this out of the way before I start speculating my rear end off: I am not a credible source for this poo poo. Do not quote me in an academic context.

That said, this is the World Nuclear Association's estimates regarding how much uranium 235 is required to power all the reactors in the world (by country). Keep in mind that reactors require the exceptionally rare Uranium-235 as opposed to the much more common Uranium-238. So that's already significantly reducing how many reactors a single mine could support.

My guess is that the mine was probably already half empty or more (in the immensely nuclear-dependent pre-war USA, they'd almost definitely be exploiting every possible source of power they could find), and I don't think they said anything about the Gekko plant being a breeder reactor, so that was probably a factor in how quickly the mine ran dry too. Also, the ending slide doesn't say when the mine ran dry, so it might have been a few decades before Broken Hills finally gave up the ghost.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Let's just get this out of the way before I start speculating my rear end off: I am not a credible source for this poo poo. Do not quote me in an academic context.

That said, this is the World Nuclear Association's estimates regarding how much uranium 235 is required to power all the reactors in the world (by country). Keep in mind that reactors require the exceptionally rare Uranium-235 as opposed to the much more common Uranium-238. So that's already significantly reducing how many reactors a single mine could support.

My guess is that the mine was probably already half empty or more (in the immensely nuclear-dependent pre-war USA, they'd almost definitely be exploiting every possible source of power they could find), and I don't think they said anything about the Gekko plant being a breeder reactor, so that was probably a factor in how quickly the mine ran dry too. Also, the ending slide doesn't say when the mine ran dry, so it might have been a few decades before Broken Hills finally gave up the ghost.

Real world stats are basically useless for Fallout because it operates on the same rules as vintage science fiction.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Republican Vampire posted:

Real world stats are basically useless for Fallout because it operates on the same rules as vintage science fiction.

How can you use weapons in power armour that were designed to be wielded without it? Why is a laser rifle more powerful than a laser pistol? Why will cars explode, but not drive? What's the point of shaping a blade made out of pure energy like an axe head? How does using a weapon repair kit while unarmed increase your health? The world of Fallout is truly a mysterious place.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I find it very strange that some people refuse to accept "because it's a video game, drat it" as an answer to questions like that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Just hit Honest Hearts again. All the DLCs have their strong points, but I love Zion so much. It's beautiful.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I find it very strange that some people refuse to accept "because it's a video game, drat it" as an answer to questions like that.

Fallout: New Vegas, more than any other game(including other games in the series) does a better job than any other of thinking through its setting. So I think it inspires fans to think through these things, for better or worse.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Broken hills also powers at most, three or four reactors. Probably three, as VC and New Arroyo are presumably self sufficient off of their GECKs. It Fallout is of course powered by Science! As seen directly in Plan 9 From Outer Space or Teenagers From Outer Space.

You use guns in power armor same as without. By pulling the trigger.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Republican Vampire posted:

Oh, most definitely. But I don't think it's ever addressed in any of the games, so I went with what I could find. Broken Hills seems to be doing fine for itself (please ignore the mutant/anti-mutant conflict, nothing to see here) so I assume their product was in fairly high demand.

CJacobs posted:

It's fun to speculate?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

thehumandignity posted:

Why is a laser rifle more powerful than a laser pistol?

Well, you can focus multiple beams onto a single point with a concave lens, and use multiple lenses to further focus that beam, that would result in a much hotter beam, which would travel farther before diffusing enough to do significantly less damage. So I'd assume that the main thing here is that a Fallout laser "rifle" is big enough to house more lasers, which are more powerful, and are focused by more lenses than a laser pistol.

:science:? (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The real trouble comes with the Tri-beam rifle, which I suppose you could say had three end-result beams instead of three origin beams.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Oh wow. Started my ultra hardcore up and...the combination of no hud + manual reload alone makes the game incredibly scary. There's just a huge sense of danger added when you can only find enemies with your eyes and ears. And only having a general sense of what your health and ammo are...no idea if you're even hitting an enemy...no way to tell friend from foe except by recognizing them...and having no compass to give you even the slightest idea where to go, especially dangerous because it increases your chances of running into something you can't handle. I have got to recommend everyone try to play without hud once, it's like a completely different game. And that's before things like weather mods(sandstorms and such to block your view and cover up noises, making enemies almost invisible...)...a ton of mods that already make the game way harder....it will send you fleeing in terror sometimes..a bad idea when you don't know where you are going...it's shaping up to be far more fun than I thought it would be. I actually ran out of ammo fighting the starting geckos and had to retreat and draw them out for good on' fisticuffs. It's going to be a wild ride.

It even makes vats scary. No idea how much ammo or ap you are using, no hit percentages..it makes it more of a desperation tactic.

The biggest thing is that it really makes you have to pay attention to what's happening. You have to be alert for threats, you have to figure out quests with what they tell you..it's really neat.

It's also amazing how diff'rent the game feels when you restrict your looting to keep from ridiculous amounts of caps. I find that I have to deal with inferior weapons a lot simply because the ammo is cheaper and every cap counts. And when I see a dungeon have to actually stop and consider whether I'll be losing more from ammunition/stimpacks used than gaining from going in. And it's made survival my go to skill simply because if you scrounge enough it's free effective healing and frees up caps to be used on precious precious ammo.

Ugh. Between having the most tense experience I've ever had with the game...while still in Goodsprings, almost dying to rats and a mantis..and having to go into battle with half health and little ammo because I just couldn't afford it, and then despite trying my hardest to win but Ringo still got killed and everyone else either crippled or killed...and then after getting the loot I was allowed to get...still only having enough to supply a single gun and one doctor visit..I'm beginning to think I made it a bit too tough. Even encounters with rats are capable of killing me if I misstep. On the other hand, it gave me the feeling that the courier is just as ordinary as anyone ele, and that even his best efforts wouldn't always guarantee a good outcome...and it felt good. Coming out of battle alive feels like a great accomplishment, and it feels as dangerous as the wasteland would be in real life. I really think now that broken economy in New Vegas is keeping the game from it's full potential.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 18, 2013

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Keeshhound posted:

That said, this is the World Nuclear Association's estimates regarding how much uranium 235

Pretty sure that's just Uranium in its natural ratio, given that it refers to the equivalent mass of Uranium Oxide at the bottom. It's also absurdly high for an amount of fissile material - don't forget that the vast majority of the uranium in nuclear power stations is non-fissile U238, and there are reactor designs (like the Canadian CANDU) that can use either uranium in its natural ratio or with only a small amount of enrichment (or indeed just a mixture of whatever you feel like, like uranium and plutonium and thorium (called MOX, mixed oxide fuel), CANDUs are handy like that). (I am more of a credible source for this, I have a masters in nuclear power engineering)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Thanks a lot Zeron, now I'm playing this again for the umpteenth time.

seriously, that sounded so awesome that I'm revivng my favorite cowboy build for another round

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

LividLiquid posted:

Just hit Honest Hearts again. All the DLCs have their strong points, but I love Zion so much. It's beautiful.

It really is. I'm thinking of road tripping up to see it when I get home as it is less than a day's drive from where I live in CA. Up the Long 15, no less. When I first played Honest Hearts I stopped for a moment and said "wow, this actually looks really pretty." And that's with Gamebryo engine graphics.

Considering maaaaybe doing a detour to Nipton just to check it out but something tells me it probably won't be worth the hour or so it'll put me out of my way.

Already been to Boulder City and Hoover Dam. The entrance lobby of the Hoover Dam in New Vegas is just what it looks like in real life, kinda neat. Turbine room is the same also, but those turbines are pretty common imagery; it's hard to mess them up. Bothering to make the entrance lobby accurate is the kind of stuff I love about Fallout.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 18, 2013

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!

Sock The Great posted:

Having seen each ending, the Courier / Yes Man seem to be the greatest threat to New Vegas. Place goes straight to hell with them in charge.
I'll be honest, that's actually something that really appealled to me in my first playthrough. Although I do appreciate the post-post-apocalyptic setting that Fallout has become, a part of me yearns back for the original Fallout where the entire world is just a big, dangerous wasteland without much civilization. After my first playthrough, both the NCR and Legion got a bloody nose, and New Vegas basically went to hell... and I was okay with that. The Wasteland needs a hero to clean up the mess that the Courier made.

Of course, my next playthrough was as a NCR laser-toting superhero with his funny Mexican ghoul side-kick to make up for it.

I saw the Omni treadmill kickstarter video showcased New Vegas as one of the games, and I have to admit that the idea of actually being able to walk around in the New Vegas setting with that piece of technology and an Oculus Rift sounds incredible. I'd love to try that without using fast-travel at all.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Moridin920 posted:

It really is. I'm thinking of road tripping up to see it when I get home as it is less than a day's drive from where I live in CA. Up the Long 15, no less. When I first played Honest Hearts I stopped for a moment and said "wow, this actually looks really pretty." And that's with Gamebryo engine graphics.

Considering maaaaybe doing a detour to Nipton just to check it out but something tells me it probably won't be worth the hour or so it'll put me out of my way.

Already been to Boulder City and Hoover Dam. The entrance lobby of the Hoover Dam in New Vegas is just what it looks like in real life, kinda neat. Turbine room is the same also, but those turbines are pretty common imagery; it's hard to mess them up. Bothering to make the entrance lobby accurate is the kind of stuff I love about Fallout.

Check out Goodsprings! Apparently the game version looks pretty much identical to the real life town.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

That's actually really interesting, thanks!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

thehumandignity posted:

Why is a laser rifle more powerful than a laser pistol?
Laser rifles (~22 DAM) consume a single round of MFC. Laser pistols consume a single round of SEC (~12 DAM). The conversion rate of SEC to MFC is 2:1.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

rope kid posted:

Laser rifles (~22 DAM) consume a single round of MFC. Laser pistols consume a single round of SEC (~12 DAM). The conversion rate of SEC to MFC is 2:1.

Neat, I never noticed that. Is plasma the same way? Were similar conversion informations taken into consideration for bullets as well (presumably considering bullets > components > other bullets)? Did you guys go damage > materials or materials > damage or was it a bit of both?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

thehumandignity posted:

How can you use weapons in power armour that were designed to be wielded without it? Why is a laser rifle more powerful than a laser pistol? Why will cars explode, but not drive? What's the point of shaping a blade made out of pure energy like an axe head? How does using a weapon repair kit while unarmed increase your health? The world of Fallout is truly a mysterious place.
Wait, what? Really?

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Ravenfood posted:

Wait, what? Really?

I can only assume the duct tape and wonderglue are used to patch gunshot wounds. I'm not sure how the wrench is useful.

Probably because anyone trying to use a weapon repair kit on his hands must be a nut.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

thehumandignity posted:

I can only assume the duct tape and wonderglue are used to patch gunshot wounds. I'm not sure how the wrench is useful.

Adjusting your bones back into position.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I wish using repair kits while unarmed fixed your armor instead. I'm playing through Tale of Two Wastelands and brought the Lonesome Road riot gear to Washington, but even with jury rigging there's nothing I can repair it with. It really sticks out as odd how much it costs to repair armor at NPCs, repairing something like the riot gear requires more caps than any single vendor in the wasteland possesses.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, I really wish Raul would offer a discount for that. I can't make use of his degradation reduction thing when I can't take him with me to the DLCs. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Cicadalek posted:

I wish using repair kits while unarmed fixed your armor instead. I'm playing through Tale of Two Wastelands and brought the Lonesome Road riot gear to Washington, but even with jury rigging there's nothing I can repair it with. It really sticks out as odd how much it costs to repair armor at NPCs, repairing something like the riot gear requires more caps than any single vendor in the wasteland possesses.

I don't remember the name and I'm on my phone, but there's a mod for exactly this purpose. If your worn armour is damaged, you get a choice of which to fix, that or your weapon. Try searching the Nexus for "repair kit" or something. I believe it requires NVSE.