Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is a pretty good demonstration of why Duane has those gloves, I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Yeah, there's 8 guys, and he's already knocked one out and killed two of them (and maybe knocked out a second one, in the panel where he's shooting the solidity of the bricks.) Duane's personality is dorky but he's a stone cold bastard in a fight.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Duane was in the army and spent most of his pre-churchy career training soldier wrights. He knows how to murder people.

Negative_Earth
Apr 18, 2002

BeiiN AlL ii CaN B

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Yeah, there's 8 guys, and he's already knocked one out and killed two of them (and maybe knocked out a second one, in the panel where he's shooting the solidity of the bricks.) Duane's personality is dorky but he's a stone cold bastard in a fight.

Agreed. Seeing him take a man's head off with a brick he pulled out of a wall was a good indication that he's not to be hosed with lightly. Supporting this is the fact that they sent seven men and a ninja, and he's already taken down half of them.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

What concerns me is the arrows. If you look closer they've got some weird little blue semi-ovals on the shaft near the tip. Are there any pymaric gadgets they could be, or some other kind of trick?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I don't count on the author knowing medieval weaponry but a proper crossbow would literally blow a loving hole in you at the distances Duane has been hit at. Could be trying to catch him?

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

The author knows medieval weaponry and the power of a regular crossbow. They're deliberately weak (Formspring info.) Capture is the most likely answer, but I don't see Bodie as being the type to capture versus straight-up having the dude killed.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Moddington posted:

What concerns me is the arrows. If you look closer they've got some weird little blue semi-ovals on the shaft near the tip. Are there any pymaric gadgets they could be, or some other kind of trick?

Looks like something of that nature is going on, if the latest page is any indication.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Look at that pun.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I'm afraid we're about to find out why Duane gets so pissed off about children dying in the dark. :smith:

e. on a lighter note, I just had to reread the page where Sette talks about killing her cousin's pet rat. her last thoughts were of yoooouuuu

Can we please go back to wacky forest rear end in a top hat adventures? I miss the good times.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 13, 2013

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

The author's note for this page is "Happy Fathers' Day". :stonk:

I am starting to become a little afraid of Ashley Cope.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Uncanny timing.

I think Mikaila's about to make something go boom which probably won't bode well for anyone...

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah if it wasn't clear already Ashley Cope has very dark imagination/sense of humor/etc.

Probably a frightening person to know in real life, honestly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I actually like this comic quite a bit and don't think the author would be frightening to meet in person at all.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach

Cowcaster posted:

I actually like this comic quite a bit and don't think the author would be frightening to meet in person at all.
If anything I think Ashley Cope would be a very very interesting person to talk to.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Should I recognize the person showing up in the last panel? Or is that just another one of the goons from the group attacking Duane?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Black comedy is never not appropriate for Unsounded, even when it's inappropriate. And Ashley Cope is nothing if not a lovely art engine fueled by dark humours.

While I mentioned before that some of her sensibilities tended to skew similarly to the "dark and edgy" RPer crowd, we've seen that unlike most of that sort--who would vainly pursue an ideal of "maturity" in the most juvenile and overblown ways possible--Ms. Cope's work combines humor, levity, and a sense of dramatic contrast that shows that she knows how to put her sensibilities to best use.

I could call Unsounded a "mature" comic, but that would be doing it a disservice. This is the work of someone who's actually matured to the point where maturity isn't an affectation that must be forced but rather an aspect of the self that is simply understood so as not to interfere with a vivid imagination capable of wit, subtlety, charisma, and startling violence.

Ashley Cope is probably an interesting person to hang out with, yes.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Freeform RPers are interesting to hang out with if you can deal with a high degree of cringe and they don't talk shop all the time.

So basically like any nerds, only instead of cring-ey talk about anime, figurines, comics, cartoons, CCGs, etc you get to politely try and tolerate "hilarious" RP stories about the time someone got raped.

Madrox posted:

Should I recognize the person showing up in the last panel? Or is that just another one of the goons from the group attacking Duane?
I think it's one of the other goons since their head is bloodied up.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I think it's the dude from the last panel here:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_97.html

Picked himself up and came back. The clothes are very similar, and there's no doubt Mikaila's about to blow something up. I think she's reaching for the fire in the lamp inside that window.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

I get the feeling it's not the fire Mikaila's thinking of using to blow up some goons.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Ooh, lots of page--

...oh god.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Did anybody else catch all the creepy dead things hiding in pages 104 and 105?

Also oh god, we all knew it was coming, but jesus.

faxmaster
Nov 1, 2004

I can see all of the colors.

Takezio posted:

Ooh, lots of page--

...oh god.

It's a credit to how well she's built up these characters that this sequence is as painful as it is.

EDIT: Although it might also be painful because, well, knives. In places you wouldn't want them.

faxmaster fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 19, 2013

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Holy poo poo god drat what the gently caress this is my heart is bleeding

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Holy poo poo god drat what the gently caress this is my heart is bleeding

I was trying to parse out a response to this update, but this is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of my feelings.

Though I got an unwanted chuckle out of "best wife in centuries."

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Takezio posted:

Ooh, lots of page--

...oh god.

My exact reaction. Holy loving poo poo. :smith:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
drat IT!

... how has this comic made me so sad? :smith:

Edit: Alright now I need to ask some :saddowns: questions. Why is the blue-robed guy who stabbed Mikaila arguing with the ninja guy? How can you tell they're only glamoured to look like Crescians?

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 19, 2013

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Man, even though I was sure it was coming it's still painful to watch.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I just remembered that, as long as I'm not misremembering or misunderstanding, this is a flashback that Sette is privy to. What's her reaction going to be? How will she see/treat Duane after this? This set of pages is pretty heart wrenching, but now I'm really curious about what's going to happen when we get back to Sette.

FourLeaf posted:

Edit: Alright now I need to ask some :saddowns: questions. Why is the blue-robed guy who stabbed Mikaila arguing with the ninja guy? How can you tell they're only glamoured to look like Crescians?

I think they have "Plans" for Duane, ones that require him to at least still be alive in order to work. Have we had an explanation for how Duane became a galit/plod/zombie? Is this maybe the cause of that or is this something else? I think the blue-robed guy is pissed at Duane and just wants to kill him now, rather than letting the plan go through.

Hex Vision
Jun 6, 2010

Game over, boys.
Oh man. I went to vote for this comic in that top web comics thingy, and was greeted with... Well, it seems that Imgur hates that image or me for some reason, so just go see it for yourself. It's worth it.

I'm impressed by this whole chapter. It's very hard to create real suspense and make the reader care when everybody knows that the protagonist is just going to be resurrected when he dies. It's one of the reasons why I don't much care for superheroes. What does it matter if someone threatens to kill Superman or Batman? They'll be back like nothing happened.

Duane came back, but I care. That's good writing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, Ashley Cope did a good job here. Can't wait for the next update, and I hope she enjoys her break.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hex Vision posted:

Oh man. I went to vote for this comic in that top web comics thingy, and was greeted with... Well, it seems that Imgur hates that image or me for some reason, so just go see it for yourself. It's worth it.

I'm impressed by this whole chapter. It's very hard to create real suspense and make the reader care when everybody knows that the protagonist is just going to be resurrected when he dies. It's one of the reasons why I don't much care for superheroes. What does it matter if someone threatens to kill Superman or Batman? They'll be back like nothing happened.

Duane came back, but I care. That's good writing.

Well, there is the fact that the resurrection itself wasn't all that, in addition to all the horrible collateral damage you're probably referring to. Superman doesn't usually come back as a noseless, cannibalistic monstrosity.

Also, wonder what happened to Duane's wife? The sequence inside their home was obviously just our boy going to a happy place as his mind snapped, so I wonder if she's still alive and out there?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I do like that they had a reason to kill Mikaila as opposed to them just killing her because they're evil. I really hate over-the-top villains that kill innocents just to show how evil they are; the fact that she attacked them makes them work better in the story. It's also a fitting end to the character, despite her being doomed from the start.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
We've seen the dark depths these things can go to before, but this is by far the most jarring. Even knowing from the start how this would end, Ashley managed to make this very unsettling.

Mostly though I am pleased to get a glimpse of the politics that run this society.

Man. Heavy.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FourLeaf posted:

How can you tell they're only glamoured to look like Crescians?

At this point it's just a guess, since 1) they're inexplicably deep in Alderode 2) they're doing Alderode's dirty work and 3) they're using Aldish slurs based on an Aldish caste system that Crescians wouldn't care about (and would likely find repugnant.)

It's conceivable that Alderode maintains secret enforcer squads of mercenary Crescian expatriates, but that would require tact and delicacy to remain hidden amidst a population that hates them and would probably try to kill them on sight, and with the exception of the ninja these guys are all clumsy brute thugs.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

dpbjinc posted:

I do like that they had a reason to kill Mikaila as opposed to them just killing her because they're evil. I really hate over-the-top villains that kill innocents just to show how evil they are; the fact that she attacked them makes them work better in the story. It's also a fitting end to the character, despite her being doomed from the start.

To be fair, it was mainly because the guy was blinded and stabbing wildly.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Well, that sure was a depressing thing to read first thing in the morning.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

At this point it's just a guess, since 1) they're inexplicably deep in Alderode 2) they're doing Alderode's dirty work and 3) they're using Aldish slurs based on an Aldish caste system that Crescians wouldn't care about (and would likely find repugnant.)

It's conceivable that Alderode maintains secret enforcer squads of mercenary Crescian expatriates, but that would require tact and delicacy to remain hidden amidst a population that hates them and would probably try to kill them on sight, and with the exception of the ninja these guys are all clumsy brute thugs.

Question being, why go through all that trouble? If you're planning to ambush, like, a king or something then yeah disguising your guys as agents from your hated rival country is probably not a bad idea. But a low-level functionary like Duane?

Maybe they'll use it as casus belli against the Geffendur? O dear they have slain this man's family using vile Crescian agents!

Or maybe the Crescians are just not very nice people either. iunno.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

While it's pretty obvious there's a deeper scheme going on here with the ritualistic way they're taking care of Duane, I'm not convinced that it has anything to do with the councilor he bopped. The punishment for that transgression involved getting the tar kicked out of him without even his own daughter batting an eye, and he lives in a society where enemies of the state are put on kebabs and barbecued at the center of the city in broad daylight. Hiring a bunch of magiced-up thugs to kill Duane seems plausible, but just plain unnecessary. And Lemuel did mention Cresce was trying to smuggle mercenaries into the city.

Actually if anything I'm going to point fingers at Shadwe, who Lemuel underestimated when he said he was too weak for backdoor plotting.

edit: what the guy above me said. That'll learn me to leave thread open since this morning and not reply until lunch.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011
It's a little weird the ninja guy seems to be wearing a Peaceguard uniform but I suppose it's possible they could be wearing uniforms taken from the dead, we did see one of those being used as target practice earlier.

In the last (horrible) page we can see the ninja guy is taking orders too, so I'm guessing whoever is in charge of this mission is probably the shadowy figure at the back with their hair blowing around.

More evidence against them being Crescians might be there, too - why would Crescian mercenaries care about a Ssaelit cleric?

I gotta second the people saying this hit pretty hard. I thought Mikaila was pretty certain to die from the off but Cope managed to ramp it enough for it to still be pretty affecting. Even imagining Duane probably died a horrible death, I didn't imagine the circumstances would be this bad.

Cowcaster posted:

Actually if anything I'm going to point fingers at Shadwe, who Lemuel underestimated when he said he was too weak for backdoor plotting.

The Shadwe's right hand guy certainly seemed to enjoy Duane getting his beating back when. And like someone corrected me upthread, he's got a contact with the Black Tongues.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 19, 2013