Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Just on BBC Breaking News

quote:

First civil phone #hacking claim in US is issued against News Corporation and News International, by former stunt double for Angelina Jolie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Gambrinus posted:

What does this mean in English?

It means the libel laws in Old Blighty prevent UKanians from saying things like "Tony Blair is loving Wendi Murdoch", so they have to make subtle eyebrow movements in the direction of American journalists who are legally allowed to say all kinds of poo poo. :buddy:

(It's probably sexist of me to say "Tony Blair is loving Wendi Murdoch"; it's entirely possible that she's loving him, or that they gently caress each other. Terribly complicated, these fleshy human relationships.)

(BM, if you can still get in trouble for my saying poo poo like this, just let me know and I'll knock it off.)

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010
Guys, NY Times is not Murdoch owned, right?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

bornbytheriver posted:

Guys, NY Times is not Murdoch owned, right?

The New York Post is Murdoch owned.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Well that puts a spin on "I can get you access to the PM..."

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Is this significant? Floodgates open now? Very damaging financially and otherwise for them in the US?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

thehustler posted:

Is this significant? Floodgates open now? Very damaging financially and otherwise for them in the US?

It could be, there's likely to be more, and that'll get plenty of attention, especially if it involves a UK based paper up to dirty work in the US.

Something else from today's Elveden charges

quote:

It is also alleged that the same prison office sold information to Trinity Mirror's People newspaper for £900.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

More Hackgate news

quote:

Andy Coulson appears in court on perjury charge

The prime minister's former director of communications, Andy Coulson, has appeared in court charged with perjury.

The 45-year-old appeared in private at Glasgow Sheriff Court on Thursday, where he made no plea or declaration and was granted bail.

A contempt of court order was granted at the hearing banning media coverage.

The order was challenged by a number of media organisations and following legal submissions was lifted on Tuesday by Sheriff John McCormack.

Mr Coulson was represented at last week's hearing by the Dean of the Faculty of Advocates, Richard Keen QC.

Communications director

Mr Coulson had been detained at his London home in May last year and then driven more than 400 miles to Glasgow by officers from the former Strathclyde Police.

He was held at Govan police station, where he was questioned and later charged.

Mr Coulson became editor of the now defunct News of the World newspaper in 2003, before he resigned in 2007.

He also served as Prime Minister David Cameron's director of communications before resigning in January 2011.
This relates to the Sheridan trial, which he appeared at while he was working for Cameron.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Is Coulson still working for Cameron in downing street?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Zero Gravitas posted:

Is Coulson still working for Cameron in downing street?

He quit in 2011 when the phone hacking scandal broke.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Perhaps the impending return to the court given the newly unearthed recording of Rupert is why Wendi is catching the train to splitsville. Perhaps she doesn't want to swing at any more pie-wielding comedians.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

The New York Post is Murdoch owned.

For a moment I thought that perhaps Murdoch's own paper is on the nasty spin about Wendi. Be reckless of him to do anything like that at the moment I figure.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...on-8669148.html

quote:

Some of Britain’s most respected industries routinely employ criminals to hack, blag and steal personal information on business rivals and members of the public, according to a secret report leaked to The Independent.

The Serious Organised Crime Agency (Soca) knew six years ago that law firms, telecoms giants and insurance were hiring private investigators to break the law and further their commercial interests, the report reveals, yet the agency did next to nothing to disrupt the unlawful trade.

It is understood that one of the key hackers mentioned in the confidential Soca report admitted that 80 per cent of his client list was taken up by law firms, wealthy individuals and insurance companies. Only 20 per cent was attributed to the media, which was investigated by the Leveson Inquiry after widespread public revulsion following the phone-hacking scandal.

More behind the link.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Whoops, sorry, wrong thread. Teach me to keep too many tabs open.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 23, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Meanwhile, in the mind of Piers Morgan...

Piers Morgan on Twitter posted:

Interesting that the Guardian so vigorously supports #Snowden criminal hacking. Same paper that wants journalists jailed for it in UK.

dimebag dinkman
Feb 20, 2003

News International has just had a name change.

Makes sense.

As you were.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

dimebag dinkman posted:

News International has just had a name change.

Makes sense.

As you were.

Apart from the atrocious spelling I must object that the name implies they haven't always sucked.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Apart from the atrocious spelling I must object that the name implies they haven't always sucked.
Alternatively:

NEWS UK
> shift 3
S UKNEW
> reverse
WENKU S

I'm also confused why they changed their name to what we already called them.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

That's some terrible design work too.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Same as the old suk

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
This seems relevant?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...me-8673726.html

quote:

Scotland Yard is embroiled in a new corruption crisis after it emerged that senior officers knew for years that criminal private investigators had compromised its highly sensitive witness protection programme – and did nothing about it.

Days after the Metropolitan Police was rocked by incendiary claims that officers took part in a smear campaign against the family of the murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence, The Independent can disclose that private investigators (PIs) were employed by organised crime gangs to try to intimidate witnesses who had agreed to give evidence in high-profile trials.

Scotland Yard uncovered the shocking intelligence up to 15 years ago but, incredibly, did next to nothing to stop the private detectives, who also worked for the News Of The World. A registered police informant codenamed “Michael Green”, who spent years undercover working with a corrupt firm of PIs, warned his handlers at the Met that his colleagues were trying to locate “supergrasses” under police protection and “actively worked on them to withdraw their damaging allegations”.

But, for reasons yet to become clear, the Met failed to charge or even arrest the investigators for intimidating key witnesses. One of the supergrasses who was approached while under police protection later withdrew all of his original testimony, resulting in the collapse of a major criminal trial.
It says later in the piece that these were some of the same PIs used by the News of the World, which I assume means Southern "Axe To The Head" Investigations...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

REQUEST

Remember the 14,400 emails from Ray Adams that were leaked last year? I need them urgently, the complete set, not just what AFR released, so if anyone has them can you email them or a link to them to brownmoses@gmail.com

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

REQUEST

Remember the 14,400 emails from Ray Adams that were leaked last year? I need them urgently, the complete set, not just what AFR released, so if anyone has them can you email them or a link to them to brownmoses@gmail.com
Sent what I had

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

:siren:Breaking News:siren:

Five UK phone hacking defendants, including Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, lose bid to block their prosecutions

I wonder at what point canaries start singing? Will they ever? Even when it becomes totally obvious that they're going to do time?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge is the best title/name since Cardinal Sin.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

Pasco posted:

:siren:Breaking News:siren:

Five UK phone hacking defendants, including Rebekah Brooks and Andy Coulson, lose bid to block their prosecutions

I wonder at what point canaries start singing? Will they ever? Even when it becomes totally obvious that they're going to do time?

quote:

The five defendants argued that the accessing of voicemails through hacking, after they had been listened to by the intended recipient, was not an offence under the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Uh.... what?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

It's not really about invading someone's privacy -- it's all about spoiler prevention. :rolleye:

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

They're trying to make a distinction similar to the one between intercepting mail (very illegal) and stealing someone's thrown-away letters out of their bin (which I believe is still illegal but less so, IANAL). Seems like it didn't go so well.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Humphrey Vasel posted:

Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge is the best title/name since Cardinal Sin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Judge,_Baron_Judge

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

ACRB posted:

The words used in RIPA "do not extend to cover voicemail messages once they have been accessed by the intended recipient".

So basically, they were arguing that a communication cannot have been 'intercepted' after the recipient had listened to it.

It's probably true that RIPA is unclear on this, and that this is one of those letter versus spirit of the law deals, but fortunately Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge (which is indeed the best title/name combo ever) told them to get hosed with that nonsense.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Pasco posted:

So basically, they were arguing that a communication cannot have been 'intercepted' after the recipient had listened to it.

It's probably true that RIPA is unclear on this, and that this is one of those letter versus spirit of the law deals, but fortunately Lord Chief Justice Lord Judge (which is indeed the best title/name combo ever) told them to get hosed with that nonsense.

TBH I'd say the RIP act is the wrong thing to try and prosecute people under and they should be using the Computer Misuse act where accessing someone's voicemail without authorisation is quite clearly a crime. Torturing the RIP act like this is just going to lead to more pain down the line.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
I don't understand, does that mean they have plead guilty to a lesser charge in an attempt to avoid stricter sentences? I mean they literally say accessing voicemails through hacking was legal in the manner that they did it under Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000.

Also sorry BM I have switched computers since I had all the emails and I cannot find them on my backups, hope you found them!

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
Does this mean that Brooks and Coulson have admitted to doing this (hacking voice mails after the messages were listened to)?

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Pasco posted:

It's a bollocks argument anyway because: 1) there is evidence that the Dowler's messages were being listened to BEFORE they had collected them, and; 2) I can listen to 3 seconds of a message and it will be marked as read, what if the papers then listen to the rest of it before me? Plus the fact that the spirit of the law clearly intends reading or listening to someone's private communications to be illegal, even if it doesn't explicitly give every possible example of how you could do that.

Can't wait for the trial, fuckers!

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

This is something that's been going on for months, but because of reporting restrictions I've not been able to discuss it online, so I'm loving glad they've finally lifted reporting restrictions. Makes you wonder what else is going on.

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
What exactly were the previous reporting restrictions on?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The legal challenge that just got denied, presumably.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pasco posted:

s.1 of RIPA is a little poorly-worded, referring only to communications "in the course of [their] transmission by means of a private telecommunication system.". There'a some very shaky case law on whether a voicemail (or any other non-immediate communication like an email) is a communication covered by RIPA, depending on exactly how it's accessed, but signs mostly point to a listened-to and stored voicemail *not* being a communication covered by RIPA. It's quite interesting (and a very bad sign for ACRB) that the court has apparently decided to hear arguments on this because previously courts had punted on it, waiting for the new Comms Data Bill to clarify the position - with that now stalled, it's possible that we'll actually get a solid decision on this.

However even if it's decided that a "read" communication is not covered by S.1 RIPA, they will have multiple other avenues of prosecution (Computer Misuse Act (unauthorised access to a protected computer system), Data Protection Act, Communications Act (improper use of a public communications network) off the top of my head, plus charges for whatever means were used to obtain the PINs in cases where they weren't default).

Having said that, punishments under RIPA are by far the most swingeing - 2 years in prison and up to £100,000 fine *per count*, and while the former don't add up the latter do, and as we're talking about hundreds upon hundreds of counts here, that's going to get very, very expensive.

There's an interesting further wrinkle here, but I'll need to double-check this - as I understand RIPA, ACRB will only have committed an offence if they are proven to have actually listened to the intercepted communications themselves. Paying someone to intercept a communication is not actually a crime under RIPA (again, this is as I understand it, I'll ask someone who knows more and get back on that one).

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

FightingMongoose posted:

What exactly were the previous reporting restrictions on?

You couldn't report on the previous court appearances that were making up this entire process, or the fact those court appearances were even taking place, even when they were listed in court schedules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
If they'd won the appeal would the restrictions have been reported then? Obviously I am very ignorant, I had thought reporting restrictions only applied to jury cases to prevent the juries being prejudiced.

• Locked thread