Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

egobomb posted:

They call me Gato
I have metal joints ♪
Beat me up ♪
And earn 15 Silver Points ♪

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gatito.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Caliban. The Bard will not be denied!

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Definitely Caliban!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
CALI.ban

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Ban ban Caliban
Has a new master, get a new man.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

His Name is Gato,
Gato, will his name become,
Metal joints in spring

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
Caliban. Gotta stick with the theme.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
His name is M.E.G.A.S.
M.E.G.A.S. is his name, drat it
We dig giant 'bots

S-n-S
Oct 27, 2010
CAL1.ban. Or just regular Caliban. Whichev.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Smash.dat

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

M.E.G.A.S. or Cali.BAN

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.

WarpedLichen posted:

He's got metal joints, ain't no option but Gato.

No other option.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
VinDiesel

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Theme trumps Chrono Trigger references. Caliban.

(Also, I love how they actually gave Worker 8 a dancing sprite. All the little one-off spritework in this game is really amazing.)

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Glidergun posted:

(Also, I love how they actually gave Worker 8 a dancing sprite. All the little one-off spritework in this game is really amazing.)

The dancing sprite is great, and I love the animation for him coming to life. I didn't know what Worker 8 would look like when I read about him, and his design turned out really cool, especially the end with steam coming off his body.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'd prefer Gato, sorry Shakespeare. You were an rear end in a top hat grain hoarder who profited off of famine in life, so I see no reason to honor you in death.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Suck at FFT 1.3? Tough. Don't blame me...blame yourself or...uh, well actually, blame me.
1.3 is terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN4BxTdhXXc

- Blaise Pascal

mangoman321
Apr 10, 2009
I really want to name him Gato, but the theme people, the theme!

Caliban it is.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

mangoman321 posted:

I really want to name him Gato, but the theme people, the theme!

Caliban it is.

This guy basically knows what's up.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

As much as they have a mind for SRPG mechanics, the '1.3 community' has an awful sense of humor.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I just about spat out my drink at that Blaise Pascal thing. I had completely loving forgot that this was a thing.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Another vote for Gato.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Finally finally caught up with this thread. FFT is easily one of my favorite Final Fantasy games because of all the fantastic back story to all of the characters, the nefarious plotting that is constantly developing, and DELITA.

Prufrock I love all the detailed explanation of every fight, and your synopsis of the plot brings back so many things about this game that I'd forgotten over the years. This is my favorite LP since Geop's Dark Souls LP.

This thread has been my introduction to FFT 1.3 and Archael you are an evil genius. I thought I knew a lot about the system of this game but after seeing some of the fights at the end of act 3 and the real ramp up in 'haha gently caress you, there are plenty of viable strategies here but brute force isn't one of them' is glorious. I would've never even dreamed up some of the nasty bonus fights Prufrock has recently shown off. You two rule and I can't wait for the rest of this LP.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Gato

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Glidergun posted:

Indeed. There's a ton of it that goes completely unseen and unused if you just play the regular game and never mess with it. Here's a few off the top of my head:

- Every single monster sprite has a defending animation. Some, like the Uribo, are very cute. Dragons and Chocobos hide behind their wings.
- Demons and Worker 8 Sprites both have a flight animation. (I think Dragons have a basic one too).
- Zodiac boss sprites were never given water-standing frames for some reason. The game gives their jobs the ability "Cannot Enter Water". Removing this ability and placing them on water = buggy anims.

egobomb
Mar 3, 2013
Arch, is there someplace to view those sprites? Especially curious to see GATO flying.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

One animation that amuses me is the Archaic/Ultima Demons' "long jump" animation. I think they throw their arms back and leap chest-first across gaps. :3:

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

egobomb posted:

Arch, is there someplace to view those sprites? Especially curious to see GATO flying.

From Spritedatabase.net:

Relevant Spoiler— Hover At Own Risk
There's boss type steel giants later on that can actually fly in-game.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
My favourite sprite is the Dycedarg wine glass scene sprite.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

run DNC posted:

My favourite sprite is the Dycedarg wine glass scene sprite.

What did you expect the Beoulves to drink? They are snooty high-class elite. Except Ramza.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Archael posted:

What did you expect the Beoulves to drink? They are snooty high-class elite. Except Ramza.

I think it's more just adoration of the fact that they went through the extra sprite work (and it's drat good, at that) for what's basically a one-off scene.

Archael
Dec 10, 2011

Kyrosiris posted:

I think it's more just adoration of the fact that they went through the extra sprite work (and it's drat good, at that) for what's basically a one-off scene.

Oh, I know what he meant. There's tons of extra work that went in this game that went unused. It doesn't end at sprite work— there's spell effects, sound effects, camera movements, music, and even AI scripts that went un-used.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Archael posted:

Oh, I know what he meant. There's tons of extra work that went in this game that went unused. It doesn't end at sprite work— there's spell effects, sound effects, camera movements, music, and even AI scripts that went un-used.

There's also stages too that weren't use that you can poke with Debug mode stuff.

But speaking of the AI scripts, is there any interesting ones in particular you could share? I'm still amazed by the one you said a long ways back of the AI knowing that applying Crystal on Ramza gives the player a game over, so if you hack a move that can do that the AI will use it on Ramza right away.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
As much as I'd like to maintain the Shakespeare theme, I love Chrono Trigger too much to not choose Gato.

Break
Feb 19, 2011
The show theme must go on! Caliban! (or some variation of it, I'm assuming you wouldn't split the votes of CALI.ban and Caliban).

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008
Upper Class: Sword Saint

Sword Saint was far-and-away the most powerful physical job in vanilla FFT. Given how crazy powerful sword skills were in vanilla, it follows that a job with access to all of them, plus excellent stats and equipment options, would dominate the game.

The 1.3 Sword Saint, however, is an entirely different story, having been nerfed harder than just about any other job in the game (aside from Calculator, which obviously no longer exists). On top of the general changes to sword skills, the Sword Saint lost access to a number of the most powerful sword skills, had its stats slashed across the board, and can no longer use much of the equipment that made up its staple loadout. The result is a sword skiller with a great deal of versatility but not a lot of power.

When discussing changes to the Sword Saint skillset, it's probably more relevant to mention what doesn't appear. Most of Holy Sword, half of Mighty Sword, and the Dark Knight's Dark Sword skill have all been removed from the Sword Saint's arsenal. Of particular note, the Sword Saint can no longer break weapons or drain MP, and lacks the 5-panel line attack of (Un)Holy Explosion. So what's left?

Lightning Stab is still probably the best AoE sword skill because of its range and vertical tolerance. It's also the only AoE attack in the Sword Saint skillset, so naturally it will see plenty of use.

Crush Punch ends up pretty lackluster, because by the time the player gets a Sword Saint, the instant K.O. proc isn't worth very much due to the prevalence of enemies immune to it. It's sort of a standout on the Sword Saint's skill list because it's the only skill that is likely to never see any use. When it comes to single target attacks, Night Sword and the two equipment breakers are usually better choices.

Blastar Punch and Shellbust Stab break helmets and armor, respectively. While not as powerful as a weapon break, being able to do 'permanent' damage (that can't be recovered via Power Source) is useful in the face of heavy sandbagging.

Night Sword is just as good on the Sword Saint as it is on the Dark Knight. While Crush Punch does deal slightly more damage, the HP drain and infinite vertical range make Night Sword the staple single-target attack against anything without equipment to break, and give the Sword Saint some solid staying power.

Power Ruin and Mind Ruin are new additions to the Sword Saint arsenal. Like Crush Punch, by the time a Sword Saint joins the party these skills are somewhat less useful in random battles. However, against bosses, destroying PA / MA is the main way to reduce their offense to manageable levels, so these are actually very valuable skills to have when needed.

---

Even more significant than the loss of many skills is the reduction in the Sword Saint's stats- and what a reduction! Just about the only attribute the job has that isn't decidedly mediocre is HP. The job's PA, MA, and Speed are all unremarkable, and its MP pool is downright poor.

Also of note are the changes to the job's equipment options. The vanilla Sword Saint usually wanted to run around with a Thief Hat and Power Sleeve, letting the job's naturally high HP and Night Sword (not to mention the Blade Grasp reaction) deal with incoming damage. 1.3 removed the Sword Saint's ability to wear Hats or Clothes, making it much harder to get stat boosts through gear, stat boosts that the job now needs more than ever. At least the Sword Saint can still wear Robes to make up for its awful MP.

Overall, the Sword Saint boasts a strong toolbox skillset, but is somewhat hampered by mediocre stats and equipment options. Its got a great AoE attack, a great single-target / self-heal attack, some okay equipment breaks, and the two stat breaks necessary for bosses. No matter the situation, the Sword Saint probably has at least one good option at its disposal. Unfortunately, none of the attacks will be particularly strong thanks to the job's low PA. The most obvious answer is to stick the skillset on a Knight, but that does defeat much of the Sword Saint's natural versatility, as four of the job's seven skills do the same thing as Battle Skill moves. While no longer one of the strongest jobs in the game, the Sword Saint is still a solid choice that will almost never lack a good play, even if its chasis leaves a bit to be desired.

J. Alfred Prufrock fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 16, 2014

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TL;DR Sword Saint is an ok skillset on a lovely chassis so stay just long enough to pick up the highlights then switch to knight. Congrats, you're vanilla Agrias without also offending the mechanics by being female. Can't even really use another chassis because your skillset duplicates both of the others you might use.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 23, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Sword Saint isn't a bad class to be in; most of its worst nerfs are to growths, with pretty much OK multipliers. If you pick up Orlandu at lv99 he's basically screwed, but if you weren't overleveling he can grab stats as other classes and then switch back. Or pick a good solid job that uses swords and throw All Swordskill onto it. Don't bother with Knight; with Power and Mind Ruin already in All Swordskill, you have the most important parts of Battle Skill for any bosses already. Something like Geomancer or something would work better; hell, make him a Sage if you have to!

As nerfed as Orlandu is I still brought him to the final fights. Do not overlook the massive staying power and debuff utility of Night Sword + Ruins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Don't really want to bother with geomancer since that has some serious overlap with lightning stab.

• Locked thread