Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Pobama posted:

I for one do. The cut-scenes from the Shadows of the Empire game for the N64 have a more coherent plot and better characters then the new trilogy.

Also it's a waaaaaay better idea than using anything from the EU. That stuff is largely toxic.

Clone Wars cartoon was EU, and that kid's show was much better than any of the lovely book or game plots (well, KOTOR 1 was "ok" plotwise, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
There's absolutely no chance the new Star Wars will be an adaptation of any pre-existing Star Wars media.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Darko posted:

Clone Wars cartoon was EU, and that kid's show was much better than any of the lovely book or game plots (well, KOTOR 1 was "ok" plotwise, at least).

People also died left and right. Hell, in one episode, a Jedi Master goes dark side and tricks his clones into killing each other. Because he really, really hates clones. They execute him for it. On screen, as I recall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pobama posted:

I for one do. The cut-scenes from the Shadows of the Empire game for the N64 have a more coherent plot and better characters then the new trilogy.

Also it's a waaaaaay better idea than using anything from the EU. That stuff is largely toxic.

You may want to check them again when it isn't 1996.

Shadows of the Empire was as awful and toxic as anything from the EU. Dash Rendar was a remarkably stupid character who only existed because they couldn't use Han Solo. Xixor (or whatever his name was) was the worst kind of stupid supervillain and there is not a single chance that Disney is going to film a scene where Princess Leia is almost raped for a kid's film. It was an awful thing that inexplicably got a merchandising push.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

scary ghost dog posted:

There's absolutely no chance the new Star Wars will be an adaptation of any pre-existing Star Wars media.

I wouldn't be surprised if they really did lift a couple concepts from the EU, possibly the names of the Solo children or a mention/cameo of an art-loving, blue-skinned Grand Admiral.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Pobama posted:

Shadows of the Empire is part of the EU. And is, in fact, one of the more toxic examples of the EU from it's earlier life. (Some recent stuff is worse, no doubt, but the actual story of Shadows is bad. Real bad.)

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

jivjov posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they really did lift a couple concepts from the EU, possibly the names of the Solo children or a mention/cameo of an art-loving, blue-skinned Grand Admiral.

Coruscant and its description as a city-planet were from EU before the movies. So was one of the Jedi backgrounders, Aayla Secura.

Also, Dash Rendar's ship made a cameo appearance on Tatooine in the Special Edition.

Oh, apparently this is a new casting call in London:

quote:

Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.

Young twenty-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

A late twentysomething male, fit, handsome and confident.

Seventy-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’ t need to be particularly fit.

A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.

Forty something male, fit, military type.

Thirtysomething male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They've got to balance out all that fit by having a character that's 400 pounds.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Corek posted:

Coruscant and its description as a city-planet were from EU before the movies. So was one of the Jedi backgrounders, Aayla Secura.

Also, Dash Rendar's ship made a cameo appearance on Tatooine in the Special Edition.

Oh, apparently this is a new casting call in London:

"Fit" is basically casting-ese for "attractive", yeah?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Unlucky posted:

They've got to balance out all that fit by having a character that's 400 pounds.

Of course, we need someone to play a Hutt.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sounds like it-

quote:

fit but not traditionally good looking

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I thought fit was common British vernacular for attractive.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Xizor was such a goddamn loser with his whole obsession with being better than Darth Vader for Reasons. I remember he had like super intense sparring sessions with robots that were made to look like Darth Vader and he'd totally kick their rear end and be like "Heh I'm so awesome, take that Darth Vader". I just imagine his staff/robot cleaning crew rolling their eyes and making jerkoff motions whenever he walked past.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Breakfast All Day posted:

I thought fit was common British vernacular for attractive.

Yeah, but they wouldn't use it like that in a casting call unless they have the world's most cockney casting director.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Casting by Ali G

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I took it as meaning 'will be doing lots of fighting'.

Though, yeah, cockney. (Streets video)

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.

Corek posted:

Coruscant and its description as a city-planet were from EU before the movies.

Not exactly. The name of the planet is credited to the EU, but the planet itself existed in early drafts of Return of the Jedi. Ralph McQuarrie even created some artwork of how it would look.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Fit = no fatties

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Shanty posted:

Yeah, but they wouldn't use it like that in a casting call unless they have the world's most cockney casting director.

As an aside, I'm doing a prop breakdown at the moment and the action direction is "XXXXX's horse stacks it, XXXXX flees on foot". I didn't realise Danny Dyer had started writing action notes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Murder McMurderson posted:

Not exactly. The name of the planet is credited to the EU, but the planet itself existed in early drafts of Return of the Jedi. Ralph McQuarrie even created some artwork of how it would look.

Yeah, in the first draft of the Return of the Jedi script, there was the city-planet capital, but it was named Had Abbadon. Zahn gave it the name Coruscant, which somehow stuck.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Was Boba Fett EU first? Since he appeared in the Christmas Special before Empire?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Was Boba Fett EU first? Since he appeared in the Christmas Special before Empire?

Depends on what you consider EU. The Christmas Special was a sanctioned by Lucas, had the original stars, and aired as a TV movie. Is that EU? Or just another movie, that now barely even counts in the canon?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thrawn527 posted:

Depends on what you consider EU. The Christmas Special was a sanctioned by Lucas, had the original stars, and aired as a TV movie. Is that EU? Or just another movie, that now barely even counts in the canon?

Lucas may not have directly produced, but he was definitely more involved than just signing off on it. This is my favorite anecdote about the Holiday Special:

quote:

“I said: ‘You’ve chosen to build a story around these characters who don’t speak. The only sound they make is like fat people having an orgasm,’” the 250-plus-pound Vilanch recalls. “In fact, I told Lucas he could just leave a tape recorder in my bedroom and I’d be happy to do all the looping and Foley work for him.”

Lucas met these comments with a “glacial” look.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Legitimately cracking up over here, thanks for the article.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

Makes sense when you consider how Abram's Star Trek doesn't retread any pre-existing Star Tre....

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

Shadows of the Empire is part of the EU. And is, in fact, one of the more toxic examples of the EU from it's earlier life. (Some recent stuff is worse, no doubt, but the actual story of Shadows is bad. Real bad.)

Seriously, the amount of subtle rape references in that book really freaked me out when I first read it at 12 years of age.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Makes sense when you consider how Abram's Star Trek doesn't retread any pre-existing Star Tre....

Everything Abrams retreads had already been featured in the movies. This is the equivalent to looking at some Voyager fanfiction and deciding to make a movie off of that.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

computer parts posted:

Everything Abrams retreads had already been featured in the movies. This is the equivalent to looking at some Voyager fanfiction and deciding to make a movie off of that.

They had trailers in theaters for the Shadows of the Empire game/book/comic/toys/trading cards/making-of book/RPG supplements/soundtrack (seriously it had a soundtrack that was basically a concept album on the story's themes). You couldn't actually get the whole story unless you had the game, book, and comic.

They tried to repeat it ten years later with The Force Unleashed but even Wookieepedia admits "the project largely fell flat due to the many delays of the game". They also did two separate Clone Wars projects, one between episodes 2 and 3 (i loved the '02 game when I was a kid) and another one from 2008-2012.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dark Empire is the best EU. They should make that be the sequels, done with lots of CGI and in a very literal 'Sin City' style.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Isn't that the one with David Bowie Palpatine?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

The Warszawa posted:

Isn't that the one with David Bowie Palpatine?

Yes it is, but I liked it too. :iiam:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Miltank posted:

Yes it is, but I liked it too. :iiam:

Look I think we can all acknowledge that if this movie doesn't have Lando introducing Luke to that strange and mysterious beverage called "hot chocolate," it's failed to draw from the best of the EU.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I for one am interested in figuring out just what exactly happened to the GLOVE OF DARTH VADER

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Miltank posted:

I for one am interested in figuring out just what exactly happened to the GLOVE OF DARTH VADER

We should hold a Moffrence. Someone page Trioculus.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bid you all Dark Greetings.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I wonder how much of the EU could have been saved if they'd just let Han and Leia become Nick and Nora Charles in space.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering the general quality of the writers that get hired? They'd probably save it by finding different ways to make a mess of things.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Seriously, the amount of subtle rape references in that book really freaked me out when I first read it at 12 years of age.
We must have diverging definitions of subtlety

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Madurai posted:

I wonder how much of the EU could have been saved if they'd just let Han and Leia become Nick and Nora Charles in space.

I've run noir themed Star Wars RPGs, so I'd have to say it'd probably work amazingly well. I just with I'd seen any of the Thin Man movies beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
I say bring back the kid from the Ewok movies (Syndel?) but she's grown up* and teamed up with Wicket the Ewok but he's surly and middle aged (Warwick Davis reprising the role).

*and played by a real actress and not one of the producer's children

• Locked thread