Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

triplexpac posted:

if only WWE knew how to properly utilize his craziness.
Didn't Triple H pretty much bury Steiner when they feuded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

Didn't Triple H pretty much bury Steiner when they feuded?

Triple H actually, in the early build, put him on his level. The booking itself, however, was an utter disaster, with actual main event muscle posedown contests and other assorted garbage, but he sold Steiner as an actual threat. Steiner buried himself with his atrocious PPV performance though, which Steiner attributes having gone into it with a hosed up foot. If you've never heard of the vaunted Stumblebomb '03, that comes from Steiner being so winded he nearly ended Triple H's life with a horribly botched powerbomb.

All this is off memory though, and those angles seem kinda vague in my mind, so it's entirely possible I'm misremembering and HHH actually buried Steiner beforehand.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Oh gently caress I forgot about that. :magical:

Seriously, HHH was INCHES from never getting up from that thing.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Triple H actually, in the early build, put him on his level. The booking itself, however, was an utter disaster, with actual main event muscle posedown contests and other assorted garbage, but he sold Steiner as an actual threat. Steiner buried himself with his atrocious PPV performance though, which Steiner attributes having gone into it with a hosed up foot. If you've never heard of the vaunted Stumblebomb '03, that comes from Steiner being so winded he nearly ended Triple H's life with a horribly botched powerbomb.

All this is off memory though, and those angles seem kinda vague in my mind, so it's entirely possible I'm misremembering and HHH actually buried Steiner beforehand.

The star of that match was Steiner's purple thong for sure.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That match was like 27 minutes long and Steiner could have probably gone MAYBE 7 or 8 minutes at that point. The stumblebomb, the botched diamond-cutter looking thing, 11,000 suplexes in a row, Steiner just falling backwards on his rear end cuz he's too tired to stand, the crowd rightfully booing the poo poo out of it. Steiner was in obvious pain for most of it and it was kinda sad to see him out there. It was terrible.

Its an extremely entertaining match for all the wrong reasons.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I wonder if HHH was just so full of himself that he thought he could walk Steiner through an epic long match, like his hero Ric Flair would

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I'm trying to find Stumblebomb '03 on YouTube but no dice.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

triplexpac posted:

I wonder if HHH was just so full of himself that he thought he could walk Steiner through an epic long match, like his hero Ric Flair would

This is literally what happened. They were scheduled for a more reasonable length but HHH insisted he could handle a main event style match with Steiner.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
So the blame is basically 70% Steiner, 20% HHH, and 10% booking?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

oatgan posted:

This is literally what happened. They were scheduled for a more reasonable length but HHH insisted he could handle a main event style match with Steiner.

Ok, that makes sense then. Because I was going to say, anyone with half a brain would know that Steiner can't go for a long match. So either HHH was full of himself and thought he could carry it, or HHH wanted to bury Steiner.

Wasn't HHH really puffy at that time anyway? I wouldn't have thought he'd want to go that long himself, he wasn't in shape like he was in 2000.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

Shiki Dan posted:

So the blame is basically 70% Steiner, 20% HHH, and 10% booking?

I would say alot of the blame should be placed moreso on booking and Triple H. It was pretty well known that Steiner had been having nerve problems with his foot. The match should have been 7-10 minutes with a non-finish to lead to their follow up match at No Way Out the next month. Especially when you already have Benoit/Angle and a Royal Rumble match on the card, there is no reason for the HHH/Steiner match to go for as long as it did.

Edit: Looking back, I guess it did have the dq finish with the sledgehammer. But still, that match should have been at least half the time it was.

antitroll
Jun 1, 2000

I hate the Midway

Isaac Bruce Bowen posted:

I'm trying to find Stumblebomb '03 on YouTube but no dice.
Here you go, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHlQBRMesSA&t=1255s.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Weren't Steiner's WCW main events just 15 minutes with lots of run ins?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

An underhook stumble bomb, even better!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

Weren't Steiner's WCW main events just 15 minutes with lots of run ins?

Every Vince Russo main event was that, yes.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Havoc904 posted:

I would say alot of the blame should be placed moreso on booking and Triple H. It was pretty well known that Steiner had been having nerve problems with his foot. The match should have been 7-10 minutes with a non-finish to lead to their follow up match at No Way Out the next month. Especially when you already have Benoit/Angle and a Royal Rumble match on the card, there is no reason for the HHH/Steiner match to go for as long as it did.

Edit: Looking back, I guess it did have the dq finish with the sledgehammer. But still, that match should have been at least half the time it was.

He kept doing it, too. He had stupidly long main events with folks like Goldberg and Nash just to prove that he could.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Snacksmaniac posted:

An underhook stumble bomb, even better!
It's probably me but it didn't look as bad as I thought it would look.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The Steiner/HHH match also looks bad because it is immediately followed by Benoit/Angle, the MOTY.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, I'm sure a wrestler could analyze it better, but he always drops people kinda to the side when he does that move, so I couldn't see how HHH went down at a dangerous angle or anything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of the realities of HHH is that he's just not good enough to carry guys. His matches with Steiner made that readily apparent.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of the realities of HHH is that he's just not good enough to carry guys. His matches with Steiner made that readily apparent.

I think it was Cornette (but I'm sure someone else said it before) that HHH is the guy who works WITH the Main Eventer, not the Main Eventer himself. I'd always just assumed it was because he wasn't that good (I REALLY don't like Hunter) but it seems more likely this is what they meant.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Coming off his quad injury, HHH was gassed to the gills and couldn't go like he used to. HHH in 2000 was awesome, and if he didn't balloon way up in side he probably could have still put on good matches in 2001.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Another factor that Steiner talks about in his shoots is that due to injury leading into the match, they didn't get a chance to work together. Normally when you have a PPV match the two guys have been able to work with each other on houseshows to learn each others timing and work out spots. They didn't have that, and then called the match in the ring which just led to all sorts of problems.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Okay, now I know the story of that match.

I know what "gassed" means in an athletic context, but when I first heard about HHH's match with Steiner I read someone saying he couldn't do anything but take a bunch of belly-to-bellys because he was so gassy. That was a very different mental image.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Coming off his quad injury, HHH was gassed to the gills and couldn't go like he used to. HHH in 2000 was awesome, and if he didn't balloon way up in side he probably could have still put on good matches in 2001.

Yeah, I remember him having a really fun and short match with Taka Michinoku when he came back from the neck injury in the early summer of 2000. Thats just a random match off the cusp as well that doesn't include all the main events and other matches he was part of during that 2000 run.

But yeah, I think that quad injury definitely made him slow down a ton more. Plus he was trying to work classic heel style matches that just weren't meshing with what people were seeing else where on the card. When you had the Smackdown Six tearing it up, ladder matches with Edge/RVD/Jericho/Christian/etc on almost a monthly basis and so on; having Triple H work these slow style matches just made him look lovely.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Still laugh every time at Stumblebomb '03. I think it's the "HEH" just before he does it.

God Scott Steiner is loving great.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Havoc904 posted:

Yeah, I remember him having a really fun and short match with Taka Michinoku when he came back from the neck injury in the early summer of 2000. Thats just a random match off the cusp as well that doesn't include all the main events and other matches he was part of during that 2000 run.

But yeah, I think that quad injury definitely made him slow down a ton more. Plus he was trying to work classic heel style matches that just weren't meshing with what people were seeing else where on the card. When you had the Smackdown Six tearing it up, ladder matches with Edge/RVD/Jericho/Christian/etc on almost a monthly basis and so on; having Triple H work these slow style matches just made him look lovely.

That Taka match came after he lost a handicap match to Kaientai & The Brooklyn Brawler by pinfall. Triple H from late 1999 to his injury had a run of really good to great matches

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I believe Meltzer has said that HHH wanted to force Steiner to work that kind of match to expose him. I have no idea why.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

That Taka match came after he lost a handicap match to Kaientai & The Brooklyn Brawler by pinfall. Triple H from late 1999 to his injury had a run of really good to great matches

Actually there was a Taka match in April of 2000 that was when he came back and had APA for outside protection.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1gji3_hhh-vs-taka-michinoku-from-raw_sport#.UcI6UPmyD3A

The Brooklyn Brawler, Kaientai handicap match didn't take place until his feud with Jericho in July of that summer.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Didn't the first episode of Smackdown feature the great TAKA vs. Triple H match we all fondly remember?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
This was the best thing to come out of Big Poppa Pump's WWE run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJYNaj005ws

Scott Steiner goodness a little more related to WCW/TNA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUJsNB7T43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZsEX4eUcuo

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 20, 2013

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite HHH thing was him (As Bryan Alverez put it) annoying a building full of people who had paid to see Goldberg win the title because he wanted to put on a "great match" when he was fit. So they changed the title at Unforgiven in a "No seriously guys, the title is going to change this time we swear" match.

And my other favorite Triple H burial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsymUkFv6g

I don't know why Hurricaine got a competitive 7 minute match with Triple H but it's pretty fun watching it.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 20, 2013

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

triplexpac posted:

It's too big a project for me, but it would be amazing if someone made a video companion to the Rise & Fall book. Obviously it wouldn't be able to be sold or legitimately acknowledged, but it would be great to have.

When Bill Simmons' Book of Basketball came out, he had a web page which consisted of a bunch of Youtube links listed next to the corresponding page and passage. A similar deal could easily be set up.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

LordPants posted:

I don't know why Hurricaine got a competitive 7 minute match with Triple H but it's pretty fun watching it.

Because Rock put the Hurricaine over in their mini feud and HHH was playing politics at the time. It's the same reason he wanted Booker T to beat Rock in the build up to mania when he knew he was going to beat Booker in the title match.

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

LordPants posted:

And my other favorite Triple H burial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owsymUkFv6g

Wow, Hurricane had more offense in that match than I remembered.

I seem to remember this being after Hurricane had some great segments with the Rock, and Trips basically went, "Well, this kid's starting to get over. I'd better Hogan him before it gets out of hand."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

An Actual Bear posted:

Still laugh every time at Stumblebomb '03. I think it's the "HEH" just before he does it.

God Scott Steiner is loving great.

Where exactly in the match is it?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Where exactly in the match is it?

20:59

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Triple H got a pretty solid match out of The Great Khali, which is so beyond my ability to comprehend that I feel like I just watched the Battlebowl all over again.

But then he also got a horrendously bad match out of Kozlov that probably destroyed any chance Kozlov had to be elevated for all time.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Triple H got a pretty solid match out of The Great Khali, which is so beyond my ability to comprehend that I feel like I just watched the Battlebowl all over again.

But then he also got a horrendously bad match out of Kozlov that probably destroyed any chance Kozlov had to be elevated for all time.

Kozlov was almost as bad in the ring as Khali, albeit more mobile. I'll give him a pass on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

MassRafTer posted:

I believe Meltzer has said that HHH wanted to force Steiner to work that kind of match to expose him. I have no idea why.
oh my god maybe that stupid STDH.txt story that Scott Steiner told about being asked to take a drug test was true and this was Trips' revenge