Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Here's kind of a different request:

I just got a shiny new Nexus 4 phone, and being confronted with the possibilities of a phone that won't poo poo itself trying to run apps, I'm looking for games to try.

In particular, I'd like some games that take a minimum of interaction, so I can "play" them at work. Something kind of like the facebook models where you set them to gather resources, then every couple of hours just log in and dictate what to do with those resources (preferrably if your decisions can upgrade your resource gathering to be more efficient and feel like you're making progress).

The caveat to that is I don't want a ridiculous "freemium" game where it's going to nag for money every couple of taps, and I don't want the facebook style model where 9 out of 10 actions require you to spam invites to all of your friends in order to make progress. I want to actually get somewhere playing solo and without emptying a credit card into it.

The OTHER caveat is that I'm not interested in PvP. 99% of these games use the "Travian" model where all you do is build armies and then go bash down your neighbors door. I don't want to log in at lunch and find some 12 year old has razed my town. I just want to collect resources, dammit :sigh:.

Is there an android version of ProgressQuest? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'd be interested in something like this as well!

Give me Integer Counter: Android Edition!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Tagra posted:

I just got a shiny new Nexus 4 phone, and being confronted with the possibilities of a phone that won't poo poo itself trying to run apps, I'm looking for games to try.

In particular, I'd like some games that take a minimum of interaction, so I can "play" them at work. Something kind of like the facebook models where you set them to gather resources, then every couple of hours just log in and dictate what to do with those resources (preferrably if your decisions can upgrade your resource gathering to be more efficient and feel like you're making progress).

The caveat to that is I don't want a ridiculous "freemium" game where it's going to nag for money every couple of taps, and I don't want the facebook style model where 9 out of 10 actions require you to spam invites to all of your friends in order to make progress. I want to actually get somewhere playing solo and without emptying a credit card into it.

The OTHER caveat is that I'm not interested in PvP. 99% of these games use the "Travian" model where all you do is build armies and then go bash down your neighbors door. I don't want to log in at lunch and find some 12 year old has razed my town. I just want to collect resources, dammit :sigh:.

Dungeon Raid is a great at-work game, since it's turn-based and picks up/leaves off instantly. It's a tile-match game where you brainlessly drag your finger across things to collect them/kill monsters for ever and ever.

Or it WOULD be, except monster eventually outscale you no matter how well you play :( I hate puzzle games like that. I'd much prefer a game that kills me when I gently caress up, not when the math says it's impossible to continue. 10000000 did that too.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

I have Dungeon Raid! I also started watching Amazon's free app of the day and got an android remake of an Ian Livingstone adventure book, which is super nifty because I used to love those things.

I'm still hoping for something that's less hands-on, though. Something I can surreptitiously check in on when I'm not technically supposed to be on break :ninja:

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I go in for shoulder surgery tomorrow. I already have some mouse-only games to play (Civ V, Don't Starve, Bit.Trip Beat, Jamestown), however I could definitely use some more recommendations, preferably on Steam. Here's my steam profile if it helps.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

terre packet posted:

I go in for shoulder surgery tomorrow. I already have some mouse-only games to play (Civ V, Don't Starve, Bit.Trip Beat, Jamestown), however I could definitely use some more recommendations, preferably on Steam. Here's my steam profile if it helps.

X-Com:EU (or even the original X-COM:UFO Defense) can be played mouse-only and would keep you busy for a while.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Reive posted:

Is Armored Core V any good? I'm thinking of either picking up V or 4:A and they're the same price..

It's okay, but there's no point in buying it because Verdict Day is out later this year. 4A is pretty good, though.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Tagra posted:

Play Pocket Frogs. A cursory google also suggests that yes, there is an android version of ProgressQuest, although I can't say whether it's still available/any good/whatever. Although now I'm disappointed there's no ios version for me.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

MooCowlian posted:

A cursory google also suggests that yes, there is an android version of ProgressQuest, although I can't say whether it's still available/any good/whatever. Although now I'm disappointed there's no ios version for me.

Ahahahaha... the reviews on Google Play... :allears:

Pocket Frogs looks amazing. Thank you!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

If my main goal is to be a massive :spergin: about weapon designs and ship combat, which space 4X is best?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Reive posted:

Is Armored Core V any good? I'm thinking of either picking up V or 4:A and they're the same price..

I absolutely adored 4A, completed almost (Occupation :argh:) every mission's hard difficulty. V I was unimpressed with, as it is even slower than the first three generations. And is multiplayer focused, if that tilts you one way or the other.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

StashAugustine posted:

If my main goal is to be a massive :spergin: about weapon designs and ship combat, which space 4X is best?

Galactic Civilizations II: The Dread Lords

It's the single most robust weapons and ship designing game I have ever seen.

Reive
May 21, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's okay, but there's no point in buying it because Verdict Day is out later this year. 4A is pretty good, though.

Yeah but Verdict Day could play radically different from V, it's not really an upgraded version of the same game, just a new game with the same framework, like pretty much every couple of AC games.

I ended up getting 4A and am pretty happy with it, I still want to try V though.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Definitely Star Ruler. You have an absurd amount of control over ship design, including size. You can build a ship literally as big as the entire galaxy, although that will take a very long time.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm looking for an over the shoulder 3rd person action game with RPG elements. Basically, something like The Witcher 2. Also preferably something from the last 3 or so years. I'm not wanting to play something that looks like complete poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

I'm looking for an over the shoulder 3rd person action game with RPG elements. Basically, something like The Witcher 2. Also preferably something from the last 3 or so years. I'm not wanting to play something that looks like complete poo poo.

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga.

It's got a pretty good sized world to explore, some great attention to detail in world and quest design, and that odd eastern European humour.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mokinokaro posted:

Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga.

It's got a pretty good sized world to explore, some great attention to detail in world and quest design, and that odd eastern European humour.

Cool. I've owned that for years but never played it. Must have got it during the flurry of a steam sale in the past. Guess it's time to install it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

What's the most system-demanding game out there nowadays? It always used to be the Crysis series, but, Origin...

I see Witcher 2 recommended a lot for trying out maxed settings. Is that the go-to right now?

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Tagra posted:

What's the most system-demanding game out there nowadays? It always used to be the Crysis series, but, Origin...

I see Witcher 2 recommended a lot for trying out maxed settings. Is that the go-to right now?
I could be completely wrong but the Witcher 2 runs incredibly well on PC, so maybe try Arma 3, Metro:LL or Company of Heroes 2 instead?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ CoH 2 is optimized pretty well. Metro: LL is a great choice though.

Crysis 3 is still the big one.

Far Cry 3 might make a decent benchmark. I think it's more demanding than Witcher 2.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 20, 2013

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Mordiceius posted:

Dark Souls?

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
Is Dark Souls worth playing with M+KB or will I need to buy an xbox controller before going into that game?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Mahasamatman posted:

Is Dark Souls worth playing with M+KB or will I need to buy an xbox controller before going into that game?

I flat out couldn't cope with the keyboard controls. It's not an -awful- port, but the controls are seriously the most hosed up things I have ever seen.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm a hardcore PC controls guy - i played Darksiders and the Batmans with M+KB - and i still reached for my USB controller minutes after i started Dark Souls for the first time. The keyboard controls are awful because the game was designed from the ground up for a controller and wasn't meant to come to PC.

On the other hand, the controls are excellent with an actual controller. Because, well, the game was designed from the ground up for a controller.

You should probably invest the one-time fee of like 30$ into a USB controller anyways, it can be handy in multiple ways and for multiple games and will likely last you around 5-10 years.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Tagra posted:

Witcher 2 will obliterate your system with Uber Sampling but it's kind of pointless. Gorgeous game regardless but at this point mere mortals can max it out other than that one option.

Crysis 3 and Metro Last Light are the heavy hitters right now. Origin won't bug you.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Galick posted:

I flat out couldn't cope with the keyboard controls. It's not an -awful- port, but the controls are seriously the most hosed up things I have ever seen.

I disagree. It IS an awful port (the blunder with the resolution would be enough to put the game down if it wasn't easily fixable), but still totally worth it.

Do yourself a favor and get a controller though. There are too many keys for you to reach easily and quickly in the middle of combat, and one mistake can (and will) kill you.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
DSFix is also pretty essential.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for a 3rd person RPG also, but different from Dark Souls.

I'm looking for a game where you start off pretty weak and with crap gear, but where you eventually turn into an awesome demigod with amazing, ornate gear, and when you fight you fill the screen up with effects and just go apeshit.

Basically I'd like to play a 3rd person game where the player's rise in power is incredibly well represented visually through gear and combat effects as the game goes on.

I'm not looking for any MMOs though, please.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a game where you start off pretty weak and with crap gear, but where you eventually turn into an awesome demigod with amazing, ornate gear, and when you fight you fill the screen up with effects and just go apeshit.

Basically I'd like to play a 3rd person game where the player's rise in power is incredibly well represented visually through gear and combat effects as the game goes on.

You could give Kingdoms of Amalur a try. Your character gets pretty ridiculous toward the end.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Danger Mahoney posted:

You could give Kingdoms of Amalur a try. Your character gets pretty ridiculous toward the end.
No, don't do that. That's unironically the dullest RPG I've ever played.

Instead, you would want Divinity 2:Dragon Knight Saga (or Developer's Cut). :getin:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

A lot of people seemed to enjoy Kingdoms of Amalur. I had 0 expectations and bought it solely because I'm in Rhode Island and figured I should try to support the state's stupid decision. I also found it really dull, but most I talked to liked it. I'd call it "Baby's First RPG" because there was very little depth, but I'm also a pretty picky gamer.

I don't think it's worth the $20 it costs right now, but GreenManGaming.com usually has a 25% off coupon on the weekends you could use.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Seconding Divinity 2. It was kinda meh on release but the Dragon Knight Saga really kicked it into solid territory.

Also if you go into it with the mindset of just wanting to break everything and be absurd in an awful game, Two Worlds. Not the sequel, that lost the campiness of the first and was just bland as hell.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Can anyone here vouch for E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy? It looks like an off-the-wall bonkers version of Deus Ex.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AHungryRobot posted:

Can anyone here vouch for E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy? It looks like an off-the-wall bonkers version of Deus Ex.

That's the gist of it. I love it. Get a friend and play it co-op, it's even better that way.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

AHungryRobot posted:

You'll either love it or hate it, I fell into the latter camp but some people seem to like it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

AHungryRobot posted:

Yeah, that's about right.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

AHungryRobot posted:

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Can anyone point me in the direction of a game along the same lines of the original dungeon siege? Where you aren't stuck as any class but can do whatever you want as long as you put the time in, large world to explore, and where you find gear that you actually want to work towards being equipped.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Regarding E.Y.E.: In any case, it'll be $2.49 (or under $2, if you find buddies for the 4-pack) in a few weeks when the summer sale starts, and it's easily worth that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

You've basically described the Gothic series and/or the first Risen. You start out pathetically weak and a stiff breeze will kill you, and by the end you're an enormous juggernaut of destruction killing everything in your path without breaking a sweat.

The difficulty curve is also really, really smooth, to the point that becoming an elite engine of death kind of sneaks up on you. At o the point where it suddenly dawns on you that you're murdering the poo poo out of things that would have ground you to a fine paste a few hours prior.