Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

BULBASAUR posted:

I feel the same way with rhino rivets. I end up filing, sanding, or cutting them off by accident just trying to get the model cleaned up. At least I'm going for the weathered look so missing rivets can count for battle damage

I'm OCD enough to just order more shoulder pads whenever a bunch get messed up, but considering I'm playing Nurlge dudes I should probably just make them look even more hosed up and say it's on purpose.

Edit: Anyone know where I can find Death Guard Havok shoulder pads? They aren't listed on the GW site anymore, and they were awesome.

Fake James fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
WIP chat: I actually have a Google Docs file to keep track of all the stuff that I'm working on, and a preferred order to finish everything...

Next projects:
cone reflector for small hobby light, cover with photo cloth
make light box sturdier
airbrush C & Dark Eldar kabal symbol on army case
Finish Heldrake
finish Nurgle Dreadnought
- pimples and small blisters
- skulls and fly symbol
- find, paint and blister rocket arm
- magnetize left arms
Finish painting Plague Marines - basing mostly
Finish painting metal Chaos Terminators
fix & paint Land Raider in chapter colors (airbrush)
assemble & paint Predator sponsons
fix & paint black Rhino in chapter colors (airbrush)
make green Rhino into Nurgle Rhino (convert & paint) (airbrush)
- magnetize top door & turret
- magnetize sponsons & side doors
make Nurgle Heldrake
- make main body
- find wings
- make legs
- make base & stand
- cast body in silicone
paint remaining Khorne Berzerkers
convert & paint Dark Vengeance Dark Angel Terminators to Nurgle Terminators
finish and cast autocannon
convert 8 Chaos Marines to Havocs
fix & paint Kharn
paint Abaddon
paint Horus
Tyranids: base Genestealers
Tyranids: assemble Hive Tyrant
Tyranids: assemble Guards
Tyranids: repaint & base Hormagaunts
Tyranids: check out how to magnetize Horma/Termagaunts
Tyranids: make Tervigon
Dark Eldar: assemble last Raider
Dark Eldar: paint Raiders (8)
- magnetize where possible (blades, sails)
paint Epic orks
hot wire foam cutter - 1.25v+ phone charger/wall wart
Dark Elf BB team
Ork BB team
Munchkin figures
Frag figures
Finish Plague terminators
paint Forgefiend (airbrush)

Terrain projects:
dreadnought + Rhino-size wreck marker (video)
Land Raider wreck marker
detail red storage silos
road sections (4” wide) - 14 12” sections, 2 45-degree sections?, 2 T-junctions, 1 4-way
tree areas - Lexan, green flock on top
bog/swamp areas - Lexan, painted, edged with flock, some small islands
ponds - Lexan, painted, edged with flock
tall 3-story wrecked building
shattered remnants of buildings on base
horizontal storage tank
wrap & detail cardstock buildings
Mining funnel thing
wrecked house
big wrecked house
exploded 2-story house
small storage tanks from cans, etc
medium raised water tank
small raised water tank
Epic terrain: make & cast
3 Predator/Rhino wreck markers
4 60mm craters for Dreadnoughts, etc
4 Rhino/Raider size craters

struck-through items are completed...but a lot more to go

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 20, 2013

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
Eldar:
1 Farseer
10 Warlocks
40 Dire Avengers
15 Banshees
10 Rangers
15 Fire Dragons
10 Wraith Guard
7 Wave Serpents
2 Fire Prisms
3 War Walkers
1 Wraith Lord

Tau:
9 Crisis Suits
1 Riptide
30 Fire Warriors
20 Pathfinders
2 Devilfish
2 Hammerheads
1 Skyray
3 Broadsides

Fortunately, I only have a Land Raider, about a dozen terminators, a tactical squad and a dreadnaught and my 5k Salamanders army is fully painted. The Tau is a very recent purchase, and the Eldar was bought as a lot from a goon not that long ago either, and I've been having a hell of a time settling on a scheme for the Eldar, and and and...:suicide:

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Warmachine
Cryx Starter (touch up)
Circle Starter

Warhammer
Elves IOB set plus
20 Mantic Spearmen
20 Mantic Archers
20 Mantic Seaguard
15 Mantic misc (corpses, weapon piles, cats, etc)
10 extra Reavers
2 extra Mages

Warhammer 40k
Space Sharks marines (10)

Other
15mm Spearman (10)
15mm Sci Fi Heroes (4)

Terrain
4 x 15mm ruins
3 28mm huts

Part of me wants to flip all the fantasy stuff just to get it off my painting area. I've played one game of WFB in the last year and if I get the itch to do so again I have an Orks army I can borrow pretty easily. Bartertown is a pain in the rear end to deal with though. It would go a lot easier if I had a dedicated painting area, but I wind up using the kitchen table since my house is so small.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Limp Wristed Limey posted:

Post your WIP pile!

Well we are finally done moving into our new house, but I havent finished setting up my painting station. Once that is done though... I dont even loving know.

Infinity, Pan O and Nomads 60ish figures
Bolt Actions, Americans and Germans, 140 figures
Uncharted Seas, Imperial Human navy, 50 models
Firestorm Armada, a bit of every faction 80 models
Heavy Gear Blitz, North and South factions. 60 figures
Kings of War, Undead, Orcs, and Elves.
Sedition Wars, all the stuff from the Kickstarter 120 figs or so.
Anima Tactics around 10 figures
Malifaux, about 40 figures
Dust Warfare, German, American, and USSR, more than I can count.
A ton of terrain, and I am not even counting the misc figures / kits that I got for "fun"

Sorry if the image quality isn't very good, first time using this new camera.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Tau
3 Broadsides
3 Crisis Suits
2 Piranahs
1 Hammerhead
2 Devilfish
36 Fire Warriors
1 Cadre Fireblade
1 Riptide

Dark Angels
1 Belial
20 Tactical Marines
20 Terminators
3 Bikes

Blood Angels
2 Sanguinary Priests

Thank god for the painting thread or I'd never get any of this done.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I got a quarter way through my WIP pile and deleted it all as it was already so long if I finished it i would probably hide forever.

I know theres a few guys in here that do commission work, can I ask a few questions of them?

How did you get started?
How do you advertise?
What will you and wont you take on?
Is there any project you've entirely regretted doing for someone?

I'm thinking of supplementing my income with a bit of painting but I want to be drat sure its worth getting into.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

serious gaylord posted:

I got a quarter way through my WIP pile and deleted it all as it was already so long if I finished it i would probably hide forever.

I know theres a few guys in here that do commission work, can I ask a few questions of them?

How did you get started?
How do you advertise?

I'm thinking of supplementing my income with a bit of painting but I want to be drat sure its worth getting into.

Ha I am just on my first commision now. I sold my tau broadside on ebay and got asked by the seller to do two devilfish for him.
Usually when I sell stuff on ebay I will be asked if I do commissions.
I have had a couple of people asking me to do armies which I immediately turned down.
As this is my first commision no bad experiences so far. The guy is chill and we have an agreement that they will be done when they are done.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

serious gaylord posted:

How did you get started?
How do you advertise?

I got started by painting minis for people at our local wargame club. I started cheap, because it gave me practice and they didn't expect amazing quality. I did it for barter as well, which gave me more supplies to use in my hobby. Sometimes I've painted something to resell for someone and taken a percentage of the profit.

Before I moved, I had a display in my FLGS with my information, and built a base around my eBay customers. Now that I've moved, lost my painting workroom, and there are no FLGS around closer than an hour, I've taken a small hiatus from advertising for commission work. I primarily buy stuff I think looks cool, paint it, use it for a little bit and flip it on places like eBay or Bartertown. Since I have "gaming add" this helps.

I won't take on a job I wouldn't want to do for myself, if that makes sense. For example. I also don't like taking jobs if there's stuff I want to paint for myself first, but that's something I just have to deal with since those jobs help pay for my gaming hobby.

I hate hate painting Warhammer infantry, having to paint 30 guys the exact same scheme drives me nuts and turns into tedium, so I tend price jobs like that extra expensive if I even want to do it at all. On the other hand I love painting one off pieces and large pieces like warjacks.

So far there are no projects I have 100% regretted doing, but there's jobs I won't take again unless there is good money in it. My worst project was painting a 10 man warhammer fantasy black orc unit, which was hybrid metal / plastic and already primed some black, some white, some grey. I thought I'd get in easy and just paint them as is primed, but I wound up having to strip all of them and re prime them the same color so it all looked consistent.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Thanks a bunch for your responses guys. My plan was to paint stuff in my backlog and just flip it on ebay while advertising that I do indeed take commissions, and leave my prices as a quote only, that way I can be selective in what I'd like to do.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

LumberingTroll posted:

Well we are finally done moving into our new house, but I havent finished setting up my painting station. Once that is done though... I dont even loving know.

A ton of terrain, and I am not even counting the misc figures / kits that I got for "fun"

You have a lot of Vallejo airbrush primer.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

LumberingTroll posted:

Where'd you get your paint racks from I need them.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

serious gaylord posted:

I'm sure those are Back2Bas-ix http://www.back2base-ix.com/

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

JoshTheStampede posted:

You have a lot of Vallejo airbrush primer.

No such thing! (I hate running out of stuff and needing more.)

serious gaylord posted:

krushgroove posted:

I'm sure those are Back2Bas-ix http://www.back2base-ix.com/

This is accurate, unless you mean the ones against the wall with the Minitaire paint, those are standard nail polish racks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VN31JO/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I keep all my stuff stored away in boxes. I am the worst warham because I hide my shame from others :(

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I just painted a crimson hunter -

Man, all the flaws really come out after uploading pictures :(.

I just plain forgot to do things

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
I got the Sotar, whee!

Now I need to get the adapter I forgot. It looks like all the quick connect/disconnect pieces are the same - around a 1/8", so I'm guessing this means I can just get the male end of a badger quick connect and it will fit fine with the female piece on the end of the hole - am I being stupid optimistic or is there really such a thing as quick-release standardization when it comes to the non-hose/brush connections? (I'm looking at this)

Also if anyone has bought a connector and it works, please tell me to buy it and I will do exactly that.

I know it's as likely to be me wanting to think that the Sotar is a lovely thing, but drat is the trigger mechanism a huge jump up from my master G22. It's a shame I can't paint better :3:

e: never mind, I am dumb

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 21, 2013

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Hixson posted:

That's pretty slick, honestly! I dig it. And pictures always bring out some unflattering detail; I realize that I have to dust like half the poo poo I paint by the time I take pictures.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
I painted Woldwrath. He really didn't have enough runes engraved in the stone, not enough at all.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

Dude, I don't want to be guy to say it, but this looks pretty terrible. You should pack it up and send it to me so I can dispose of it for you.

Seriously though, its ace work. You're getting better with every model even without an airbrush. If I had any feedback I'd say that I would like to see a few more white decals on the red and maybe pushing your highlights a little more. The colors just pop so well it would ice the cake, so to speak.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Nighttheii posted:

I painted Woldwrath. He really didn't have enough runes engraved in the stone, not enough at all.

Faaaaaaaaaantastic! I love it. The gems look great too.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Nighttheii posted:

This is legit as hell.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Just picked up this kit today in the hopes of converting the bug for my Daemon army.

I seem to recall someone else posting this a while ago, in this thread or the 40k one. Anyone recall that, or know what became of the conversion? The model is quite big for Warhammer, and I'm not quite sure what unit to make it as. Nurgle beast is the obvious choice but that base is too small I think. Greater Daemon or Daemon prince? I am new to the hobby so I have no cool bits, I'll have to buy some. Plague drone wings and other Nurgle stuff. Currently travelling so might find some fun kits for cheap to use. Any thoughts or tips would be great!

VVV

Bandai, I think. They also had really great ones with the robots from Laputa. Would be great for Tau conversions perhaps, or ancient Chaos infested xeno tech.

Bolverkur fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 21, 2013

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti

Bolverkur posted:

Just picked up this kit today in the hopes of converting the bug for my Daemon army.

I seem to recall someone else posting this a while ago, in this thread or the 40k one. Anyone recall that, or know what became of the conversion? The model is quite big for Warhammer, and I'm not quite sure what unit to make it as. Nurgle beast is the obvious choice but that base is too small I think. Greater Daemon or Daemon prince? I am new to the hobby so I have no cool bits, I'll have to buy some. Plague drone wings and other Nurgle stuff. Currently travelling so might find some fun kits for cheap to use. Any thoughts or tips would be great!

What company is this from? I like those models.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm gonna have to get/make those Nausicaa models, I loved the movie way back when (it's on a 'must watch again' shelf actually) and that is a great starting point for my upcoming Nurgle Heldrakes.

Nighttheii posted:

Took the liberty of taking out the purple hues you got there, is this closer to what you've got?

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
I am the fortunate beneficiary of BuffaloChicken's Heldrake conversions that he posted earlier. Here they are painted!

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

I remember those. Were those things actually made from the Nausicaa Ohm model?

I give up.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Red Shoe posted:

I am the fortunate beneficiary of BuffaloChicken's Heldrake conversions that he posted earlier. Here they are painted!

Lovely! so cuddly

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Bolverkur posted:

I remember those. Were those things actually made from the Nausicaa Ohm model?

I give up.

looks like Tervigons, Tyrants and Blight Drones + extra stuff to me.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thanks for the kind words guys. I think I'm going to pick up another one soon, i'll post it up when its done!

They look disgusting. nice work.

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

serious gaylord posted:

looks like Tervigons, Tyrants and Blight Drones + extra stuff to me.

Close! They come from Tervigons, Blight Drones, and Plague Drones.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Red Shoe posted:

Close! They come from Tervigons, Blight Drones, and Plague Drones.

Was wondering where the wings were from, thats it! Plague Drones. Brilliant idea.

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi

krushgroove posted:

Took the liberty of taking out the purple hues you got there, is this closer to what you've got?

It is. Thank You! (I'm bad at photoshop)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I really cant state enough how learning to use some basic things (auto colour correct, brightness+contrast) can really make your models look so much better.

Taking a few hours to play with things and learn what works will make you feel so much better about your paintjobs.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

IrvingWashington posted:

Also if anyone has bought a connector and it works, please tell me to buy it and I will do exactly that.

Is this the QD connector you're using? If so, then yes, the 51-038 is a great fit for it. (I ran into a similar situation myself.) If you're using a different brand of QD connector, I'd recommend emailing Badger's customer service. They're extremely helpful and usually pretty prompt with their responses.

Red Shoe posted:

As delightfully gross as these are, I think it's the eye-lenses that are really making them work. They're so clean and shiny, they really pop next to all that filth, and give the impression that the Nurgledrakes can see you

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
Those nurgle things are pretty high on the awesome scale.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Red Shoe posted:

Burn them and disinfect your room.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I think I've read just about every post in here about compressors, but I have no clue what to buy. I had some terrible compressor that had no regulator, moisture trap or air tank and was loud as hell, but it just died. I want to replace it with something decent, and preferably quieter so I don't feel like a dick every time I use it in my apartment building. Anyone have reccomendations?

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010

Finally finished this duder with your feedback.

C&C again please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Is this the QD connector you're using? If so, then yes, the 51-038 is a great fit for it. (I ran into a similar situation myself.) If you're using a different brand of QD connector, I'd recommend emailing Badger's customer service. They're extremely helpful and usually pretty prompt with their responses.

As delightfully gross as these are, I think it's the eye-lenses that are really making them work. They're so clean and shiny, they really pop next to all that filth, and give the impression that the Nurgledrakes can see you

I'm happy to hear it works, I decided to use gloss varnish instead of painting the lenses to preserve their inky blackness.

• Locked thread