Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Fears about things like this have always influenced my driving habits WRT following distance and avoiding staying behind industrial vehicles and trucks. The lady who restocks our office lunch/coffee room had a tire hit her truck a couple years ago and had to have glass removed from her eyes :gonk:
Don't forget about quarry/construction site trucks getting bricks jammed between their duallies, ready to fling out at a random moment when back on the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Das Volk posted:

Fears about things like this have always influenced my driving habits WRT following distance and avoiding staying behind industrial vehicles and trucks. The lady who restocks our office lunch/coffee room had a tire hit her truck a couple years ago and had to have glass removed from her eyes :gonk:

Yeah, this is why when I see a truck carrying poo poo like that, gently caress the speed limit, it's time to pass them. Never stay behind or next to anything carrying loads that aren't absolutely securely tied down.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Why couldn't the caddy just slow down earlier and get back in the proper lane instead of risking lives with only 3 seconds to spare? Sure the bro truck driver was an rear end in a top hat but the caddy driver was a dumb rear end in a top hat. The only thing blocking the caddy in the passing lane was his ego.

The caddy tried to slow down, the bro truck slowed down too to match him and keep him in the oncoming lane. It was very deliberate.

Edit: Hell, I'm fairly certain the caddy actually stopped, and the truck stopped right next to him, and when he started moving again trying to get back into the right lane the truck followed him. What I don't understand is why he didn't just pull off the road, as there were a couple businesses we passed in this 1/4 mile or so that this was going on, with parking lots on that side of the road. My guess is the old guy was just freaked out and not thinking straight.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 18, 2013

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
One day I hope to be wealthy enough that my GT2 is the car I decide to leave sitting in a parking garage unattended.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Looks like the layer of dust on this thing has gotten thicker since the last time it was posted :v:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Speaking of stuff falling off things. My mate almost got very hosed up a few days ago at the ring.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Das Volk posted:

Looks like the layer of dust on this thing has gotten thicker since the last time it was posted :v:

I want to track it so bad :(

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Speaking of stuff falling off things. My mate almost got very hosed up a few days ago at the ring.

How does that even happen? Besides a car crashing and people not picking up debris.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

kastein posted:

My dad saw a lovely contractors truck lose a few 5 gallon pails, a spade, and a ladder into i495 while commuting in the mid 90s... no pictures, but he said it was awesome because the spade bounced off the windshield of the marked police cruiser that was right behind the truck.

About a year ago I caught a 5 gallon bucket with my hood - flew out of the back of a contractor's pickup. Since it was on a tollway, 911 wouldn't touch it - only state troopers can touch anything on NTTA property. And they wouldn't come out, they just asked if I got a plate, and said I'd need to sue the tollway authority. Even though I had the actual plate too... :iiam:

One of many reasons that I can't wait to GTFO of Texas.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

G-Mach posted:

How does that even happen? Besides a car crashing and people not picking up debris.

French tat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYrOnFv7A8c

It actually bent the steering wheel. He's a lucky lad.

The fella who the spring belonged to did buy him a new wheel at least :newlol:

E: Here's the wheel.

Bape Culture fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 19, 2013

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
:stare:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Holy poo poo that looks like when Massa got clocked by a spring a few years ago, guy's lucky to even be alive. :stare:

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Don't race cars if you're a big baby who's afraid to meet the reaper. He was out again a little bit later that day :newlol:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Always afraid of poo poo like this when on my motorcycle, a poorly placed spring to the heat would ugh.. be terrible.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

some texas redneck posted:

About a year ago I caught a 5 gallon bucket with my hood - flew out of the back of a contractor's pickup. Since it was on a tollway, 911 wouldn't touch it - only state troopers can touch anything on NTTA property. And they wouldn't come out, they just asked if I got a plate, and said I'd need to sue the tollway authority. Even though I had the actual plate too... :iiam:

One of many reasons that I can't wait to GTFO of Texas.

Just about every state is like that. In Illinois if you're not on the tollway they won't call the DOT service trucks to help out if you're broken down or in a ditch. The state troopers will come by, see if you're physically OK, and then leave.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Skreemer posted:

Just about every state is like that. In Illinois if you're not on the tollway they won't call the DOT service trucks to help out if you're broken down or in a ditch. The state troopers will come by, see if you're physically OK, and then leave.

HCTRA (Harris County) has roadside assistance on all the toll roads and will come out, change flats, gas you up or get you a tow. I'm not sure where NTTA is.

I had a 4-Runner kick up a 3' long piece of 4x4 that thankfully hit sideways right at the base of my windshield and starred the whole thing. If it hit end-on it would have come right through. The piece of wood flew up and over the car behind me and the rear end in a top hat didn't even slow down. I was spitting out glass.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

:stare:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The caddy tried to slow down, the bro truck slowed down too to match him and keep him in the oncoming lane. It was very deliberate.

Edit: Hell, I'm fairly certain the caddy actually stopped, and the truck stopped right next to him, and when he started moving again trying to get back into the right lane the truck followed him. What I don't understand is why he didn't just pull off the road, as there were a couple businesses we passed in this 1/4 mile or so that this was going on, with parking lots on that side of the road. My guess is the old guy was just freaked out and not thinking straight.

This right here is the type of poo poo that will get you shot in some states.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

This right here is the type of poo poo that will get you shot in some states.

Like New Hampshire, unfortunately we were about 10 miles too far south.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

:tinfoil: BIG BROTHER

Not my photo, but this is right here in DFW.

I like the cameras watching each other. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You know what you need to do.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

kastein posted:

I dunno if I could cum hard enough to hit something that high, but willing to give it a go

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

You Am I posted:

I dunno if I could cum hard enough to hit something that high, but willing to give it a go

Just collect your 'samples' in a super soaker, you should be good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

You Am I posted:

1. I'm pretty sure you need to see a doctor if it comes out like that.
2. I considered making exactly the same joke and decided not to. Thank you for verifying that I'm not the only one with a 5-year-old sense of humor on here :v:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

:tinfoil: BIG BROTHER

Not my photo, but this is right here in DFW.

I like the cameras watching each other. :v:

This is a perfect example of Texas excess. HP has what? 1500 people in it? I've seen 5 marked Tahoes hanging out in the parking lot together. Alternatively, Quinlan has about the same number of people and recently had a vote on whether or not to add a 4th officer. Park Cities is a 2sqmi speed trap, and they don't even hide that fact.

I have a severe hate-on for that part of town.

EDIT, tho in their defense that pic was taken on... Mockingbird, right? That street is a giant clusterfuck and if I were a municipality I'd record everything on it just to avoid liability from the driver, but mainly from the sue-happy residents.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Become Spider-man?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Rhyno posted:

Become Spider-man?
Other way around; Spiderman becomed the camera.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

delpheye posted:

This is a perfect example of Texas excess. HP has what? 1500 people in it? I've seen 5 marked Tahoes hanging out in the parking lot together. Alternatively, Quinlan has about the same number of people and recently had a vote on whether or not to add a 4th officer. Park Cities is a 2sqmi speed trap, and they don't even hide that fact.

EDIT, tho in their defense that pic was taken on... Mockingbird, right? That street is a giant clusterfuck and if I were a municipality I'd record everything on it just to avoid liability from the driver, but mainly from the sue-happy residents.

It's actually a parking enforcement vehicle.. in UP :v: The cameras are used to verify how long a car has been parked in the same spot - over 2 hours? You just got yourself a ticket... even if you actually left that spot for an hour and came back.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

kastein posted:

I thought I was supposed to be using expanding builders foam for those hijinks. not silly string :ohdear:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

silly string is just expanding foam for people with commitment problems.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Since we're sharing personal gore photos...

A wheel from a Dodge Ram Super Diesel hitting your windshield at 90 KM/h is always an amusing way to become alert.

lazer_chicken
May 14, 2009

PEW PEW ZAP ZAP

OSI bean dip posted:

Wheel to the windshield

Years back, one of my friends had a crowbar fall off a truck and hit her windshield. It looked pretty much just like this. :stare:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!

It's actually a parking enforcement vehicle.. in UP :v: The cameras are used to verify how long a car has been parked in the same spot - over 2 hours? You just got yourself a ticket... even if you actually left that spot for an hour and came back.

HP, UP.. like there's a difference. haha. I noticed it was UP as I was typing but obviously, :effort: so it's probably Hillcrest and not Mockingbird. Either way both of those towns' revenue streams are basically from traffic tickets. I don't know how many times I've been pulled over for doing less than 5mph over the speed limit.

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
Windshield pictures made me remember the time I was on a rural gravel road, came over a rise and there was a piece of a tree in the middle of the road from a storm. Bounced off the front of my hood and smacked my windshield directly in front of my face. drat thing held up well.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I screwed up as a younger driver and didn't yield (in the left turn lane) to a Ford Explorer in my 1990 Civic hatchback. Got T-boned, but at least I didn't get a shattered windshield like the rest of you suckers! Replacing a windshield is so expensive, too.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nice Jesus fish

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

delpheye posted:

Guys, that's a parking enforcement unit. There was a blurb in the newspaper a while ago mentioning that they're moving to a more automated system - drive down mockingbird or similar and it takes pictures of EVERY car parked, and they write the tickets AFTER the fact - one guy in this car can drive up and down and write a shitload of tickets vs. your old metermaid.

Edit: not that this is *good*, but whatever.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It also probably checks to see if the plate/car was reported stolen and flags it for a sworn officer to respond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/790410.shtml#.UcOHTflmh8G

quote:

A woman tragically killed her husband and herself while backing up her car in an underground parking garage in Ningbo, Zhejiang Province on June 18 as their 6-year-old daughter watched in horror from inside the car.

Qianjiang Evening News reported 41-year-old driver surnamed Lin, who was issued a driver’s license in May, was practicing backing up her Lexus RX270 SUV into a parking space as her husband directed from behind, when she backed up too far and pinned him against the wall.

According to the report, Lin stuck her head out the window upon hearing her husband’s scream, and accelerated in an attempt to move forward. She however forgot to change gears from reverse to drive, which not only killed him instantly but caused her head to get stuck between the car and a wall along the parking space.

Rescue team arrived soon after but Lin died from her sustained injuries in a nearby hospital, said the report. The couple’s 6-year-old daughter saw the entire tragedy unfold from inside the car.

A source surnamed Yang said that Lin had successfully parked in the space once before that day, but her husband asked her to do it again because she needed the practice.

Oh Toyota~