Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

I actually think "more ambitious projects" is precisely what's going to pull Wii U out of the hole it's dug, especially if they can think of a compelling use for the gamepad that isn't a minigame collection.

That said, F-Zero is probably not the franchise to excite with, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Mandrel posted:

Seriously. Look Nintendo, you don't NEED to come up with some new loving gimmick for every single iteration of your franchises. It's a racing game, make new graphics and tracks and racers. It doesn't need to be like F-Zero Cat World and all the cars have cats and you have to rub the pad to really get the sensation of what owning a cat as like. The space-cars go really fast and we want to drive them again but in different places this time. For gently caress's sake, this isn't hard.
Man, can you imagine the cacophony of whining if Nintendo actually did start legitimately milking their franchises by releasing the same game over and over again rather than trying to make each one unique and distinct?

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Crosscontaminant posted:

Man, can you imagine the cacophony of whining if Nintendo actually did start legitimately milking their franchises by releasing the same game over and over again rather than trying to make each one unique and distinct?

Would it be louder than the cacophony of whining about Nintendo releasing superficially similar games for the sole purpose of bolting terrible gimmicks onto them?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

StevenM posted:

Would it be louder than the cacophony of whining about Nintendo releasing superficially similar games for the sole purpose of bolting terrible gimmicks onto them?

Yes, actually. Look at the feedback when Twilight Princess came out about how it wasn't different enough.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Nightskye posted:

I actually think "more ambitious projects" is precisely what's going to pull Wii U out of the hole it's dug, especially if they can think of a compelling use for the gamepad that isn't a minigame collection.

That said, F-Zero is probably not the franchise to excite with, no.

Ambitious projects are risky, risky projects often don't make much money and frequently bomb spectacularly. All projects take money before, during, and after production. Wasting a ton of money in increasingly short supply is a good way to make investors very wary and hesitant to give more.

Nintendo as a company is very cautious and conservative and will be in a far better position to take some chances if the WiiU sales pickup in the next 12 months as their 1st party hitters like Mario Kart, DK, SSB, and other higher anticipation games hit shelves. We might see some riskier propositions (i.e. older/new IP) in 2015/2016 assuming all goes well and they pull another DS/3DS midlife miracle.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I think we are going to see every game represented in Nintendoland before they release Nintendoland 2. It's like the Nintendo version of the Avengers.

Stop crying about F-Zero or I'll call the Earthbound fanboys.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Given their habit of using the franchise as a technical dick wave (4-player link cable, water physics, high quality water) I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten Wave Race yet just so they can show off some HD water. I could say the same about 1080 really, but then Blue Storm and Avalanche were (and still are) 2 of the best looking games on the Gamecube.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I think we are going to see every game represented in Nintendoland before they release Nintendoland 2. It's like the Nintendo version of the Avengers.

Stop crying about F-Zero or I'll call the Earthbound fanboys.

Hey, they got their wish. It's only a matter of when they actually release Earthbound on the WiiU :argh:.

njsykora posted:

Given their habit of using the franchise as a technical dick wave (4-player link cable, water physics, high quality water) I'm honestly surprised we haven't gotten Wave Race yet just so they can show off some HD water. I could say the same about 1080 really, but then Blue Storm and Avalanche were (and still are) 2 of the best looking games on the Gamecube.

From the look of the trailers, they're using Pikmin 3 for their latest so-called technical dick-wave. It looks gorgeous :allears:.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

njsykora posted:

Oh gently caress I'd love to see a new 1080.

Nintendo has so many god drat franchises that are great. This us why we're here.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Was there only one F-Zero game for the Gamecube? I remember it being extremely difficult in the single-player campaign.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Oh gently caress I'd love to see a new 1080.

Nintendo has so many god drat franchises that are great. This us why we're here.

Too bad the franchises that they actually use are getting smaller and smaller...

God loving dammit. You want sales Nintendo? Try using that 14 billion dollar Wii/DSlite piggybank you made and utilize your franchises! :argh:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

SyRauk posted:

Was there only one F-Zero game for the Gamecube? I remember it being extremely difficult in the single-player campaign.

Nope, just GX. And yes GX is absurdly loving difficult. In fact it's probably one of the hardest games in existence that isn't technically broken.

The "single-player" missions were just hyper challenges for those who mastered the game's mechanics, of course they're not advertised as such which can lead to confusion and pure anger.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

fivegears4reverse posted:

With the PS4, paying monthly for the online service also nets you unlimited access to a chosen set of games so long as you select to "purchase" those games. You don't even need to download them right away, as long as you're a PS+ member, those games are more or less available for download forever, unless they are for whatever reason pulled from PSN. This service also extends to the PS3 and the Vita, and gives you far more extensive discounts than what we've seen Nintendo be willing to do for the majority of their digital content. If you stop paying for the service, these games do not go away, and as soon as you elect to pay for the service again, you can play 'em again.

It's kinda ridiculous how generous PS+ is (even when you consider how that generosity is just a fancy hook at the end of the day). Even with it being required for multiplayer games on the PS4, it's provided plenty of folks with more games and other assorted stuff (if you consider the original prices much of it launched at) for one year of being on the service than I've spent on the Wii U (deluxe console, one Wiimote+Chuk, Monster Hunter, NSMBU).

PS+ is cool, sure. Basically renting those games for as long as you are a subscriber is alright.
I really should have left out the bit about paying for multiplayer, as the main point I was getting at was that the "basic" PS4 is constantly being held up against the Deluxe Wii U to make the price difference seem smaller than it is in reality. To actually play anything on the PS4, the customer has to pay more money either for a retail or downloaded game, or by paying for PS+ to get access to those games. Buying a PS4 only costs $50 more than buying a Deluxe Wii U, but playing a PS4 adds to that amount by up to $60 - and maybe more if you want to play a game online.

There is more than $50 difference in the price of a Wii U and the price of a PS4.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

There is more than $50 difference in the price of a Wii U and the price of a PS4.

Do you really think consumers are smart enough to see that though? They're going to see $349 vs. $399.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Bobnumerotres posted:

The "single-player" missions were just hyper challenges for those who mastered the game's mechanics, of course they're not advertised as such which can lead to confusion and pure anger.

Looks like it's time for the obligatory link to the greatest instance of getting angry at video games ever to be put in text.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nope, just GX. And yes GX is absurdly loving difficult. In fact it's probably one of the hardest games in existence that isn't technically broken.

Speaking as someone who has 100% this game entirely gently caress the "rescue Jody" mission.

Jumbled_Johnsons
Jul 2, 2011

by T. Finninho

Bobnumerotres posted:

Do you really think consumers are smart enough to see that though? They're going to see $349 vs. $399.

A certain percentage of potential and actual customers will realize that when an actual game is factored in, the difference is more like $100.
I certainly don't know what percentage that is or will be, but it exists, yes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Oh my loving god thank you for that. That is gold.

The mission in question:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUs4bwG1tTA

This dude is more amazing than I will ever be at this game, I daresay he pretty much did a perfect run here and I would call it tool-assisted but he isn't snaking and he wins by a god drat nose and comes very close to exploding quite a few times.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Jumbled_Johnsons posted:

PS+ is cool, sure. Basically renting those games for as long as you are a subscriber is alright.
I really should have left out the bit about paying for multiplayer, as the main point I was getting at was that the "basic" PS4 is constantly being held up against the Deluxe Wii U to make the price difference seem smaller than it is in reality. To actually play anything on the PS4, the customer has to pay more money either for a retail or downloaded game, or by paying for PS+ to get access to those games. Buying a PS4 only costs $50 more than buying a Deluxe Wii U, but playing a PS4 adds to that amount by up to $60 - and maybe more if you want to play a game online.

The PS4 is launching with a bunch of free to play games so technically you don't have to pay extra to play on it.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 21, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

You're grasping at straws dude. The free game that came with my WiiU, anecdotally speaking, barely gets any play due to not having a lot of people over. My fiancée and I play it two player, but that Ghost game and such are kinda poo poo with just two people.

The one player games in NintendoLand are also about as good quality as I can get on my iPhone for free. They have little to no staying power.

At the end of the day, saying a PS4 with a game is only $100 more still sounds like a great deal if we're factoring in how the previous generation did.

Nintendo needs to come down in price or they're hosed. I am 100% confident that the WiiU version of let's say Watchdogs will not perform as well as the next gen consoles will, much like how Assasins Creed and Batman somehow lost performance even though its a more powerful system.

The game pad is becoming a joke too. Play to the strengths of the system you dolts!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I'm apparently the worst Nintendo fan because while I think it would be awesome if Nintendo put out another F-Zero game, there's no chance I'd ever buy it because the only racing games I've ever enjoyed are Mario Kart and Star Wars Pod Racing, so I'd just be sending Nintendo mixed messages.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

You're grasping at straws dude. The free game that came with my WiiU, anecdotally speaking, barely gets any play due to not having a lot of people over. My fiancée and I play it two player, but that Ghost game and such are kinda poo poo with just two people.

The one player games in NintendoLand are also about as good quality as I can get on my iPhone for free. They have little to no staying power.

At the end of the day, saying a PS4 with a game is only $100 more still sounds like a great deal if we're factoring in how the previous generation did.

Nintendo needs to come down in price or they're hosed. I am 100% confident that the WiiU version of let's say Watchdogs will not perform as well as the next gen consoles will, much like how Assasins Creed and Batman somehow lost performance even though its a more powerful system.

The game pad is becoming a joke too. Play to the strengths of the system you dolts!

If you don't like Nintendoland, the Wii U costs $300. If you do have people over and thus want Nintendoland, it's a fantastic game that's far and beyond the quality of most free-to-play games and it doesn't have a paywall for any of its content.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Crosscontaminant posted:

Isn't that basically what NSMB2 is? And Link to the Past 2? It's not every game but they do get in a rut sometimes.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also isn't the Basic bundle pretty much being phased out? So it's disingenuous to say there's a $100 difference at this point. In the future you'll only be able to find Deluxe models. Maybe they will update the SKUs this fall.

We could use another Nintendo Direct.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Nickoten posted:

If you don't like Nintendoland, the Wii U costs $300. If you do have people over and thus want Nintendoland, it's a fantastic game that's far and beyond the quality of most free-to-play games and it doesn't have a paywall for any of its content.
Well, the 8GB on the Basic is terrible, and also retailers are starting to get rid of it.

I do suspect that closer to the holiday season Nintendo will drop the Basic entirely and drop the Deluxe to $299.

waffle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jun 21, 2013

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Isn't that basically what NSMB2 is? And Link to the Past 2? It's not every game but they do get in a rut sometimes.

LTTP2 is a sequel to a game from 1991, and it's 2013, so that's not really "milking."

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

I must be some kind of simpleton for getting 40+ hours out of the single player stuff.

What does this even mean or prove? That's like saying, "Well I am 100% confident Call of Duty will sell better on the Xbone compared to the Wii U." Batman and Assassin's Creed were lovely ports... I guarantee you the same kind of poo poo will happen when people try to port 360/PS3 games to the Xbone and PS4.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

waffle posted:

Well, the 8GB on the Basic is terrible, and also retailers are starting to get rid of it.

I do suspect that closer to the holiday season Nintendo will drop the Basic entirely and drop the Deluxe to $299.

I agree that the Basic version is kinda lovely, I'm just saying that "I don't like Nintendoland" is not really a rebuttal to the "PS4 with a game is a hundred bucks more than the Wii U bundle that comes with a game" point when the Nintendoland-less bundle is $300.

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

Some people think all the games Nintendo produces are rehashes, other people think they're just needlessly trying to fix what isn't broken by adding gimmicks - and to be honest there's plenty evidence for both arguments. New Super Mario series shares assets and music and mediocre level design from DS to Wii U. Conversely, restricting the overworld to trains or turning into a cave drawing detracts from the enjoyment of the core Zelda formula.

It's easy to boil it down to opinions on quality - "If I like it, then they're just trying to dilute it down with gimmicks! If I don't like it, then they're rehashing it!"

That statement about F-Zero needing a gimmick "good idea that's new" to "make it into a really great game again" doesn't exactly set my heart on fire though, it just sinks at the thought that a sequel has to have some feature bolted on to make it 'different' and that other games can't be similar in execution or use of that feature. Then I just think of Mario Kart 7 (gliders! boats!) and Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed (air! water!) and remember there's plenty of room for interpretation.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SyRauk posted:

Technically there were two games on the disk, but you have to use a cheat device to access the arcade version. :v:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

StevenM posted:

New Super Mario series shares assets and music and mediocre level design from DS to Wii U.

What? Both NSMBW and NSMBU had significantly better level design than their DS and 3DS counterparts. Or are you talking art aesthetics, because there's a difference between that and level design.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Gimmick for F-Zero: combine it with Star Fox.

Super fast track racing, super challenging Arwing flying.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Best part is that it's semi-canonical with Starfox Command! :shepface:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Make a Grand TheFt-Zero nintendo tia

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Make a Grand TheFt-Zero nintendo tia

"Cousin Falcon! Let's go Nester Bowling!"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jesus this was back in 2003? drat.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nobody gets to complain about lack of a new F-Zero while the best Star Fox game came out SIXTEEN YEARS AGO WHERE IS A NEW STAR FOX NINTENDO

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Strange Matter posted:

Best part is that it's semi-canonical with Starfox Command! :shepface:

That was the only ending I liked. I still foolishly hope someone latches onto that idea and we also get a game where Capt. Falcon runs around punching either space ships or Dinosaur Planet dinosaurs.

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody gets to complain about lack of a new F-Zero while the best Star Fox game came out SIXTEEN YEARS AGO WHERE IS A NEW STAR FOX NINTENDO

Kamiya is furiously searching crate after crate for the plans to Star Fox in Nintendo's ip warehouse, he'll find it next to the Arc of the Covenant.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Was there any news of new Zelda game at E3? (Not WW remake)

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bombadilillo posted:

Was there any news of new Zelda game at E3? (Not WW remake)

No but the Director dropped some vague hints after E3. It's gonna have an art style they haven't used before, and they may or may not be taking some inspiration from Skyrim are the two I remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

theflyingorc posted:

This is the beauty of Nintendo. They have like 50 franchises and you'll find at least 100,000 people who want like 30 of them made. But if Nintendo made sequels or new titles for all 30 of those franchises, there'd still be a chunk of people bitching that Nintendo doesn't do enough original anymore.

• Locked thread