Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Tell Tudiya about the "Storm is Coming" and "Save for Years of Hardship" dream instead

Edit: Also keep eating. Gotta eat well if you want to be a big swole warrior.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I we are not sure what was a dream or not.

I think the alternatives might involve exorcism and such.

Edit: and Ishmal told us to eat whenever we can, so also more soup.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 22, 2013

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Tell Tudiya about the "Storm is Coming" and "Save for Years of Hardship" dream instead

Lets do this.

Facebook Aunt fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 22, 2013

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Enkidel thinks for a moment then realizes that what he really wants to ask about is the snippets of messages he's been getting. What the "Storm is Coming" and "Save for Years of Hardship" warnings he has received mean. He's got a pretty good handle on sharkdad by now.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Option C Let's ponder this in years to come.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Ask about the 'storm is coming' and 'save for years of hardship' messages

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

G
This poo poo could be important.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

Plan Lanky Coconut Tree yet again! Voting for this, though we should later ask Jalitha exactly why talking about not-dad Shushem is a bad idea. Perhaps its something more than the years of horror she experienced.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.

Mr. Wednesday posted:

This option

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Going with this.

Tudhalias
Sep 7, 2009

This vote is my vote.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Sure, I guess.

It makes me curious what mom's reasoning is. She obviously hasn't had the nicest experience with him, but that didn't stop her before.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Changing my vote to this.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
C Bide our time, we'll have a chance to ask him directly at a later time.

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.

I still think trying to tell Tudiya about any voices or dreams is going to be met with a laugh and him telling us we had a nightmare. We aren't going to being taken seriously.

I'm more interested in why Jalitha is acting the way she is about Shushem, if there's more to it than Shushem being a lovely person who beat us. Agree to drop it, but we want to know why we can't mention fish dad. There are a lot of crazy things happening right now that could be important for others to know - we need more than "Trust me" at this point.

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax
G

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
C

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
I'd like to go with I, since it's what I wanted last vote, but c'mon, we can`t do that. We just had a vote that decided 'don't ask that question, ask about the dream', we can't then choose, as a vote for how to go about actualizing that vote, to do the thing we decided not to do :confused:

Anyway, I'll go with H: Tell the story, but leave out the details of your personal relationship with Shushem, out of deference to Jalitha's nonsense. She seems concerned, so even though we still want to talk about it, we'll hedge a little bit on details about Shushem since she seems so worried about it, even if we don't know why. Without further details though, we're not going to forget or ignore it entirely, so say we were on a beach with the high priest from the village, who was making us do things for him, and who was a ravenous shark.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Theglavwen posted:

I'd like to go with I, since it's what I wanted last vote, but c'mon, we can`t do that. We just had a vote that decided 'don't ask that question, ask about the dream', we can't then choose, as a vote for how to go about actualizing that vote, to do the thing we decided not to do :confused:

Anyway, I'll go with H: Tell the story, but leave out the details of your personal relationship with Shushem, out of deference to Jalitha's nonsense. She seems concerned, so even though we still want to talk about it, we'll hedge a little bit on details about Shushem since she seems so worried about it, even if we don't know why. Without further details though, we're not going to forget or ignore it entirely, so say we were on a beach with the high priest from the village, who was making us do things for him, and who was a ravenous shark.

We voted to ask about the fishy dream, then Jalitha cautioned us not to. Twice. So, we're going to heed her advice and ask about the other dream. We can ask Jalitha why she fears mentioning our relationship to Shushem later, perhaps mentioning how we might be the son of the high priest that tried to kill Tudiya might be a bad idea. As far as Tudiya and Co. know, we're just the son of Jalitha who is a fellow Zepathian / El-worshipper. I don't think they know of our training, or of Shushem's relationship with us, or even of what Shushem did to us / Jalitha. Might sour things.

Please also note this: Last game, we had a Sebek figure to caution us. This game, we do not yet. It's usually best to heed these sort of warnings from characters close to us, because the potential for it to be a very... tumultuous result is very high.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
, the text-based visions only. Maybe we can talk to him about the other dream later, when we've learned the language and Mom isn't around.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

We voted to ask about the fishy dream, then Jalitha cautioned us not to. Twice. So, we're going to heed her advice and ask about the other dream. We can ask Jalitha why she fears mentioning our relationship to Shushem later, perhaps mentioning how we might be the son of the high priest that tried to kill Tudiya might be a bad idea. As far as Tudiya and Co. know, we're just the son of Jalitha who is a fellow Zepathian / El-worshipper. I don't think they know of our training, or of Shushem's relationship with us, or even of what Shushem did to us / Jalitha. Might sour things.

Yeah, which is why we leave those details out.

I dunno, just seems weird to have, as an option for this vote, 'do that thing that just got outvoted last time', just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the options Diogenes is presenting; he wants to know how we'll handle our desire to talk about this dream, and talking about something else entirely doesn't seem, to me, to be an answer to that; seems like less of a decision to stay mum, and more of a decision to just forget what we were focused on and suddenly be focused on something else that's better.

Edit: And as for whether or not it's a bad idea, if Tudiya's the big shining paragon he's made out to be, he'll probably be cool with it, he didn't seem particularly phased by our flying off in the middle of that last fight. And if it is a bad idea, well, good thing to know, even if we could keep it a secret the rest of our life, full disclosure at some point seems like a better idea to me, as it gives us a more informed idea of how to proceed from here, and allows Tudiya to proceed with full information, letting us utilize his knowledge to the fullest.

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 22, 2013

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

Diogines posted:

Option A and B are removed. The other options remain.

Oh ffs. All right, GH combo, then. Let's just speak directly to Tudiya without waiting for translation from mom, but instead of mentioning Shushem by name or even "fish priest" we'll just say a shark on two legs. All the other details will remain the same. We know that this is important but we want to be a Good Boy for mom.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Theglavwen posted:

Yeah, which is why we leave those details out.

I dunno, just seems weird to have, as an option for this vote, 'do that thing that just got outvoted last time', just doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the options Diogenes is presenting; he wants to know how we'll handle our desire to talk about this dream, and talking about something else entirely doesn't seem, to me, to be an answer to that; seems like less of a decision to stay mum, and more of a decision to just forget what we were focused on and suddenly be focused on something else that's better.

Edit: And as for whether or not it's a bad idea, if Tudiya's the big shining paragon he's made out to be, he'll probably be cool with it, he didn't seem particularly phased by our flying off in the middle of that last fight. And if it is a bad idea, well, good thing to know, even if we could keep it a secret the rest of our life, full disclosure at some point seems like a better idea to me, as it gives us a more informed idea of how to proceed from here, and allows Tudiya to proceed with full information, letting us utilize his knowledge to the fullest.

Diogines lets us write in for a reason, if we feel that this plan is better we're free to choose it. Let him worry about how it will play out in Enkidel's head. As it is right now, it's more of us respecting our mother's wishes to not talk about Shushem and instead we'll talk about something related.

I'm perfectly happen to tell Tudiya the full details about fishdream. But take into account that we're sitting around the campfire just recovered, and we'll be telling the dream to everyone here. Is this really something we want to do? We just woke up, here's a big story about walking sharks, flying whales, and giant fishing lobsters? Far better to say here's a story that may be from God, whose god we don't know but it sure seems like an important thing.

And this means we get to grill Jalitha on Shushem and all that later on, when we're walking and can talk to her alone.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mr. Wednesday posted:

THIS

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Diogines lets us write in for a reason, if we feel that this plan is better we're free to choose it. Let him worry about how it will play out in Enkidel's head. As it is right now, it's more of us respecting our mother's wishes to not talk about Shushem and instead we'll talk about something related.

I'm perfectly happen to tell Tudiya the full details about fishdream. But take into account that we're sitting around the campfire just recovered, and we'll be telling the dream to everyone here. Is this really something we want to do? We just woke up, here's a big story about walking sharks, flying whales, and giant fishing lobsters? Far better to say here's a story that may be from God, whose god we don't know but it sure seems like an important thing.

Eh, it's fair enough, as I say I'd like to see the result, but mostly because it's what I wanted to see previously. I can sympathise with the idea that changing the question is just a way of avoiding talking about the dream, but although Diogenes does let us write in our own votes, they're still typically to be kept within the theme of the current vote, and it doesn't seem terribly fitting to me, deciding to deal with the current topic by switching to one we decided, immediately previously, wasn't what we wanted to talk about. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you feel Jalitha's warning would be enough to completely dissuade Og/Enkindel from bringing up what was, apparently, foremost in his mind. I don't think it would be.

And as for 'is it really something we want to do, bring up the dream in front of everybody?', well, yes, it is, as it's what we just voted for; nothing's really changed since the character decided it wasn't a concern thirty seconds ago.

But, as I say, it's fair enough, 'I' was a strong showing last time, so this vote can be read as deciding not to pursue a topic and instead going with something else we wanted to do. Still, seems sour to me to decide on one course of action, then, in the vote for how to go about doing it, to essentially cancel what we just decided and pick something else from the previous vote. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was the character's choice, and the way things went, so I'll continue in that vein for at least a little while.

OhYo
Apr 14, 2006

I. Cut to the chase cause mother can't handle it.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Theglavwen posted:

Eh, it's fair enough, as I say I'd like to see the result, but mostly because it's what I wanted to see previously. I can sympathise with the idea that changing the question is just a way of avoiding talking about the dream, but although Diogenes does let us write in our own votes, they're still typically to be kept within the theme of the current vote, and it doesn't seem terribly fitting to me, deciding to deal with the current topic by switching to one we decided, immediately previously, wasn't what we wanted to talk about. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you feel Jalitha's warning would be enough to completely dissuade Og/Enkindel from bringing up what was, apparently, foremost in his mind. I don't think it would be.

And as for 'is it really something we want to do, bring up the dream in front of everybody?', well, yes, it is, as it's what we just voted for; nothing's really changed since the character decided it wasn't a concern thirty seconds ago.

This is pretty much how I feel about it, too. It feels like we've been cheated because we picked a path and then our choice essentially got retconned away.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Theglavwen posted:

But, as I say, it's fair enough, 'I' was a strong showing last time, so this vote can be read as deciding not to pursue a topic and instead going with something else we wanted to do. Still, seems sour to me to decide on one course of action, then, in the vote for how to go about doing it, to essentially cancel what we just decided and pick something else from the previous vote. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was the character's choice, and the way things went, so I'll continue in that vein for at least a little while.

I personally don't see how changing our votes in the presence of new information counts as being wishy-washy at all. Jalitha seems pretty serious about this warning, and it's not impossible that she's got some pretty good reasons for it. Keep in mind, too, we're no longer playing as a deranged madgod who can pass off decisions that piss off significant sectors of the population as a joke or wipe away troubles through use of sorcery - Dio has explicitly stated that things rather more serious and dangerous now, and that means that a certain level of caution as well as redundancy isn't at all out of place. If it turns out that admitting descent from the head of a band of cannibals would result in our getting relegated to the slave quarters or something, we're not going to get a chance to say "Actually I was just kidding, he wasn't my dad at all." We didn't know that something along those lines could have been a problem before, but Jalitha is now suggesting that there's more reasons than we know of to keep mum - so why disregard warnings for the sake of being "consistent"?

I also don't feel that the original choice was "wasted" - even if we don't go ahead with the dream, we've discovered that Jalitha REALLY doesn't want us to talk about dad for reasons that seem to go beyond avoiding PTSD episodes. That's a new plot point worth chasing up later when we've got a better opportunity to do so.

As for Enkidel's characterization, my personal take on it is that attempting to define Enkidel's character in advance instead of after the fact is doomed to disappointment in the face of the goon collective. Let's be blunt, you're not going to ever really convince a majority of goons to decide on one single character for Enkidel, and without doing that poor Enkidel's actions are always going to have a touch of schizophrenia to them as people waver, change their minds, and decide to pursue new opportunities, and that's not touching on all the people who have a completely different interpretation of the character to begin with. I mean, if you want to continue trying to work out Enkidel's character and how he'd respond to things naturally, go ahead, but I can't help but think that sooner or later this is going to result in you declaring either that Enkidel is mad or that you have gone mad.

Anyways, voting I - seems like the best way to pass off our talk about dreams without sounding too suspicious.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

H - Just tell him like we wanted to before, if we always flip flop our decisions like this whenever Diogines implies something might be a bad idea we'll never get anywhere.

Tell him about the dream but leave out the part about our dad and uncle; For the main characters just say "there was a Sharkman walking beside me and a Lobsterman in a canoe", I had a spear, Danal and Jalitha and so on.

If we suddenly change what we were saying after our mum whispered at us, it'll look suspicious anyway.

e: it was an H vote I was after, not a G

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 22, 2013

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Voting along with this.

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004
Hey tudiya we just flew into the air and fell to the ground making a small crater in the earth but we were wondering if you could please interpret this dream we had?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

maxhush posted:

H - Just tell him like we wanted to before, if we always flip flop our decisions like this whenever Diogines implies something might be a bad idea we'll never get anywhere.

Tell him about the dream but leave out the part about our dad and uncle; For the main characters just say "there was a Sharkman walking beside me and a Lobsterman in a canoe", I had a spear, Danal and Jalitha and so on.

If we suddenly change what we were saying after our mum whispered at us, it'll look suspicious anyway.

e: it was an H vote I was after, not a G

Yeah I hate it when we flip flop on important decisions like shooting lightning

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

tarepanda posted:

This is pretty much how I feel about it, too. It feels like we've been cheated because we picked a path and then our choice essentially got retconned away.

Your choice was not retconned.

You started to speak, a NPC talked to you and said something, the NPC having said whatever it was they said, you have the option to continue what you were doing, modify it, or do something different.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Yeah I hate it when we flip flop on important decisions like shooting lightning

It's actually more the fact that we suddenly don't want to follow through with a course of action that actually passed a 'we want to do this' vote, simply because Jalitha asked us "Are you sure?". I mean, surely everyone was already aware of the possible consequences, from the other GM warnings, about the king knowing our family connections?

I don't know, maybe I'm just frustrated that as well as polarised voter camps (although that seems to not be as bad anymore), we now seem to have voting on whether or not to go through with things that have already been voted, or something.

In saying all that though, its obviously a Bad idea to mention our parentage, but I still want to ask about the main dream.

I also want to now, when we get back to our tent; Ask mum - "We almost hosed up there, so cut to the chase; what's the deal with Shushem and our village family?"

alpaca diseases fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 22, 2013

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

maxhush posted:

I also want to now, when we get back to our tent; Ask mum - "We almost hosed up there, so cut to the chase; what's the deal with Shushem and our village family?"

Yeah ask her, why doesn't the king want to talk about the village?

Callipygian Weasel
Apr 2, 2010

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

Yeah ask her, why doesn't the king want to talk about the village?

^^ definitely insisting on (later?) asking her why she's so insistent we stay quiet about any and all things involving that place. It's to the point that it's more than just 'shh don't worry about those bad things'.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I'm thinking it's less about the King and more about Mom. It's not like Tudiya knows who our dad was, or if he does, he hasn't cared so far. How does "Person from old village who was shark in dream" translate to "DAD DAD, LOOK IT'S HIS DAD"?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I

Sometimes a dream is just a dream, random voices in our head is bit less normal.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

maxhush posted:

It's actually more the fact that we suddenly don't want to follow through with a course of action that actually passed a 'we want to do this' vote, simply because Jalitha asked us "Are you sure?". I mean, surely everyone was already aware of the possible consequences, from the other GM warnings, about the king knowing our family connections?

I don't know, maybe I'm just frustrated that as well as polarised voter camps (although that seems to not be as bad anymore), we now seem to have voting on whether or not to go through with things that have already been voted, or something.

I dunno I think you need to take a step back and chill. Being stopped, not once but twice by another character, is a significant thing. Look at LBTR. Remember the vote where we decided, yo, gently caress the merchants? Three characters advised against it. We went with another plan and then immediately backpedaled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Callipygian Weasel posted:

^^ definitely insisting on (later?) asking her why she's so insistent we stay quiet about any and all things involving that place. It's to the point that it's more than just 'shh don't worry about those bad things'.

My bet is that she knows something that we're going do/will happen to us and she's hoping that it won't happen if we never hear about it and never do anything related to it. Maybe a prophecy of some sort?

Or it's just a case of "Don't tell the king that he killed your Asherah worshiping stepfather."