Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

geeko55 posted:

Can people post their recommended starting builds? I'm having a hard time getting through even the first night with ample supplies.

This is more or less my default build, and it serves me well enough. I don't take any skills because most of them are pretty easy to train up through practice or book learnin', but some people may not recommend it.

Stats
ST 8
Dex 10
Int: 14
Per: 13

Traits
Positive:

-Fleet Footed
-Quick

Negative:

-Truth Teller
-Ugly (Always take truth teller and ugly because they only effect NPC interactions which makes them free points)
-Weak Stomach
-Mood Swings
-Trigger Happy (basically free points if you don't use automatic weapons)
-Addictive Personality
-Insomniac (You're going to need sleeping pills or Nyquil anyway)

Profession
-Chain Smoker

EDIT: I used to take Glass Jaw instead of Addictive Personality, but I got tired of getting my block knocked off.

EDIT2: I could probably stand to trade in some of my brains for a little brawn, as well. You don't need an INT that high, I just do that out of habit from older versions.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jun 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

In my experience, build doesn't matter as much as fighting smart.

As long as you hit them while they're stuck on windowsills/tires/bushes/etc... slow zombies will never get a chance to hurt you.

My typical build is:

Quick
Robust Genetics
Heavy sleeper
Lightweight
Addictive Personality
Chemical Imbalance
10str
8dex
10int
12per

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I like taking Tough with Glass Jaw. Basically makes most of your body that much tougher but your head is normal, for not a lot of points.

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

Thanks a lot, guys. Also, do you guys pick skills, or just have them all start with no points? This game is alot more complex then I first thought, but I love it.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW
Put one in computers at the very least so you can immediately hack into a mine / sewage facility computer and get free gear with very little effort or trouble.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

I had one pinned between my truck and a tree, and I spent about twenty turns mashing on the gas trying to kill it while it roared in my face. Pretty intense. They're so goddamn tough, hitting one at 50 mph with a flatbed hurts the truck nearly as badly.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Vengarr posted:

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

I had one pinned between my truck and a tree, and I spent about twenty turns mashing on the gas trying to kill it while it roared in my face. Pretty intense. They're so goddamn tough, hitting one at 50 mph with a flatbed hurts the truck nearly as badly.

Well, that's just incredibly badass.

I got a chance to test it and using the (s)mash command on a zombie corpse until it turns into a "Pulped Zombie Corpse" does prevent them from resurrecting. Sledgehammers and Wood Axes are of course superb at this managing to do it in one or two swings.

It sprays blood everywhere when you do it.

I love this god drat game.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
I find that putting a point in mechanics so you can make a crowbar right off the bat helps a lot.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jonny Retro posted:

I got a chance to test it and using the (s)mash command on a zombie corpse until it turns into a "Pulped Zombie Corpse" does prevent them from resurrecting. Sledgehammers and Wood Axes are of course superb at this managing to do it in one or two swings.
Really? That's great. I've been putting a lot of focus into heavy perception/rifle shooting, because the amount of damage a headshot from a .30-06 rifle used to straight-up vapourize zombies, no corpses left. Knowing that "pulped" means pretty much the same thing is very useful.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Do dogs do anything in this game? One followed me back to my shelter and has pretty much just been standing inside for a bit. Should I be concerned about it? Is it going to eat my food or randomly attack me? Can I make it my friend?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Giggle Goose posted:

Do dogs do anything in this game? One followed me back to my shelter and has pretty much just been standing inside for a bit. Should I be concerned about it? Is it going to eat my food or randomly attack me? Can I make it my friend?

It won't attack you. And if you make some dog food using the cooking skill, you can (a)ctivate it, feed it to the dog, and it'll be your friend.

And then it will run directly at a zombie hulk and die and you'll be sad.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Giggle Goose posted:

I've been playing this game a good bit over these last few days and I have to say that for me the most difficult thing is keeping my character fed. I cram so much food down his throat and yet he is perpetually at some level of huger. Finding water or something to drink is easy but man the food thing seems way too punishing. Any tips on keeping my guy satiated?

A light blue } is a refrigerator. They never have the blue background that normally symbolizes multiple items or stuff on a shelf, but it is usually packed with all sorts of food if you (e)xamine it.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
I'm handing over control of GDA to PiCroft for the time being as I've got the SA GameJam to deal with now.

The idea suggestion form will still work for submitting ideas.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'd like to see a Bionic Arm CBM to complement the fusion blaster. Replaces the right arm, greatly increases unarmed melee damage, but you cannot use two-handed tools.

Maybe you could use two-handed guns with it, though, a la Bionic Commando.

Really, I just want to be Spencer, punching robots to death.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately there was a fungal bloom tower thing right near my starting position.

Fortunately there was also a missile silo

Unfortunately (?) there was also a town nearby with several NPCs wandering about :getin:

Survive the zombie holocaust only to get nuked. What are the odds?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/568375735/cataclysm-dark-days-ahead-dedicated-developer

Cataclysm Kickstarter is up, and 0.6 is finished too!

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
Can someone explain to me exactly how the "moves per attack" stat on on weapons work? I know its related to the weapons speed, but is it effected by skill at all? Will a 50 moves per attack weapon be exactly twice as fast as a 100 moves per attack weapon? If this is anywhere on the terrible wiki I must be blind.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I just asked the Cataclysm DDA devs and chat room about why Whales isn't mentioned at all in the kickstarter pitch.

i2amroy posted:

they aren't important to the kickstarter pitch
so they don't need to be mentioned
while he is important
it's a sales pitch

The sentiment was echoed by a few other people in there. I think Roy is just some bystander. According to GryphGlyph, kickstarter ate the section that was supposed to mention the guy.

Also, Whales had to hear about the kickstarter from a third party.

Edit: A hasty mention has just been crowbared in halfway down the page.

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 22, 2013

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Cardiovorax posted:

Really? That's great. I've been putting a lot of focus into heavy perception/rifle shooting, because the amount of damage a headshot from a .30-06 rifle used to straight-up vapourize zombies, no corpses left. Knowing that "pulped" means pretty much the same thing is very useful.

It seems like the amount by which you overkill a creature determines the state of their corpse now, which has interesting implications.

Specifically, it means that a point-blank shotgun blast will annihilate a zombie and scatter their remains across the room, insta-pulping their corpse. Much like in Resident Evil, this is the best way to dispose of all zombies :black101:.

e: Also much like Resident Evil, you can pour a little gasoline on them, light a match, and not have to worry about them anymore. Useful for when you have 40-50 corpses in a small area and don't feel like butchering manually.

Vengarr fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jun 22, 2013

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Not mentioning/informing Whales was kind of a dick move, I don't know if it's worth retracting a pledge over though.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Vengarr posted:

It seems like the amount by which you overkill a creature determines the state of their corpse now, which has interesting implications.

Specifically, it means that a point-blank shotgun blast will annihilate a zombie and scatter their remains across the room, insta-pulping their corpse. Much like in Resident Evil, this is the best way to dispose of all zombies :black101:.

e: Also much like Resident Evil, you can pour a little gasoline on them, light a match, and not have to worry about them anymore. Useful for when you have 40-50 corpses in a small area and don't feel like butchering manually.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure the gasoline thing doesn't work. I killed a bunch of zombies with a molotov and they reanimated several times while in the flames.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Okay, so, things I'm going to be looking into are end-game type things but I'm not entirely sure what those should be. Pretty much all the big suggestions I can think of are things that would take some time to do. I've been having a look through the suggestions document but I don't have permission to edit it so I'll make a new one. Also, if anyone wants to contribute code of their own, feel free to fork the git and make some pull requests and I'll merge them in.

Suggestion form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1xY9Ukti15LFvdN65mODCq_g0c75CxSg41_elYaddB_I/viewform

Galm
Oct 31, 2009
I assume when NPCs and Factions are done, they'll be endgame content.

You could make a machine that brings in every zombie around for miles ala L4D.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Church bells and noisemakers are kinda supposed to already do that, but they don't really seem to work all that well.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Galm posted:

You could make a machine that brings in every zombie around for miles ala L4D.

what, you mean a sawn-off shotgun? :v:

Or for a more serious answer, the churches have a console which when used rings the bell, does a good job of drawing everything in.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
So I am crashing every time I try to craft a knife spear. Playing GDA for reference.

Throwdini
Aug 2, 2006
Can anybody explain why a game from 2013 have loving alphabet graphics?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
Because it's free and art is hard you ingrate :colbert:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Throwdini posted:

Can anybody explain why a game from 2013 have loving alphabet graphics?

It's intended as a way to help children get interested in reading.

"Mom, why do B and C hate @ so much?"

But seriously, have you never played a roguelike before? ASCII graphics are pretty normal fare.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of graphics, I really hope they'll be done with tiles support soon.
Playing with ASCII is possible but it does involve using 'x' a lot, especially considering many things have the same symbol and color (walls and benches for example).

Old Cataclysm version with tiles was the poo poo.

EDIT: On that note, I gave some money to their kickstarter. Hopefully everything goes well for them.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 22, 2013

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I seriously don't even see characters anymore, just what the represent. The only problem with ASCII that isn't present with actual graphics is that you can't stack symbols, so the game always needs to decide the most important symbol to display when multiple objects inhabit the same area. All that said, I don't have the negative reaction to actual graphics that some "true blowdie-hards" seem to have. Tiles/graphics can represent just as much if not more information than ASCII and anyone that claims otherwise has either never played a game that made use of tile composition and color swapping, or is a loving liar.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

IVAN's stupidly difficult but it got how to take advantage of tiles. Liquids go everywhere and you just can't do that without something being visually obscured in ASCII (as mentioned), so while I don't hate ASCII I really love it when roguelikes go tiled. Helps too that good tiles are just more visually pleasing and can convey extra information about the enemies you're facing faster than simple letters (like how in Crawl you can actually see what other dudes are wearing so you know right away how serious a threat they pose in melee).

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

The King of Swag posted:

Tiles/graphics can represent just as much if not more information than ASCII and anyone that claims otherwise has either never played a game that made use of tile composition and color swapping, or is a loving liar.

They easily can, but don't forget someone has to design and create them, which takes up a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to just use ASCII if they're at a point where they need a kickstarter to get some decent momentum into the game.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

whiteshark12 posted:

They easily can, but don't forget someone has to design and create them, which takes up a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to just use ASCII if they're at a point where they need a kickstarter to get some decent momentum into the game.

I'm not arguing that at all and fully believe that there's a lot of stuff more important than designing a tileset; I'm just trying to head-off the inevitable person who pops up and claims that tiles can't possibly convey the level of detail and information that ASCII can. As someone that plays way too many rogue-likes, I can say that is demonstratively false.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm a poor visualizer so I don't do well with ASCII. I can eventually get to the point where I can play an ASCII game but I do much better with even rudimentary tiles.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My biggest problem with ASCII is that it adds an extra layer between seeing the current situation and understanding the current situation.

For example, while it easy to remember basic symbols for road, zombie, wall, etc, I can't possibly remember all the item symbols. So every time I walk into a room that has items in it, I have to bring up the 'x' menu and look at each item.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Everyone complaining about the lack of tile support would be pleased to know that it's half-way into the game already.

Even if this shady Kickstarter falls on it's face I'd expect it to be in the game within a few months.

I'm going to quick compile a version of GDA that uses the shipped 0.6 code in the hopes that it fixes game breaking bugs for you brave souls running it.

After that PiCroft is going to be sole runner of GDA for a while, god speed.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I'm a poor visualizer so I don't do well with ASCII. I can eventually get to the point where I can play an ASCII game but I do much better with even rudimentary tiles.

I have the opposite problem actually. A grid with letters is easy to comprehend, but as long as the tiles aren't something like ToME or Crawl, I still parse them as symbols, only they are much more complex than simple letters, which makes things confusing.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

My biggest problem with ASCII is that it adds an extra layer between seeing the current situation and understanding the current situation.

For example, while it easy to remember basic symbols for road, zombie, wall, etc, I can't possibly remember all the item symbols. So every time I walk into a room that has items in it, I have to bring up the 'x' menu and look at each item.

Hit Shift-v it lists all the items in view and you can scroll down the list to see where they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Hit Shift-v it lists all the items in view and you can scroll down the list to see where they are.

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo this is amazing. Thank your for pointing this out.