Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Do Britons actually write "hullo"?

What sort of survey is that anyway? Does he run around at night in the forest asking animals how they feel?
That does seem kind of dangerous either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
"Actually now that you mention it, Daniel, there is something I need..." :unsmigghh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Renard how could you!

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
"Hullo, Renard! Why are your eyes all glowin' and such? It's a little peculiar if you ask m-Oh, bollocks."

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
When will people learn that when Coyote's teeth lines go from straight to jagged, you need to stop listening to him?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

When will people learn that when Coyote's lips move, you need to stop listening to him?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lottery of Babylon posted:

When will people learn that when Coyote's lips move, you need to stop listening to him?

Pretty much, everyone always goes "Oh Coyote is not so bad, no worse than the court at least" and the only reason that is true is because Coyote is too all over the place to be able to do things on the same scale. Yet.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Will them learn Coyote, stop?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Proving once again that Coyote's a dick.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Air is lava! posted:

Hullo is a slightly more archaic version of hello and yeah, primarily British. These days you'll mostly see hello used. That said, I think hullo kinda fits with the general feel of the comic. I grew up reading all the old British children's books - Famous Five, Swallows and Amazons - and they used hullo and for me, anyway, it's evoking the feeling of those stories.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Air is lava! posted:

Apparently, unless Slidell's been lying about his nationality this whole time.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Air is lava! posted:

We have conclusive evidence today at least one of them does. :v:

Keep in mind that this is the previous generation, when Antimony's mom was a teenager. The dialect is older.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

MikeJF posted:

Hullo is a slightly more archaic version of hello and yeah, primarily British. These days you'll mostly see hello used. That said, I think hullo kinda fits with the general feel of the comic. I grew up reading all the old British children's books - Famous Five, Swallows and Amazons - and they used hullo and for me, anyway, it's evoking the feeling of those stories.
The Railway Series (the books Thomas the Tank Engine was based off) does it a bunch, too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

You really have to be careful about interpreting what Coyote says, huh? "You cannot be sure that will happen" is not the same as "I'm sure that won't happen." :allears:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

Splicer posted:

I think she had a perfectly normal range of human emotions, and then spent 4.54 billion years with no-one to talk to, and is now a bit nuts.
I've been trying to find a way to put this into words and then you went ahead and made this post. :v:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Well now, it's almost as if Coyote wanted the court to take Renard in the first place.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

She's been around as long as humanity (longer actually). It isn't surprising that she had a solid grasp on how people interact. She needs to, just to fake emotions and so forth.

Like this?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Splicer posted:

Indistinguishable to everyone but Jones. Jones knows she is faking it, ergo they are fake. A P-Zombie does not know they are faking it because there is no "they" to "know".

(though as before, I think she has/had emotions and is just severely psychologically damaged)

I would lean towards "Jones can fake having emotions /much/ more convincingly than she currently does."

However, being an immortal, ageless, indestructible being, who is apparently better than humans in every possible way generally gets you classified as "god" or "monster," If instead, you appear to be a flawed creation of an ancient society lost in the mists of time, you're not as dangerous to the human ego and people are less likely to make annoying and inconvenient attempts to worship or destroy you.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

When that started I was expecting Jones Fun Time. Can she have fun?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

maltesh posted:

I would lean towards "Jones can fake having emotions /much/ more convincingly than she currently does."

I dunno, if she could fake better she'd probably be able to smile in a way that didn't give people nightmares.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
loving Coyote, man.

loving Coyote.

The way it works is that he says something that's technically true but provides no real information, then lets people interpret it in the way that makes the world the way they want it to be. Renard wants to steal this guy's body, he just has to convince himself it's okay. Coyote is only nudging him a little. Like all con men, he's expecting the mark to do most of the work of fooling themselves.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Honestly I don't have much sympathy for Renard, that wasn't even a sneaky way of phrasing Coyote practically straight up said "hey, it might not happen this time, you don't know!"

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Coyote could just as well have said "blah blah blah blah Surma blah blah blah blah blah."

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
So many folks were in love with Surma. I guess there's something irresistibly sexy about one of the rawest forms of destructive power.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
^^Do not underestimate mankind's desire to gently caress pretty much everything and anything.

MooCowlian posted:

When that started I was expecting Jones Fun Time. Can she have fun?

The result is essentially the same. So, yes, but at what cost?

Rasselas
Oct 26, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT FUCKIN' TRANNIES HARASSING GLORIOUS UNIMPEACHABLE WEBCOMIC ARTIST TOM SIDDELL WITH THEIR FALSE CLAIMS TO VICTIMHOOD, THE CODDLED FUCKS! STIFF UPPER LIP! I'M A TREMENDOUS JACKASS WHO CAN'T FATHOM ANYTHING OUTSIDE MY BUBBLE! TUMBLRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

RabidWeasel posted:

Honestly I don't have much sympathy for Renard, that wasn't even a sneaky way of phrasing Coyote practically straight up said "hey, it might not happen this time, you don't know!"

Well, Renard had only tried it with animals, never with a human! </Coyote's advocate>

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

The Red Queen posted:

So many folks were in love with Surma. I guess there's something irresistibly sexy about one of the rawest forms of destructive power.

As part of her nature, Surma was very hot.

It had to be said

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Renard looks so adorable as a fox in this one. He looks like he's some kind of cute little kid.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Air is lava! posted:

What sort of survey is that anyway? Does he run around at night in the forest asking animals how they feel?
That does seem kind of dangerous either way.

A short discussion on "hello" and "hullo": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXSw07zrio

suburban virgin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 24, 2013

Leonard Hatred
Dec 27, 2004
It's like a great big tide of jam. But jam made out of... old women.
I love how this page is all one panel. Much style! Hoo-ah!

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh Coyote, you prankster :smith:

Remember that not only is he convincing Renard to kill a dude here, he pretty much HAD to know Surma didn't actually love him (he is the god of trickery, he KNOWS a ruse when he sees one -I think he even admitted this?-) so he's doubly a dick. A godly level 100 super dick if you will. I love how he goes from silly to sinister so swiftly, without even breaking character. Coyote, you bastard.

However. We all know Renard isn't blameless here. He knows Coyote, he pretty much ignored common sense because he was blided by love. Still, poor Renard.

Tom this wasn't a fun stop, at all :qq:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I also wonder what Coyote means by "will you let her get away". What happened between the time when Surma is all flyin' up in the air and Renard professes his love to her?

Also... how the hell did Renard go from this guy (who I assume is Daniel R. Schiff), to Sivo, the Rogat Orjak buddy of Jimmy Jims'? According to this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=55 Renard had been in Sivo's body for "more than 5 years". Annie is like 11 years old, right? So that means this would have happened when she was like 6 or something, right?

I wonder if Renard taking over Sivo's body had anything to do with Surma dying. Somehow I don't think it's likely, because on this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=45 Renard doesn't seem to be aware that Surma is dead.

Ugh so many questions, I love this webcomic. Maybe we will find out what Renard does in this guy's body on Wednesday.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

You really have to be careful about interpreting what Coyote says, huh? "You cannot be sure that will happen" is not the same as "I'm sure that won't happen." :allears:

Jones was correct in that Coyote not being a liar is what's so dangerous about the things he says. Coyote seems to thrive on technicalities.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I also wonder what Coyote means by "will you let her get away". What happened between the time when Surma is all flyin' up in the air and Renard professes his love to her?

Coyote also told Annie when she ran away to the forest that he already knew about the Court's plan to trick Renard, so if he did indeed know this would happen, then he instigated it, but to what end?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
:siren: ANNIE IN THE FOREST PART ONE IS NOW ON SALE :siren:

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Rasamune posted:

:siren: ANNIE IN THE FOREST PART ONE IS NOW ON SALE :siren:

Already bought it. :hf::smug:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I guess Jones doesn't count lies by omission, because "you cannot be sure that will happen" is 100% true minus the fact he didn't add "but I am 100% sure it will!"

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Also... how the hell did Renard go from this guy (who I assume is Daniel R. Schiff), to Sivo, the Rogat Orjak buddy of Jimmy Jims'? According to this page: http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=55 Renard had been in Sivo's body for "more than 5 years". Annie is like 11 years old, right? So that means this would have happened when she was like 6 or something, right?

Bear in mind that we don't know how long Renard was in this Schiff fellow...it could have been two days or ten years. And do we know for sure that he went straight from Schiff to Svo?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Penguissimo posted:

Bear in mind that we don't know how long Renard was in this Schiff fellow...it could have been two days or ten years. And do we know for sure that he went straight from Schiff to Svo?

Yeah that's what I'm hoping we're going to learn relatively soon.

Or maybe Hetty will be all "OMG RENARD CMON STOP DAYDREAMING GAWRSH" and will ruin it forever.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

DontMockMySmock posted:

When will people learn that when Coyote's teeth lines go from straight to jagged, you need to stop listening to him?

When will people learn not to listen to trickster gods. They're always the biggest assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Well, let's see. Each protector of the court seems to be paired up with one of the Rogat Orjak, for reasons we don't yet know. They operate as a team to protect the court. (We see this when Thorn is fighting the dogwood monsters and it's implied that it was true of Young as well.) So if Renard has taken over this boy's body, and he's discovered, the Eglamore/Sivo team is what's going to be dispatched to handle him.

At this point, they probably don't know exactly how his power works. Either immediately during the fight or after a period of imprisonment, Renard swaps bodies to Sivo out of desperation and a desire to escape, at which point Mr. Schiff here keels over dead. They manage to dump Possessed Sivo in a hole somewhere, possibly after knocking him out, and then Anja and Donald figure out how to block his powers with the computer. Anja tattoos Eglamore and Donald so they can keep Renard imprisoned, and then they start trying to figure out a way to extract Renard from Sivo without killing him.