Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
For all we know the dude talking is the world's oldest and most dignified butler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It's going to be overacted to hell and everyone's probably going to speak in faux-British accents.

No way, its going to be a very traditional, down to earth and realistic dub that in order to sound more otherwordly is to be dubbed entirely by kidnapped Jarawa people whose first contact with the outside world will be the recording booth.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mr. Maltose posted:

For all we know the dude talking is the world's oldest and most dignified butler.
I'm sure in the trailer it's pretty obvious it's meant to be his dad

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

PSX Tactics remains the pinnacle of the series' character and costume design, IMO.

Counterpoint:

Buttpants.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Ivalice is sort of like a parallel earth that's identical in every way except assless chaps are the height of fashion for some reason.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Assless chaps are the mark of a protagonist.

Quick, find out who in FFXII has assless chaps. They're the true main character.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

It's going to be overacted to hell and everyone's probably going to speak in faux-British accents.

Ah yeah, pretty solid chance of that being the case.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ImpAtom posted:

They could go the Xenoblade route and get actual genuine British people to provide their faux-British accents.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

So FFXII, then?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ImpAtom posted:

All roles will be played by Liam O'Brien, each with their own stereotypical British-regional accent.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Woah, woah, let's not make this the best game ever here, slow down a little.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It would be the best game ever if all roles were voiced by Liam O'Brien, Jamieson Price, and Norio Wakamoto with a Japanese to English dictionary.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

So FFXII, then?

I presume the audio quality will be better.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

I presume the audio quality will be better.

You have to have the annoying-as-gently caress, tinny, washed out effect so that everyone will love your localization for some reason. It's the most important part.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its just how Ivalice sounds, ok? Due to the magic in the air sound travels differently as though it were stuck inside a soup can attached to a string. Ugh, read the art book.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Paperhouse posted:

Looks fine to me. Think I'm right in saying Noct is a prince and his dad is the king so it makes sense for him to speak in an old-fashioned and proper way

No man I can't handle it if all the characters in my fantasy videogames don't talk to each other like the people at 7-11

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

If FFXV has a localization half as good as FFXII then it'll be great.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Azure_Horizon posted:

You have to have the annoying-as-gently caress, tinny, washed out effect so that everyone will love your localization for some reason. It's the most important part.

Prob because the localization and the audio quality are two different things?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If there's not one character saying "thou" every other word, I will refuse to buy it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Its just how Ivalice sounds, ok? Due to the magic in the air sound travels differently as though it were stuck inside a soup can attached to a string. Ugh, read the art book.

Well I can believe it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

All roles will be played by Liam O'Brien, each with their own stereotypical British-regional accent.

Liam's been doing voices for years but he does one role in a non-main title FF and people start fangasming ove him all the time. I don't get it.

Endorph posted:

It would be the best game ever if all roles were voiced by Liam O'Brien, Jamieson Price, and Norio Wakamoto with a Japanese to English dictionary.

I like Mr. O'Brien but I'd rather have all voices done by Michael Bell. Hell, bring Simon Templeman back and give him a proper role. Also get Richard Doyle and Paul Lukather. With almost the entire cast of Legacy of Kain, it would be the best dubbed FF by a mile.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Liam's been doing voices for years but he does one role in a non-main title FF and people start fangasming ove him all the time. I don't get it.
Personally, I started my fangasming when he was Dist the Rose.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ingway :allears:

Liam O'Brian is basically the best, and even if he doesn't voice everyone I hope he voices someone in XV.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

He's also Kain in FF4DS and Dissidia. :colbert:

Besides, he's done excellent voicework in other games. We're not limited to only liking FF stuff you know.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
O'Brian is fantastic in Nier!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Mega64 posted:

If there's not one character saying "thou" every other word, I will refuse to buy it.

I only play games where people do that "unh", "ahh", "hrn", "uguu" thing constantly as a means of providing conversational feedback unfortunately. I'm gender-neutral with regard to "thou".

Renoistic posted:

O'Brian is fantastic in Nier!

They should just give those guys, Team Drakengard Nier, all of the money and developer resources normally allotted to Final Fantasy to live their dreams with this franchise. That isn't ironic, it's a thing I truly believe.

Baku fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 25, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In order to make up for the fact that the cast is heavily masculine all the voice actors will be women and the personality traits for the men will each be harem anime stereotypes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought Caius Ballad was a bit overacted and had a bit of British in his voice, I don't know if that counts as fangasming. It was rather quintessentially FF though.

Now, Laura Bailey I would fangasm over.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Paracelsus posted:

Geordie Liam O'Brien is not fit for this world

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Spermando posted:

It's more like "King Sky of the Light of the King".

They really loving love the genitive case apparently. Although they got Cor Leonis to be Heart of a Lion/Lion's heart right I guess.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Terper posted:

He's also Kain in FF4DS and Dissidia. :colbert:

Besides, he's done excellent voicework in other games. We're not limited to only liking FF stuff you know.

Fair enough. I honestly forgot about Kain. The only FFIVDS voice I know is Yuri Lowenthal as Cecil.

Paracelsus posted:

I thought Caius Ballad was a bit overacted and had a bit of British in his voice, I don't know if that counts as fangasming. It was rather quintessentially FF though.

Now, Laura Bailey I would fangasm over.

WHat a coincidence! We were just talking about Star Ocean: The Last Hope the other day and you get to hear her twice in that game alone.

...hehehe... Een I would never try to defend Welch.

That's not Bailey's fault of course but I am kinda sick of her. Well her sultry women voice for Lust and Cloud of Darkness is nice but she shouldn't voice kids or younger characters. I really can't stand her then.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I like to think most people are remembering his role as Grimoire Weiss from Nier, which was excellent.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

NikkolasKing posted:

WHat a coincidence! We were just talking about Star Ocean: The Last Hope the other day and you get to hear her twice in that game alone.

...hehehe... Een I would never try to defend Welch.

That's not Bailey's fault of course but I am kinda sick of her. Well her sultry women voice for Lust and Cloud of Darkness is nice but she shouldn't voice kids or younger characters. I really can't stand her then.
She's really good at sounding like an actual person and not someone reading from a script for a community theater production the way most VAs do. When she first showed up in Persona 4 my jaw just about dropped. She wasn't as good for the in-battle stuff, but when she was on her game she was amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

She's a pretty cool VA no doubt. It's just that, as a fan of anime, I hear her an awful lot. That is kind of true for many dub VAs but some voice actors and actresses wear on your nerves faster than others.

She was pretty good as Lust in Fullmetal Alchemist. Brotherhood was kinda weaker for having so little Bailey Lust because canon Lust was a bland piece of fanservice and nothing more. I guess Father just wasn't very horny so the creature embodying his lust got almost no power or personality.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats weird, I remember that being a poorly pixelated rat that jumped around screaming Taco. Who did the localization for the SA region?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hope SE keeps doing their thing with having a varied cast for the major characters and then anime VAs for some of the lesser characters.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It would be perfectly acceptable if they would just get John DiMaggio for every dude and Grey DeLisle for every gal.

Or just have one of them be the voice of everyone. Either could pull it off.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I hope SE keeps doing their thing with having a varied cast for the major characters and then anime VAs for some of the lesser characters.

Given that the odds are very low that they'll hire Team LOK to dub the game, I approve of this. Maybe not all the choices turned out well but at least SE is trying to diversify the dub field instead of just having Yuri Lowenthal, Johnny Yong Bosch, Crispin Freeman and Steven Blum dub all the main characters. As much as I like most of those guys, Square's tendency to give lesser known talent a chance to shine has paid off with positively perfect performances like Gabranth and Dr. Cid. Hell, Auron and Lulu wee pretty great too and I don't know who the hell they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Sorry if any of these questions are dumb or can be answered if I just keep playing, but in 12 IZJS, I've gotten enough licenses to where mist knacks are available for purchase. However, when I select one, it warns me that I can only pick 3 per character. After looking stuff up, I'm even more confused. Does this system work any differently from the regular game (which I haven't played, but most guides about it seem to be written with it in mind)? Also, how can you get to the squares lying off/diagonal the boards?
I'm kind of hoping I can just breeze through this game without doing too much crazy hard side story stuff, because while I'm digging the characters and setting so far, I'm not particularly sure I like how action-y it is.