Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
http://www.safercar.gov/parents/RightSeat.htm

quote:

Keep your child rear-facing as long as possible. It’s the best way to keep him or her safe. Your child should remain in a rear-facing car seat until he or she reaches the top height or weight limit allowed by your car seat’s manufacturer. Once your child outgrows the rear-facing car seat, your child is ready to travel in a forward-facing car seat with a harness.

My son is 2.5 and still rear-facing. The weight limit for rear-facing in his seat is 40lbs, and he's currently at 28lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

Twatty Seahag posted:

We flipped at 2 because she figured out how to unclip part of the harness and it was easier to intervene.

This. I bought a super-jumbo car seat (Recaro Pro-Ride) specifically because it would let me rear-face drat near forever. And then she started unclipping herself. I just need to be able to keep a better watch on her.

This is one of those debates, like cry-it-out, that people have really strong opinions on. I think we all want to keep our kids safe, but every parent has to balance safety with real life. I disagree with switching over for convenience rather than safety, but to someone here my reasons will sound like convenience over safety, so....

Keep 'em rear-facing as long as it's safe and workable.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
yeah, for sure, rear-facing for as long as possible was definitely the plan. I'd say that my biggest "problem" is really that I don't know the correlation of weight and age (like Chickalicious' son being 2.5 years old and 28 pounds) so it is hard for me to build a frame of reference! My girls were born super prematurely, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting almost 3 years out of our rear facing seats.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
It also depends on your car - beyond the infant car seat, my car simply could not fit a rear-facing seat (this was a sports coupe), unless it was pretty much upside down. My kid went over the weight limit on his bucket seat at about 6 months (and you can't do forward facing before a year here, if memory serves), so there were a few months where if we were planning a car outing, I had to take him in his dad's car. Even when he was a year, I had to spend a good chunk of time with the installer at the car store to find a seat that fit and installed properly in my car. The manufacturer's website did have a list of seats that would fit in the car, but most of them were American, so it wasn't all that helpful.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
My son will be 4 in August and he's still rearfacing. He's 37 pounds, which is about the 60th percentile for his age. He's currently in the Graco My Ride 65 which rearfaces to 40 pounds, but we're planning to get a Diono RadianRXT when we can for the extra 5 pounds of rearfacing (and the fact that it also converts to a booster seat!)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

yeah, for sure, rear-facing for as long as possible was definitely the plan. I'd say that my biggest "problem" is really that I don't know the correlation of weight and age (like Chickalicious' son being 2.5 years old and 28 pounds) so it is hard for me to build a frame of reference! My girls were born super prematurely, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting almost 3 years out of our rear facing seats.

My son was also premature. He was in his infant bucket seat for a year, then I switched him to a convertible car seat, rear facing. He made it until 3 years old rearfacing before I had to switch it around because he had hip surgery and was in a spica cast and couldn't fit in the seat rearfacing. He'll be 6 next week, he's currently 43-1/2" tall (although for car seat purposes, you're concerned with their sitting height, not their standing height) and weighs 40lbs - that puts him at about 20-25th percentile for age for height and weight. Frankly, I'm pretty sure he could have made it to 5 rearfacing in his seat - he's just now hitting the weight limit, but I think his sitting height would have aged him out of it sooner. He was front facing on the school bus at 2, because that's when he started busing to special ed. preschool and they can only install carseats front-facing on schoolbuses.

Edit: wait no, it was definitely longer than a year in the bucket, because we flew back east when he was 13 months old and he was still in that carseat. Maybe closer to 15 or 18 months?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We rearfaced until 2.5 when my daughter started unbuckling the chest clip.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Thanks for the feedback on starting disipline. Parental behaviour modifications are now underway.

Another question: Alex keeps waking up at night with a windy tummy and bottom, rubbing his tummy helps but he is sometimes difficult to resettle, gas relief medicine doesn't seem to help him though.
We are in the process of changing from formula to cow's milk so a reaction to that is a posibility, no sign of diorhea, vomiting or any other sign of lactose intolerence. He always has a massive dump first thing in the morning either straight after or during his morning bottle and seems a lot happier afterwards.

Is there anything we could give him to either keep his tummy more settled or to get the poo out of him safely before bedtime to see if that would make a difference?

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Were you feeding a special formula--like soy or something? Because regular formulas are cow's milk based and contain lactose already. So if you were giving him a regular formula, he's been drinking lactose this whole time. ;)

That being said, babies seem to get A Thing when the phase of the moon changes, or when it's Tuesday, or when you don't sing the proper lullaby, or click your heels three times after putting them to bed. :j: It could be his changing diet in general, or just his gut maturing and changing on it's own. If baby gas drops don't help, you can try pushing (gently!) his knees up to his chest/tummy to encourage him to pass gas. If he's a morning pooper, I don't really know you you'd go about changing when he poops.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Coffee gets me going, but I don't think that would be a good thing to give to a kid before bed.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010
Don't they get too tall? Like aren't their legs all bunched up?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

SassySally posted:

Don't they get too tall? Like aren't their legs all bunched up?

It's totally safe for kids' legs to be crossed or dangling over the sides of the seat, or folded when rearfacing. It's much safer than being front-facing.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/120133/Proof_That_Older_Taller_Kids

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
Were you feeding a special formula--like soy or something? Because regular formulas are cow's milk based and contain lactose already. So if you were giving him a regular formula, he's been drinking lactose this whole time. ;)

That being said, babies seem to get A Thing when the phase of the moon changes, or when it's Tuesday, or when you don't sing the proper lullaby, or click your heels three times after putting them to bed. :j: It could be his changing diet in general, or just his gut maturing and changing on it's own. If baby gas drops don't help, you can try pushing (gently!) his knees up to his chest/tummy to encourage him to pass gas. If he's a morning pooper, I don't really know you you'd go about changing when he poops.

I'm a typical man when it comes to baby stuff(tm). I have no idea what is/isn't in his formula except that it's sorta whitey coloured... Having checked just now it appears that you are right and his formula does include lactose.

Yeah, we had noticed that the alignment of the planets/phase of the moon/stock exchange results seem to affect how Alex sleeps. We had a couple of nights of sleeping through in a row just before a week away where he was in a different bed and was hell bent on keeping us up most of the night.

The thought of trying to gently help him fill his nappy in the evening was based purely on the idea that sometimes we have a gas that is solved eventually by a visit to the toilet. I was just thinking that maybe a bit of prune juice or something might help things happen a bit sooner and give him some relief.

I think we'll give coffee a miss though.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Prunes can definitely get things going. Just, uh, be careful with the amount. I've overdone the prunes sometimes and the results have not been pretty.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Sam gets enough juice that it no longer really works for that; we'd have to give her a mega quantity. We give her (oh my god so little don't come down on me here) Sprite. It takes about a medicine cup's worth, maybe two. The sugar just overloads her system and out everything goes.

That's also how we got her on a straw cup, and then a tumbler, FWIW. You want the good stuff? Then you learn to drink like a big kid. One time was all it took.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

rectal cushion posted:

Prunes can definitely get things going. Just, uh, be careful with the amount. I've overdone the prunes sometimes and the results have not been pretty.

Yeah I gave my kid one of these pouches of prunes:
http://www.amazon.com/Plum-Organics-Prunes-3-5-Ounce-Pouches/dp/B005LTHR7O
which is only 3.5 ozs, so I didn't think it would be a big deal. He pooped so much that I think that poop time-traveled from the future into his diaper, because he pooped more than he had eaten that day. And he pooped like 8 times in 24 hours.

Do not underestimate the power of prunes.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007

ChloroformSeduction posted:

It also depends on your car - beyond the infant car seat, my car simply could not fit a rear-facing seat (this was a sports coupe), unless it was pretty much upside down. My kid went over the weight limit on his bucket seat at about 6 months (and you can't do forward facing before a year here, if memory serves), so there were a few months where if we were planning a car outing, I had to take him in his dad's car. Even when he was a year, I had to spend a good chunk of time with the installer at the car store to find a seat that fit and installed properly in my car. The manufacturer's website did have a list of seats that would fit in the car, but most of them were American, so it wasn't all that helpful.

Yeah, we have only one car which is on the small side and even though we bought one of those compact convertible seats, we've just flipped him round to face forwards because it was getting too hard to get him in and our of the thing now that he is older and bigger and more fighty. He was over the weight that the seat specifications said he can forward face at which was 8kg (17-18lbs) and what our current car seat regulations state. We always had to finesse him around the anchor strap which was fine and dandy when he was small and floppy, but with him now being less manoeuvrable we almost had to hit him on the roof of the car to put him in the seat - in fact it happened quite often. And on the car door frame. We really couldn't keep him that way for much longer else he wouldn't fit between the strap and the roof.

The ISOFIX system was officially approved for use in Australia a couple of weeks ago, woo.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
So my 2 1/2 year old son is now officially too active for his crib. He can climb in and out with ease, and he already has a toddler bed in his room that we haven't tried to move him to yet. Well, tonight's the night. Anyone have any advice about moving from a crib to a toddler bed? There is a gate on his door, so he can't get out in the middle of the night, and we plan to just put him back in the bed over and over and over again until he gets it. Are there any other tricks out there for this situation?

And for a future transition, we will eventually be putting his sister in the room with him. Anyone here have a toddler and an infant in the same room? Is it a disaster waiting to happen? When we put her in there, she'll be about 1 and he'll be 3.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

VorpalBunny posted:

So my 2 1/2 year old son is now officially too active for his crib. He can climb in and out with ease, and he already has a toddler bed in his room that we haven't tried to move him to yet. Well, tonight's the night. Anyone have any advice about moving from a crib to a toddler bed? There is a gate on his door, so he can't get out in the middle of the night, and we plan to just put him back in the bed over and over and over again until he gets it. Are there any other tricks out there for this situation?

And for a future transition, we will eventually be putting his sister in the room with him. Anyone here have a toddler and an infant in the same room? Is it a disaster waiting to happen? When we put her in there, she'll be about 1 and he'll be 3.

I switched my daughter about four weeks ago and she immediately took to having her own big bed. She's slept better in it since the first night we put her in it. I think she inherited my wife's family's weird sleep habits because she loves flipping and rolling all over and the extra space is great for that. She's started telling me she's sleepy which she's never done before. So maybe you'll get lucky too! We all get a couple, I think.

SavoyMarionette
May 23, 2007
I speak only the truth.
My 1 year old and 3 year old share a room. It works out pretty well. If one of them wakes up in the night the other generally sleeps through it without issues. Sometimes the baby wakes up if his sister wakes up from a bad dream or needs to use the bathroom, but he gets his soother and his seahorse turned on and he falls back asleep. The only tricky thing was keeping the 3 year old from being too loud when she goes to bed, but one of us will sit with her until she falls asleep (somewhere around 15 minutes) and that generally solves the problem.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
For a while, our daughter had a difficult time pooping. We ended up getting prunes and feeding her that every day or two (depending on the contents of her diapers), and that sped things along nicely. We also tended to mix it with oatmeal to get some grains in there, and "pudding" (as we called it) ended up being one of her favorite foods.

Now that she's having a BM pretty much every day or two on her own, we've stopped doing it as much, but it totally worked for us.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

Thats about the same age as Connor was when we changed him from cot in our bedroom to sleeping in a bed in a different room and he took to it fine, but it coincided with him giving up his daytime nap (unless he is really really tired) so I think that helped too - he was too sleepy to muck about. On days where he does have a nap there's definitely more getting up and wanting just one more story.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Does anyone have suggestions for redirecting a 16 month old who's taken to smacking us in the face when we hold him? We've tried putting him down, because it usually happens after he's asked to be picked up, and I've tried redirecting it to giving high fives, since that's a lot better behavior, but the original smacking is not going away.

Edit: Fixed his age

shadysight fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 29, 2013

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Swaddle? Did you mistype by saying 1 month old?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hdip posted:

Swaddle? Did you mistype by saying 1 month old?

Yeah, I think ShadySight's son is 16 months.

As for advice, you're doing the right thing. Put him down, every time he does it. Redirect him. Be consistent, it'll take some time but eventually he'll stop.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 29, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

shadysight posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for redirecting a 1 month old who's taken to smacking us in the face when we hold him? We've tried putting him down, because it usually happens after he's asked to be picked up, and I've tried redirecting it to giving high fives, since that's a lot better behavior, but the original smacking is not going away.

We say "no hitting" or "that hurts" and put him down on the floor or stop playing for a little while. My son is a sensitive flower, and this has always made him stop for a little while. He still hits from time to time, it's inevitable I think (he's almost 3 now). If he hits out of anger I tell him he can hit the sofa cushions. If it's for no reason, I just remove myself or him. I've done it many many many times. The behavior will go away eventually, but not for a good while yet. It's just something that has to go away on its own, because the amount of control a baby/toddler has over that behavior can be pretty limited.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
:sigh: We'll just keep working on it then. I'm guessing it's not unusual as a parent to hope there's some magic bullet that you've missed.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Have any of you ever just blown up at your four-year old? Because I did and I feel awful about it. But, some poo poo just needed to be said. Still, I feel like a horrible parent. :smith:

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Oxford Comma posted:

Have any of you ever just blown up at your four-year old? Because I did and I feel awful about it. But, some poo poo just needed to be said. Still, I feel like a horrible parent. :smith:

Read this and realize you're not alone and you're not a horrible parent. Kids have an inate ability to press the right buttons.
http://deadspin.com/never-give-your-kid-a-cold-shower-advice-from-the-wors-512686828

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Dear Prudence posted:

Read this and realize you're not alone and you're not a horrible parent. Kids have an inate ability to press the right buttons.
http://deadspin.com/never-give-your-kid-a-cold-shower-advice-from-the-wors-512686828

Man, that comments section is brutal!

We all lose it with our kids. We all have crap mornings/afternoons/evenings/days/etc. No one is proud of it. I try to walk away or otherwise (safely) separate from my kids if I feel myself losing my temper, which is hard because I have a short fuse. I've only blown up at my oldest kid twice, but I always felt shame after and I always found a way to talk to my kid after I calmed down and did my best to "fix" the situation.

Yeah, it sucks. Nobody's perfect. Don't make a habit of it, just learn from it and move on.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Dear Prudence posted:

Deadspin is the best parenting site on the Internet. ;)

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
God, I have a reputation of nothing making me angry, and the kid is the only person I've lost it with in memory, and he's 16 months old.

It did help when I realized that I was really angry with my wife in over half the situations since she'd done something like taking the car with the kid's car seat again, or being gone much longer than she said she would. I couldn't say anything to her, since she was also not picking up her phone, but I might have another person conveniently right here and screaming at me.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Not so much a parenting question as a question for parents. I have a big bottle of baby oil that I bought when I was pregnant, and have used exactly once (when my baby had cradle cap). Any other home uses for baby oil and/or baby powder (which I also used just a handful of times)? For baby or otherwise. I hate to have it go to waste.

lady flash
Dec 26, 2007
keeper of the speed force

frenchnewwave posted:

Not so much a parenting question as a question for parents. I have a big bottle of baby oil that I bought when I was pregnant, and have used exactly once (when my baby had cradle cap). Any other home uses for baby oil and/or baby powder (which I also used just a handful of times)? For baby or otherwise. I hate to have it go to waste.

We use cloth wipes at home and a spray bottle with 1Tbsn oil, 1 Tbsn soap and 1 cup water.
I've got nothing on the baby powder.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
You can use it to make cloud dough/moon sand: http://happyhooligans.ca/2012/05/22/cloud-dough/

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If your baby powder is just corn starch you can use it to thicken gravies.

If its talcum powder I guess you could deodorize a cat's litter box with it?

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
We use baby powder whenever we go to the beach or anyplace sandy. Rubbing baby powder on any skin that has sand stuck to it will make the sand come right off. As for baby oil I used mine to oil my garden tools. :haw:

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Oxford Comma posted:

I think the important thing is showing your kid what happens after mom or dad lose their cool: a calm conversation, apologizing for any screaming or namecalling, and going over ways that are ok to express anger (plus covering what their behavior was to start ;) ).

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

Dear Prudence posted:

That column was the best. I can picture every single moment, and put myself right in his desperate, pissed off shoes.

Oxford Comma, we have all been there. Tim is five and has the ability to reduce me to the dad from Deadspin. With the exact same horrible, (normal, he's five), infuriating, (normal, he's five), attitude and (normal, he's five) behavior his little girl showed. (See, I tell myself it's normal, he's five, over and over and overandoverandover like a goddamned mantra to diffuse the rage.) I have totally lost my poo poo, for all the same reasons and with all the same pathos. (It reaches the point where I've completely lost control when I drag him into his room, and slam the door behind me.) It's not often, and I feel like poo poo afterwards. I'm the adult here for chrissake! We then talk and I apologize for being so angry and not using my words properly, and usually throw in a little "let's try harder to listen to Mommy when I use my nice voice."

Kids live moment to moment, and I try to as well. Just because I had a horrible Mommy moment, it does not define my entire parenthood. (Also a personal mantra.) I move forward, and so do they. It's all we can do. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

frenchnewwave posted:

I make my own baby wipes using Bounty paper towels although you don't need mineral oil to do that, any type of oil will do. It's cheaper than buying wipes and they're actually really nice wipes. Something in regular baby wipes makes my mother's hands all red and rashy but these don't bother her so she always requests I bring some when she's watching the grandbaby.

Baby powder feels nice if you sprinkle a little between your sheets.