Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

The kittens have discovered what John is good for: climbing!

Seconds later...

I was just watching that. Everyone is beating me to the good screen caps now. :D drat work!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ispoketoosoon
Aug 31, 2004

"I have other plans tonight"

Jack still rocks.
The Mythbusters kittens have moved into the big room now. They've been running around like crazy for a bit now. It's adorable.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

ispoketoosoon posted:

The Mythbusters kittens have moved into the big room now. They've been running around like crazy for a bit now. It's adorable.

I always thought that was the same area from a different angle. Maybe widened?

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Met posted:

I always thought that was the same area from a different angle. Maybe widened?

It is the same room, the fences are pulled back more and the cam is focused on a different wall and it's farther back now so you can see more area. The blanket on the floor is queen-sized, so that gives you an idea of the dimensions.

There is still some area outside the fence off-camera containing more toys, the kennel, litter, supplies, etc. but it's all the same room.

ispoketoosoon
Aug 31, 2004

"I have other plans tonight"

Jack still rocks.
Yeah, it is the same room. Foster Dad John always just refers to letting them out in the big room. The feed reset earlier today showed him taking things out, cleaning it, and setting it up again.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

We're at that fun point now where Kari is starting to turn into a big kitten herself :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBgnWA1p9Uo

Oh god that sequence from 3:16 onwards with Grant

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 26, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Der Shovel posted:

We're at that fun point now where Kari is starting to turn into a big kitten herself :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBgnWA1p9Uo

Oh god that sequence from 3:16 onwards with Grant

That last jump on Grant. Hee hee!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I also like that John annotated the video to explain that no, Kari does not suddenly hate her kittens and isn't trying to kill them. Which some people legitimately though when she was playing with them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kari's always seemed like a very playful cat that's always wanted someone to mess around but hasn't had room/the kittens have been too small/her maternal instincts have been calming her down. There's been a couple of times before where she's tackled them a bit too hard and had to back off, but it looks like things are finally open enough and the kittens big enough for her to have fun.

I hope she gets adopted into a house with another cat that's equally energetic and playful, it seems like that'd be the best situation.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Not kittens, puffins! This might be addictive... :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Someone needs to gif that crazy jump onto Grant at 3:20.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Grants "oh poo poo" look just before is perfect. He knows.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

How old is Kari? I would assume she's barely more than a kitten herself, just from looking at her/her behavior.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

How old is Kari? I would assume she's barely more than a kitten herself, just from looking at her/her behavior.

I think most of the foster mamas are less than a year old. It seems like they get pregnant as soon as they are able to, because either they are strays, or people don't want to spay them but let them roam anyway, so the inevitable happens. One of the good things about these fosters is that they all get neutered before they go up for adoption. No more teenage moms.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Pheeets posted:

I think most of the foster mamas are less than a year old. It seems like they get pregnant as soon as they are able to, because either they are strays, or people don't want to spay them but let them roam anyway, so the inevitable happens. One of the good things about these fosters is that they all get neutered before they go up for adoption. No more teenage moms.

That's what I assumed.

I just came back from several months in a foreign country with a huge feral cat problem, and I saw lots of pregnant queens who were clearly not done growing themselves.

It's too bad no one seems to want to help them over there. I mean, look at this face:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Metanaut posted:

Grants "oh poo poo" look just before is perfect. He knows.

Addie in the background, practicing the new moves.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012
I adopted a former baby mama about a year old. She's the best kitty :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I am watching today's weigh-in. John is blowing at the kittens and they are losing their absolute poo poo at it. They've never encountered the idea of wind before and keep trying to find and attack the invisible force brushing against them.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 29, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I am watching today's weigh-in. John is blowing at the kittens and they are losing their absolute poo poo at it. They've never encountered the idea of wind before and keep trying to find and attack the invisible force brushing against them.

You mean this one? :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSi-MKfSWjk

New kitten cam from Vancouver:The First Kittypocalypse

It isn't live most of the time, and the cam is kinda crap, but the kittens are very cute.

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 29, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, looks like Tory was the first one to get out of the compound. 12:04 on the DVR. Everyone seems surprised that it wasn't any of the other three first.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
I'm fostering 7 kittens about 1-2 weeks behind the Mythbusters kittens and their mom and I am seriously jealous of all of John's cat furniture. I can't find anything like it at any local pet stores or Petco so we are making do with various cardboard boxes, an S-curve scratcher, a small scratching post and lots of little toys.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I think he has mentioned Amazon often when talking about that stuff. Or you could ask on his Facebook page or PM him (https://www.facebook.com/TheCritterRoom), I'm sure he will answer.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm fostering 7 kittens about 1-2 weeks behind the Mythbusters kittens and their mom and I am seriously jealous of all of John's cat furniture. I can't find anything like it at any local pet stores or Petco so we are making do with various cardboard boxes, an S-curve scratcher, a small scratching post and lots of little toys.

Armarkat makes very reasonably priced cat trees. You can find them on their own website and on Amazon.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Bad Mitten posted:

Armarkat makes very reasonably priced cat trees. You can find them on their own website and on Amazon.

Armarkat is great, but be warned that their stuff doesn't disassemble well. Our tree was essentially ruined when we moved due to splitting and wear on screw sites.

That said, cardboard boxes and S-curves are truly sufficient so don't spend more than you can with a houseful of kittens. As long as there are things to climb, high spots to sleep on, and stuff to safely scratch -- well, what else do you need?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

With the number of posts about buying a big fancy cat tree and the cats are only interested in the box, you're probably fine with just the box. :3:

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
New kitten cam online! Looks like a good set up and a decent camera. Roman Foster Kittens. I haven't seen the kittens yet though. :D

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

When did Grant's ears get so massive? He looks like a coyote!

EDIT: today's stream, around 10 hours 10 minutes, Kari comes in to play with the kittens. She's going absolutely batshit again :kimchi: Right now, if you want to watch it live. I'm just recording the timestap for posterity and GIFs.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 4, 2013

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003
Grant in the birdcage and playing with mom's tail at the same time was way too cute.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Kittens up for adoption 20th July, not accepting applications yet. Mama cat has a parasite.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Amanda's kittens are all adopted out except for Jarvert, the black one. :(

Shame about the parasite with the Mystery kittens, but Kari can handle it. :D

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

SpannerX posted:

Shame about the parasite with the Mystery kittens, but Kari can handle it. :D

The Myth Busters kittens actually tested negative for parasites (coccicdia to be exact), but Kari (the mama) tested positive, so they are all being treated, which is normal practice. The kittens sure hate the medicine though! (It tastes really bad)

The upside is that they all get to stay with John an extra week, because they can't be neutered until they all test negative. So as Szmitten said, it looks like we willl still be able to enjoy them until the 20th.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Kitten cam viewers are actually writing fan fiction about the kittens now. John has posted three "letters" from various cats on the Critter Room Facebook page. I am scared.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

Namirsolo posted:

Kitten cam viewers are actually writing fan fiction about the kittens now. John has posted three "letters" from various cats on the Critter Room Facebook page. I am scared.
Uh...

:stare:

I love to watch the antics of kittens myself, but that is genuinely frightening.

Edit: V V V :smithicide:

landcollector fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 8, 2013

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

landcollector posted:

Uh...

:stare:

I love to watch the antics of kittens myself, but that is genuinely frightening.

You haven't read them yet :catstare:

quote:

Kari's letter home (by INCREDIBLY NERDY CATPERSON'S NAME REDACTED):

Dear Mum

Sorry it’s been so long, but…well…I’m afraid things didn’t turn out quite the way I planned. Yes, yes…I know you warned me that they all only wanted one thing, but the ginger guy was so charming, and I’m a self-confessed sucker for an exotic oriental and the gentle tabby brought me the corpse of a rat with the head still on. How many guys would be that generous, huh? Anyway, long story short, suddenly there was no room at the inn and I found myself shoved in a box and delivered – with no ceremony at all – to what I can only assume was some kind of maternity hospital. Didn’t even have time to pack my blankie or mousie. I miss mousie. After that, we (it was WE by that time) were dispatched like luggage AGAIN, this time to a big, scary cage thing with a big, scary hoomin. I’ll tell you more about the hoomin later.

Anyway…I hope you’re not too mad with me, because you’d just adore the kids. Four of them, all cute as buttons. Mum..my backside isn’t that big, is it? I know you’d tell me if it was. I only ask because, well, every time I went to sit down inside this cage thing, one of the babies had managed to wriggle its way under my butt. I swear I never saw them move but, lo and behold, without fail it was “squeak squeak!” another squished kitten. So embarrassing! It’s a good job nobody was watching.

So – the hoomin. I think it’s a he. It’s hard to tell without getting a good look at…you know. So I’ll say “he” for the sake of argument. He’s ENORMOUS, but he has soft hands and a nice, gentle purr. He gives good rubs and scritches and furfles my ears and I trust him with the babies. They like to climb him, although he’s a bit slippery and they have to grip on tight. He smells like the streets and good food and cats. I wish he came to see us more often, but I feel we are safe here. There’s a smaller one too. He seems to have an obsession with digging up the poop we have just buried and collecting it. They are a strange species.

You’ll be glad to know that I waited until the proper time to perform the ritual. I sat in the window and sang to the full moon and she told me that the kittens’ names were Mordoc, Slayer of Voles; Kayleb, He Who Dances With Shadows; Elinora, Lighter Than The Air and Shara, With Eyes Like The Summer. Much as I like the hoomin, he seems incapable of memorising their names, no matter how many times I correct him. He just grunts strange noises at them. Sometimes, I don’t think he’s very bright. Elinora lived up to her name the other day and jumped all the way up to the window. I was proud of her. She fell off shortly afterwards, but it was a good first try.

Hey, one thing though. The other day, it was getting real warm and we were all feeling snoozy and lazy when this cacophany started up in the corner of the room. It was making a noise like Uncle Feyodah, He Who Poops In Closets used to do when that big tortoiseshell from next-door-but-one came in and stole his kibble. I tried to calm the kittens down by singing to them, but Kayleb is a bit “sensitive”, if you know what I mean, and I just seemed to be making matters worse. So now, when the noise starts up, I just sing to myself instead and remember Uncle Feyodah and all the family. I think I might be accidentally summoning a spirit from beyond The Bridge, though, because whenever I sing, the room gets colder. It’s very odd.

The kids are growing like weeds now. Elinora and Mordoc look a lot like our side of the family. Shara and Kayleb look more like their dads, but it can’t be helped. I love them anyway. It’ll soon be time for them to become independent, which will be sad in a way, but I cannot wait for them to step out into the world and fulfil their destinies. I’ve talked to the girls in the hope that they won’t fall into the same trap as I did, but you know girls (of course you do ha ha) they never listen to their mothers. Mordoc is healthy and floofy just like us and – well, sensitive kittens can make their way in the world too, so I’m not worried about Kayleb. He will be a heartbreaker. My girls, too. They’re bold and beautiful and will rule their kingdoms with wisdom, grace and only minimal use of claws and teeth.

As for me, I don’t know what will become of me. I miss my bed and my mousie and I would love to have a proper home again with a hoomin to worship me and a lap to lay on. It may be that those days are over forever, in which case I must find a new path. I’m beginning to wonder if I might have magical powers, because…and I can’t really explain this…I am absolutely certain that I am being watched. I know they are there. I can feel them. I hope they like what they see.

Will write again soon. Keep safe and warm

Your loving daughter,

Zathira, With Eyes Like the Sun and Moon

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Pheeets posted:

I think most of the foster mamas are less than a year old. It seems like they get pregnant as soon as they are able to, because either they are strays, or people don't want to spay them but let them roam anyway, so the inevitable happens.

That is the case. Most of the foster kittens my partner and I deal with come from young mothers - VERY few have come from older mums.

quote:

One of the good things about these fosters is that they all get neutered before they go up for adoption. No more teenage moms.

14 foster kittens, every single one neutered. It's basically rule 101 of fostering. We havent tried a full family yet, our present permanent residents wont like it - they get pissed enough when another kitten or two turns up. But I am setting up our basement area for a future family foster so we'll see. Our eldest cat was a stray mum with five of her own and two orphans she allowed.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It took a while but the kittens finally learned how to escape and have been going over the fence like crazy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man, I was just watching the cut-down video where they all figured out how to escape in the course of an hour on that youtube channel that posts all the recaps. Grant's reactions to Tory and Jamie escaping and his own repeated failed attempts is hilarious. Poor kitten is just really jealous and frustrated.

Addie was really oddly freaked out after Jamie's escape. Went full fluffed-up-crab a few times and hid, and she hissed at the fence getting bumped. Hell, I'm pretty sure in the end she just went over because she was afraid of being by herself.

But looks like since then it's been constant over-the-fence. At one point Chris dumped all four in and they were all over the fence two minutes later. They seem to go as a group, too - one goes, all go, unlike the other litters that were pretty random about going over.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jul 11, 2013

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Cassie has some new kittens:
the Farm Kittens Unfortunately, they have a virus that makes it hard for them to eat (sores in the mouth) and one had one on her eye that has blinded her already. :(

They seem to be quite large already, so these are captured feral kittens. Not sure about the mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Looks like one of the kittens got to the laptop that controls everything, based on the address entered in the URL

:laugh:

• Locked thread