Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

PiCroft posted:

Thats for the DDA build, the GDA build is here: https://github.com/JonTerp/Cataclysm-DDA

Also, no offense to Jon but I'm thinking of putting the Furry Body mutations back in. It was a useful mutation and I disagree with its removal because furries (if that were the case we'd have to remove all mutations). Is this okay with people (Jon included)?

In addition, if you have suggestions and bug reports, please use Jon's form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19yPWYabJaKwv-FIGv5YSE4tcYZVRKMkjbI8dzA7yu68/viewform

And you can see the responses here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AncNp4c6stYIdExxRzRpODVzSlF1c05xWUxIdmZnMkE#gid=0

Please ignore mine, its better if we keep the suggestions in one place.

Go for it. It was pretty kneejerk stuff, and a bit of extra warmth could be handy in the winter.

+8 dodge on tails was pretty goddamn ridiculous though, and should stay nerfed.

Edit: PiCroft's post mirrored on the new page. I can't find the new version on that page, though. Also, the list needs a bit of updating with respect to the new main DDA version. Are there any parts you need help on for future releases?

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
Does anyone know what effect inconspicuous has in static spawn? It used to relate to spawn timers or something, but that's hardly relevant now unless it has some other effect

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It doesn't really seem to do anything. The only effect it has still influences only the spawn timers, so getting it in static is pretty much a waste of a point.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Anticheese posted:

Go for it. It was pretty kneejerk stuff, and a bit of extra warmth could be handy in the winter.

+8 dodge on tails was pretty goddamn ridiculous though, and should stay nerfed.

Edit: PiCroft's post mirrored on the new page. I can't find the new version on that page, though. Also, the list needs a bit of updating with respect to the new main DDA version. Are there any parts you need help on for future releases?

I need to integrate the latest progress from DDA into GDA. I'm still new to github so I don't know how easy it is to pull in things without overwriting GDA stuff but that's where I'm going to concentrate.

If you want to tackle a bugfix or suggestion on the list, feel free. I can modify the list so if someone fixes or implements something on the list I can mark it down as in progress or done or whatever. I can merge pull requests so if anyone uses github I can merge in stuff easily from there.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It would probably be easiest to turn GDA into something that you can just patch into the existing DDA codebase using something like quilt, instead of trying to actually maintain a parallel repository. A set of patch files where you just have to change the line numbers when something changes would be much, much less effort to deal with than to manually hack GDA changes into the base classes over and over.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

fuckdamn but git is such a faff. I've spent hours trying to figure out how to merge it correctly. I think I nearly have it but now drat this could have been solved so much easier if the mergetools weren't so goddamn finicky.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent
So a flask of mutagen on GDA-0.35 seems to have given me a purifier proof Bad Back, is this a bug or intended? Is there some way for me to cheat it off?

Edit: It seems using the debug menu to re apply Bad Back gets rid of it.

Riolith fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 25, 2013

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Honestly, why is GDA being maintained as a completely separate repository, when except for the removal of a ton of mutations, all the changes are things that would have been welcomed in the main DDA trunk?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just sent a pull request to GDA! Hope I did everything right...

I found the structure for adding books to the game so easy that I just went crazy. There's a magazine for every skill, manuals for most, and a few extra textbooks.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Riolith posted:

So a flask of mutagen on GDA-0.35 seems to have given me a purifier proof Bad Back, is this a bug or intended? Is there some way for me to cheat it off?

At least in that version, and maybe still in DDA generally, traits granted via mutation that are also available at character gen are completely purifier-proof.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I just sent a pull request to GDA! Hope I did everything right...

I found the structure for adding books to the game so easy that I just went crazy. There's a magazine for every skill, manuals for most, and a few extra textbooks.

Merged!

I think I managed to successfully merge the DDA master with the GDA fork, so if you want to work with the GDA source, you *should* be able to checkout now and you'll get the fully merged version.

Its now 1am here so I don't have the time or energy to fully verify it so if anyone wants to check it to make sure things are a-ok I'd be grateful. I just did a build and it seems to be okay but git is very freaky when it comes to syncing branches and poo poo.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Are people still interested in the succession LP? The thread Mister Bates started seems pretty dead. If there's still enough people willing we could try to reboot it.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

dyzzy posted:

Are people still interested in the succession LP? The thread Mister Bates started seems pretty dead. If there's still enough people willing we could try to reboot it.

I'm pretty sure people would be interested, but at this point we need a) a completely new thread and b) some ground rules about updating schedules.

Personally, I'd suggest a full year with 5-7 day seasons and two weeks on a single character.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Definitely needs a new thread and more momentum.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The King of Swag posted:

Honestly, why is GDA being maintained as a completely separate repository, when except for the removal of a ton of mutations, all the changes are things that would have been welcomed in the main DDA trunk?

Is DDA open? It might be that they would perhaps not welcome some of the changes. Even moreso if they consider themselves a "modding" community.

As far as the map generation goes, having written something similar before, it's not really that bad. If you're not planning your game to be some huge thing it makes sense to get a rudiemntary version going first and worry about cleaning it up later. The way it is done right now it might be conceivably to split it up into individual functions dealing with generating regions, roads etc. fairly easily.

For that matter I might look into doing some unfucking of the code on my own. I don't have much to do over the summer and I like the game quite a bit. Which repo should I use/start out with?

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!

Private Speech posted:

Is DDA open? It might be that they would perhaps not welcome some of the changes. Even moreso if they consider themselves a "modding" community.

As far as the map generation goes, having written something similar before, it's not really that bad. If you're not planning your game to be some huge thing it makes sense to get a rudiemntary version going first and worry about cleaning it up later. The way it is done right now it might be conceivably to split it up into individual functions dealing with generating regions, roads etc. fairly easily.

For that matter I might look into doing some unfucking of the code on my own. I don't have much to do over the summer and I like the game quite a bit. Which repo should I use/start out with?

DDA is very open. I just stumbled into the repo and made some pull requests as an unknown nobody, and they were pulled on the hour. I recommend you commit straight to the main repo which is here: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA.git.

The guys who maintain DDA seem pretty reasonable, I'm sure we can get along fine without maintaining our own fork indefinitely. Why not just merge the forks and consolidate our efforts?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm open to the idea, but since GDA was made to emphasize certain balance tweaks and design choices that may get undone/rejected by the main branch, my understanding was that it was to maintain those. If the DDA team is actively accepting the tweaks and suggestions people here are asking for, it may be the right choice to work off the DDA.

My contributions regarding the plastic/kevlar/fur stuff were built on my fork of the DDA and I simply made pull requests to DDA and GDA so v:shobon:v

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

I was asked by the DDA team earlier today what tweaks might they want to pull in from GDA. As much as I've shat on them for the kinda skeezy kickstarter and adding far more bugs than fixing them, it does look like they're more than happy to reach out here. To their credit, they were pretty darn good at reasonably evaluating the tweaks I presented, and I know that at the very least shelter kits got their volume dropped as a result.

In a community filled with casual homophobia, members pining for the lost rapey days of HellMOO (ARGH GOONS), and gun nuts, I can only imagine that some more reasonable goon voices can do the game some good.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
The changelog for version 0.5 lists:
"Only rust skill if X turns have passed since practice, not every x turns."

Does anyone know what X is here? I'm playing 0.6 and skills appear to start rusting immediately

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Riolith posted:

It's not a bug, but it's still stupid. Mutations and traits run off the same basic system, but traits are permanent while mutations can be removed with purifier. This was supposed to make it so that you can't get yourself a bunch of free points by taking bad traits and then curing yourself with purifier. The stupid thing is that a bunch of mutations have good or bad traits as their requirement, so you can get bad traits through a mutagen and then never, ever get rid of them again. I managed to hack that out of the game code after a lot of trial and error, but it's no real solution.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I've nothing against them, they've been doing awesome things and making a game I quite enjoy. I think it was just a kneejerk reaction from some people about the wolfsuit and furry tail being godmode thing.

I think goons are amongst the least tolerant communities of homophobia(especially the gun nuts,) but people are quick to get up hostile about any real or perceived fetish injection into things they enjoy. (See: Ponies. First it is wolfsuits, next, it is the main fork becoming Equestria, Dark Days Ahead, or at least that is what people see. Given the track record for furries and bronies, it is not completely unreasonable.)

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Aagh, Jabberwocks are such bullshit. Why make bears less murderous and then introduce an enemy that'll tear you apart the instant you step into a forest? Or outside my shelter, in this case.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I find molotovs work great on Jabberwocks, though you might still get roughed up before it can burn to death.

My character just got into a military bunker that had 3 empty vaults and 3 vaults of food :smith:

edit: Has anyone run into a hazardous waste sarcophagus in the latest DDA build?

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 26, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

dyzzy posted:

edit: Has anyone run into a hazardous waste sarcophagus in the latest DDA build?
Yep, they're still there.

[edit] Has anyone managed to get that little sound gauge that's been included in 0.6 to actually do something? It just constantly says "Sound: 0" for me, no matter what I do or how much noise I'm actually making.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 26, 2013

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

How do I make plastic chunks? Is it a crafting recipe or do I need to chop something up like making rags?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Activate scissors/knife, use on plastic item. Still trying to figure out how to use them to repair something in 0.6 though.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Daktar posted:

How do I make plastic chunks? Is it a crafting recipe or do I need to chop something up like making rags?

(a)ctivate a knife, select a plastic object. size of the object determines how much you get. Plastic bottles give 1 chunk for example.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Cardiovorax posted:

Yep, they're still there.

[edit] Has anyone managed to get that little sound gauge that's been included in 0.6 to actually do something? It just constantly says "Sound: 0" for me, no matter what I do or how much noise I'm actually making.

Mine jumps up pretty good when I'm firing a weapon. I can't remember if it changes for anything else, though.

Daktar posted:

Yeah, you chop up things like military rucksacks, or any clothing that isn't cloth or leather really.

EDIT:

Nevets posted:

Activate scissors/knife, use on plastic item. Still trying to figure out how to use them to repair something in 0.6 though.

Use a soldering iron

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Nevets posted:

For plastic, kevlar and metal, you need to use soldering iron instead of a sewing kit. Chitin cannot be fixed at all, AFAIK.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Daktar posted:

Aagh, Jabberwocks are such bullshit. Why make bears less murderous and then introduce an enemy that'll tear you apart the instant you step into a forest? Or outside my shelter, in this case.

There's one hanging around my shelter too. I ran it through a minefield, shot it with two LAW rockets and it's apparently still only "lightly injured". I can't run because it screams and paralyzes me, and it's killed three or four of my guys. gently caress those things, seriously.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

Ah, hold on, are plastic chunks in GDA 0.35? I use my scissors on plastic bottles and I don't get anything, and if I try to use my soldering iron I just get a message about not needing to cauterize my wounds.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Oh yeah I forgot about the move to soldering irons. :doh:

BTW I totally boned GDA trying to merge with DDA. I think trying to independently maintain both repos is going to be a major pain in the balls.

I'm rolling it back and will give it one more go but if this doesn't work I think I'll have to leave it at that - trying to merge it thus far has been an ballache and I can't imagine trying it again each time an update to DDA comes out.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Daktar posted:

Ah, hold on, are plastic chunks in GDA 0.35? I use my scissors on plastic bottles and I don't get anything, and if I try to use my soldering iron I just get a message about not needing to cauterize my wounds.

Yes they are, but for some reason you still need to use the sewing kit to repair plastic items in GDA 0.35. As far as getting the plastic chunks, have you tried using a knife? So far I have repaired a pair of safety glasses, but have been unable to reinforce anything. Even with 21 plastic chunks I kept getting "you don't have enough plastic chunks to do that." I have also been unable to reinforce anything made of fur, which is a shame since Winter Is Coming and I would like to use a fur trench-coat.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Okay, think I un-hosed it and its merged properly now. Goddamn it git :negative:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Would it be possible to compile the GDA .40? I like the new DDA but without a army start it doesn't really work.

Oh, and count me in on the LP. If/when anyone does the OP and posts it, please link it here as well. :)

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Here's GDA 0.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/GoonDDA4.0.zip

Let me know if there's any issues.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

The title at the top of the window still says version 0.3 :v:

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

Anticheese posted:

The title at the top of the window still says version 0.3 :v:

:negative: Will fix shortly

e: here's the fixed version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1409531/Goon%20DDA%200.4.zip

PiCroft fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jun 27, 2013

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

So what's new in 0.4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

It's merged with the newest DDA so it has the adjustments of GDA coupled with the new stuff in DDA.

I've been run off my feet at my day job so I've not had a great deal of time to devote to GDA so far. Ill start looking at new features and bugfixes (like being unable to reinforce plastic/Kevlar/fur and reinstating certain mutations) tonight.