Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
How many buttons do you have to remember for Flaming Cliffs? I really like the idea of somewhat simplified jet fighting but I'm scared of having to remember tons of button presses without interactive tutorials to practice.

Not everyone agrees, but I really prefer clickable cockpits because then I can just remember the functions I want to carry out, not the key presses, and then just look for it in my cockpit for 20 minutes while I fly in a circle.

Maybe I should just man up and print out my control bindings and just use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Not a ton. Several radar modes, weapons switching, waypoint stuff, next target, etc. Pretty basic.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Thanks guys, I'm cruising ebay for a sub $400 WH now... I'll bide my time as I'm in no rush, but there isn't a better stick coming out on the horizon right? This is THE BEST one out there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

XtraSmiley posted:

Thanks guys, I'm cruising ebay for a sub $400 WH now... I'll bide my time as I'm in no rush, but there isn't a better stick coming out on the horizon right? This is THE BEST one out there.

With the Warthog, better is relative. You could beat someone to death with it while launching sick rear end AGM-65k attack runs.

Fry's had it for 399 as of last week.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Another thing about the Cougar and Warthog are the sticks are theoretically modular (they unscrew at the base). Thrustmaster has the ability to release different sticks for different jets if they felt like it.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Out of curiosity, how accurate is DCS Huey's flight model? I'm not bad in full sim mode FSX and XPlane but holy crap is DCS kicking my rear end.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

JayKay posted:

Out of curiosity, how accurate is DCS Huey's flight model? I'm not bad in full sim mode FSX and XPlane but holy crap is DCS kicking my rear end.

Do you have a TrackIR v5 or similar? That's what made the difference for me.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Also, it appears that pedals are nigh mandatory for the huey so do you have those?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Speaking of DCS Huey, is there a way to reverse the throttle axis in the game? I'm trying to use my X52 throttle as the collective, but it's "backwards".

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard

Colonial Air Force posted:

Speaking of DCS Huey, is there a way to reverse the throttle axis in the game? I'm trying to use my X52 throttle as the collective, but it's "backwards".

Yes, go to the axis settings for that device (in the in-game options menu) and invert the axis.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Mitt Romney posted:

Do you have a TrackIR v5 or similar? That's what made the difference for me.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Also, it appears that pedals are nigh mandatory for the huey so do you have those?

Yes on both counts, maybe I just suck :(

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Jiblet posted:

Yes, go to the axis settings for that device (in the in-game options menu) and invert the axis.

But that would do it for everything, right, not just the Huey?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It's module specific just as long as the Huey tab is selected for controls.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

holocaust bloopers posted:

It's module specific just as long as the Huey tab is selected for controls.

Cool, now maybe I can suck just slightly less!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I also strongly urge you to fiddle with your control curves, particularly for your cyclic. A real helicopter cyclic is extremely long, with generally very light control forces, meaning that you end up with a large range of motion, and the ability to make extremely fine control inputs. This ability is often lost with PC sim hardware, because of their fixed-wing-centric nature, and the combination of small ranges of motion, and heavy centering forces you end up with.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I'm encoding a video of how to fly the Huey right now! It started out as a quickstart video, and then became a rambling instruction video 30 minutes long explaining a a whole bunch of stuff.

Yes, you need pedals, but don't put curves on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaXYVdMZNr8

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 28, 2013

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone have any suggsetions for curves on a CH Fighterstick and Pro Throttle?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
In general you want a lot of fine control on the cyclic. If you need to do major control movements compensate with force trim.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Has anyone noticed increased loading times with today's DCS World update? I'm also having stuttering issues once loaded for about 10 seconds before it smooths out.

SocketSeven posted:

In general you want a lot of fine control on the cyclic. If you need to do major control movements compensate with force trim.

Thanks, adjusting the curves has helped a bunch.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a way to download the DCS World patches manually? It's downloading at 10kb/s and that's loving insane. ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS PLAY WITH MY NEW TOYS TONIGHT!

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 was 50% off on GOG today and I just got it. I'm a true rookie to the genre (I've only played a bit of FSX at a friend's house), so is there anything I should know before playing? What kind of hardware (joysticks etc.) is recommended?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a way to download the DCS World patches manually? It's downloading at 10kb/s and that's loving insane. ALL I WANTED TO DO WAS PLAY WITH MY NEW TOYS TONIGHT!

It's easier to torrent the full version. You can't install individual patches anymore as the program has an auto-updater.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Temaukel posted:

IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 was 50% off on GOG today and I just got it. I'm a true rookie to the genre (I've only played a bit of FSX at a friend's house), so is there anything I should know before playing? What kind of hardware (joysticks etc.) is recommended?

1. A joystick with a twist axis should be enough to get you started.
2. Flying Finnish Buffalos against 1940 Russian planes is hugely fun.

TheNotsosuperHero
Oct 28, 2004

My powers include using shampoo and wearing pants
:siren: Kickstarter for the DCS:F-35A is up:

Link

TheNotsosuperHero fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 28, 2013

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

TheNotsosuperHero posted:

Link

I would support one for a B-52 and B-1. B-1 more so.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

With the map sizes we have I'm not sure strategic bombers would be too appropriate?

Need FSX and VATSIM integration so you can take off in your B-52 in Missouri and be bored for ~20 hours.

edit: I guess MO would be B-2s?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

Need FSX and VATSIM integration so you can take off in your B-52 in Missouri and be bored for ~20 hours.

Then get 2 seconds inside the DCS map, launch your cruise missiles, and turn around.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm doing the SU-25T instant action ground attack over and over again trying to get a handle for everything and some missions it seems like the calibration of the stick will drift. Sometimes I have to push full forward OR full right on the stick just to keep level. I go back to the control panel and everything seems OK with calibration.

What is going on? Am I screwing something up in the sim or is it my joystick? I have a MS Force Feedback Sidewinder 2.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

hobbesmaster posted:

With the map sizes we have I'm not sure strategic bombers would be too appropriate?

edit: I guess MO would be B-2s?

I thought one of the primary purposes of the B-1B was to allow for low altitude radar penetration while at super sonic speeds? Missions on the DCS map would work ok in those scenarios.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mitt Romney posted:

I thought one of the primary purposes of the B-1B was to allow for low altitude radar penetration while at super sonic speeds? Missions on the DCS map would work ok in those scenarios.

That's the B-1A, the B design was modified to be subsonic at low altitude, and only barely supersonic at altitude (like M1.25 at 40k or something).

e: 50k, not 40k, which is kinda cheating, because a slow walk is practically supersonic at that altitude

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

TheNotsosuperHero posted:

Link

Grover, paging Grover. Can't wait for lasers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'd much rather see DCS F-14 so someone do that.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I could finally fulfill my Topgun cosplay!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It would be even better if it were a straight up mid-80's era flight simulator. No shoe horning the Tomcat in modern day conflicts.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Only if the DCS F-14 desktop has highway to the danger zone.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Gonna sim some beach volleyball with some other naked sweaty dudes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Gonna sim some beach volleyball with some other naked sweaty dudes.

It should be like Longbow 2 with the semi static menu of a base but in the corner there's a volleyball court party happening.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Edit: Wrong thread

Content: I'm amazed at how much headtracking does for the experience. So much fun now.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jun 29, 2013

SkopeDog
Sep 6, 2011

We use Wagner! My boys love it!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I seem to do just fine with the twist axis on my X-52Pro. I'd still be better off with pedals and I could do with more adjustment, but I can operate the Huey fine.

Still, transitioning back into a Ka-50 makes you feel totally bad rear end given how easy it flies by comparison.

SkopeDog fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Jun 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzahn
Jul 3, 2007

Did you just say awesome?
Oh don't mind me, just fuelin' up