Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe, but if being sucked in actually transports you to that world on the other side all it means is that Xycon gets to keep his phylactery (albeit possibly unknowingly) when everyone is blasted through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
How did you read Roy's plan of, "I'mma break it" and come up with that rambling plan that (A) doesn't involve Roy breaking the gate, and (B) somehow hinges on not letting Redcloak word of recall back to a different city where he's no threat to anyone? ecause if there's a spell I want a near-epic cleric to cast, it's the one that gets rid of him.

Also there's no way Xykon would let that band of martial chumps take yet another gate away from him.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
They get sucked into the rift, which it turns out is a portal to a digital world, where they then meet and train digital monsters that can digivolve into champions.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah they were, they were trying to figure the gates out when they were throwing those prisoners into it. Course if Xycon were really patient, since he has all the time in the world. he aught to have just sent for a legendary spell caster to make a new gate at one of the three destroyed ones, that way he doesn't have to battle for it. Or whatever it was that the OotSc did to build theirs. I guess he wasn't patient enough or thinks waiting in Azure City is too risky or just thinks that it would be easier to blast through a pyramid of hippies than to come up with the gold for that magic.

Epic spellcasters are a bit harder to come by than you think. Plus, any epic spellcaster who A: Could seal a rift, and B: would work with a Lich, would probably end up making a power grab and cause problems. Sorta " I could tell you about rifts and the plan, but then I'd have to kill you."
Plus, Per haley's comment of " I don't think there ARE even any level 19 clerics in the world!" and the Imps comment of " You know how few wizards make it past 10th level?" Just because the world is set on D&D terms, and D&D has high level/epic adventures, it doesn't mean those types are plentiful, or even exist at all!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Mystic Mongol posted:

How did you read Roy's plan of, "I'mma break it" and come up with that rambling plan that (A) doesn't involve Roy breaking the gate, and (B) somehow hinges on not letting Redcloak word of recall back to a different city where he's no threat to anyone? ecause if there's a spell I want a near-epic cleric to cast, it's the one that gets rid of him.

Also there's no way Xykon would let that band of martial chumps take yet another gate away from him.

I'm assuming someone else can break the gate besides Roy. The operative idea is that he takes out both Xykon and Redcloak in a gate suicide bomb.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just got the comic title. :doh: They are hiding from them in-

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Glory of Arioch posted:

This is actually a pretty good plan by Roy. Suicidal, but good. Here's what he has to do: The Order waits for Xykon to appear. Roy sits on Redcloak, using his new feat to keep Redcloak from casting Word of Recall, while telling Xykon what he intends to do. Xykon hears Roy, and figures, hey, my phylactery is on the Astral Plane, so if you blow up this gate and destroy my body, big deal, I'll regenerate in my fortress and just hoof it to the last gate on my own. This train of thought will keep Xykon from being personally invested in actually saving the gate, so it should be a simple task for the rest of the Order to destroy it. Plus, since the phylactery is actually on Redcloak's person instead of on the Astral Plane, it will most likely be destroyed along with everyone else at the gate, which discharges the blood oath and protects the world from Xykon. All in all, a very decent plan for Roy to think of. It will be interesting to see what breaks down and where.

Roy doesn't know about Redcloak's swap gambit though. I don't think he's going to wait that long to wreck the gate.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

I'm assuming someone else can break the gate besides Roy. The operative idea is that he takes out both Xykon and Redcloak in a gate suicide bomb.

Yeah, if this gate gets destroyed, it ain't gonna be by Roy.

Poor Belkar.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I'm really curious about the next Order strip. I can't see Rich actually writing the whole cringeworthy Armageddon scene where they have a fight about who gets to go out in a noble blaze of self-sacrifice, but I also can't see Roy's declaration eliciting any other reaction, at the very least from Elan (and Belkar and V are also in a pretty martyrous mood).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Naramyth posted:

Roy doesn't know about Redcloak's swap gambit though. I don't think he's going to wait that long to wreck the gate.

He doesn't have to. Last time the phylactery was seen (by V and O'chul), it was on Redcloak's person. They don't necessarily know that Xykon came up with a plan to hide it in the first place.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

I just got the comic title. :doh: They are hiding from them in-

Also the pillar was actually the Gate, the gate was hiding in plain sight as well.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

NihilCredo posted:

I'm really curious about the next Order strip. I can't see Rich actually writing the whole cringeworthy Armageddon scene where they have a fight about who gets to go out in a noble blaze of self-sacrifice, but I also can't see Roy's declaration eliciting any other reaction, at the very least from Elan (and Belkar and V are also in a pretty martyrous mood).

Roy never said anything about self sacrifice, though, he simply said he isn't going to bother with trying to defend the gate and instead will actively try to destroy it (instead of accidentally doing it, like all the times before).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

e X posted:

Roy never said anything about self sacrifice, though, he simply said he isn't going to bother with trying to defend the gate and instead will actively try to destroy it (instead of accidentally doing it, like all the times before).
The way he just held up his sword communicates an intent to outright melee it out. But if Roy has an idea that will let them blow up the gate from a safe distance, without access to magic, I'd be curious to see that as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah they were, they were trying to figure the gates out when they were throwing those prisoners into it. Course if Xycon were really patient, since he has all the time in the world. he aught to have just sent for a legendary spell caster to make a new gate at one of the three destroyed ones, that way he doesn't have to battle for it. Or whatever it was that the OotSc did to build theirs. I guess he wasn't patient enough or thinks waiting in Azure City is too risky or just thinks that it would be easier to blast through a pyramid of hippies than to come up with the gold for that magic.

Wasn't that just a threat to O'Chul? It alway puzzled me how the prisoners were going to thrown in, anyway... It was far enough away you'd think it would need some kind of prisoner trebuchet.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Could have had a cleric cast a variation on grasping hand, I gess.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
There were goblins up there, clearly they were going to just use the peasant railgun method. :v:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Anyone else realised that the Oracle said that Durkon would be going back to his homeland in a coffin, but not that he'd actually be dead. How likely is it that he is sent back by Tarquin to spread some havoc?

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me

Josef bugman posted:

Anyone else realised that the Oracle said that Durkon would be going back to his homeland in a coffin, but not that he'd actually be dead. How likely is it that he is sent back by Tarquin to spread some havoc?

I don't think the Oracle said he'd be returning in a coffin, but posthumously. In this case it'll have about the same effect: he's going back vamped up, and he's going to bring death and destruction with him.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Posthumously. Not in a coffin.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

He's posthumous now. He's undead as we speak. He can go home at any moment.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Well there is probably a gate up there to attend to...

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I wonder if Roy has realized that yet.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm pretty sure that Roy and the rest of the Order are too focused on Girard's Gate to take a time out and go over all the implications of what's happened so far. I have no doubt that after Girard's Gate is resolved (how ever that happens) and the Order regroups all these pieces will start to click into place with alarming alacrity.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yep, I would say that the Order is just about rightly hosed.

I do have to wonder just how Durkon will be once Malack releases him. I would like to think he wouldn't be over the top evil, but more of a resigned, low key evil. Maybe could even join back up with the Order in a " We got a literal end of the world situation here. Let's finish this, we'll split ways and you can try to find me, and destroy me, if you can." Like durk will work with them, and doesn't like what he has become, but at the same time isn't going to stand there and let Roy stake him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Actually I can see exactly that happening, unless becoming a vampire in Rich's world automatically turns you evil. But if it's regular old Durkon he'd be more than happy to go to his ancestors rather than unlive as an abomination, and have his best friend make sure of it to boot. He could probably be persuaded to use his considerable powers to finish the job first but afterwards...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually I can see exactly that happening, unless becoming a vampire in Rich's world automatically turns you evil. But if it's regular old Durkon he'd be more than happy to go to his ancestors rather than unlive as an abomination, and have his best friend make sure of it to boot. He could probably be persuaded to use his considerable powers to finish the job first but afterwards...

By definition being undead makes you register as Evil to a Detect Evil spell, since you're animated via negative energy. Why this doesn't also ,mean living things register as good, since they are animated via positive energy, is anyone's guess. So it wouldn't be Rich's doing that Durokon is evil. But whether or not his original personality is intact and will rebel against his new self is another matter entirely.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Really, I don't see it AS Durkon. Sure, his soul is trapped inside that shell, but it's more like chained, or jailed. It's more of a meat pouch that has all of Durkon's memories, and the perceptions that drove his personality, but now animated with negative energy. Things get a little weird when you have actual souls and afterlifes. It's Durkon...but it's not. It's ...Durkon's memories are like firmware, his body being the hardware, and instead of his soul driving, you got another force.

Malack has the memories of when he was alive, but as he said, that person is long dead, even though that is him...but it's not. Durkon may feel the same way. He'll feel compelled to finish this quest(or else he is dead), but he might not see reason in letting Roy take him out. I could see Durkon ,still having that connection between them, being like Malack when Roy tracks Durkon down. That is " I don't want to fight you, you are my friend. Is there no other way but one of us to die?"

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 27, 2013

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's Durkon...but it's not. It's ...Durkon's memories are like firmware, his body being the hardware, and instead of his soul driving, you got another force.

This is the best.

"Oh, your friend died? Have you tried turning him off and on?"

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Forer posted:

This is the best.

Given the bone golem interlude, yeah that's pretty much it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Who What Now posted:

By definition being undead makes you register as Evil to a Detect Evil spell, since you're animated via negative energy.

It's actually interesting. A good undead (in acts and intents) would still be detected as evil; because undead existence is evil in itself.

Likewise for a few other things. A neutral cleric of an evil faith would also be detected as evil, because he is a channel for an evil power, regardless of what he does with it exactly. Such things show that the detect alignment spells are not good ways to judge a character.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Forer posted:

This is the best.

See also: Toy Story 3.

Durkon as a Spanish Mariachi master would let me die happy.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Cat Mattress posted:

It's actually interesting. A good undead (in acts and intents) would still be detected as evil; because undead existence is evil in itself.

Likewise for a few other things. A neutral cleric of an evil faith would also be detected as evil, because he is a channel for an evil power, regardless of what he does with it exactly. Such things show that the detect alignment spells are not good ways to judge a character.

Retroactively giving us another reason to hate Miko.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Durkon just needs to go killing a bunch of gypsies til one curses him with a soul, and be careful not to fall in love with, then subsequently have sex with a teenager.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

greatn posted:

Durkon just needs to go killing a bunch of gypsies til one curses him with a soul, and be careful not to fall in love with, then subsequently have sex with a teenager.

Or get drugged in a badly written adventure that will never be mentioned again.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

greatn posted:

Vamp Durkon in a leather trenchcoat with a bunch of loveable misfits fighting crime? Sign me the gently caress up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

sebmojo posted:

Vamp Durkon in a leather trenchcoat with a bunch of loveable misfits fighting crime? Sign me the gently caress up.
I'm not entirely sure I'm catching the reference here.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Colon V posted:

I'm not entirely sure I'm catching the reference here.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer / Angel

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cat Mattress posted:

A good DM can have a lot of fun with this exact thing, and I suspect that once Durkon is no longer enslaved to Malack I think this very thing will be a big plot point if/when Durkon tries to return to his homeland to warn his clan of Xykon or the Linear Guild coming for Kraagor's gate.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
New comic, looks like poo poo's about to go down in a big way:

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0896.html

Time for V to give the devils their due

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll