Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

York_M_Chan posted:

Egghead is a derogatory term for whites?

Also, I am just not sure what the point of this picture is? Tarantino gets called out all the time by the black community for using that word.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about this and they all have this idea that Paula Deen lost her job and all this JUST for using that word like 1 or 2 times years ago. They don't seem to understand (or don't care) that it wasn't just about using a derogatory word, but also because her brother treated his black employees like poo poo and she was either in on it too or knew about it and did nothing along with some other pretty hosed up stuff. But these idiots think it's just "Paula Deen said a bad word once and the big bad Food Network wrongfully fired her. Stupid PC Police won't let anyone act like a racist rear end in a top hat anymore."

I'm sure there's also a touch of liberals vs. conservatives thrown in too since Paula is seen as a good ol' conservative southern woman and Tarantino is one of those pansy Hollywood types that can do whatever he wants because of the LIEberal media. :bahgawd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

booshi posted:

Another person unfollowed. I almost engaged in this one too. I have no idea why he addresses his concerns about drug testing to Obama (he doesn't work for the government, he's studying to be an auto mechanic), or at all considering how much weed he smokes. He turned 18 in the past year and is now paying taxes so now every tax expense is terrible according to him.

Why not just call him out on the fact he's a raging pothead lambasting against other potheads

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Amused to Death posted:

Why not just call him out on the fact he's a raging pothead lambasting against other potheads

That's probably why he's actually so pissed about having to drug test, since now he has to find some way to pass the test to work instead of just laying around carefree, high and rolling around in a huge pile of free government money like welfare people. Or he thinks all poor people only do really expensive drugs. :shrug:

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

utada posted:

Since it says "married couples" and Missouri doesn't recognize same-sex marriages, aren't they just basically sending a big gently caress you to same-sex couples in Missouri? I'm assuming this is Columbia, Missouri?

Ularg posted:

Did they gently caress up with the words? Like another poster said it sounds like they are taunting same-sex couples inability to get married.

I'm pretty sure these two assessments are correct. It's not an actual offer, it's a "gently caress you."

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
I live in a really conservative county for my state, and I'm getting all kinds of people defending Paula Deen on my Facebook. "RAPPERS CAN SAY IT BUT SHE SAYS IT ONCE AND HER CAREER IS RUINED?!?!?" and someone who seriously said "I'm sure she didn't mean it in a derogatory way!!"

....What the gently caress?

Zeta
Jul 29, 2009

KWEOOOOOO
Pillbug

jiharlequinade posted:

I'm pretty sure these two assessments are correct. It's not an actual offer, it's a "gently caress you."

I really believe you're over-thinking it. They're just trying to do something nice while showing support for same sex couples. The offer could be worded to be a bit more clear, but if they wanted to send a "gently caress you" to same sex couples, they'd have an offer like "buy-one-get-one free for straight couples" or something.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Zeta posted:

I really believe you're over-thinking it. They're just trying to do something nice while showing support for same sex couples. The offer could be worded to be a bit more clear, but if they wanted to send a "gently caress you" to same sex couples, they'd have an offer like "buy-one-get-one free for straight couples" or something.

I called them (all the way from California) and yeah, they're over-thinking it. The woman I spoke with was really nice and enthusiastic that it didn't require a certificate, and that the owner knew some people were coming in with their same-sex friends to take advantage of the offer and they weren't raising a fuss.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I was just gonna link the pic, but then I thought "You know, I'm sure I can find a string of comments to make it 'better...'"

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Post Your Favorite (or Request) > Idiots on Facebook: get a life black people don't make me say the "N" word cause I will

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

PJOmega posted:

I called them (all the way from California) and yeah, they're over-thinking it. The woman I spoke with was really nice and enthusiastic that it didn't require a certificate, and that the owner knew some people were coming in with their same-sex friends to take advantage of the offer and they weren't raising a fuss.

Fair enough. It just seemed like one of those just adorable ways of saying [people who don't exist here] get free stuff, offer rescinded [when you exist here].

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Blind Pineapple posted:

I was just gonna link the pic, but then I thought "You know, I'm sure I can find a string of comments to make it 'better...'"

As a white guy I think other white people getting offended when someone calls them a cracker is the funniest thing in the world. Why would you give a poo poo? Who cares if someone calls you a cracker or a honky? It is isn't even comparable to the world friend of the family. White people shouldn't get offended at being called a cracker because why would you give a poo poo?? Like I just don't get it. How can a white person be offended at "Cracker" or "honkey"? How?

booshi posted:

Another person unfollowed. I almost engaged in this one too. I have no idea why he addresses his concerns about drug testing to Obama (he doesn't work for the government, he's studying to be an auto mechanic), or at all considering how much weed he smokes. He turned 18 in the past year and is now paying taxes so now every tax expense is terrible according to him.

This is also great. I was drug tested at my job once. Seven years ago. When I first got hired. And they don't even do the pee test thing anymore, you hold a cotton swab in your mouth then take it out. Literally that's it. It's the most easy thing in the world

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

jiharlequinade posted:

Fair enough. It just seemed like one of those just adorable ways of saying [people who don't exist here] get free stuff, offer rescinded [when you exist here].

Yeah, I wish they would have worded it a bit more clearly, and you guys aren't the only ones to get the wrong message from it (there were a lot of "do we have to present a certificate" questions), but it is definitely a gesture of support.

I was already pretty much this place's biggest fan before yesterday (it's like having your own local Willy Wonka), so I'm not sure where to go from here.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jun 27, 2013

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Macaluso posted:

As a white guy I think other white people getting offended when someone calls them a cracker is the funniest thing in the world. Why would you give a poo poo? Who cares if someone calls you a cracker or a honky? It is isn't even comparable to the world friend of the family. White people shouldn't get offended at being called a cracker because why would you give a poo poo?? Like I just don't get it. How can a white person be offended at "Cracker" or "honkey"? How?

I have , no poo poo, heard a guy say "Well I'm not offended by honkey so why are black people offended by friend of the family?" in all honesty.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

The "new study" is one reporter going to one Amish community and asking around. Sounds solid to me.

Also from the article, "The Amish are constantly harassed by health officials, who attempt to convince them to vaccinate their children." and, "The numbers are actually skewed against the Amish, since a tiny portion of their children are secretly vaccinated now."

So there are autistic Amish children?

Weeeeeeeeellllll, only because they are secretly being vaccinated by those harassing government officials!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Macaluso posted:

This is also great. I was drug tested at my job once. Seven years ago. When I first got hired. And they don't even do the pee test thing anymore, you hold a cotton swab in your mouth then take it out. Literally that's it. It's the most easy thing in the world

The hard part is not doing the drugs.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

jiharlequinade posted:

Also fair, the wording is juuuuust ambiguous enough to be questionable. It could also have been a statement of "did you get married in another state and MO doesn't recognize it? Bring the certificate from elsewhere and we'll give you b1g1 until MO does recognize your marriage."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Macaluso posted:

Plus if I'm not mistaken, the term Cracker comes from the fact that the white slave owners would crack whips to make the slaves work faster/whatever. So kinda the exact opposite meaning.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

kannonfodder posted:

Plus if I'm not mistaken, the term Cracker comes from the fact that the white slave owners would crack whips to make the slaves work faster/whatever. So kinda the exact opposite meaning.

Slave drivers were rarely the same people as owners, owners didn't get their hands dirty or their brow sweaty doing that kind of thing.

Part of the derision of 'cracker' is that it implies that the person is themselves of low status (usually indentured servants themselves).

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Soviet Commubot posted:

I would be shocked if Missouri law said anything about discrimination based on sexual orientation, so I really doubt they could get in trouble for that.

I'm shocked I haven't had any DOMA fallout on my Facebook from my lovely old Army buddies but here's a guy whining about poor Paula Dean being persecuted. The only guy I know in this thread is the OP.

Ahahahaha, Oh My God, I never thought I would see someone use the term "reverse racism" unironically. This is amazing.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
We have these swap groups around here for people to post used stuff or old stuff they are selling than, than this happens.

The responses at first are hilarious:

Those are the responses on the first two dropdowns, there are 100's more. On a group to try and sell old stuff.

Here is the page he started. His mom has responded to each one of his posts, signing each one of them.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tattoo-Freedom/526760734037999

Flaggy has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Jun 27, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Does what it says on the tin skin.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
But why was the attorney sending letters to him about covering up his shirt? Seems weird unless there's a lot more to it.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

keevo posted:

But why was the attorney sending letters to him about covering up his shirt? Seems weird unless there's a lot more to it.

Posting the letter here momentarily. He updated his facebook name: https://www.facebook.com/GenuineAsshole

All four of the local tv stations are doing stories on this guy ,and will be airing tonight.

Flaggy has a new favorite as of 22:00 on Jun 27, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

York_M_Chan posted:

The "new study" is one reporter going to one Amish community and asking around. Sounds solid to me.

Also from the article, "The Amish are constantly harassed by health officials, who attempt to convince them to vaccinate their children." and, "The numbers are actually skewed against the Amish, since a tiny portion of their children are secretly vaccinated now."

So there are autistic Amish children?

Weeeeeeeeellllll, only because they are secretly being vaccinated by those harassing government officials!

They may not get Autism*, but they sure as gently caress get Polio, Rubella, tetanus, Measles and Pertussis

Wheee! http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=200

*(they totally do, it probably just goes undiagnosed)

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
So Jezebel posted this article(which isn't the idiot part):

This was one of the comments:

What? Is there another meaning of SA goon I'm missing? I know goon by itself is just a normal word, but I've never heard anyone except Something Awful posters called SA goons specifically.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

South-Africa, you know the apartheid guys.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I've watched a couple of episodes of Amish Mafia and I'm pretty sure they all have autism.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
AFAIK South Africa never had tan boy scout-ish uniforms during the Apartheid era(IIRC they wore dark olive-ish colors for their uniforms), and I've never heard goon applied specifically to them, but I guess that could be it.

I also just realized he might've been going for SS/Nazi but typoed. :doh:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Fatkraken posted:

They may not get Autism*, but they sure as gently caress get Polio, Rubella, tetanus, Measles and Pertussis

Wheee! http://childrenshealthcare.org/?page_id=200

*(they totally do, it probably just goes undiagnosed)

Happily, many people chastised the poster for this awful and inaccurate "news" story.

Additionally, I just overheard some people talking about the new Georgia drivers' licenses, the major change being what amounts to a watermark of your photo in the lower corner. One man quickly yelled, "Man, what's next... a microchip in your arm?!" Yep, that is obviously the next logical step.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I also just realized he might've been going for SS/Nazi but typoed. :doh:

SA, as in brownshirts. He does look a bit like a Sturmabteilung goon.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

SA, as in brownshirts.

I feel really dumb now.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Davincie posted:

South-Africa, you know the apartheid guys.
I shouldn't think so, no.

[edit] Dammit.

Caxixi
Sep 20, 2012

I was so upset at how many people I used to be friends with like this status. She had her 6 month old child (he has his own facebook account) like her status too. I guess it's time to clean out my friends list again.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I bet every time these assholes say "Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve," they think they're being really loving clever too.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Adam and Eve probably hosed their kids.

I mean it follows logically. Maybe you could point that out, if we're upholding them as the bastions of real marriage we should probably consider the incest thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I always wonder if these people got just as upset when Bush took more vacation days than any other president in history, including Obama (one third of his total days in office I believe). Or if they even noticed.

Silly Hippie posted:

No, their kids all hosed each other. Adam and Eve didn't have any female children until Adam was over 130 years old, though, so there was probably a fair bit of Oedipal stuff going on with Cain, Abel and Seth.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Silly Hippie posted:

I mean it follows logically. Maybe you could point that out, if we're upholding them as the bastions of real marriage we should probably consider the incest thing.

Either they hosed their kids, their kids hosed each other, or God created a lot more than just Adam and Eve and thus may well have created a Steve out there somewhere.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

No, their kids all hosed each other. Adam and Eve didn't have any female children until Adam was over 130 years old, though, so there was probably a fair bit of Oedipal stuff going on with Cain, Abel and Seth.

They hosed Adam and Lilith's kids, who were living 'one town over' or some bullshit.

(to clarify here, lillith and her kids were banished to the land of Nod because she got uppity or whatever it is that jewish women are want to do, and god was having none of that. Cain and Abel chose their wives from the inhabitants of Nod. Plus, pretty much any on-line forum will tell you that half-sibling incest is perfectly fine and not at all icky and illegal, and anyway, the talmud is sufficiently vague about how many generations happened with liliths kids, and it's perfectly ok to gently caress your step-'great great great neice' or whatever obscure relation they'd work out as)

SybilVimes has a new favorite as of 00:13 on Jun 28, 2013

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

I always wonder if these people got just as upset when Bush took more vacation days than any other president in history, including Obama (one third of his total days in office I believe). Or if they even noticed.

They don't because they believe Obama has already taken more vacation days than any other president, including Bush. I was arguing with a libertarian at work once who could not stop going on about how much vacation Obama takes. He was adamant that Barack had taken more "personal days" in his first three years than GW had in his entire eight. And even if Bush took more time off (which he totally didn't) it was in America and he still worked while on the Ranch so nya nya neener neener.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Amused to Death posted:

He's my BiL's little brother, and a large amount of both of our families are on Facebook. I'd rather not start that drama.

Sagebrush posted:

That was one thing I would have responded (and the fact that in 2011 when drug testing for welfare was done 2% tested positive. By comparison, in 2011, 1.6% of people who were in federally regulated jobs tested positive for drugs), but, eh, :effort:.

I wonder how people like this would react if I told them all of the money I make comes straight from the government [grad student currently funded for my research through an ONR (Office of Naval Research) grant]?

• Locked thread